Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Vengeance (SCUM VICTORY)  (Read 85015 times)

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIV: Arcane Mafia - Day 1: Murder
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2013, 09:06:15 am »

Remu, after saying you blindly trusted him to be town earlier in the game, what is your read on superBlast?
That was a really poor choice of words back there, I was trying to say I was leaning town. Now I'd say a slight lean towards scum.
Do you have reasons for this?
@Spaghetti, what is more important, cop or doctor?
Both are obviously very important, but I would say in this particular game Cop is. Doctor can protect other important roles or just general townies, but I believe in a beginners match it is crucial and extremely useful to be able to know for sure if someone is scum. It helps you with what to look for in other people to know they are scummy.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2013, 01:06:52 pm »

For one, he hasn't formed any suspicion profiles for anyone except me, and doesn't state anything there. He's not lurking, nor is he doing much to find scum.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2013, 04:18:57 pm »

For one, he hasn't formed any suspicion profiles for anyone except me, and doesn't state anything there. He's not lurking, nor is he doing much to find scum.
Fair enough. Unvote Remuthra.

superBlast, how important do you believe the Godfather is to the scum team, and how should he play?

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2013, 06:10:53 pm »

PFP, no sleep in over 24 hours. Just posting to say im still here and that im starting another reread of the thread. If my reads cha.ge i'll repost them.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2013, 07:13:16 pm »

I'm sorry to do this but I'm gonna quit. I had all day today and a lot yesterday to do what I said and re-read the thread but I haven't really been in a "want to play mafia mood" right now. I might be later on but doing nothing is just wasting everyone's time. It's a bad time to leave with the Day almost at the end but... yeah sorry. Maybe the next BM I'll have a better mood for mafia lol.

Replace request... or however I'm supposed to do it.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2013, 01:27:11 am »

Back everyone.
Spaghetti7:
Both are obviously very important, but I would say in this particular game Cop is. Doctor can protect other important roles or just general townies, but I believe in a beginners match it is crucial and extremely useful to be able to know for sure if someone is scum. It helps you with what to look for in other people to know they are scummy.
Know for sure? What about the godfather?
Remuthra:
@borno It's a good question, as you yourself admitted. And it's only a role fish if you are dumb enough to give away anything.
And where are we. A BM. People aren't necessarily dumb, but they are definitely new and a bit confused as to what to do. But I'm going to Unvote you for now though, since it's not really fair to vote you for a question that I myself admitted was good. Anyway, two people you think are townies are fighting each other. Do you leave it to them to resolve it, or do you step in? If it's the latter, what do you do?
I'm sorry to do this but I'm gonna quit. I had all day today and a lot yesterday to do what I said and re-read the thread but I haven't really been in a "want to play mafia mood" right now. I might be later on but doing nothing is just wasting everyone's time. It's a bad time to leave with the Day almost at the end but... yeah sorry. Maybe the next BM I'll have a better mood for mafia lol.

Are you sure about this? It's almost day end; I'd wait until D2 and see how you're feeling then. If not, goodbye.

Also, vote extension.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2013, 10:13:29 am »

Lord Magister Allagon, having telepathically struck a deal with the Archmage, slowly slinks out of existence, cryptoporting through one of the more disreputable dimensions. As magic is an exact science, he is replaced with a wizard of the same stature and academic credentials: Magister NQT, Lecturer in Indefinite Departures.

"Ah, sorry for my late arrival: hopefully my specialities in Metamagical Analysis and Runic Potentialities will quickly sort out the Warlocks from the Warnots. Now what did I miss?"

The Post With All The Answers
(I haven't bothered answering 'why are you lurking' type questions as they aren't really addressed to me. Everything else though.)

Nerjin
@Lord Allagon: Do you take a lynch-all-lurkers strategy? Why or Why not?
Not in this game mode. In BM, scum still have the advantage and so policy-voting is generally a bad idea. It is a bad idea because it's very easy to lynch inactive town-players. This is especially so when serial-lurkers can be replaced by active players (as in the case of my predecessor).

