Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 93

Author Topic: Magic Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 218172 times)

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Mafia - Day 1: Let The Magic Begin
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:08 pm »

TheWetSheep, you probably picked water, huh? :P Just kidding. Who do you think will be lynched today (by category, not names), and if you were a day investigator, how would you pick someone to investigate? (Investigate alignment, action or whatever).
Hah. That, or, white fluffy barnyard animals. Who'll be lynched? Town, at a guess. It may sound pessimistic, but Day 1 you have very little to no concrete information to base accusations off of. Also, there are a few new-ish people in this game.
Why didn't you answer the rest of TolyK's question?
Wow. I guess after typing my answer to the first part, I just forgot there was more. Sorry, TolyK:
I would use it on the person I found most scummy. I like to be sure before I lynch.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2013, 09:13:23 pm »

Zrk2:
I apologize for improperly formatting this the first time:
Because I didn't ask what your role was, I just wanted to know how the abundance of roles will influence your actions. If you're really worried about possibly giving away your role treat it as a hypothetical. Consider a variety of standard roles. Mention one shots. Give me a big long paragraph of supposition. I wait with bated breath.

The problem is I honestly don't know.  I have no standard meta (outside of quickly racking up most posts and gaining the fewest reliable reads), and am dealing with each day as it comes.  My Mafia history is rather bland; I only have personal experience with doctors and cops.  I've seen how other roles are used but until I see them played in a game that I'm in I won't have an adequate feeling for how they effect the game.  Additionally most of the games on Bay12 (read "all the games I've  read") have an abundance of roles, so I tend to see more roles as the norm rather than something that will change my play, likewise the roles being hidden doesn't change much for me either:

So to re-answer your earlier question:

Scumhunting: Not much change if any: I trust Webadict to provide us with a game that will not be balanced significantly differently than a normal game; or at the very least to be balanced fairly.  The primary difference is that the town will have more information to work with, as we have far more power roles than a normal game.  The downside I see is that claims are easier for scum to pull off.

Use of my role: Again I don't really know.  I mean the actions themselves would gain more signifigance but I'm not convinced that the targeting would change, so unless you want to know how I'd target specific roles I can't really answer this.

The primary reason why I find your question suspicious is that as a new player "change" is absolutly meaningless. As such, the question becomes about my initial reads of various roles, which is limited to a small group.  To my mind this is role-fishing.  Could you further elaborate why that question is useful to ask a new player?
Please address the question.

Ranger:
Griff: Whats your take on  who appears to be the scummiest and who appears to be the towniest?  (lol, asked why i'm not questioning you right before i post.)
Re-reading the discussion now, I'll get back to you on my reads after that.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:10 pm »

Ranger
Tiruin: You've been on my case almost from the start of the day which, considering my mistakes and newbyness, is completely justified. I have small suspicions of you but non that warrant much other than gut feeling so... thats really it, sometimes i hate words.
Completely justified in the fact that:
1. Your first vote had no footing; the question following it was concerned about flavor regarding Vector. Not a good way to start RVS, but as you're seemingly new, I let that slide.
2. No Lynching. What makes you think that? You've never stated the "Role doesn't flip," but is very much concerned with a mislynch. Why?

[...]Toaster: you started with in the begginning but after a few more posts stop. you have since then completely ignored every stupid thing i've done which should have encouraged you to continue interigating me.[...]
> Interrogating.
> You pick at Toaster, specifically? Why him and not everyone else? (Note that if you did have something on him from before, its best to quote it as people tend to evaluate what they see at the moment compared to skimming back.) Skimming back, you're just poking at Toaster for commenting on your case.

This seems more like a way of keeping the attention of the strong players away from yourself to where i get lynched or NKed.
If this is directed to Toaster (there's a horizontal rule in between...so I'm unsure), then I don't see anything related to what you state here. Clarify please.

...Actually, Flailing much? Why are you voting him anyway? Meaning: On what grounds does your vote on him stand on?

Zrk2:

Here, you know that I didn't post after your question...right? That was me poking (read: stating observation) at your statements while stating what I thought of it, nothing more.

Why'd you ask me something, prodding it, and saying I didn't answer it yet when I...didn't actually answer it in between the question and the prod?

Vector
Given the context of the game, I'm thinking you conjuring a Crown is part of an action...somehow. How did that answer TolyK's question?

