Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38

Author Topic: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Vengeance (SCUM VICTORY)  (Read 85009 times)

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 1: Murder
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2013, 01:54:22 am »

Don't BS me.

I'm not being evasive, I thought your other question was just another way of saying be more serious.

As I understand it he asked "When are you going to start hunting?" to which you STILL have not provided an answer
He never asked me that.

And then, you still refuse to answer, citing your softball question to Spaghetti7 that didn't even come with a vote as "hunting." My vote is staying.

Spaghetti7: If you were scum, when would you fakeclaim and why?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 02:23:18 am »

Just a post to say I have very little time right now, but I'll answer all of the questions posed against me after school.
I've got just enough time for a quick question:
Nerjin: How can you possibly hope to scum hunt by asking everyone a question?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:15 am »

Nerjin:
@borno: I have not seen you in a game before that I recall. Sorry, help me fill in the blanks please. What is your general route to hunting scum.
I played a while ago, but dropped out because of my lack of free time. Now that I have more free time, I can play more. Anyway, as to your question, I'd probably say being aggressive is best.
But as to my question Nerjin, why do you feel the need to teach people how this game works almost excessively, even borrowing an IC voice? You could speak normally you know. Are you doing it to help the newer players in this game? Or maybe you do it because you're scum and trying to lull everyone into trusting you.
The Soldier:
borno: Would you rather be a Godfather or a Roleblocker as scum? Why?
I'd rather be a godfather, since, as you said, you have to be lucky to be successful as roleblocker, whereas the godfather's advantage will work all the time.
Remuthra: What question is so wrong that you chose to ignore it outright?
Spaghetti7: Doctor or Cop? Also, asking questions is scum hunting. More chances to find a slip-up.
superBlast: You seem a bit nervous. In mafia, acting nervous or unconfident is never a good idea, even if you're scum. Even if you feel a bit of doubt with a post, post it anyways, because faltering is a good scumtell.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 05:52:34 am »

Hoo boy, a very active kickstart even before any IC could post. XD

While I'm not an IC, let me just drop this spiel here for you all to read because...I just feel this would help.

Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

Additionally, before anybody else does anything, I will stress the importance of activity. You should be as active as possible. A good guideline is to get one good post in a day, but if you can post productively more often than that it's generally a good idea to do so. As a player, town or scum, being active and visible is very much an asset, as you're out there making yourself readable, and this is considered a town quality. While there are very good personal benefits to being active, the reverse is detrimental to the whole game. Low activity makes games hard to play or outright kills them. This is fun for absolutely no one, so make a good effort and be active.

If you played a Beginner's Game before you probably recognize this spiel, but it's good all the same.

Have fun you all.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:47 am »

superBlast: You seem a bit nervous. In mafia, acting nervous or unconfident is never a good idea, even if you're scum. Even if you feel a bit of doubt with a post, post it anyways, because faltering is a good scumtell.
Well this might haunt me for a long time in mafia, since I'm never confident about anything I'm not 100% sure I'm right about it.

Now there's more people to ask, Borno, you're my next random voting target!

And for once I actually have a question in my head before writing this! I'm assuming your vote for Nerjin isn't random, and the blue on my and Remu's names means your suspicious of us. So why'd you vote Nerjin over me or Remu?
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:08 am »

Nerjin: How can you possibly hope to scum hunt by asking everyone a question?

The simple fact of the matter is that I always ask everyone a question. Based on their answer I hone in on them to see if there's more to them or not. It's a much better approach than picking a single person at random and then just pursuing them the entire time. This way I have some sort of read on everyone. Plus it helps get people started into the game. From what I've seen some people don't start playing seriously until they've been asked a question.

Nerjin:
@borno: I have not seen you in a game before that I recall. Sorry, help me fill in the blanks please. What is your general route to hunting scum.
I played a while ago, but dropped out because of my lack of free time. Now that I have more free time, I can play more. Anyway, as to your question, I'd probably say being aggressive is best.
But as to my question Nerjin, why do you feel the need to teach people how this game works almost excessively, even borrowing an IC voice? You could speak normally you know. Are you doing it to help the newer players in this game? Or maybe you do it because you're scum and trying to lull everyone into trusting you.

