Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 93

Author Topic: Magic Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 218162 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Mafia - Day 1: Let The Magic Begin
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:08 pm »

Yes, thank you.
I'm trying to get a feel for how you approach the game. I want to know how you believe you would react to certain situations. I'm trying to see how you work, how you think, what influences you. I don't need to know your role, I just need to know what influences your decisions, thus it is not rolefishing.
Alright, fair enough.  Why did you choose to pose a rather open ended question rather than more concrete scenarios?

Like I said earlier; to get you talking. To see where you would take it if left to your own devices. I get more out of it this way.

I'll put together a longer post in a couple hours.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »

Woo, I'm male XP

Also...seems like the crown thing is an action (a relatively funny one - still stuck with my thoughts on the King power-role as Vector got it back...) But its amusing nonetheless.

<3 Webadict's games.

PFP

EVERYBODY CHECK DIS

I've got a one shot magic power that allows two people (not myself) to talk to each other in private for the rest of the game. I want all interested parties to say who they'd like to talk to and why. Whoever gives me the best reason gets it. Say something quick as I'm going to allocate some time on Saturday!

FAQ
Why are you doing this in public? This way I can learn more about people and their priorities as well as more effectively use my power.
Are there any strings? No strings attached.
What happens if you don't deliver? It would mean I've been day-blocked, which shouldn't even be a thing.
What about:
"When did you receive notice of this? Now, or...before now?"
"Is it fallible > Is it being watched"
"Is it to be used at a certain time period; meaning can you use it anytime day/night, and even if you're dead/roleblocked"

Also, day action?

Hmm :/

What I'm thinking bout this thing...denotes two things. One, very gutsy if scum - the no roleflips don't aid much given the information entailed. Two, When you say "Private", what is this "Private" talk anyway? What methods are used? Three, are there any ulterior motives which pertain to alignment?

Poking everywhere here. NQT: Why did you claim now?

Griffy
Regarding your DS-Ranger dialogue, why am I not included there? It seems I've helped the guy, isn't that true? Still feels like you're basing it over a question-intention basis; while I agree with that, where's your proof? Any signifying quotes?

Also...I really think you're getting intuition wrong when you ask someone else to check it. It's what you believe, sir. Now:
How would you define the criteria you use for getting reads and ranking them during this phase of the game?
No definite criteria other than how a person words their post, their intention gleaned from it, any mismatching wording or spotty arguments and all. Rank holds no water here as I'm mostly a person of wavering doubt; doubt in a way that I'm always under the mindset of 'give that person a second glance' and 'wait, maybe there's something up. Deeper down. Check the wording, the essence of the idea'...

All after the due process of conversation, of course.

PPE Zrk2
Now you've got him talking, then what? Are you going to continue poking him, poking others, or just stating your reason henceforth?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2013, 12:25:25 pm »

okay, lets post something small as i don't have much left to go on for Zrk but here goes.

Zrk, Tiruin, Vector, and Griff: How do you 5 feel about NQT's rather out of nowhere statement? Do you believe that this is a good idea? Why and can you trust that NQT does have a string attached were he is able to see the posts in some way?
EVERYBODY CHECK DIS

I've got a one shot magic power that allows two people (not myself) to talk to each other in private for the rest of the game. I want all interested parties to say who they'd like to talk to and why. Whoever gives me the best reason gets it. Say something quick as I'm going to allocate some time on Saturday!

FAQ
Why are you doing this in public? This way I can learn more about people and their priorities as well as more effectively use my power.
Are there any strings? No strings attached.
What happens if you don't deliver? It would mean I've been day-blocked, which shouldn't even be a thing.
FOS NQT: This was rather out of the blue, (coming from me this isn't saying much) I would like to know your reasons behind using this ability now and not on a later day. Day 2 may have been a better idea when we all have more information and more solid suspicions. Not sure i trust this so i'm going to stay out of this power if i can help it. (atleast for now)

Zrk: Can't really say anything more than previously. I still think you have some alterior motive but until you get out a more substatial post, i have nothing to analyze. I will however ask this. How do you feel about being Griff's second pick for most scummy person, and who are your current top 3 for scummy? How about Townie?

(New reply seen edit) Tiruin: what are your thoughts on who appears scummiest and who appears towniest? Also i agree, there has to be some catch to NQT's power.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »

Ranger:
I am assuming these due to the chances of lynching a town are much higher on day one, and i have rarely seen a mafia lynched on day one unless they made a slip-up. A no lynch allows anyone who can investigate to go off on their suspicions and see if their confirmed and any deaths could potentially give us useful intel.

