Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - Game Over!  (Read 86342 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - The Trials have Begun
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2012, 06:47:47 am »

Dariush:
Also, what Jim asked. Why is his vote bad and stupid while Tiruin's is much worse (from logic standpoint), yet which you let pass? Survivors can easily lift the corpse and make it touch the orb, which isn't so easy to do with a statue. I'm beginning to notice a particular pattern of... selectiveness on your part in this game. Also, what the hell was up with that orb? Why do you even have it?
Who said anything about survivors?
Survivors = everyone who isn't the dead guy. Aren't you alive? Because I'm pretty sure I am.

Fuckthras, why do you have two pieces of shit instead of one brain?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59:21 am »

The Statue does not respond.
The statue does not respond...or does not mind being voted!

Bah. Unvote! At least the skeleton can be voted.

Hey, statue thing! Or Mod, when someone gets lynched, they have to pass an orb trial or something that involves them orbs, aye?

Also, I'm staring at the door or covering that blocks our entrance. What do I see, yo?

Somehow, I think dat skeleton acts like a...safe-lynch? The only no-lynch we'll be having this game because of the details on it...

Hey everyone, I'm gonna poke that skeleton. Mmmk? Tell me if you don't want to.

Also, I'm checking myself for pockets. What do I see? Also, does the skeleton have a femur? I like femurs...Umm, why did this skeleton die alone here? There must be others inside or...he was a lone explorer-type?

To continue Toaster's question: Meph: Will there be full roleflips?

((Ok, done fooling around with the RP  :P All questions asked there are serious though, cept' for the thigh bone.

Also, may be busy in the next few hours. Midterms are wrapping up and I'll be free then!))

...Do we need to eat or drink here?

zombie urist: You are that skeleton, are you not?  :o

Nevertheless, to what degree of suspicion does the presence of that NPC present to you?

Jim: Woohoo! We've an NPC!

Anyway,

Dariush: Uhh, we didn't die from anything yet. Also, nothing looks threatening enough here but those orbs in context. And the fact that this place is a grave and has high bacterial content...and I forgot my antiseptic...

Nevertheless, why ask Bookthras about the state of his cranium? Also, from a logical standpoint, why aren't you testing out any variable that would be relevant to our case currently? The statue seemed like a good idea, Jim saw something there and voted Skeleton, we have something new.

And, your survivor thing...why the specific wording?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2012, 08:08:07 am »

EBWOP:

Jim: Woohoo! We've an NPC!

Anyway, are you thinking of keeping that vote on the skeleton or moving that vote?

Dariush: Uhh, we didn't die from anything yet. Also, nothing looks threatening enough here but those orbs in context. And the fact that this place is a grave and has high bacterial content...and I forgot my antiseptic...

Nevertheless, why ask Bookthras about the state of his cranium? Also, from a logical standpoint, why aren't you testing out any variable that would be relevant to our case currently? The statue seemed like a good idea, Jim saw something there and voted Skeleton, we have something new.

And, your survivor thing...why the specific wording? And your vote on Bookthras, you do realize he may have shortened the quote to address OB's question in that post, right?

Fix'd

Hapah: Don't drink and post.  :P
Nevertheless, let's say you're an exorcist! Will you use your powers on our skeleton here to find out more on it, or will you relent and use powers on something else? Meaning: Will you focus on figuring out the puzzle//bastardiness of this set-up, or on hunting scum?

Bookthras:
Tiruin:
Bookthras: As a fellow-lover of flavor'd games, I'd like to ask, when do you think flavor will play an important role? After player's deaths meaning the type of death, or on the general setting and such?
Meph's games are special in a number of ways. One of these is that flavour is always important, and it may mean something game related. This is not the case in most games, and most game hosts should not attempt it unless they are really sure they know what they are doing. To answer your question, I think it is already meaningful on the D1 start post, as well as his (non)answers so far, and it will certainly be meaningful at the D1-end and D2-start post. There will be clues, which we must understand and take into account, or fail.
So like the other games Meph made, other than scumhunting, you say that flavor is an aide to winning?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2012, 08:19:27 am »

Nevertheless, why ask Bookthras about the state of his cranium?
Because he ignored several of my questions that accompanied a vote on him.
Also, from a logical standpoint, why aren't you testing out any variable that would be relevant to our case currently? The statue seemed like a good idea, Jim saw something there and voted Skeleton, we have something new.
Because even in full-bastard PM Meph didn't use particularly bastardly mechanics and the main focus remained on finding scum. Since this is only semi-bastard, I have little doubt that there's not much we can actually do beyond finding scum. My guess would be that the skeleton is intended to let us skip a day or maybe observe the activation of an Orb without risk to any of the living players.
And, your survivor thing...why the specific wording?
I wanted to contrast the fact that we survived until now with the fact that this guy didn't. So, 'everyone else who isn't this guy take this guy and touches the orb with his hand instead of somehow making him touch the orb on his own'.