And thanks for that detailed answer on mine.
Spoiler: OOC - Vector (click to show/hide)

TWS (acronym'd OK with you?)
Tiruin:
Anyway.
TheWetSheep: How good do you think your chances of winning this game are?
I'd like to know how this helps at all, and why him of all people.
Why do you think this is a useless question? Since I'm new, it's a question that could cause me to stupidly reveal something about my alignment. Also, is there something special about me?
...I never said that the question is useless in the first place. What're you reading that I'm not? And you seem pretty concerned and defensive there. Why are you defending your alignment when there's nothing even implying such, sir?

Zrk2:
TheWetSheep: If you were a third party what third party would you want to be? Why?
I'd be a Watcher. The wincon is just so different from all the others that it'd be a difficult and interesting challenge.

Tolyk:
TheWetSheep, you probably picked water, huh? :P Just kidding. Who do you think will be lynched today (by category, not names), and if you were a day investigator, how would you pick someone to investigate? (Investigate alignment, action or whatever).
Hah. That, or, white fluffy barnyard animals. Who'll be lynched? Town, at a guess. It may sound pessimistic, but Day 1 you have very little to no concrete information to base accusations off of. Also, there are a few new-ish people in this game.
OK, this took a little digging up on what you meant by Watcher.  Did you mean a Watcher in the context stated here? Because that's essentially a Doomspeaker -- the person wins at Day {x}; unknown what happens when that happens...(Cause I can't find the answer :/)

@First statement: What's with that wincon? Survive until that time of day? How is that so different from everything else, and what attracts you to it?

@Second statement: Why Town? And why the 'pessimistic' attitude regarding "little information" - what makes you think there is "little information" in Day 1? What do newbies have to do with that?

Also...your question directed to Hapah could also mean the Watcher (as a ROLE). Please clarify that.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: [SIGN-UPS: 14 / ?] Magic Mafia - Periodic Sending of Elements
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2013, 10:25:51 pm »

Vector conjures up a crown. Her eyes widen in amazement.

"Holy shit! I just made a crown!"

"Wow! It's almost like you have magic powers!" Urist Imiknorris lays the sarcasm on thick.

"Suck my dick."

Everyone scoots a ways away from the two.

Vote Count
------------------------
Captain Ford -
Deathsword -
Griffionday - Zrk2,
Hapah - Urist Imiknorris, TheWetSheep,
notquitethere - The Soldier,
RangerCado - Deathsword, Vector,
The Soldier - Toaster,
TheWetSheep - TolyK,
Tiruin -
Toaster - RangerCado,
TolyK - Tiruin,
Urist Imiknorris - notquitethere,
Vector -
Zrk2 - Griffionday, Captain Ford,
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Hapah,

8 To Hammer. Day Ends Monday at 9 PM Central.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2013, 10:28:57 pm »

Ok...Redact my point to your Vector regarding the crown...It either seems you've flavor enhancing abilities (pun not intended) or...O_o

Though...I can see that you've italicized it.

Conjure Paper

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2013, 10:29:40 pm »

Okay, i need to stop jumping around this and just do something productive. Thanks Vector for getting me out of this... whatever i was doing. You look nice in the picture btw :)

Stop buddying and answer my fucking questions.

Getting people talking. Stimulating discussion. Seeing the mindset of how people approach the game. No matter what someone's outlook on a game is shaped by their role. By asking questions like this I am provoking from them comments on seemingly irrelevant matter and thus lowering their guard, giving me a better idea of what they actually are.

Fair.

Vector
Given the context of the game, I'm thinking you conjuring a Crown is part of an action...somehow. How did that answer TolyK's question?

And thanks for that detailed answer on mine.
Spoiler: OOC - Vector (click to show/hide)

You're welcome.  I'm trying to find out if we can interact with the flavortext like in KWN:DE.  I'm assuming not, but it's something I check every time the flavor is weird, just in case.  It doesn't really answer TolyK's question, but it was his query that brought it to mind.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

. . . Well, okay, then.

Crown self.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2013, 10:37:40 pm »

I'm trying to find out if we can interact with the flavortext like in KWN:DE.  I'm assuming not, but it's something I check every time the flavor is weird, just in case.  It doesn't really answer TolyK's question, but it was his query that brought it to mind.
Ooohh, something to read up on! Never thought the players could ever interact with the flavor at all, seeing as italics = Roleplaying. Thanks for all that too!

Crown self.
And then Vector became King(Role) :P

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2013, 10:38:07 pm »

Not enough time for a real post tonight.  Sorry!

Check back in AM.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:33 pm »

EBWOP: Found it. Hit post instead of preview.

