Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 181676 times)

Eltrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #615 on: October 18, 2013, 01:40:34 pm »

The resources in that folder are a subset of what I've already found when it comes to Ponies.
The Griffins and other stuff are new though.

Like I said, the Cutiemark system broke a lot of the existing stonsense stuff, so I'm going through and fixing it all at the moment.
I'm currently in the process of redoing and expanding the Pony Stonsense graphics library. I'm going to try to take full advantage of the cutiemark system to generate unique and easily Identifiable sprites. I'm adding a lot of new sprites, and I'll post some screen-shots shortly. And then a download when It's done.

These ponies are going to be so identifiable, you'll feel bad every time you let one die. (Or at least I will.)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 18, 2013, 03:49:15 pm »

I already feel bad when a pony dies, and that's when they're just a little 'p' wandering around on the screen.  :)

Good luck to you though, adding and updating that many sprites is going to be a lot of work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 18, 2013, 06:14:01 pm »

I'm looking forward to seeing your sprites and getting a download, then. Especially if your work is going to be easily portable to other Pony mods (I'm a fan of FoE mod). As far as I remember, someone posted the griffin, zebra and other sprites in the old pony mod thread about 2 years ago, but I might have missed something. Or maybe I just asked someone in that thread to send me his work in progress / private copy of griffin, zebra and other pony-related sprites and that's why I have them and you didn't.

Anyway, this is not much of an issue if you can make your own sprites. I tried, but my GIMP skills weren't up to it.

> I'm currently in the process of redoing and expanding the Pony Stonsense graphics library.
Huh? Do you mean you're making your own sprites or did you actually fork stonesense source code?

> I already feel bad when a pony dies, and that's when they're just a little 'p' wandering around on the screen.
I kinda got used to it. It's like having pets. You get attached to them, they die before you do and the life goes on. I had so many cats and dogs that I kinda got used to it.

> they're just a little 'p' wandering around on the screen.
In FoE mod there are some custom sprites for items and monsters, but ponies are represented by "u" or "p" as well. It turns out, items need one sprite, creatures maybe 1-4 and playable races use a sprite-sheet just for themselves, with all the professions, castes, gender and age, so it can come to well over a hundred sprites. I'm talking about things like Phobeus here, not stonesense.

> Ty for the info zarlak.
Lol, "zarlak" or rather "żarłok" means glutton in Polish.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Eltrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2013, 07:24:52 pm »

Not forking Stonesense, just doing most everything from scratch, but I don't want to call it my own work, as I've copied and pasted a lot of what the last guy left behind.

The sprites should be portable, but the XML file will need to be adapted to fit whatever Caste System the Mod is using. I haven't checked, but I think it's different.
The good news is that it's all done with scripts, and It will probably be really easy for me to generate a Fallout: Equastria xml after I finish this one.

I'm pretty handy with gimp, so It's no big deal when I have to draw a thing or two. I'm not an a amazing artist, but it's just pixel art so it's not hard to make it look great if you have a base to start with. I should have my first Screen shots late tonight.

Eltrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 19, 2013, 01:56:45 am »

Finally got some results.

Yes the Red Pegasus doesn't have any eyes.
As a matter of fact the Mare is supposed to be a Pegasus too. (and the offset on her hair is bad)
But It's a good first result.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 19, 2013, 06:04:58 am »

> The good news is that it's all done with scripts, and It will probably be really easy for me to generate a Fallout: Equastria xml after I finish this one.
Great. It your scripts aren't too embarrassingly messy, please share them after you're done, along with the sprites.

> I'm pretty handy with gimp, so It's no big deal when I have to draw a thing or two.
The thing I tried was to set maximum zoom and try to calculate all the offsets in my head, while using a 1x1 brush of solid colour, but it got frustrating pretty fast. Plus I can't draw. I saw some program specifically for drawing spritesheets, but I forgot the name.

> Yes the Red Pegasus doesn't have any eyes.
> As a matter of fact the Mare is supposed to be a Pegasus too. (and the offset on her hair is bad)
Yeah, I've hit a problem similar to this pretty fast. The thing is, stonesense rules for sprites may overlap and when they do, the first matching rule is used to generate character sprite. So you may need to re-order the rules and make them stricter, but when I tried that, I broke something and it was worse than before.

Anyway, these are my best results from Dawnpick (with Nikodeng's mod) (I don't put images here directly because they are big):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71287918/screenshot1.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71287918/screenshot6.png
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Eltrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:15 am »

I have fixed most of the glitches and will post some stuff when my internet comes back up. One thing that has popped up is that when mothers carry infants, the zoom modifier breaks and the baby becomes large and glitchy...

Foals however work, and grow up convincingly.
Colour definitions could use work but that is largely seperate.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 20, 2013, 04:55:43 am »

IIRC, I had to use the same sprites for babies and foals because of some issue.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Eltrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53:57 pm »

alright v1.0 of my stonesense graphics set

Ponies Bucking Apples

The White Pinkie Pie grows up. (ignore glitched pegasi in first pic, that has been fixed)

Here's one with a Male Foal for completeness sake.

get it here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=78478569403711922703

These files  go in (your dwarf fortress install location)/stonesense/creatures/

for those of you interested in building your own xmls

http://pastebin.com/XKmNtdQP

It's written for Bash, so it should work on any Linux / Intel Mac computer.
I takes a folder named CASTE_DATA in the working directory containing Female_Earth, Male_Earth, Female_Pegasi, Male_Pegasi, Female_Unicorns, Male_Unicorns, each of which are plain text with all the castes which should appear as that sort of pony. (one per line)

To do:
Babies (still a little glitchy/ invisible)
Accessories
More Male Variants (Currently only 1 eye style and 5 hair styles. )

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 21, 2013, 10:03:33 am »

Wow, these look awesome.