Because as of yet the IC's haven't popped in. I have more experience in BM's than some of the other players and I want them to be eased into the mafia experience so that they will continue to play for a long time. You are right that I could speak normally however the IC voice is used to indicate that what you're saying is simply game advice. Make of that what you will. Once the IC's themselves pop on and start handing out advice I plan on dropping the "Sort-of less Inexperience challenged but still new to the game" thing.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2013, 11:43:15 am »

[Hoo boy, I see my work cut out for me already.]

[Hello everyone, and welcome to Beginner's Mafia.  This is where we're all here to learn how to play and eventually be welcomed into the "main" games without Dariush having an aneurysm.  When I speak to you all as an IC, I will be doing so in square brackets.  My "IC voice" is for giving impartial advice, so you can trust that what I say while using it is not influenced by my role in the game, nor will it be used to further my win condition.  As this is a learning game, now is the time to be bold and try to play as best as you can.  Don't focus on winning so much as *learning*.  When (not if) you all make mistakes, the ICs are here to (usually) gently correct you.  I will beat you over the head with a clue-by-four if needed, however.  Always feel free to ask questions to the ICs if there is something you don't understand - that's what we're here for.]

[Because it's going to be a bitch to quote everyone, I'll often just use a "name @ ###" format, referring to a specific post number.  Everyone, please make sure you either quote with the author's name, or have some definitive way for others reading your post to know exactly what source you're addressing in your post.  Or I will hurt you.]

[So, in chronological order...]

Remuthra @ 36:  [It's good to answer questions, but try to ask at least one of your own when posting.  This keeps discussion flowing and prevents the game activity from dying out.]

[This is as good a time as any to remind you all to read all of the rules, guides, etc. noted in the first post of the thread.  If you haven't done so already, save us all some headaches and do it now.]

superBlast @ 39: [Usually, when you randomly vote someone in the random vote stage (RVS), you ask them a question as well.  Your questions are ... lacking.  If you really need help coming up with something relevant to ask in the RVS, take a gander at a previous beginner's game or two and see what kinds of questions were asked then.]

superBlast/Remuthra: [While a little humor is generally acceptable in games because we're not all super serious all the time, do try to limit it to keep your signal to noise ratio from dropping too much.]

Remuthra @ 46:  [The standard response to "are you scum?" is "no".  No one gets lynched for that.  You can add on "are you?" if you're feeling particularly snarky.  Avoiding answering questions, yes even the stupid ones, is a bad idea.]

@Shakerag: As a pillar of the mafia community you've seen a lot of 'battles'. If it came down to it who would you want to be in a lylo situation with you if you were scum excluding Irony Owl?
Hah.  It's hard to pick names, but I'd say that as scum in lylo, I'd want anyone who indicated that they got a town read on me during the game. 

Remuthra @ 60:  If everyone just sat back until they saw something suspicious, do you think anything productive would happen? 
@62 : Badly formed accusations at least get something done.  Unlike sitting back and observing.  Hell, I like to throw around bad accusations at people.  Seeing how they react to them can help to identify scumtells. 

Shakerag: In your opinion, what is the most damning scumtell?
Mmmmhh.  I'd have to say being caught in a lie tends to be the most damning.  Dodging questions is right up there too. 

Remuthra @ 69:  [What part of "no edits" was unclear in the rules?]

Okay, now on to some questions.

Nerjin:  What's your favorite role in Mafia?

The Soldier:  How would you pick a target as a mafia roleblocker?

superBlast:  How would you pick a target as a town cop?

borno:  Do you put value in analyzing voting patterns?  Yes or no, why?

Lord Allagon:  If someone claimed doctor, how would you decide whether to trust they're telling the truth?

Spaghetti7:  If you had a one-shot day inspect, when would you use it?

Remuthra:  If you were scum, would you rather want to know who the doctor is, or who the cop is?

IronyOwl:  How do you plan on terrorizing this batch of newbies? 

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:40 am »

... Didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Doesn't he get mod-killed for this?

Quote from: Still Shakerag's post
Nerjin:  What's your favorite role in Mafia?
I like God-father and Cop... Though I'd have to say I like God-father just a bit more because being scum is fun.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2013, 12:02:52 pm »

superBlast:  How would you pick a target as a town cop?

First off I'd pick someone who I haven't investigated yet, then look at who took part in the last lynch if lynch turned up town (since there is a good chance scum would be among them), and from there investigate the one that was most suspicious to me.

