Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58079 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #345 on: January 25, 2013, 08:07:18 am »

That was apretty damn good book.

I just finished Poor Economics by Esther Duflo and an Indian guy whose name I can't remember. Abhijit something. Really great book about aid, because it's evidence-based: most of it come from randomized controlled trials she or other researcher did. Man, I love evidence.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:35 am »

The Good Firm was a truly excellent book that illustrated the past, the present and the possible future. The book is written from the firms perspective, as if the firm was alive. Between the lines it is a philosophical book on society. I recommend it to everybody and it should be available in English on the author's website.

Spoiler: 4/52 (click to show/hide)

Next stop, The Cossacks by Lev Tolstoi.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:27 am »

Started reading short horror stories by Lovecraft.
So far they're... well short. Just when the horror bit is supposed to start it ends. The only fun thing so far is a cat called Nigger-Man xD.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:55:31 am by Dutchling »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #348 on: January 25, 2013, 11:34:50 am »

Haven't had a huge amount of time to read, so I've only managed to finish 2 so far.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also finished:
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #349 on: January 26, 2013, 03:00:17 am »

Started reading short horror stories by Lovecraft.
So far they're... well short. Just when the horror bit is supposed to start it ends. The only fun thing so far is a cat called Nigger-Man xD.

Lovecraft is... Not so horrifying, and is fond of stinger scares and closures at the very end. Read him for his style, his literal depictions, not in search of scares or fears. He's definitely one of my favorite authors simply because of what he does with his words and how he flexes his vocabulary in a most pleasing manner.

Agreed. Also, his stories about dreams are far more impressive to me than any of his horror works. "The Quest of Iranon" made me cry the first time I read it, and "The Silver Key" fills me up with happy.

It is sometimes amusing to read through all this buildup and then get to the end and it's like "And then it turned out he was a FOREIGNER!!! OOOoooOOOooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOoooooo....."

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 26, 2013, 03:48:56 am »

Terry Pratchett is a friggin genius.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 26, 2013, 04:52:57 am »

Terry Pratchett is a friggin genius.

Also water is wet.

And fire tends to get a little warm.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2013, 01:34:16 pm »

Stahlkönigin and the preceding few short stories.
~76,500 words (plus whatever the shorts were)
27/1/13

Decided to take a break from paper for a few hours. Decent story, the author captured the characters fairly well. The writing was technically competent and moderately involving. Not terribly complex, but not bad either. B+

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2013, 02:58:18 pm »

I'm noticing an interesting pattern of taking 3-4 days to get through the first half of a book, then reading the entire second half in one day.

7 books so far:
Junky (William S. Burroughs) - 256 pages
Sourcery (Terry Pratchett) - 270 pages
The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm (Nancy Farmer) - 310 pages
American Gods - Author's Preferred Text (Neil Gaiman) - 650 pages
Hell - Robert Olen Butler - 232 pages
Seven Emus - Xavier Herbert - 175 pages
Jamestown - Matthew Sharpe - 327 pages

Jamestown was another re-read from years ago, found at a secondhand shop like so many of my books. It's very graphic (violently and sexually) and very interesting and occasionally funny. Not a bad read, all in all.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 28, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »

Book 6 finished. A rather interesting book that I haven't read for a while, Lear's Daughters, coming in at 739 pages.

Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 2732
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:38 am »

Just finished yet another book, Paulo Coelho 11 minutes.

Spoiler: 5/104 (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:23 am »

Just finished Call of Cthulhu. Compared to what I expected, it is abosolutely rubbish >.<

It's not bad, I'm just wondering where the awesome Lovecraftian stories are I was promised D:  , I guess this will be one of the books I will read solely because it is such a classic. I do agree with some earlier poster that his writing style is excellent, although I hope at least on of these short stories will actually continue after the main character discovers some hideous evil.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:28 am »

Just finished Call of Cthulhu. Compared to what I expected, it is abosolutely rubbish >.<

It's not bad, I'm just wondering where the awesome Lovecraftian stories are I was promised D:  , I guess this will be one of the books I will read solely because it is such a classic. I do agree with some earlier poster that his writing style is excellent, although I hope at least on of these short stories will actually continue after the main character discovers some hideous evil.

In my opinion Lovecraft's stories aren't all that interesting, it's more the universe itself I like. Similar to how I think Twilight is a pretty bad series but I still love the take on vampires as more than night creatures with human jewellery.

I wonder if there's a genre of books that are basically just world building for other media to use. The Cthulhu mythos would kinda fit there, I think.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:35 am »

Couple days late on this one, but shh, shh. Gonna read something short this week so I can catch up.

-- Week of Jan. 20th

Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake [9/10]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:41:17 am by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 29, 2013, 02:15:48 pm »

Lovecraft isn't the best.  It's his style that makes it good, a kind of clinical prose up until the Big Scary happens, where it becomes suddenly visceral which, for me at least, gives it this kind of dolly zoom effect that intensifies the moment.  But no, he's not the best and his imitators later on have been pretty lame, August Derleth in particular really diluted the horror with his elementals and war in heaven.

Almost finished with The House of Mirth.  Something's happened, I've finally regained what I thought was gone forever:  I read when I didn't have to, and had other things I could have done.  Because I wanted to.  This class reads some sad books, yo.  I'll be going to Half-Price Books soon and picking up a big pile of awful pulp novels from the 80s and 90s to inflate my book count, as well as my book shelf.

Finished with that.

Spoiler: 2/52 (click to show/hide)

Working on A Moveable Feast now, and starting on The Rise of David Levinsky soon. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:54:25 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50