Kill Webadict Now: Webadict Edition

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:32 pm »

Goddamn you guys are chatty. Let me catch up.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:10 pm »

No no, Dakarian Edition.  Webadict Edition. . . did not turn out well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2013, 11:14:36 pm »

>VECTOR< (yes thats a vote) why'd you just sit on my plate of pizza?

Because you can't seem to remember that I'm female, RangerCado.

Here is a picture.  Don't forget it.

i picked vector just that hes a good scum player and will remove when he posts.

So you're tagging me and will remove the vote regardless of what I say. . . fascinating.  Why did you think this was a good idea, again?

Just to be vague, one of my abilities is more viable to use the more i know about others.

My role isn't really suited for scumhunting

I have a proposition for everyone, Since this would only give everyone a vague hint, should we all say what element/object/thing we decided to have our role based off of? If four or more people agree to this, i'll then start with my element/object/thing just so i can form some sort of trust... in retrospec, this will probably just make me seem more scummy but i stick by this. atleast for now.

WetSheep: Not to give anything away, but my role allows both aggresive and passive play. i'll probably play cautiously for now until we can get some useful intel.

You sound nervous and somewhat obsessive.  Do you consider yourself useless outside of your role's powers?  Why or why not?

The only thing i can really be positive of is that, for the time being, a lynch won't help Town much unless there is definite proof.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:

"Mafia is a game based on gathering information."

Currently i have no solid suspicions of anyone, but would like to see what those who haven't posted yet think. I'll take my vote off Vector when he either posts, i get suspicions, or when the day is half over and i need to stop trying to interegate someone not posting.

You have an interesting definition of interrogation.  Also an interesting way of encouraging lurkers to post.

Since Vector has nothing to say i'll unvote her for now and focus on other things.

Captain: Who appears to be the most scummy to you right now besides Hapah for not answering?

On my next post i'll say some of my suspicions since i can get a good 2-3 hours studying this mess of quotes. Also, i think for now i'll vote No Lynch as i still believe it to be the best course for now.

Why did you decide not to vote for Captain here as you question him (or, better yet, add some pressure to that vote on me)?  I'll also add that that list of "suspicions" didn't seem to have much suspicion in it.

if its an SK we may have saved ourselves a lot of trouble.

This is provided that you are able to find the SK.

Okay, i don't want to be a liar so i'll say a couple suspicions i have that may have no basis other than gut feeling.

NUMBER 1: I believe that there are atleast 2 roles out there that will investigating during the day. This is more gut feeling that anything else. One could also be that Truth-Finder role i mentioned earlier.

NUMBER 2: Atleast 2-3 of us currently talking (Death, Captain, Toaster, Zrk, Tiruin, Urist, Tolyk, Hapah, notquitethere) are Mafia. There are still 4-5 people who haven't posted yet or did and i forgot their name. There may be a 4th (or the 3rd) in those that haven't posted but i think 2 of those mentioned is a reliable guess. We don't know how many mafia we're looking for but 3 seems a good estimate for now.

NUMBER 3: Toaster and Griff have been trying to get the most reads on people with Tiruin not far behind. This leads me to believe that either their playing very good scum or 1 of them is. I don't think any two of them of together but all or one of them have me on edge. I can't shake the feeling that one of them atleast is subtely targeting someone.

More on all this in 2-3 hours. i have to finish the school day and then thouroghly read through all these posts. See you then guys.

Excellent description.  Please explain, in detail, how your theories are something more than a conjecture and smoke screen.  You seem to post a lot, but none of it has any substance whatsoever--the pattern is that you explain you can't scumhunt because of ~your role~, and then post a lot of statements with no data, and then tell us you want to no-lynch because there is no information to be had.

This is the question you should be asking yourself: why is it that everyone else seems to have a lot of data, and I have none?

Oh, and:

NUMBER 1: Gut feeling is usually based on a lot of experience, or rather the product of a lot of assumed subconscious data processing based on a large data set.  What is your data set on which you are drawing?  I would assume that it is the varied games you are reading, but they have clearly not taught you how to play.

NUMBER 2: 14 - 10 = 4 > 3.

NUMBER 3: People are trying to get reads => one must be very, very talented scum?

Bullshit.

NQT: I have agreed with most of your statements thus far so i have little to suspect you on so far.

What does agreement with statements have to do with level of suspicion?
Okay, gonna see if i can answer all of Vectors questions without acting stupider than i already am.

I was going to see what you said and decide then, i just thought since i was voting randomly that i wasn't likely to get much.