These points show that a no lynch also can give us an extra day due to no death on day 1, depending on how the nights go.

The issue is we do gain data from any lynch, even if it's town.  Voting patterns start to emerge early, and they can be followed, traced, and examined later.  Waiting around assumes lots of things will work in the town's favor.

Also, given the expected high-power of roles in a Web BYOR-style game, the sheer likelihood of extra kills pretty much nullifies this.

Toaster: how many people do you believe is a good number to be trying to get reads on D1? And if all survive the night, would you continue to focus on them or shift your focus from 1-2 of them for other things?

Hm.  I wouldn't go by a certain number, but going into N1 you should have a read on several people- enough to get any night action targets lined up.  I would reevaluate them based on D1 lynch and any N1 kills and flips or night action results, then go on accordingly.  No one is ever completely excluded from scrutiny, but I certainly admit to not having a full read on everyone D1 in pretty much any game.  I've never been a good D1 player.

Toaster: it seems strange to me  that, unlike Tiruin, you've somewhat ignored my mistakes after clearing up my first couple posts. this seems odd to me as i thought more-experianced players like you would be pressing people on this... did i just critisize myself?

I will point out mistakes I see, but if others call you out on them and I think it was a genuine mistake instead of an act of ill intent, I'll probably ignore it.

Do you want me to be more harsh on you?

Toaster: you started with in the begginning but after a few more posts stop. you have since then completely ignored every stupid thing i've done which should have encouraged you to continue interigating me. Tiruin, Deathsword, and now Vector (since her huge post) have all pointed out faults in my logic and all my jumping the gun moments. I may be wrong here but it seems silly to leave off your first suspicion (i don't care if i'm a hypocrite) when they've acted as badly as i did and probably still will. You could argue that i'm harder to read because i'm new here and my mistakes can come down inexperiance, but thats not much of exuse in the long run.
This seems more like a way of keeping the attention of the strong players away from yourself to where i get lynched or NKed.
i may be overthinking this but i need to start somewhere.

So... I'm scum for not attacking you over doing something silly?

UNVOTE There was no real evidence so it was baseless. lets see if i can do something right.

Okay, now I will give you a tip:  If you back off a vote before the person even responds, it's a giant beacon that you weren't serious about it in the first place.  This seriously damages your ability to be threatening.  If you're town, you want to be able to intimidate scum into making mistakes.  If they think they can just blow you off, you're not going to get results.

I believe in the morning i will use my vote to try and pressure Zrk.

This is good, but telling him it's a pressure vote takes the pressure out of the pressure.

The Soldier: (re Daykill) I see.

Griff:
Toaster
Griff:  Eh?  I've been addressing several people at once.  While I do try to spread my focus somewhat, I don't see value in spreading it to everyone.
It might just be that I'm spreading myself too thin attempting to get a read on everyone; but why is there little value in spreading your focus to everyone?

What answer would have helped you?
Any name you mentioned would let me know who you were paying attention to, and from there I could have seen you interactions with that person.

Well, if you apply pressure to everyone, the scum you tag know that there's no actual force behind it and can respond with ease.  Picking scum out of just a few people is more hair-raising.

And fair enough.

Ford:  What's the scummiest thing you've seen so far?

NQT:  Give it to me or I'll give you a wedgie.

Urist Imiknorris
If you had the power to initiate a private chat with someone, how would you decide who to aim it at?

Why are you asking people to help you with your powers?  Why UI?

Urist I:  Even if you hate RVS, doesn't not participating mean a glut of posts you're not really invested in when it comes time to leave RVS?  How do you know when to leave RVS if you're not in it?

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2013, 12:44:17 pm »

okay, lets post something small as i don't have much left to go on for Zrk but here goes.

Zrk, Tiruin, Vector, and Griff: How do you 5 feel about NQT's rather out of nowhere statement?
Oh hell no are you making fun of-...

Err, we're four people.  :-\

See my post for the reasons.

what are your thoughts on who appears scummiest and who appears towniest? Also i agree, there has to be some catch to NQT's power.
At the moment, everyone's at a null state. Where null is the state in which no certain alignment can be derived as either the conversations haven't ended, not much information has been gleaned, or those who are being asked from haven't replied yet.

Query for you: Why are you being somehow, transparent in your posts? You're stating all your intentions and side-commenting on them.

PPE: Toaster

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »

Tiruin
<3 Webadict's games.
Couldn't agree more, although I might be biased here...