Superblast
@Everyone, Anybody got any good ways to come up with question? I'm having a hard time with that... and the first one to pop in my head turned out to be pretty bad WIFOM.
I think the accepted wisdom is that questions should be formed to create a cage to trap scum in. You ask players what they would do in situations that are likely to arise in game, and when they act contrary to their earlier statements you have the means to trap them in a prison of their own words.

@NQT: What would you do if you're scum that just been confirmed scum by the cop?
It depends whether the cop had claimed at this stage. If so, I would pour doubt on the authenticity of the cop's claim, perhaps by twisting earlier statements by the cop to arouse the suspicions of others. If unclaimed, I would act like both town and scum should when accused: calmly answer any questions with reasonable responses and try to avoid making statements that will later come back and haunt you.

Shakerag
Lord Allagon:  If someone claimed doctor, how would you decide whether to trust they're telling the truth?
It depends on what stage in the game it was. First of all, was there any evidence at that point that there was even a doctor in the game? How trustworthy had this person been in their earlier dealings? Either way, I'd want them to explain who they had protected and why. If they weren't killed in a night-kill after claiming, I'd want them to give a good reason why that might be. This would be complicated if there was a cop claim as well, as I could ask whether the purported cop had investigated their role or not. I'd also wonder why they were claiming doctor. The usual reason would be because they're up for a lynch.

Ultimately, like most things in this game, the claim would go out into the swamp of epistemological uncertainty, to be weighed up only in context of the trustworthiness of every single other claim.

Soldier
Lord Allagon: Say it's LYLO, and someone just claimed doctor. Do you trust/believe them? What if they claimed cop instead?
If they claimed doctor, I'd want to know everyone that they protected each night and why. If they gave a compelling answer, and I really pushed them on the details, then it might sway me to believing them but only in relation to the trustworthiness of the other person. If they were a cop, I'd want a similar record of who they investigated and what they did with this information. I'd want posts showing where they tried to sway town opinion away from innocents they'd investigated and posts showing where they'd led lynches on scum identified.

NQT: Welcome to the game. If you could choose any non-IC player here to be your scumpartner, who would you choose? Also, once you finish your read of the thread, I'd be interested in seeing your reads on the players.
I would chose Nerjin as I've played with him in other games here and have a better idea of his normal posting-style than other players. I would genuinely like to give you my reads but as I haven't formed them strongly yet, I think I'll have to re-read the thread and post that a little later, along with my questions to others.

Remuthra
Lord Al, when should you remove your vote, and when should you press?
You should remove your vote when you earnestly believe that you may be leading to the lynch of an innocent person. You should press when you're not convinced by the answers you've been given by your lynch-target and you have a reasonable suspicion that they may be scum and that in pursuing them you aren't letting more likely targets escape scrutiny.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2013, 10:49:44 am »

[I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm never here on weekends.  Oh well.  Now you know.]

Extend.  Replacements and all.

Catching up now for a wall of text post. 

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2013, 11:44:13 am »

Extend. Managed to fall asleep during my reread, need more time.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2013, 11:51:50 am »

Extend. Managed to fall asleep during my reread, need more time.
Don't kill yourself via lack of sleep D:

That's bad, lacking sleep there...Just ask for an extension and sleep next time (Though your perseverance is admired :D)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:47 pm »

Remuthra:  [If you don't start quoting/referencing properly, I will introduce the side of your head to the business end of a shovel.]

So you have no reasons of your own? Your just following Irony?
I'm voting because he hasn't posted much, and he seems the best person to pressure.
And he seems to be the best person to pressure ... why?  PROTIP:  Stating "because he hasn't posted much" is not the correct answer to this question.

Shakerag:
Now that Irony Owl has, could you state all of your suspicions?
[grammar nazi]Yes, I could state my suspicions.  Do you want me to do so?[/grammar nazi]
Going off the top of my head here:
•Nerjin - Neutral.  Has experience, so I'm not expecting too many newtells or easy slips.  Will need to squeeze later.
•The Soldier - Neutral.  Done his homework, but reading and playing are different beasts.  Mostly watching for now.
•superBlast - Leaning scummy.  Dropping newtells like a sack with a hole in it. 
•borno - Neutral.  If memory serves, has a bit of a track record for getting mislynched.  Might need to watch a bit closely to differentiate between scummy and "suboptimal play".
•notquitethere - Neutral.  Johnny5 needs more input. 
•Spaghetti7 - Neutral.  I'm thinking I remember getting a newbtown vibe from him. 
•Remuthra - Leaning scummy.  Maybe a bit more so than superBlast.  Also dropping newtells like they're hot.
•IronyOwl - Neutral.  Lurking like it's a youtube fad, but that's pretty standard for him.  Will likely need to TUNNEL TUNNEL CHUNNEL TUNNEL later to get a good read. 

