Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55574 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 2 - Life on Mars
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 10:36:44 pm »

Remember that due to our caste, we shouldn't be focused too much on technological fixes for problems. We have too many people to nightproof them all, therefore that was the fastest solution.

I'm with modifying for cold resistance, burrowing, and stealth. They're our biggest assets at the moment.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:20 pm »

I got an idea for a little experiment

6)Take 5 larvae, immobilize them in some way, feed them nicely, create separate room for them and - plant 5 flowers right inside their bodies.

I'm with modifying for cold resistance, burrowing, and stealth. They're our biggest assets at the moment.
And smaller size. That adds to stealth and will help with food problems
But digging and stealth should be a priority over cold resistance, underground is much warmer than surface
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:42:39 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2013, 10:43:08 pm »

I got an idea for a little experiment

6)Take 5 larvae, immobilize them in some way, feed them nicely, create separate room for them and - plant 5 flowers right inside their bodies.

Hmm... This could be interesting, and we're kinda the mad scientist caste, so why not.

I'd wait until we're sustainable first, though.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2013, 10:44:55 pm »

As it stands, the native environment for the planted Flowers is "a dark, dirty hole in the ground", which will mean these plants will eventually adapt to become mycoheterotrophic (read: functioning without photosynthesis) plants that prefer Ph-neutral-leaning-towards-basic soils.

While the Body can indeed do a variety of adaptations, the overall efficiency of each additional change decreases considerably.  It is very plausible to be cold-tolerant and adapted for digging from a single Jelly, but adding more traits beyond that have a greater and greater chance of making some changes less relevant.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:46:27 pm by Ross Vernal »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 10:47:33 pm »

Than I say go for digging all the way, it's not our last unit of jelly we'll ever get and we have much digging to do, first generation of our children on new planet should be adept diggers... than we may adapt queen back to the surface
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:04 pm »

Hmm, I still say going bigger is too our advantage as being principally underground for now is plenty of stealth.

I am intrigued by UkrainianRanger's 'Science' project though, perhaps only 3 drones sacrificed though, and maybe not all immobilized, one or two should still be able to move freely around and go about his business. If the plants can adapt to their conditions and so can we, perhaps we can adapt to each other and form a more interesting symbiosis. Also, Royal Jelly + Flower of Life graft = ?

For now though perhaps we should provide conditions for the flowers more like that of the surface with the plan being that we are eventually going back aboveground.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 11:44:12 pm »

As it stands, the proposed course of day-actions are:

- Armor and seal entrance tunnel with heavy armor plate
- T-caste begins system integrations, focused on Flowers and heat
- B-caste and soldiers begins mining operations, some distance away from the main hive
- Pollinators tend plants
- The Nurse begins hybridization efforts with 5 Larvae and finalizes healing of L2 Soldier
- The Queen uses Royal Jelly to adapt to digging and underground conditions, with some consideration of increased insulation
- Grubs consume displaced soil and begin excreting valuable elements / "night soil"
- Corpses are eaten in lieu of Flowers, with priority going to high-intelligence Kai, followed by larvae!hybrids, followed by T-drones, followed by B-drones, followed by Pollinators, followed by S-soldiers.

Is this correct, and/or any other suggestions?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2013, 12:04:58 am »

I'd say we'd do the mining in the hive itself. Just branch out some tunnels from the primary hive chamber.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2013, 12:31:52 am »

I would rather not completely seal the entrance, leave a door or something that wouldn't involve digging a new tunnel or dismantling our barricades to get to the surface. We really should send a raidning party back to the ship for more resources, although we could wait until the 'heat' dies down...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 2 - Queen of the Stone Age
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2013, 01:10:21 am »

The first thing to do is seal off the Hive from the outside. A small transmitter device is situated and concealed on the edge of the pit to allow the remote detonation of the scuttling charges on the Hiveship; after this is completed, a piece of the Heavy Armor Plating is dug in and set to block the entrance to the Hive. You decide it would be a waste of resources to make a full-out blast door, but nonetheless create a system of cables by which to physically manipulate the "door" should physical exits be required.