Regarding your DS-Ranger dialogue, why am I not included there?  It seems I've helped the guy, isn't that true?
You always read as town to me in all the games I've read, more than that I can't even glean differing levels of townieness from you.  You are ranked as neutral because I feel you are terrifyingly good at playing the same game in either role.

Still feels like you're basing it over a question-intention basis; while I agree with that, where's your proof? Any signifying quotes?
No real proof, but there's also the fact that; unlike certain players (NQT I'm looking at you.), he's become more active after the start of the game than before, which at the very least shifts him towards the green until I've more to work with.

Also...I really think you're getting intuition wrong when you ask someone else to check it. It's what you believe, sir. Now:
First game here.  Intuition has not been been properly calibrated yet.

NQT:
As a personal favor, please don't give any hints as to who you pick to speak together.  Just read our reasons, answer questions about the claim, and select who you wish.  The reason is I'd prefer to give scum as little information as possible in selecting their NK.

Also: removing my request until you answer the slew of questions about your role-claim.

Does this attach Lovers or some such rubbish to the roles of the people it's used on?

Ranger:
Zrk, Tiruin, Vector, and Griff: How do you 5 feel about NQT's rather out of nowhere statement?
4=/=5

Do you believe that this is a good idea? Why and can you trust that NQT does have a string attached were he is able to see the posts in some way?
Not how I would use the role.  Of course we can't trust him, but I'm not really worried about him seeing someone give me advice.  Now if it attaches Lovers to our roles then it's scary.

Also i agree [with Tiruin], there has to be some catch to NQT's power.
She never said that...

Toaster:
Well, if you apply pressure to everyone, the scum you tag know that there's no actual force behind it and can respond with ease.  Picking scum out of just a few people is more hair-raising.
I see, fair enough.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2013, 12:54:42 pm »

Zrk2
I'll have more to discuss after your longer post, but for now:

Like I said earlier; to get you talking. To see where you would take it if left to your own devices. I get more out of it this way.
By that point I was already talking quite a lot, so I assume you meant talking toYOU.  But if that's the case why did you completely miss the post where I answered your question that you "waited for with bated breath"?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:59 pm »

Oh hell no are you making fun of-...

Err, we're four people.  :-\

See my post for the reasons.

what are your thoughts on who appears scummiest and who appears towniest? Also i agree, there has to be some catch to NQT's power.
At the moment, everyone's at a null state. Where null is the state in which no certain alignment can be derived as either the conversations haven't ended, not much information has been gleaned, or those who are being asked from haven't replied yet.

Query for you: Why are you being somehow, transparent in your posts? You're stating all your intentions and side-commenting on them.

...Apparently i can't count... It seems i should be keeping my big mouth shut at this point. I need to stop stating my intentions... I need more practice at this. (also, what am i supposedly making fun of? I really have no clue)

Ranger:
4=/=5

Do you believe that this is a good idea? Why and can you trust that NQT does have a string attached were he is able to see the posts in some way?
Not how I would use the role.  Of course we can't trust him, but I'm not really worried about him seeing someone give me advice.  Now if it attaches Lovers to our roles then it's scary.

Also i agree [with Tiruin], there has to be some catch to NQT's power.
She never said that...

I thought it was implied that Tiruin thought there was a catch.  And UGH, Lovers could reap havoc on this game. Unless its 2 scum, then thats fine.  :D And yes i can't count apparently
[/quote]

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »

Just remembered we have till monday. Going to guess that there won't be much activity over the weekend as everyone will be busy doing their own thing. Have a good weekend everyone! I'll still be active over it if anyone needs something from me, just not as active.
[/quote]

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2013, 01:12:35 pm »

Weekends are usually slower, but not always.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2013, 01:19:36 pm »

Tiruin
"When did you receive notice of this? Now, or...before now?"
I've always had it, but I've just learned that I can't use it on myself.
"Is it fallible > Is it being watched"
It's a private quickchat between two folk- only the mod can see it.
"Is it to be used at a certain time period; meaning can you use it anytime day/night, and even if you're dead/roleblocked"
You can chat whenever, but I assume you can't use it when you're dead. Not sure about roleblocking but I assume it has no effect.
Also, day action?
I can use this one-shot whenever.

Hmm :/

What I'm thinking bout this thing...denotes two things. One, very gutsy if scum - the no roleflips don't aid much given the information entailed. Two, When you say "Private", what is this "Private" talk anyway? What methods are used? Three, are there any ulterior motives which pertain to alignment?
1. Would be very gutsy and probably ill-advised for scum. 2. A shared quickchat. 3. Only in that, best case I get two town folk to talk to each other. Worst case, it's two scum or town and a scum and I won't have lost anything in it.