So if one person says 7 words about someone else it warrants a vote now? Tell me the reasons in your own words
See above, and answer my question.
[Urge to beat with shovel rising.]

[sarcasm]You caught me oh mighty catcher![/sarcasm]

No. If you're expecting me to be active at all times you are mistaken. A break WAS taken. I won't deny that at all. I freely admit it. But that's all it was, a break. Also, don't appreciate the toilet thing there. Just throwing that out there as personal taste.
If you need/want to take a break, that's fine, but do so by refraining to post and/or just making a note that you're taking a break.  Anything you post can and will be used against you otherwise.  So if your posts make you look like activelurking scum, then expect to be called out as activelurking scum. 

[Crassness is just one more service I offer as an IC, but I will try and make a note of that for you.]

Remuthra @ 137:  [PROTIP:  Stating "I am trying to hunt" in a post and not including actual scumhunting is not convincing anyone.  And source your quotes FFS.]

@Borno- What is more important as a doctor, finding scum or lasting as long as possible?
That's a tough one, but I think that lasting as long as possible would be the best idea, since then you have more chance to help people live...
Actually, this sounds suspiciously like a role fish, Remuthra. Trying to flush the doctor out so you can kill him at night?
Do tell how this is rolefishing, borno.

Everyone:  [It's pretty safe to say we're past the RVS at this point.  When questions (and accusations) start getting thrown around about the responses to RVS questions and we start analyzing motives and whatnot, asking more RVS questions tends to contribute little.  Now the focus needs to shift to analyzing other players' posts and looking for anything in their responses to focus on.]

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2013, 12:15:54 pm »

Back everyone.
Spaghetti7:
Know for sure? What about the godfather?
Very true. However, you can circumvent this by tracking down a vanilla Mafioso, investigating him and looking at those scumtells. This can give you a good feel for anyone else who could be scum, even if they turn up town. I still believe that this is more helpful in a game for newbies.
Also, extend.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »

PFP: More later.

•Nerjin - Neutral.  Has experience, so I'm not expecting too many newtells or easy slips.  Will need to squeeze later.
So I suppose signing onto the next BM would be going much too far then eh?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2013, 01:15:44 pm »

NQT: Good responses. Don't forget those reads though.

superBlast: Farewell. Be sure to come back for more when you're back in the mood.

Spaghetti7: I'm going with "foolish." Unvote.

Nerjin: Do you intend to use your early hunting to coast through today? Even your most recent vote for superBlast came with no question, no pressure. Why?

Reads:
Nerjin: I'd feel a lot better about him if I saw some content from him. He's done basically no hunting since he voted for Remuthra way back here. Looks to be activelurking scum in my book.
NQT: Just replaced in from Lord Zeroposts. Seems competent enough from his one content post so far.
superBlast: Just replaced out (maybe?). Before that, seemed pretty scummy due to flailing and WIFOM, but may just be a newb. Keep it in mind for his replacement.
Spaghetti7: Backtracks a lot, but could just be newtown. Still have my eye on him.
borno: Relatively few posts, but is solid when he does post.
Rumuthra: Looks a lot less scummy this time around. I'd still like him to push his suspects a little harder though.
Shakerag: All posts contain solid hunting or solid ICing or both. Seems town to me.
IronyOwl: Like Shakerage, but fewer posts.

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2013, 03:06:03 pm »

vote Spaghetti
Extend
@Spaghetti, you say cop is more important. Scum are concerned about cops moreso than doctors, because they can expose them. Defend yourself.

Lean List
SB- scum, too much WIFOM, not much good hunting
Irony- town, seems solid, needs to post more
Shakerag- town, seems solid
Spaghetti- slight scum
Soldier- slight town
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38