Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100375 times)

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #360 on: May 25, 2013, 03:19:37 pm »

Ok Griffy, will do. I would appreciate any specific questions though because you may have noticed that I like to answer multiple questions in one statement. So if there is anything specifically I missed that you want me to answer fully and directly I will just give me the word, but I will keep an eye out for questions that I haven't answered or have not answered adequately.

Lenlon, I actually thought I answered that post (indirectly). If I have not I actually meant to. One second, I'll do a little bit of review there and I will answer.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 25, 2013, 03:33:07 pm »

Huh, guess I didn't, sorry for the double post.

Quote from: Vector on May 24, 2013, 02:49:34 pm
Yeah, see, you keep on assuming that the scum is going to play nice or be obvious.  Why didn't you win last game?  Just couldn't pick up on the obvious signs?

You're assuming that if you devise a perfect enough machine then you'll be able to weed out all scum and keep all townies without any real work.  You'll lynch off everyone that mixes things up for being "against the group."  But I'm going to tell you one more time: You don't get an ideal group of players.  You get what you get.  You have to learn to work with what you have, rather than wasting lynches on "oooh, I don't like him" or "aaah, I don't like her playstyle."  You can't afford to buddy up to Lenglon because she's "a better scumhunter."

Just look at the numbers.  Town has three lynches before they lose.  What will you do in a game with four scumhunters you don't like?  I promise you that the more vocal you are about it, the longer the scum will try to keep them alive.  Or, what will you do in a game where the person you like just happens to be scum, and you spend the better half of your time trying to defend them from townies you dislike?  Do you legitimately think that you're not going to get lynched?

Look, I'm not asking you to be nice.  I'm just asking you to be somewhat less stupid.
I think the original question or at least the conversation referred to my perfect scum hunt. It is obvious that this would never work because we are all human. (Why do you think we have internet trolls.) My perfect scumhunt would have obedient people doing just as they should and I would have a perfect machine to do the weeding for me. Sad to say, it looks like that is impossible and I'll have to get on my hands and knees to do the weeding myself. Take note that this is my perfect scumhunt but not my perfect game. If everything were so perfect the game would no longer have the difficulty or the fun it possesses.

Vector, we get to lynch someone three times but others are removed from the equation each night (as long as no power roles intervene). This changes your later point exponentially. Also, I simply defended someone who I thought was being attacked unfairly. I have changed my opinion since griffy's post about town etiquette.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 25, 2013, 03:47:58 pm »

Vector, we get to lynch someone three times but others are removed from the equation each night (as long as no power roles intervene). This changes your later point exponentially. Also, I simply defended someone who I thought was being attacked unfairly. I have changed my opinion since griffy's post about town etiquette.

I'll just say this: one of these games Lenglon is going to be scum, and you are going to learn a hard lesson about white-knighting.

And remember--if you're right, then why on earth would the scumteam try to help you?  "Whatever you want" needs to be the environment that's hardest for scum to thrive in.  Polite and friendly is, frankly, easier.

Vector: What was the most difficult mafia game you have ever been in and why?

I don't know where to start, to be honest.  I always feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

Beginner's Mafia (I) nearly gave me a heart attack (and a phobia of Webadict; I had to convince him that I was lurking and passive because I was naturally shy and unassuming); in Rysith's Semi-Bastard I had to pretend to give up in order to win the game, and mimic the mod's voice; BYOR: P lasted like half a year or something and had a lot of third-party roles with really crazy stuff going on.  The hardest games for me are ones where you have to suddenly think outside of the box and convince people to do things that you know--and, often, they know--is very much not in their best interest.

Most of the games in the Notable Games Archive were Hard Games for everyone involved.  You might enjoy a readthrough.

(Reminder to self--need to update...)

Hey Captain Ford, you seem to have a deathwish.  Ready?  I already smell your graveyard's cypress on the wind.

Because seriously man, you're playing as scummy as I've ever seen you.  Inactive, sullen, not exactly fecund with the ideas, giving absolutely no advice, making no attacks, disseminating no opinions.  Usually you're loud and passionate, and defending all the wrong people.  But you've got a style, at least.  Now you seem frozen and incapable.  You've made, what, three posts in the past week?  Just sort of stuck your vote on someone and left it there?  Something like that.

In any case, you're being quiet and I have a very hard time believing you'd sign up for this responsibility and lurk your fucking face off if operating as an honest sort of fellow.

So that's the case: wake up and look lively, or die, scumbucket.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13:07 pm »

Why do people keep ignoring me?

Vector:
I know it was focused on both you and Ford, but I did ask you a question that I'd like an answer to:

Are you planning on following through with your pressure on Birdy, or are you satisfied with your read on him for the time being?

I ask because you seem to be satisfied, but you indicated that you weren't here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shinigami:
Ok Griffy, will do. I would appreciate any specific questions though because you may have noticed that I like to answer multiple questions in one statement. So if there is anything specifically I missed that you want me to answer fully and directly I will just give me the word, but I will keep an eye out for questions that I haven't answered or have not answered adequately.