Poking everywhere here. NQT: Why did you claim now?
I was saving it to use with myself and one other, and I was waiting until I got a solid town-read. But then Wuba clarified in PM that I couldn't use it on myself, so i decided to open it up to the floor.

RC
FOS NQT: This was rather out of the blue, (coming from me this isn't saying much) I would like to know your reasons behind using this ability now and not on a later day. Day 2 may have been a better idea when we all have more information and more solid suspicions. Not sure i trust this so i'm going to stay out of this power if i can help it. (atleast for now)
No, I wanted to use it today in case I don't survive the night. I thought it'd be right up your street if you wanted someone you could definitely trust: a private chat would be very helpful, no?

Toaster
NQT:  Give it to me or I'll give you a wedgie.
I'm shaking, I'm shaking!

Urist Imiknorris
If you had the power to initiate a private chat with someone, how would you decide who to aim it at?
Why are you asking people to help you with your powers?  Why UI?
Back then I thought (incorrectly) that I could use it on myself. I was looking to see if I could get any additional advice towards that end, disguised as an RVS question. I picked UI to ask at random.[/quote]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2013, 01:42:26 pm »

Hapah:
Hapah: Refusing to answer is a sign of guilt, so I'm going to assume you are a wizard. And as we all know, all wizards are evil. Give me one good reason why you shouldn't be lynched.
Why are all wizards evil? What if I'm a Wizzard? Gandalf wasn't evil. And if you lynch me I'll take back my cheetos, you bastard.
Wizzard was a band, not a type of magic user. And Gandalf was fighting on the side that supported continued subjugation (or possibly genocide, I don't remember) of orcs.

TheWetSheep:
UI: How do you choose your random vote target?
Randomly. This game I voted the fourth person who I could say from memory was playing.

NQT:
Urist Imiknorris
I'd wait until I was reasonably certain someone was town, then use it on them. Alternatively, I'd pretend I thought one of my suspects was town and aim it at them to better gauge their alignment.

I probably missed something. I'll post more when I'm less tired.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2013, 01:44:48 pm »

That read through was surprisingly painless.  I'm in no way 100% on my reads but here goes: scummiest would be Captain Ford, he seems to be absentmindedly dodging questions and not looking all that hard.  I don't know his schedual, so my read will likely change once he gets the chance  to answer the questions posed to him. Most townie would be Soldier, he seems to be fairly straightforward to read, and seems to be trying to hunt scum.

Ford: You seem to have been distracted as of late in this game, where have you been?
This is totally the first question anyone has asked me yet.

But I'm also guilty as charged. Work has gotten a lot more intense for me lately. Also, I was planning on having guests over on Wednesday, but they never showed up, and I'm assuming the only one whose phone number I know left his phone on vibrate. I spent all that time preparing for a meetup that never happened, and I spent the rest of the evening working off my frustration, since we gave up other plans for him.

I spent Thursday at a D&D game after work.

Tonight after work, I might actually have some fucking time.

Anyways, I sent that question at you because I wanted to do something, and decided I was just going to pick something at random and ask "why did you do that". Both the question and the way I asked it have a tendency to panic newbies. Your reaction came off as genuine to me (not bad for 30 seconds of work on my part).

I will admit when I asked that I hadn't had time to actually read anything, though.

At this point, what I'm noticing is that Ranger seems to be fumbling through the RVS (which is pretty common for players new to this forum).

The problem I've been having is a matter of "Their play-style is significantly different than mine"=/="They must be scum"
I totally understand what you mean by that.

NQT: Uh. Wow. How about this: I swear on my honor I'm town.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »

Ford:
This is totally the first question anyone has asked me yet.
Ford:  How would you judge a role name claim out of the blue?  Let's say it's D2.

Yeah... I can't really see how you'd miss the second post in the game.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »

PFP
Ford:  How would you judge a role name claim out of the blue?  Let's say it's D2.

Yeah... I can't really see how you'd miss the second post in the game.
I guess I assumed it was some other guy named Ford. We may never know the real reason.

But thank you for pointing it out.

Toaster:
Like a boss.

More specifically, I would consider the person's posts leading up to the claim, their reasons for claiming (both stated and possible hidden agendas) and then I would poke at them to see how they reacted. Possibly with a stick.

Also, I'm the one who submitted bikinimancer.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 93