Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 453960 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #645 on: September 04, 2013, 10:33:50 pm »

Really only created the HRE for the achievement and getting rid of the awful German coat of arms which looks like a joke compared to Prussia and the HRE.

I mean just look at it.

"Everyone calm the fuck down, I'm a crow."

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #646 on: September 04, 2013, 11:08:37 pm »

Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 04, 2013, 11:18:26 pm »

I thought about that comic just as I posted. I'm actually rather fond of the Connacht coat of arms due to the shear nonsensicalness of it. Some people might debate the meaning of the germanic eagle and knight's arm but all I see is an angry bird with a single buffed arm out for revenge.

Corsica also gets an honourable mention.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 05, 2013, 12:31:14 am »

Man after a hundred years, the native americans don't do anything.
Do what? Declare war on Super France?
Expand, and colonized. They had time to expand before France.
Afaik, only Portugal, Spain (Castille), France, GB (England), Netherlands and Norway (might have forgotten one) take Explorations. Plus, it can be quite hard to reach adm 4 before they arrive. As Kongo, I only have 20 years between the time I unlock it and they come, and Sub-Saharan is a bit better than New World. I'm pretty sure the AI don't reach it.
My Japan took Explorations. After all Americas is the only way to guarantee westernization eligibility.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 05, 2013, 08:03:50 am »

So I got a PU with Britain as Scandinavia, then Poland(my ally) asked me to join a war vs britain.
I was confused so I saved before clicking yes, and I ended up fighting Britain, but the British troops had blue icons, instead of red.
Weird...

Naturally I reloaded and just took the prestige hit.
I guess Poland is next on the list now...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:46 pm »

My Japan took Explorations. After all Americas is the only way to guarantee westernization eligibility.

Which is one of the most ridiculous things in a so-called 'historical' game. There's so many things wrong with EU4 vanilla ranging from zero national idea balance to the simply asanine and not-playtested at all coalitions, the fact that trade is stagnant and does not change at all over time, I get what they were trying to do but they basically made a simplified EU3 system [without dynamic nodes] and slapped-on trade routes, with varying amounts of historical accuracy..

Spoiler: Anger (click to show/hide)

About trade: How the new trade nodes work, with London getting a bonus to income due to being a 'center of trade' but places like the Gulf Of Aden trade node have no complimentary province, it should be consistent or have no province-specific bonuses at all. Unless everyone dinghied their goods into the middle of the ocean to trade goods at places like Bordeaux and Settsu..

I've simply stopped playing and picked up MEIOU 5.6 for EU3 again and remembered why I didn't like EU3 vanilla, and why I do not like EU4 vanilla. Waiting for MEIOU&Taxes with bated breath, otherwise I'm done with EU4. I don't think I'll be buying another Paradox launch until the total conversions [good versions] are out anymore.

Oh, I also severely dislike the simplified advisor system. Playing EU3 MEIOU reminds me how much depth there used to be to advisors and the choices you could make in them.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172185692

Oh, and I ran across this. Mod of the year.

So I got a PU with Britain as Scandinavia, then Poland(my ally) asked me to join a war vs britain.
I was confused so I saved before clicking yes, and I ended up fighting Britain, but the British troops had blue icons, instead of red.
Weird...

Naturally I reloaded and just took the prestige hit.
I guess Poland is next on the list now...

And yeah, for some reason you can be asked to join wars you'd otherwise be unable to join, the AI is absolutely foolish and does not take the same penalties you do if they refuse your request to go to war with someone they have  PU/Alliance with. I've been asked to join a war by the Major partner on both sides, and a junior, and declining them all cost me 75 prestige. They didn't think to implement a 'Stay neutral in war' option. Refusing to attack an ally is not telling your other allies to piss off, i'd hazard a guess that a -20 'Non involvement' penalty to both parties would be good, but not massive prestige hits and annuled alliances. I do not form alliances unless I know they will be immediately useful and exploitable. There are no such things as long term alliances in EU4 anymore. They severely fucked up their own system, if they're not a vassal they are not your friend, no matter what their opinion of you is.

Hell, I released a country on my border and then a few months after their birth they coalitioned up against me with the same guy I released them from. Diplomacy does not exist in EU4 because they set AI aggressiveness/suicidal tendencies at a maximum.