This one for now:
Hmm... I'm still not sure what post you were referring to when you said  I'd "accused you of not scumhunting."  When you get a chance could you quote the one you were thinking of?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 25, 2013, 05:50:41 pm »

Oh, right.

I'm satisfied enough.  I was going to ask more questions, but then birdy started sounding better.  I was thinking "bluh bluh everyone sort of sounds townish wat do, do I seriously have to go do a reread now and start kicking sand" but then I realized that there was indeed someone I was less certain of and didn't have an excuse for being passive and soft-balling.  Hence Ford.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 25, 2013, 06:20:22 pm »

Sigh, i didn't want to do this but its come down to it. If i wait, theres no telling if it'll be too late or not.

To help the Town, I am the Cop. Cue your questions.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 25, 2013, 06:21:45 pm »

RangerCado.

There is no cop role in this game.  Burn in hell.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 25, 2013, 06:23:07 pm »

RangerCado.

There is no cop role in this game.  Burn in hell.
Check page one Vector, its unlike you to call that so quickly without checking.
[/quote]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 25, 2013, 06:27:30 pm »

Potential Roles (Experimental roles in *)

Vanilla Townie - A member of the town with no special abilities.
Mafioso - A member of the mafia with no special abilities.
Cop (Town) - A cop may choose to inspect a single player during the night and learn that player's alignment.
Doctor (Town) - A doctor may choose a single player to protect during the night, preventing that player from being nightkilled.
*Jailkeeper (Town) - A combination of a Roleblocker and a Doctor, a Jailkeeper both protects and blocks the target from acting during the night.
Roleblocker (Mafia) - A roleblocker may choose a single player to block, preventing that player from performing his action.
Godfather (Mafia) - A godfather appears town to Cop inspections.
*Role Cop (Mafia) - Much like the Town Cop counterpart, the Role Cop investigates a single other during the night to learn their role, instead of their alignment.

The one I suggested a while back was
2 of 3
One of the following setups is used:
1. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop, Jailkeeper.
2. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop.
3. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Jailkeeper.

(Jailkeeper roleblocks and protects their target)

Ah wait.  I missed seeing the sane cops in the above setups.  Fuck me.

All right, explain.  Why are you claiming?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2013, 06:29:25 pm »

Ranger:

I know you attempt ruses, but seriously: what are you trying to achieve with this claim?

Vector:
I'm satisfied with your answer for now, and don't have anything else I can try and improve my read on you with...

How does one "kick sand"?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »

Ranger:
Sigh, i didn't want to do this but its come down to it. If i wait, theres no telling if it'll be too late or not.

To help the Town, I am the Cop. Cue your questions.
Further questions:
Too late? This is day one. YOU HAVEN'T USED YOUR ABILITY YET!
What makes you think "It's come down to this"?
How do you expect this to help us?

Also a note: if the most likely question is "What the hell dude?" you probably shouldn't do it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 25, 2013, 06:36:18 pm »

Vector:
I'm satisfied with your answer for now, and don't have anything else I can try and improve my read on you with...

How does one "kick sand"?

Find whatever's most scummy and start a fight so big that it's impossible to ignore.  It's basically a second RVS, but you use data you already have to create some pyrotechnics.  It's something to be done when the town is lagging and nothing is happening.  Pick a fight.  Get a read.  Pay attention to the way everyone else is falling and what they have to say.

I say "kicking sand" because it usually feels pretty juvenile, but I've never found anything that works better when the energy is dead.

Also a note: if the most likely question is "What the hell dude?" you probably shouldn't do it.

Yeah, this one.  My best guess is that Cado's lying again, because he didn't learn enough of his lesson from last game.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 25, 2013, 06:39:15 pm »

Shinigami will be too stubborn to change his vote from me unless someone is blantanly scummy.

Lenglon doesn't look like she's about to change her vote anytime soon.

And Birdy has a bad feeling about me everytime i post, thinking i must have some deeper meaning behind every question.

With Dem only at 1 vote now i can't last minute tie it and try and deal with the rebound day 2. If i die day 1, it will be as if i was a regular townie since i would have no night data. If this prevents a mislynch, even if i'm NKed, I will have fulfilled my goal. The only way to prove my claim would be to either outright die and flip Cop, or if i find a mafia player tonight. I'm taking a risk here in the hopes that it prevents town losing a power role. Theres my reasons.

PPE: And you guys are gonna kill me anyway... Well, i tried.
[/quote]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 25, 2013, 06:43:11 pm »

You had only three votes on you, you moron, and most of those were there because you haven't been playing your best and because there weren't any scummier targets.  Now that this has happened we practically have to lynch you in order to lift the WIFOM.

If you're town, then you put in an effort to clear yourself.  And you put in an effort to find the scum.  If you're going to be lynched, you go down fighting.  Because you've done none of these, it's just about impossible to believe your claim.

Yergh.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »

Wow.  Worst timing for a role reveal ever.  I'll post my opinion later, but right now... WOW
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 51