Here's a question back, your scum that everyone generally believes is town and your partner currently the town's center of attention and about to be lynched. Let's make it Day 1 as well. What would you do it that situation?
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:33 pm »

... Didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Doesn't he get mod-killed for this?
[Is beginner's game.  Is bound to happen at least once.  If it keeps happening though ...]

Here's a question back, your scum that everyone generally believes is town and your partner currently the town's center of attention and about to be lynched. Let's make it Day 1 as well. What would you do it that situation?
Wave goodbye to my partner in scumchat and bus them without remorse.  Looking for advice about what to do with your scumbuddy Remuthra, superBlast?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:07 pm »

[Is beginner's game.  Is bound to happen at least once.  If it keeps happening though ...]

If it happens again, there will be a modkill. DO NOT EDIT. EVER.

Votecount soon.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 12:26:17 pm »

Right, now I have time to tackle this.

@Spaghetti7: When would be the best time for a doctor/cop role claim in your opinion and why?
I would claim doctor/cop when the votes are beginning to go on a bandwagon on someone I didn't believe should be lynched. I would use it to claim another target of my choosing scum, and to hopefully save the town from going under.

Spaghetti7: How would you decide who to protect if you were a doctor?
I would withhold using my actions until I had some idea of the people around me. I wouldn't want to use such a useful action on a scum, so I'd save it until I had established power and alignment of the other players, then I would use it to protect townies and (hopefully) those others with roles.

But since you insist, hey Spaghetti. How would you best keep the scum from targetting you?
I would deflect it to other people. Build up a good case against someone else, and push it hard if votes started falling on my head. If that failed, then I would push against those leading the bandwagon against me and try to expose them while they're weak on the offence. Try to reveal them to the people following for the wagon.

Spaghetti7: If you were scum, when would you fakeclaim and why?
If I were scum, I would use it in the later game as soon as suspicion started to arise. If you use it when you are about to be lynched it just looks desperate, but if it's used when someone starts to put the pieces together it could cloud others' vision with that and turn their attention elsewhere.

Spaghetti7: Doctor or Cop? Also, asking questions is scum hunting. More chances to find a slip-up.
Cop. As I answered one of the questions above about how I wouldn't use the Doctor's ability for a while, I would be able to use the Cop from the start. It would also help me to judge how I knew someone was scum, and it could help against people I hadn't considered yet.

Spaghetti7:  If you had a one-shot day inspect, when would you use it?
I would wait for a bandwagon to begin, and use it on the leader of the attack. This would help me know whether scum were going for offense or defense.

Alright, Unvote Nerjin.
borno, do you find it more scummy if someone is very active or not so? Why?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2013, 12:36:07 pm »

Wave goodbye to my partner in scumchat and bus them without remorse.  Looking for advice about what to do with your scumbuddy Remuthra, superBlast?
Damn why does it seems like all my questions make people suspicious of me >.>

And to answer you, no I'm not but if you turn out scum then bussing is viable an option for you. I'll keep that in mind when we catch one of the scum.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »

“We should just kill them all and be done with it.”

“Calm down, Magus Imiknorris. The traitors will be found.”

“What if they are not? What if they kill everyone in there and forge markings on the corpses of loyalists?”

“Would you rather have me kill many of our best and most loyal magisters so that we can find the few traitors in that room?”

“Yes, Archmage, that is exactly what I suggest. “

“And by doing so, we’d weaken ourselves and play right into the Cabal’s hands. No, Urist, they shall not be harmed, not before dusk.”

Votecount:

Nerjin(1): borno
The Soldier(0):
superBlast(0):
borno(1):superBlast
Lord Allagon(0):
Sphagetti7(0):
Remuthra(3):The Soldier, Nerjin, Shakerag
Shakerag(0):
IronyOwl(0):

Not Voting: Lord Allagon, Sphagetti7. Remuthra, IronyOwl
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:53 pm »

Sorry about a double post but I forgot that spaghetti even posted when i made my last post.

I would withhold using my actions until I had some idea of the people around me. I wouldn't want to use such a useful action on a scum, so I'd save it until I had established power and alignment of the other players, then I would use it to protect townies and (hopefully) those others with roles.
This doesn't make much sense to me. If you used up your action on scum then it's the exact same as not even using it. While protecting some random person gives you a chance to save them and if there is no night kill then you have yourself a confirmed townie (unless the scum decided not to NK and that's rare apparently). It's not like you can only use it one time only, then that would make more sense.

Not using it is just wasting your ability.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38