My role is... let's say helpful when i can trust someone. I went a little over bored with the "vague" references to it so i'm gonna stop that. (i should have a while ago)

Yes information gathering is important and the game revolves around it. At the time i thought we could get more info from a no lynch. With everyone talking now however, I'm not so sure. I just... i have no opinion now really.

I'm not good at putting my mind to things and often don't do things i should. Both points being valid.

I have no info because i'm not good at this.

Since i agree with his statements, i don't think of him as scummy. I haven't found anything important that he has said that i don't agree with to some degree.

I'm not very good at reading people, and even less so when it comes to sorting through any information i have. I know its stupid to not be good at this when the games about it but i thought playing would help with that. Sastisfied? i'll answer anymore questions you have. Anyone else? (not trying to make this sound angry or frusturated... i'm not doing so good at that)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2013, 11:38:38 pm »

Hmm, ok Ranger. Let's try to straighten a few things, ok?

My role is... let's say helpful when i can trust someone. I went a little over bored with the "vague" references to it so i'm gonna stop that. (i should have a while ago)
> Cheers to me baffled by "Oh what? Trusting people affects...a power. Ok, weird." Because what I'm getting at from this is that you've an Active Action judging by "trust someone."

Because trusting people means using an action on them and all that. Going back to my question which you seemingly didn't answer -- Why are you telling all this?

While you did miss part of Vector's questioning (Do you consider yourself useless outside of your role's powers?  Why or why not?), you seem to do your best in answering em. Or just evading but I don't feel that intention there.

Yes information gathering is important and the game revolves around it. At the time i thought we could get more info from a no lynch. With everyone talking now however, I'm not so sure. I just... i have no opinion now really.
>...So you were thinking that No Lynching = information because people weren't talking, and that because of this it would give more time to talk. Right?

You do know there's an extend option. Right?

If wrong, explain please. Why did you think No Lynch = More info?

On that note, you do know that, in general, a Mafiateam have a factional NK, right?
Since Vector has nothing to say i'll unvote her for now and focus on other things.

Captain: Who appears to be the most scummy to you right now besides Hapah for not answering?

On my next post i'll say some of my suspicions since i can get a good 2-3 hours studying this mess of quotes. Also, i think for now i'll vote No Lynch as i still believe it to be the best course for now.
Why did you decide not to vote for Captain here as you question him (or, better yet, add some pressure to that vote on me)?  I'll also add that that list of "suspicions" didn't seem to have much suspicion in it.
Since i agree with his statements, i don't think of him as scummy. I haven't found anything important that he has said that i don't agree with to some degree.
Hmm, seems more like you flailing around. See, a vote is used as a pressure option - mostly psychologically than physically. You doing what you did right there signifies that you don't seem to want to pressure others.

Why are you reluctant to vote other people? Or start up a case on them? Poke at them, sir.

Ahead of time, my [current, awaiting questions to be answered] read on Ranger is newbie-leaning-townish. One is because of the sheer amount of sincerity in which he gives his posts. I can't detect any sort of ulterior motive in them, or how they're worded, but he's sincerely trying; trying not in the way of getting out of the lynch by appearing to do stuff, but trying to reason in a compromising way -- not the best way of communication, but at least its open and gives room for talk.

PS: When quoting a huge post, use "-snip-" or just "snip" or a ellipsis to signify that you've cut out some parts and are focusing on only one part. Or if you're quoting the post-in-whole, just replace all text with a "snip" to show you're replying to that post. Because the quote speaks for itself as a link.

Take note, there's a 'quote' option (speechbox-ish button when you Reply to a topic) which is much like what I did above. Simply copy-paste the words you want between and into the quote tags.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:42 pm »

Also, to those confused about the time.

8 To Hammer. Day Ends Monday at 9 PM Central.
I'm betting Central = CST - Central Standard Time Zone. Meaning GMT -6 [Daylight savings = -5]

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2013, 11:55:05 pm »

UNVOTE There was no real evidence so it was baseless. lets see if i can do something right.
i'll be posting one last time before i go to bed so ask questions now, i'll answer, and give my opinion on what others do. so far, i got nothin. Be back in an hour/hour and a half.
and quick answers to Tiruin: I have no freaking clue why i'm saying that. mostly to try and get some pressure off me most likely but i may just be an idiot.
I thought a No lynch would help as we may have many Night based roles, both helpful and harmful, that everyone may get more information from rather than mislynching a townie.
i'm reluctant to vote or press others as i'm not a very assertive person.
Put each answer in its own area as i'm on a DS again. i hope i fixed some of my flailing. i'll be here in an hour for anymore questions. i need to calm down.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 93