On that note, I've had nations with royal marriages attack me before a truce was over, only to get no hit to stability. You'd think they would fix obvious AI cheating but hey, that's Paradox. Even a -1 to their stability would've been nice, to stop the AI from doing such things. Marrying to other nations and forming alliances only hurts you in the long run. Unless you know you will PU/vassalize a country do not ever get a royal marriage.

Works out better when you don't have those -1 stab hits laying around all over the goddamn place because AI diplomacy consists of 'coalition and human wave PC until they stop having fun'.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:12:18 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 05, 2013, 12:14:27 pm »

Muscat gets the income bonus from the gulf of Aden node. Check yourself, I noticed it during one of my Omani World Trade Domination games.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 05, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »

I hope MEIOU will be good, but if it's anything like EU3 it will be good, but also a bloating mess of unnecessary "features". Whomever made that seems to think "MOAR = BETTER" regardless of what you're talking about :/

Their map looks pretty though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 05, 2013, 12:20:07 pm »

Never much been a fan of having to border a western power to westernise.
The only non-European nation that really got close to westernising in the time frame was Japan which didn't have a direct land bridge with any Europeans.

A couple of requirements for westernising instead could be stuff like owning a trade node with europeans trading in it, having a high relationship and an alliance with an european power, and perhaps agreeing to convert or becoming highly tolerant of christians.   
Westernising should be a little less painful but should give a rather large trade malus for a few decades, abstracting that you've given in to western influences and are offering trade access in return for technological and governing advice.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:22:54 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 05, 2013, 12:22:15 pm »

I hope MEIOU will be good, but if it's anything like EU3 it will be good, but also a bloating mess of unnecessary "features". Whomever made that seems to think "MOAR = BETTER" regardless of what you're talking about :/

Their map looks pretty though.

D&T team is much more !!Fun!! leaning than MEIOU's !!Extreme feature addition!!/province addiction which is why I look forward so much to what the teams are putting together.

A couple of requirements for westernising instead could be stuff like owning a trade node with europeans trading in it, having a high relationship and an alliance with an european power or perhaps agreeing to convert or becoming highly tolerant of christians.   
Westernising should be a little less painful but should give a rather large trade malus for a few decades, abstracting that you've given in to western influences and are offering trade access in return for technological and governing advice.

If only they had bothered to make Westernization a dynamic requirement set as opposed to a hard requirement.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:38 pm »

Woah, I just had Lorraine inherit Burgundy in the Burgundian Succession Crisis. Hopefully they can avoid being atomized by France.

Has anyone else had wacky Burgundy inheritances?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:43 pm »

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?709144-The-Three-Mountains-A-Ryukyu-AAR&p=16155113&viewfull=1#post16155113
He actually did it.

And this is how Paradox responds:
fyi, the following exploits are closed

- exiled units can no longer loot.
- navies can not be exiled.
- defeat rebels mission no longer gives +2 stability.
- coalitions will now always join in defensively in wars, even if they got a truce.
- it is no longer possible to westernize while overextended.
- countries becoming republics now start with 50 republican tradition.
- years_of_income is now excluding all non-monthly incomes.
- rebels use the best possible unittype, not the one you have selected.

Specifically:
- coalitions will now always join in defensively in wars, even if they got a truce.

Really? Paradox is literally the most non-thinking group of developers. Naw, fuck accessibility and bugfixes lets just let AI cheat around truces some more. Why even have truces? Just apply them to the player, don't lie to me and give AI nations truces they never have to follow. Seriously, two actual bugfixes from that AAR? Did they even pay attention? WC is not possible without PU/vassal manipulation, which in the real world is called exploits. The response to a broken exploit-laden WC is to allow AI to break truces thanks to coalitions and nerfing an event which simply needed to be made to trigger less often, and the obviously broken exiled units [which goes to show how EU4 was not playtested before release].

Revolutionary CB being broken to the point of allowing a 2-war annex of HRE..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:22:36 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »

I assume they made it so the player also can go past truces while in a coalition too.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 18, 2013, 12:04:25 am »

Hrmmm, sounds like this isn't going to be like EU3 where you can just get insanely strong with anyone and then devour entire countries. No WC = no fun. Let my alternate reality be as chaotic as I want it to be!

I was gonna buy this on the next big sale, but maybe not even then.

Did EU3 sound this bad when it first came out?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 216