Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40

Author Topic: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Game Over!  (Read 89390 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day Two (10/13) - An accident
« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2013, 05:20:49 pm »

More importantly, why are you worried about such a FOS?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2013, 05:37:30 pm »

It's not worry, it's called curiosity.

Person says psychology is in the matter > states two kinds of labor along with an FoS.

Me either wondering whether obvious allusion, or something else entirely. (Though, picking stonecrafter means that I already have a labor that I could earn my keep with, including still branching out from my current profession. Still, carving rock pots or doing marble statues isn't my kind of aesthetics. I'm mostly into graphite or digital art, when speaking about what stonecrafters are thought of doing.)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia and Masons and Hackers - Day Two (10/13) - Two replacements needed!
« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »

ZU
This is stupid, because since there are more town, everyone is more likely town. I don't see how the distribution of votes matter.
I think it's possible you missed the finer point of my argument. I was saying that Ford is almost certainly not a mason, and so this leaves him as either town or scum, town being the likely option. I won't speculate openly about it, but from the voting patterns I'm pretty sure I've identified at least one mason. I'm positive distribution of votes matter, and from them it's pretty obvious Ford is town. If/when he gets lynched then I'll be proved right or wrong on the matter- I know I could well lynch him with a vote now but I won't because I'm certain you're all about to lynch an innocent man.

How "much" more scummy do you need to be to be worth lynching? Also, please provide a non-statistical reason why Ford is not scummy. Also, please stop using numbers in mafia. It doesn't work well.
I'm positive vote numbers are the way forward, not the stuff people make up in the thread. You can lie more easily in words than in lynch votes. I've yet to hear you give a compelling counterargument to why we should be looking at other things, or for that matter, what is supposedly so scummy about Ford. But you want a non-vote related reason? Well, he was vociferous in calling out Deathsword on his shenanigans in the early game. Letting misunderstanding flourish among town is presumably a scum-trait, and he did the exact opposite, seeking to bring clarity to the debate.

Hapah, glad to have you as a replacement. Ignore my vote against your predecessor Phantom, it no longer applies now the position is held by an active player. Do you think Phantom's vote against Edosurist was well placed?

TheZoomZoll, welcome to the game! Do you think Edosurist's previous votes were all well-placed? i.e. do you find Phantom (now Hapah) and myself to be more suspicious than average?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2013, 06:05:21 pm »

PFP

NQT: I'll have to see. I haven't been following this game very closely, which means I've got a lot of reading and note-taking to do!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2013, 06:09:49 pm »

Ok so I misunderstood the previous post.

However, I find it interesting that you say "vote numbers are the way forward", but your reasons for voting DS are totally non-vote-related.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 06, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »

ZU, I'm voting DS for bandwagonning twice, how much more vote related could you get? (I can understand how it might have been unclear, so you can treat that as rhetorical question if you like.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2013, 06:56:35 pm »

NQT:
ZU, I'm voting DS for bandwagonning twice, how much more vote related could you get? (I can understand how it might have been unclear, so you can treat that as rhetorical question if you like.)

Tell me, how is placing the first vote on a person (ford in this case) bandwaggoning?

ZU
This is stupid, because since there are more town, everyone is more likely town. I don't see how the distribution of votes matter.
I think it's possible you missed the finer point of my argument. I was saying that Ford is almost certainly not a mason, and so this leaves him as either town or scum, town being the likely option. I won't speculate openly about it, but from the voting patterns I'm pretty sure I've identified at least one mason. I'm positive distribution of votes matter, and from them it's pretty obvious Ford is town. If/when he gets lynched then I'll be proved right or wrong on the matter- I know I could well lynch him with a vote now but I won't because I'm certain you're all about to lynch an innocent man.
For the entirety of this game you keep insisting Ford is town. How can you know? And don't bring "oh it's because I played with him before and meta" because that can be faked.

And my vote on you back in the start was because you were buddying up to me. Not with that sarcastic quip you made to Tiruin (and that everyone thinks I was talking about), but the softball question you threw at me, the same question that cause Tiruin to call you on buddying and you to answer with sarcasm. I accused you of buddying, to which you flipped out. I found that to be scummy, so I kept my vote on you and kept pressing. I actually scumhunted on you. Is that bandwaggoning? No, it's not. I was driving a lynch on you because I thought, and now I think again, that you are scum.

Not only that but you and Ford keep defending each other. That is how he caught my attention in the first place.

Ford:
Toaster:
Concerning metagaming:  I'm not afraid to look for a way to break the game (See: Politibastard) but the chance to look at the game this way hasn't ever come up before.  I'm not going to pass up this opportunity when it comes up, but I'm also not going to advocate any form of chain lynching over it.  That said, the congruence of the Captain Ford factors is not something I can overlook.
That's retarded. Either it's valid or it's not. Using it against me only is complete bullshit. If it's valid against me, then it's valid against everyone, especially after I flip town and the statements I made about it are proven reliable.
The part I highlighted is a scummy move. Repeatedly claiming you are going to flip town and passively-agressively saying that people will regret lynching you is done only by scum and newbies, and I don't consider you to be a newbie.