PPE:
And your vote on Bookthras, you do realize he may have shortened the quote to address OB's question in that post, right?
Only one of the three questions asked by me were the same as OB's. He still didn't explain his own orb and he didn't explain why he decided to give Jim shit while ignoring Tiruin.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2012, 09:21:47 am »

The Vote Tally
Bookthras: Dariush, zombie urist, Shakerag
Dariush: IronyOwl, Tiruin
zombie urist: Bookthras
Toaster: Hapah
Skeleton: Jim Groovester

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Friday

Mod: Can we extend/shorten? How will those affect gameplay?

You may Extend or Shorten as normal.

Hey, statue thing! Or Mod, when someone gets lynched, they have to pass an orb trial or something that involves them orbs, aye?

Also, I'm staring at the door or covering that blocks our entrance. What do I see, yo?

Somehow, I think dat skeleton acts like a...safe-lynch? The only no-lynch we'll be having this game because of the details on it...

Hey everyone, I'm gonna poke that skeleton. Mmmk? Tell me if you don't want to.

Also, I'm checking myself for pockets. What do I see? Also, does the skeleton have a femur? I like femurs...Umm, why did this skeleton die alone here? There must be others inside or...he was a lone explorer-type?

To continue Toaster's question: Meph: Will there be full roleflips?

((Ok, done fooling around with the RP  :P All questions asked there are serious though, cept' for the thigh bone.

Also, may be busy in the next few hours. Midterms are wrapping up and I'll be free then!))

...Do we need to eat or drink here?

Yes, Lynching a person involves having them Activate an Orb.

The door is gone, replaced by a solid stone wall. All attempts to find the door or open the wall have failed.

You have whatever supplies you brought with you. No, they will not be especially relevant to the game.

Conjecture on the skeleton is just that, conjecture.

There will be Role-flips this game.

You have sufficient supplies to last you to the end of the Trials.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2012, 10:29:19 am »

Book:
It seemed to me his vote of the skeleton was not a sincere attempt to learn anything, but merely to waste time, given he didn't ask questions (to Meph) or stated a purpose or expected it to do anything.

...however, his vote having been reflected was very surprising (especially, as you said, since votes on the statue and Mepth didn't stick), so I withdraw my objection -- it clearly was effective.

How was it wasting time if it was done in RANDOM vote stage while the rest of his post is game-relevant content?  I think you're trying to make something out of nothing.

What have you interpreted so far from the flavor?
Not sure. There are many clues, but not some structure to piece them together yet. I intend to keep poking at it until something coalesces.

This is in stark contrast from your attack on Jim.

Also, this is fun:

Bottle:
... you accused Jim of wasting time ...

... It seemed to me his vote of the skeleton was not a sincere attempt to learn anything, but merely to waste time ...

I'm sensing a problem here.

ZU:  Welcome aboard!  What's the scummiest thing you've seen so far?

Deathsword:  When you get back, please list at least two people you're suspicious of and why.

Hapah:
Toaster: Regarding Book's question, how would a kill-immune townie be a problem? I'm not sure I follow.

Wasn't that your question to start with?

In any case, kill-immune townies are bad for scum because they waste kills on them.  Did that really need to be said?

Dariush:
Nevertheless, why ask Bookthras about the state of his cranium?
Because he ignored several of my questions that accompanied a vote on him.

Then why not say so instead of just trolling?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2012, 10:35:09 am »

PFP

Toaster: lol, DERP. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Thank you.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2012, 11:44:04 am »

Bookthras thinks me laconic
Unlike you, histrionic
   We need to know the game's trick
   So to Jim don't be a prick
Or when we lose you'll find me sardonic
So what are your reasons for voting Book?
Mostly because he seemed to be not focusing on the bastardy aspects of the game.

Having said that, however, the skeleton.  The fact that a non-player is actually able to be voted is very significant in my mind.  I'm very much in favor of seeing what this does.  Like I said before, figuring out the mechanics are necessary.  Once we at least have an idea on the bastardly mechanics we can properly scumhunt.  I keep thinking back to reading Bastard Paranormal 1 and how town got royally fucked. 

Also:  I vote Bookthras for King of the Limericks.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:58 am »

PFP

I think the better question is who is going to (or would, someone else might end up getting lynched) guide Bones over to the Orb. Meph seems to indicate that someone has to do it. I guess the lynchee could decide if they want to use the skeleton or not.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2012, 01:23:42 pm »

Jim: it tickles me greatly to see you playing the limerick game. Good one! Do more!

Tiruin:
So like the other games Meph made, other than scumhunting, you say that flavor is an aide to winning?
Yes, but indirectly: understanding the flavour will help solve the puzzle, which ought to be necessary for a path to victory, but should not distract from the hunting which I expect will still be crucial. However, I think you know this, and know that I think so, so your question reads like temporising or buddying; how about your scum suspicions so far or non-flavour related insights?