I don't know why you would use a 128x128 sprites with 3x3 pixels and then resize that. They look more detailed than the background, but still a bit pixelated. Is this about fudging their lines a bit and merging them with surrounding colours? Why not just stick to 32x32 or 64x64 pixels and save up some VRAM?

I was wondering why some of the sprites are different shades of gray, but it looks like stonesense is combining that with the body part colour, so you get shaded ponies. Wow.

I was wondering what 3, 5, 7, 9, 23, 25, 27 and 29 are, but you first add an aye, then colour just the iris. Great.

Ah, castes have different combinations of eye and hair styles, that should make for some variety. There are 12 hair styles, but only 4 eye colours, while eyeindex assumes 7, but uses only the first 3. So I assume this isn't the final version. Anyway, with modulo increments on eye and mane styles, it is best if their numbers have no common divisors for maximum variety. So 3 or 4 and 12 don't work that well. They would with 11 or 13, though :)

I like it how adults have foal counterparts, down to eye and hair styles. Wait, looking at the spritesheet, I think eye 26 and 27 is missing.

Cutie Marks might be doable if they are caste-specific. They would have to be in-order inside the spritesheet, their index incremented for every caste and blitted before the wings (if any). This would be a lot of work, break whenever a new caste was added and might glitch with coat colours.

The xml weights 727 kB. So yeah, using a script to generate it was a good idea.

Children go before the adults of their caste, so the rules work correctly and eye and mane styles match. Good :)

For FoE, the castes were generated by a script and their IDs are already coded in a way that would be easy to discern with a regexp. For example EARTH_M1, EARTH_FMA and so on. Basically (EARTH|UNICORN)_(M|F).* It wouldn't be that hard to take RAW reading from my scripts, translate your caste generation to perl and have it execute without the need to have intermediate files with castes. Actually, looks like this would work for this mod too, but with a different regexp instead, a (E|U|P)_[^_]+_(F|M).* If you prefer shell scripts to perl, you can probably extract a list of [CASTE:whatever] with grep, then process that with another grep. Either way, I think regexps would work and be a more elegant and compact solution than what you have now.

The hooves look a little sloped. I think stonesense cuts the tips off.

> Accessories
You mean like those Dwarves in stonesense where you see their clothes? Even seeing just armours and weapons would be pretty awesome.

> More Male Variants (Currently only 1 eye style and 5 hair styles. )
Ah, so that's why handling eye and hair indexes looked weird in the code. Males and females use them differently.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Eltrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 21, 2013, 11:14:44 am »

The 128x128 thing was an accident, It was already partially done like that in the download, and I was just figuring it out as I went along. I will probably do a lower rez sheet in the future... right now the main reason I haven't fixed it is that the foals are using different sized pixels than the adults.

The seven eye types was done to increase variation as you mentioned. Just the eyes are chosen as 3 a, 2 b, 2c. I'm still going to add to it yet, so nothing is final.

Almond eyes didn't look right on foals, so they just use normal eyes until they grow up until I make something better. Hence no 26 or 27 at the moment.

Yeah, armour was what I was thinking... but I'm still figuring out how that would work.

Yeah, my script is really inefficient at the moment, but it works. I'll probably clean it up in the future.

I have no experience with perl, so...

In any case, this is more of a rough draft. It's good enough to show off and get some feed back, and better than what there was before, but there are still a lot of little things I'm unsatisfied with.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 21, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »

What you're doing is looking really good so far. Thank you for doing this, it'll be a must install once I get around to playing again. (Currently I'm playing other games, which is why I've not posted much lately.)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 21, 2013, 04:37:55 pm »

I asked on Polish pony forum for more sprites. Link. I don't think it will work, though, so assume you're on your own. Either way, I made this graphical explanation of how stonesense blits sprites:

> Yeah, armour was what I was thinking... but I'm still figuring out how that would work.
I know stonsesne can use castes, and professions as rules and display worn items. Hopefully this is done in a sane manner, without a combinatorial explosion of rules. Maybe it's best to ask in stonesense thread.

> Yeah, my script is really inefficient at the moment, but it works. I'll probably clean it up in the future.
Optimising programmer time works better for projects like this :)

> I have no experience with perl, so.
Same here with bash. In the end it's whatever language gets the job done and they both are suitable. It is just that I already have some easily modifiable functions to read parts of DF RAWs that I used for other things, so if I were to port your work to FoE, I'd use Perl.

> In any case, this is more of a rough draft. It's good enough to show off and get some feed back, and better than what there was before, but there are still a lot of little things I'm unsatisfied with.
Yeah, I know how that works, but these results are already impressive. Hopefully the feedback was good enough to keep you motivated. :)

Oh and seriously, your number of eye / mane variants (or any other variants you use in the future, like wings or body types) should have no common divisors. With 3 eyes and 12 haircuts, you only get 12 variants. Never mind, my bad.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:36:20 am by Maklak »
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 81