Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vomit Monster vs. Steel-Clad Dwarves  (Read 3494 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Vomit Monster vs. Steel-Clad Dwarves
« on: May 13, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »

I had a FB show up which was made out of vomit. Lol! I figured this would be easy. How hard can it be to kill something made out of vomit, right?

Crossbows don't seem very effective. They fractured nearly every single body part before expending all their bolts, but it had no effect.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh well, send in the grunts, hopefully they'll kill it before it gets the chance to use its poison.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wut?

This goes on for some time. Nearly all the attacks from steel weapons "glancing away" off of a monster made out of something the consistency of soup!

Several dead dwarves later (despite the monster only having a "push" attack, and all the dwarves wearing complete or nearly complete steel armor), somebody eventually got behind it and chopped its head off with a steel sword, but not before nearly my entire military was exposed to the poisonous gas.

Who would have thought vomit was so resilient! Apparently rather than wasting their time making steel armor, dwarves should just puke all over their warriors, and then send them out utterly impervious to 90% of enemy attacks!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Vomit Monster vs. Steel-Clad Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 05:49:22 pm »

and that is why all FBs are best handled with cave-in traps.  8)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:54:08 pm »

Yikes!  I would have assumed it would go down quickly too -- it is a quadruped, so it probably has size, but it doesn't have hooves.

"Push" sounds benign, but it is really just a verb when there are no predefined attack names, like "kick".  It is just as powerful as normal attacks from FBs.  Think of pushing gently.  With a sledgehammer.  At around 90 MPH*.

*That's about 145 Kph for most of the world outside the US
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:25:13 pm »

Who would have thought vomit was so resilient! Apparently rather than wasting their time making steel armor, dwarves should just puke all over their warriors, and then send them out utterly impervious to 90% of enemy attacks!

If your dwarves spend long enough underground, they puke all over themselves, so no worries, that part is covered!

They don't end up invincible though.  Sadly.

Think about it though, if you're fighting something made out of vomit, anything that didn't slice all the way through (such as a decapitation) would merely take a chunk out of the vomit and then the rest of the vomit would (presumably) flow down and fill in the gap, all "damage" done being erased quickly.

Toady One: we need an explicit definition on the physics and flow properties of vomit, stat!  Can you imagine the day when random fluids other than magma and water get coded in to be collectable as more than just "pools" or "puddles?"  Kill vomit FB in pit, drop prisoners in pit to be doused in vomit.  For laughs.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:25:54 am »

And this is why the toady one has decreed there shall be no more bodily fluids implemented. Ever.

Goddamn B12ers weaponize it immediately.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 03:45:18 am »

And this is why the toady one has decreed there shall be no more bodily fluids implemented. Ever.

Goddamn B12ers weaponize it immediately.

See sig  ;)
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:24:23 am »

What are the material values for vomit?

Could we create a new civilization of vomit creatures, with their own cultures & trades?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:18:01 am »

I'm surprised, I thought vomit was supposed to be among the "easy" materials, as listed on this page http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Forgotten_beast
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:09:16 am »

Around 90 MPH*.
If you is using the values for research or something scientific in general, use Km/h, m/s. Kph don't mean anything.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 01:12:30 pm »

The greased-up deaf guy effect.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 02:10:02 pm »

Around 90 MPH*.
If you is using the values for research or something scientific in general, use Km/h, m/s. Kph don't mean anything.
Actually, the standard is to not capitalize the k, so it's km/h.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:10:31 pm »

Around 90 MPH*.
Yep, you are right, I meant "kmph" (which really should have been "km/h").
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 06:10:37 pm »

Yep, you are right, I meant "kmph" (which really should have been "km/h").
Sorry, I posted this from my pone and it capitalizes the letters if the textbox lose the focus of the screen.(like some as3 games react when the processor ignores them on pc)
In a time before time, I had a name.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 05:41:21 am »

I'm surprised, I thought vomit was supposed to be among the "easy" materials, as listed on this page http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Forgotten_beast

Well, blobs are the easy FBs, and this one was a quadruped. I like to think that blobs are giant variants of amoebas, and if you pierce their membrane, their bodies rives apart, spilling their internal fluids all around.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 05:58:43 pm »

Really?
I was under the impression that blob type monsters are in certain situations the most dangerous, since they have no body parts to be hacked off.
That's why giant sponges are so dangerous...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.
Pages: [1] 2