Toaster:
It seemed to me his vote of the skeleton was not a sincere attempt to learn anything, but merely to waste time, given he didn't ask questions (to Meph) or stated a purpose or expected it to do anything.
How was it wasting time if it was done in RANDOM vote stage while the rest of his post is game-relevant content?  I think you're trying to make something out of nothing.
At the time it seemed suspect because he merely voted without adding anything (like questions to the mod or related flavour), and explicitly said he didn't expect it to work. I didn't consider it wasteful from the outset, I merely asked him "What do you hope to accomplish by this?" to which he replied basically "nothing", so I concluded he did it only to waste time. Why else do something you expect will accomplish nothing?

Tiruin, on the other hand, at least added some context to his flavour exploration, added some questions and speculation. It didn't seem wasteful in comparison. Only Jim's actually had an effect, though, so it wasn't wasteful after all. No big secret here.

Also, this is fun:
Bottle: ... you accused Jim of wasting time ...
... It seemed to me his vote of the skeleton was not a sincere attempt to learn anything, but merely to waste time ...
I'm sensing a problem here.
I think you're trying to make something out of nothing; in this case by quote mining: you snipped the crucial part of my question to Bottle that explains this:
Quote from: me, to Bottle
Your post was after Meph confirmed the skeleton as a vote target. Do you think it was a waste of time? [which he answered in the affirmative]
I initially thought Jim was wasting time. Once his vote stuck, I clearly was wrong and retracted it. Bottle, however, doubled-down on it and insisted it was still wasting time. Different, yes?

Did you not notice this relevant difference before you posted your question?

Zombie: as Bottle's replacement, what is your take on this? Do you stand by your predecessor's conclusions?

Dariush:
He still didn't explain his own orb and he didn't explain why he decided to give Jim shit while ignoring Tiruin.
I answered the others. I skipped the orb one because it was idiotic, but here's the answer: I conjured it out of thin air through the power of flavour!

Shakerag:
Having said that, however, the skeleton.  The fact that a non-player is actually able to be voted is very significant in my mind.  I'm very much in favor of seeing what this does.  Like I said before, figuring out the mechanics are necessary.  Once we at least have an idea on the bastardly mechanics we can properly scumhunt.
Oh, this is not good. No, you cannot postpone scumhunting until after you figure out the mechanics. We probably won't understand them until D2 at the earliest (with flips and orb activations and night passing and whatnot), so should we not hunt at all D1? Why?

However your vote (the skeleton one, not the limerick one (but thanks)) gives me an idea: Meph: when Jim voted the skeleton you asked him who should place the skeleton's hand on the Orb; will you ask the same question of Shakerag? What if their answers differ? Can they compel someone to do the skeleton hand thing, or do they have to consent? Would doing this trigger the end of the day?

Also:  I vote Bookthras for King of the Limericks.
If I win this vote, would that make me "one of true Majesty"?

Hapah:
I guess the lynchee could decide if they want to use the skeleton or not.
I think this is an interesting idea and has potential.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:31 pm »

However your vote (the skeleton one, not the limerick one (but thanks)) gives me an idea: Meph: when Jim voted the skeleton you asked him who should place the skeleton's hand on the Orb; will you ask the same question of Shakerag? What if their answers differ? Can they compel someone to do the skeleton hand thing, or do they have to consent? Would doing this trigger the end of the day?

People are welcome to vote for the Skeleton. If the Skeleton is Lynched, then someone will need to actually use the skeleton to Activate the Orb. Who does that could be voluntary, or forced by being second-place in votes.

No matter how or when it is achieved, Activating an Orb will end the day.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2012, 01:38:30 pm »

PFP

Meph: Can people vote for the skeleton and another person, or only one or the other?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2012, 01:40:46 pm »

PFP

Meph: Can people vote for the skeleton and another person, or only one or the other?

Each person gets one vote.
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »

I have a good feeling that whoever holds the skeleton will share his fate.
So, should we go for both someone and a skeleton? What if the skeleton is the only one who goes?
Almost a waste.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »

I have a good feeling that whoever holds the skeleton will share his fate.
Yes, I think Meph's last posts make it very likely (but not certain) the skeleton thing is a red herring, and that activating the orb with or without it will still mean a traditional lynch. Though it's interesting people can "volunteer" to do it... I guess that means there are no jesters.

Also I note he didn't ask Shakerag for his nomination of who should activate it.

So, should we go for both someone and a skeleton? What if the skeleton is the only one who goes?
Almost a waste.
Dude, didn't you see the "each person has one vote" thing? How do you propose you could go for both? (incidentally, it also likely means no enchanters, or whatever their Supernatural equivalent would be). Also, the skeleton can't be the only one who goes... because he already went! It's dead, Jim (uh, Org).

At this point, I'm thinking voting for the skeleton is indeed not very useful, as one'd be merely passing the lynch buck to whoever is second in votes. It's interesting from the flavour/puzzle point of view though, as it at least showed us some of Meph's thinking.

Org, Deathsword, IronyOwl: please get more involved, give your top suspicions and/or puzzle-related ideas, and ask each other a question.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31