This is off-topic, but try to avoid calling people retards. Especially more than once and in multiple posts. Let's keep this mostly friendly, or at least keep insults to a minimum when not raging.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2013, 08:02:38 pm »

*rereads thread posts*

Okay, you're right DS. You weren't bandwaggoning in the Ford case. My suspicion bar for you just dropped five points. At the start I was pretty sure he wasn't scum because the reasons people had called him didn't hold up. Now I think he's most likely town because so many more people have voted for him (ruling him out as a likely mason) and as (in my eyes) he's either scum or town and he isn't coming across as particularly scummy, I think he's most likely town. But we will soon see.

My face when I'm wrong:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2013, 08:58:29 pm »

I'm in the middle of my read (P15 whoo).

NQT: In post 220 you asked PotL's replacement (me) to answer a question on P13. Can you post the question, or even just the post #, if it's still relevant? I've got enough reading to do as-is, lol.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:41 pm »

The question was:
Phantom
We haven't heard from you since Norris' death. What are you thinking? I know the game can be pretty fast paced at times but lurking or appearing to lurk doesn't do you any favours.
Given that you're reading the thread I think we can all expect some general thoughts from you when you're done.  :D

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:04 pm »

True enough!

And if one of you guys could be kind enough to remove your Ford vote until I've had a chance to post, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to weigh in on the subject and L-1 makes me nervous as shit.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 06, 2013, 10:36:12 pm »

Read complete! I'll see if I can type up a coherent post now. Apologies in advance if it turns out a bit long, but I've got a lot of ground to cover, don't I?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2013, 11:29:16 pm »

Ford:
Toaster:
Concerning metagaming:  I'm not afraid to look for a way to break the game (See: Politibastard) but the chance to look at the game this way hasn't ever come up before.  I'm not going to pass up this opportunity when it comes up, but I'm also not going to advocate any form of chain lynching over it.  That said, the congruence of the Captain Ford factors is not something I can overlook.
That's retarded. Either it's valid or it's not. Using it against me only is complete bullshit. If it's valid against me, then it's valid against everyone, especially after I flip town and the statements I made about it are proven reliable.
The part I highlighted is a scummy move. Repeatedly claiming you are going to flip town and passively-agressively saying that people will regret lynching you is done only by scum and newbies, and I don't consider you to be a newbie.
Ha ha ha! That's funny because I never said that. In fact, I was arguing the opposite, that lynching me would have positive side-effects that Toaster was simply going to ignore.

At this point, I don't really think that anything is going to stop me from being lynched. I just want to make sure that my lynch is as productive as possible.

Quote from: Deathsword
This is off-topic, but try to avoid calling people retards. Especially more than once and in multiple posts. Let's keep this mostly friendly, or at least keep insults to a minimum when not raging.
Point taken. I will try to tone it down.

For the record though, I never called Toaster retarted, only his argument. I also said, "you're retarted, if", which was meant to imply that the condition was false, because he's not retarted.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2013, 11:56:02 pm »

Leafsnail: There's a question for you right under the first quote.

So much to cover...guess we'll start with the big ones!

Spoiler: About Captain Ford (click to show/hide)

Toaster
Concerning metagaming:  I'm not afraid to look for a way to break the game (See: Politibastard) but the chance to look at the game this way hasn't ever come up before.  I'm not going to pass up this opportunity when it comes up, but I'm also not going to advocate any form of chain lynching over it. -snip-
It doesn't look like you're looking too hard, from where I'm standing.

Leafsnail: Would you accept a tiebreaker vote from a different forum account, provided they could prove that they were on the scum team?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Leaf suggested this course of action to the scum (assuming he allows it, that is). He's no slouch.

Not only did Ford make the tie, but he did it 30 minutes prior to the deadline.  If that's not a scum move, I don't know what is.  Minor FoS goes out to Zombie Urist for not breaking it.
Even if he did tie up the vote on purpose (which is open to debate, considering the slack deadline with resulting rewind), what's wrong with that? If it had been someone else tying the vote I could see where you are coming from, but someone casting a vote so that they maybe don't die doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Also, any reason you didn't pull your vote?

NQT: I noted this on my readthrough. Lurkers prevent hammers, but they don't prevent lynches. There's a very large difference between the two. Long days have their pros and cons, though, I'll give you that much.

DS: Do you still hold that Ford must be scum? I for one think that he's one of the flavors of town, and that lynching Tolyk over Ford was a great move: look at how much attention he got at the start of D2. The resulting shitstorm seems to have taken up most of the day.

Zoom: Welcome! Mind explaining what you hope to gain from those questions? Also, have you played a game of forum Mafia before?

Dar:
But as long as the metainfo is in play, zombie urist was the closest to the lynch, and he's the only one who wasn't posting anywhere else.
The closest to the lynch how? By having zero votes, which is certainly more than your three, Ford?
He meant closest post, I believe. Why didn't you see that?

The main reasons for this vote is that if Ford wasn't scum, scum would have basically zero reason to lynch Tolyk, since he could easily be lynched at any point due to his lurkatron. And that's in addition to all the other scummy shit he pulled off earlier.
Do you stand by this?

I have to step away for a minute, so I guess I'll just go ahead and post this.

Everybody Else: Weigh in. What's on your mind?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2013, 01:00:28 am »

ehh. I don't think Ford is scum. Though I think LS allowing a different account submission is kindof wonky, though not impossible.

PS: All the cool mafia players use the 50 post/page setting.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 40