Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 453952 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2235 on: November 05, 2015, 12:29:35 am »

no screenshots, I took some, but they came out with a black background for some reason. Might be a bit long.

but, with extended timelines (and one that adds a ton of new provinces) I started in year 58. I chose to be the roman empire, a massive empire of course, but very hard to play early on. Dealing with unrest (and tons of religious problems), rebels all over the place and you start in war with parthia.

I've played a few games of extended timelines, and roman empire only won once. up to year year 400 when I had to restart due to updating the mod....so it is possible to do okay for a while. but later when new nations start popping up as the time goes by, its gonna get pretty hard maintaining the empire...but this is so far on my current game

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:33:59 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2236 on: November 05, 2015, 04:14:00 pm »

In the three-way cold war between Russia, China and America, China was the first to tip the scales. Tajikistan attacked China, China annexed all of Tajikistan. Nepal attacked India and was defeated, but drew China in to invade India. With the Chinese logistics stretched from Beijing to Calcutta the Russian army invaded and pushed deep into the Ferghana Valley and the Chinese core. With the Russian army out of place...

AT LAST ESTONIA WAS READY FOR CONQUEST

I never did get to see what happened of that war. I was playing as Great Britain. Queen Elizabeth had passed away.
This left the Throne to Charles of Windsor.
This is Charles. In his rule the constitutional limits to his power were repealed.

This is the world in the year 2038.
This is how much of the world is at war with Great Britain in the year 2038.

It started off with the Dutch invasion of Belgium, which in turn caused the French invasion of the Netherlands (drawing Britain into the war with the Dutch). The British were quite eager to get rid of Dutch pirates and so joined, clearing the north sea. British fleets also began exerting power across the entire Atlantic, with Argentinian, Canadian and American navies shadowing Royal British Navies. British spies likewise sought allies by creating new ones out of rebel groups, most notably with the Guryana tribe on the northernmost tip of Argentina and the Kingdom of Catalonia out of Spain. Surprisingly for some reason Mexico grew enamoured with the prospect of destroying Britain and endlessly sent spies and saboteurs to London, and so London in turn sent gifts to Mexico as well. Neither Mexico or Britain is yet to gain the upper hand in this bizarre cold war, though British pirates now roam the Mexican gulf. Some other weird things include the Sudanese and Malaysian attempts to invade Spain... I still don't understand what that was about. With French help, the Sudanese successfully landed in Spain.
Anyways, the Dutch were defeated, but it would not be long before the British were once more called to trade war with the Dutch - just as the Germans and their vast alliance (which I suppose is the European Union, albeit one without France or Britain but includes Russia) were invading the Dutch. The British were invading to restore the Belgian lands and end Dutch ambitions in the English channel, which very quickly ended with the creation of the Free Lowlands puppet state and the Netherlands being reduced to Holland and a British vassal. This drew the Germans to war with the British, but after two brief naval battles and the Germans already having fought for quite some time, the Germans made peace after being given the Dutch territories they occupied.
The side effect of this militant protestant Kingdom and this bureaucratic authoritarian Republic partitioning the entire Dutch state created three coalitions. A coalition against France, a coalition against Germany and a coalition against Great Britain.
This may well be the end of the Catalonian Kingdom and the Free Lowlands. So far Great Britain has been a bastion of wealth and investment as it has convinced everyone the world over that its security is unparalleled, but I am seriously questioning whether I can defeat the navies of oh so many nations. On the bright side, at least the Germans are happy with their Dutchlands to add to their Deutschland. The battle of Britain begins! We have successfully started WWIII!

My strategy is to hold the ocean line and bid my continental allies adieu, as there is simply no halting that many soldiers on land. I cannot count on a Chinese intervention as the Koreans are invading them (North Korea invaded South Korea, South Korea annexed North Korea after a crushing victory) and I cannot count on an American intervention as President Ambrose Churchill is very indecisive and more concerned with stopping the Mexicans and Canadians from killing each other. Maybe the Iranians or Saudi Arabians could do me a solid.
In the meantime, EVERYONE'S GETTING REBELS, WHEN IN DOUBT - JAMES BOND TIME :D

*EDIT
Surprised the French fleet in the English channel and the Belgian army is kicking surprising amounts of Baguette bums. GO BELGIUM, LEAD OUR ALLIANCE TO VICTORY
The Catalonians likewise march north. The rest of the continental army is yet to arrive, hopefully the Catalonian-Belgian forces will be able to strike fast enough to bring an early end to the French menace.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:29:32 pm by Loud Whispers »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: November 05, 2015, 04:33:01 pm »

In 2038 there was that one little bit of Russia that was unexplored.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: November 06, 2015, 09:51:06 am »

Since nobody mentioned it, there was a dev diary.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: November 06, 2015, 10:28:11 am »

Brazil lost Acre and a shitton of forest to Peru? What the hell, get your shit together Brazil!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: November 06, 2015, 11:06:29 am »

Brazil lost Acre and a shitton of forest to Peru? What the hell, get your shit together Brazil!
Don't be silly. There is no such thing as "Acre".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2241 on: November 06, 2015, 03:54:23 pm »

