Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1698185 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: The Edition Edition
« Reply #18090 on: June 27, 2015, 05:52:09 pm »

Something tells me that Greece will magically cave in to the EU demands on the 28th or 29th June.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18091 on: June 27, 2015, 06:32:30 pm »

Sell Greece to Turkey. That's a few really big problems solved in exchange for a fuck-ton more, but at least it would be funny.
Erdogan doesn't need help rebuilding the Ottoman Empire. He has already assembled his elite retinue for glorious combat. Their gorillion folded damascan steel is invulnerable.

Is it me or are some of those actually Persian, not Turkic? Then again, that helmet style has been around for a very long time.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18092 on: June 28, 2015, 12:37:10 am »

What all this (Greece bailout failure) tells me is that any dream of a politically unified EU is nothing but a dream.

The vision does not show anywhere on the minds of stake holders here, and after that debacle, it seems that shunning closer integration is a good thing, especially for weaker economies.

It was a good idea at some point, but it has been brought down.

edit: remove sarcasm

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18093 on: June 28, 2015, 12:43:59 am »

Well, the Euro might have been an halfassed job, but I still want my United States of Europe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18094 on: June 28, 2015, 12:45:40 am »

Well, the Euro might have been an halfassed job, but I still want my United States of Europe.
>tfw you will never establish a more perfect union, by and for the people
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18095 on: June 28, 2015, 12:50:02 am »

Silly Greece, if they never joined the Euro they could have avoided the whole debt thing and just had hyperinflation instead.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18096 on: June 28, 2015, 01:03:06 am »

Yeah, pretty much. Historically, I can think of a single case of a country amassing that level of debt and actually paying it back: the UK after defeating Napoleon. They had debt of around 200% of GDP and was brought to 30% of GDP over a century. Of course, the massive increase in GDP due to the industrial revolution helped too.

In all other case, there was either a default, a devaluation, or just a period of high inflation.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18097 on: June 28, 2015, 03:28:23 am »

Wait, Germany did too! Fuck what Piketty said, we (quite recently) paid the last portion of our WWI reparations. Of course there had been a significant amount of time where we didn't /repair/ at all, and IIRC there were no payments during the German/German split as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18099 on: June 28, 2015, 03:35:06 am »

So what? There's been a haircut for Greece as well. It's convenient to just sweep that under the rug, I know...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18100 on: June 28, 2015, 03:44:18 am »

I don't get you. My point is that Greece's current debts are way too high. I pointed out that there is only one single example of a country paying such a high amount of debt. You said Germany was a second exemple. I pointed out that it did not since it got a large haircut, plus amazing conditions on repayment.

The fact that Greece got a (much smaller, without repayment conditions as good and with the need to implement policies that crushed its economy) haircut before isn't really relevant. I didn't say anything about how Greece got there, just that it couldn't go forward. 

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18101 on: June 28, 2015, 03:47:06 am »

Yeah, this whole debacle haven't at all demonstrated that there's absolutely no loyalty or siblinghood between EU states, whether governments or people.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18102 on: June 28, 2015, 04:00:49 am »

Wait, Germany did too! Fuck what Piketty said, we (quite recently) paid the last portion of our WWI reparations. Of course there had been a significant amount of time where we didn't /repair/ at all, and IIRC there were no payments during the German/German split as well.

According to Tooze's Wages of Destruction, not only were there no payments during the German/German split, there were barely any payments before that.  Germany paid for the reparations by racking up national debt.  And then when the national debt got large, Hitler came to power and renounced the debt.  The one who paid the most reparations was the US!

And Greece would be delighted if you guys would give them 80 years to grow their economy before they pay off their reparations.

So what? There's been a haircut for Greece as well. It's convenient to just sweep that under the rug, I know...

There has been a haircut for Greece that has been coupled with making it fucking impossible for Greece to do anything.  It's like you break both of someone's legs and then say "Well the lazy fuck just got those awesome disability payments so they should have no difficulty."

Silly Greece, if they never joined the Euro they could have avoided the whole debt thing and just had hyperinflation instead.

Greece is currently experiencing deflation.  Were it not for the deflation there would be no problem left at this point.  None, zero, zilch.  The size of the Greek wage adjustment means that their employment and debt problems would have been sorted about six months ago.  If Greece was no in the Euro and had received the emergency lending programs that countries usually receive after a default their economy would be healed right now.  And it wouldn't be happening through "hyper" inflation.  It would be happening through slightly elevated inflation.  That would be much, much, much better for Greece.  That would be much much worse for German banks.  The 2010 crisis was caused by the fraud of the Greek ruling coalition at the time.  The persistence of the crisis is not a problem caused by Greece, it is a problem caused by the cowardice of the German people and politicians who didn't want to stand up to their bankers.

It's ironic that the US is seen as the home of neoliberalism/crony capitalism/bailouts for bankers etc but compared to the Uncle Toms in Germany the US response was class warfare out of the pages of Capital (Picketty or Marx, take your pick).

I pointed out that it did not since it got a large haircut

More then one actually.  The Dawes Plan, the Young Plan, the Marshal Plan are just three of the larger ones.  On top of that there are several extensions through bank of international settlements adjustments that I can't even pretend to understand because you'd need to be versed in extreme minutiae of both banking and finance.

The treatment of Greece is in no way standard or normal in recent experience.  It is a throwback to the goddamn 19th century where you put the creditors first and use blackmail to force payment.  More typical of recent experience would be Mexico in the 90s.  Mexico was in a very bad debt position and that was costing US banks.  So the US responded by agreeing that Mexico should force haircuts on US banks.  Then the US government gave Mexico new money so Mexico could stabilize the position.  Then the US government promised that if Mexico made reforms they would get more money and get a free trade deal as a reward.  Mexico made it's reforms and the US passed NAFTA as promised.  And Mexico was a much more corrupt and backwards country then Greece.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:05:12 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18103 on: June 28, 2015, 04:52:44 am »

And Greece would be delighted if you guys would give them 80 years to grow their economy before they pay off their reparations.
Please, you've had 2000 years to recover from the inflation caused by the wars with rome, if anything you should be giving the rest of Europe a bailout!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18104 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:56 am »

...I don't think the US was involved with the Roman Empire. But to be fair, I might be misremembering my history here.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 1393