The French fleet were surprised in the channel and destroyed. The Belgians and Catalonians though valiant were forced to peace and pay war reparations, they got off lightly considering things. White Squadron blockaded the French Atlantic Coast whilst the Royal Navy occupied Iceland and Greenland. Danish, Estonian, Norwegian, Swedish, French and Portuguese Navies all prodded at the British defences, but were unable to corner White Squadron whilst they themselves were steadily eliminated by the Royal Navy. Towards the end of the year the North Sea was mostly secure and most initial naval attacks successfully thwarted. One crucial turning point would have to be when the Russian Navy was trapped and destroyed in the icy waters off Loftofen, but the battle had only begun.
The British funded dissidents everywhere to cripple the great European coalition. 29,000 Swedish patriots rose up in Norway under British guidance alongside 68,000 Swedish rebel soldiers in Sweden, also under British guidance. 25,000 Italians in France. With the Germans being drawn into WWIII after the Swiss invaded France, Denmark, Sweden and Norway were now de facto out of the show and British blockades would begin encroaching deeper into Scandinavian seas. The greatest triumph occurred when the British successfully turned inordinate amounts of money into Ukrainian nationalists attempting to secure freedom from Russia - 105,000 patriots rose up at a time where the Russian army was occupying the Netherlands, and had just lost 35,000 men fighting Dutch revolutionaries. Russia withdrew from the Dutch lands.
By 2039 the British blockade had successfully brought peace with insignificant nations in the Caribbean, but it was a moral boost nonetheless. Moreover it began moving south - after having destroyed the main Portuguese navy, the Royal Navy began blockading all of Portugal. This would prove to be very costly, as the Portuguese would destroy many ships using guerilla tactics and torpedo boats throughout the war.
Destroying the Russian black sea fleet, the Croatian fleet, the Turkish fleet, the Greek fleet, the Italian fleet and all manners of Navies in a colossal game of cat and mouse that spanned 3 years, the British blockaded all of Europe from Constantinople to Sevilla, with the Black Sea and Eastern Adriatic notably remaining free of Royal Navy presence due to Russian and Turkish fleets. Chios, the Aegean Islands, Crete, Venice, Rome, Corsica and Sardinia - all fell to British forces but the overwhelming strength of the European alliance meant that France was unconcerned and victory was inevitable.

And victory was inevitable. Throughout the war with extremely careful micromanaging the British had avoided a serious naval defeat - a single loss would precipitate the fall of Britain. But even with the most serious contenders knocked out of the sea, the resources of the entire world were far superior to that of solitary Britain. It was all over if nothing was done soon.

There was only one thing to do, and plan a beach landing in France whilst outnumbered by 10,000 to 1. The Swiss and Germans had made peace but the damage they had inflicted upon France had been sweet, and the costly occupation of the Netherlands and the total blockade of France was doing wonders to demoralize the French. They had once chance at Caux and unbelievably the British won, killing 35,000 Frenchmen, capturing 10,000 and rolling tanks down Paris. With the French people close to breaking point (so much so that they were about to join the British invasion), France surrendered. Caux, Greenland and Iceland went to the Brits. Of note is that the Dutch also joined in on the landing - having set sail from their Caribbean island with 2,000 men to liberate their lowlands. After 10 years of war and after having spent $310,200,000,000 with the loss of millions of Europeans (British only lost tens of thousands, though their rebel allies fared worse off) the war was over. The rebels however did not go away, and the revolutionaries in the Netherlands had to be eliminated with British peacekeepers whilst the Kurds, Swedes, Serbians and Ukrainians all fighting with British resources continued to fight.
After neurotically hunting for enemy fleets from the arctic to the baltic to the meditteranean, at last the entire world was defeated. It was also 3:00AM, and is why EU4 ET: NOT EVEN ONCE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2242 on: November 06, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »

UK stronk!
The real winner of the war was the USA, their trade income quadrupled in the absence of European and Chinese competition

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: November 11, 2015, 11:48:14 am »

cossacks dlc is going to be released december 1st! :D https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/Cossacks-Release-Date/

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: November 11, 2015, 12:30:52 pm »

- Improved Espionage: New spy actions allow you to study the technology of more advanced countries and prod your rivals’ subjects towards independence.
New spy actions allow you to study the technology of more advanced countries and prod your rivals’ subjects towards independence.

study the technology of more advanced countries

YES

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: November 11, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »

Sounds odd because there's already a tech discount for having a more advanced neighbor.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: November 11, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »

Sounds odd because there's already a tech discount for having a more advanced neighbor.
The espionage action allows you to get an extra MP each month if you have a next door nation 2 techs ahead. Admittedly its not too useful, but its something nice to have.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: November 11, 2015, 01:07:22 pm »

That would be useful late game when you need tons of admin and dip points for coring and annexing even with admin efficiency of 60%.  Stay behind on all tech except military and get a few bonus mp.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: November 11, 2015, 05:48:57 pm »

It's possible that espionage may be good enough to edge out diplomatic as a good early pick (maybe 3rd), but I'd say only when starting in an easy tech group. Otherwise by the time you get a 3rd idea group, you're probably the biggest nation around and the other advantages of espionage no longer apply. I also play very vassal-heavy, and find the +2 diprep, warscore cost reduction, relations slot, diplomat/+relations, and stab penalty reduction essential, so I think I'd still prefer diplomatic. Though that is very good, +1/1/1 a month can be thought of as only taking ~10 years to pay for itself (the 400 dip cost), and if you do it continuously for the whole game, that's pretty huge.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: November 11, 2015, 07:44:19 pm »

Diplomatic and Influence are two very powerful idea groups.  You'll want both for any Christian country.  Diplomatic's finisher is really powerful.  Exploration is a necessity for certain countries.  Espionage would have to be pretty powerful overall to compete with them.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 216