The reason why it is a waste is because the Tech Drones are busy performing integration of Your systems. While You are not the expert at technological pursuits, You nonetheless have a basic knowledge of engineering, fabrication, and other such things that would be expected for a industrialized spacefaring race. Grubs are dispatched to dig heating and vent tunnels designed to provide additional heat for the Flowers of Life while the Tech Drones assemble basic fans and temperature probes.

The next part of the heating system is much trickier - the telemetry computers are re-purposed to serve as a reader and controlling device. Fortunately for the small gathering of Tech Drones, Your Ancestors were forewarned enough to understand that these computers would need to serve multiple purposes. After the parts and wires are installed, the Drones test the jury-rigged system, which starts with a clickwhirr and causes the heat to flow. As a result of the temperature control, the Hive's temperature changes from "Survivable in the short term" to "Uncomfortable but tolerable."

While this was happening, You ingested the Royal Jelly after tearing off very small chunks to facilitate the experiment. After feeling the nutrients and essences in Your stomach, You enter the body-trance and guide Your purpose. Your instincts tell You to grow and strengthen Your mandibles to grasp and tear at the soil, for Your carapace to harden, especially about the legs to furrow through the soil, and for the small "hairs" on Your legs to thicken and grow into spiny rakes to move the soil.  You envision Your digestive system changing to safely accrue and excrete soil elements. Lastly, You envision Your assorted sensory antennae to become sensitive to seismic vibrations and assorted stimuli. After exiting the body-trance, You are pleased to find that not only are Your changes successful, but that Your carapace is mildly warmer than it was before Adaptation. You sense that Your body has changed reproductive cycles to allow Mining variants of the standard Kai.

The Nurse finishes the nutrient slurry for the L2 Soldier, and moves to work on the Hybrid experiments. It administers a small amount of paralysis toxins to two of the Larvae, while leaving three as regular. After a careful moment of studying an immobile Kai, a groove is cut into the flesh of the back, a miniature dose of Royal Jelly applied to the inside of the wound, and a Dormant Flower of Life implanted. This continues for the remaining four, and after an observation period, two of the mobile Larvae remain alive with the Flowers in a stunted, premature state.

The Pollinators observe the plants, and periodically perform certain dances and make assorted noises of varying frequencies. During this time, the Flowers sway back and forth, their growth increased noticeably - at least an inch taller and several centimeters thicker.

In the meantime, You oversee the mining tunnels with B-caste drones and several Soldiers to move soil. You lead the digging and carefully dig a tunnel as deep as You dare to allow geothermal heat to seep into the Hive, while Drones periodically split off to search for minerals. In this, You find your attempts to be for naught, although it is getting warmer in the Hive.

Night falls.

Now what?

Spoiler: You Are: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Eggs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You Own: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Food Supplies (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Extremely Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)

[If you want to know the general appearance I have in mind, imagine this crab and this wasp combined. Fair warning that you really might not want to imagine that, of course... The Queen is different in the sense of her looking like this wasp, at least with the leg spikes.

They're almost cute in a horrifying sort of way.]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:19:52 am by Ross Vernal »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2013, 01:49:23 am »

Attempt to cook up some mining drones.
Focus on securing a food supply.
Build a deeper, somewhat remote, lets say 36 metres away and similarly distant from the surface, chamber for your own chamber, the nursery, and another 10 flowers.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2013, 02:32:21 am »

Create low-tech digging equipment for our soldiers, that can work as a melee weapon, too. Titanium pick like instruments can speed up the digging considerably and soldier's strength will get better use

Also, try to fix the stasis chamber. That's a good way to save some food

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:05 am »

Attempt to cook up some mining drones.
Focus on securing a food supply.
Build a deeper, somewhat remote, lets say 36 metres away and similarly distant from the surface, chamber for your own chamber, the nursery, and another 10 flowers.
+1
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2013, 02:50:21 am »

Make queens chambers considerably less warm (maybe to the point of ventilation shafts to the surface), that will aid us both in making more cold resistant flowers and more cold resistant offspring

Also, we may consider digging narrow "light" tunnels, to let sunlight reach us at noon for a brief period of time ( If we can find mirror equivalents, that can be increased)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2013, 03:31:00 am »

Heat emissions will reveal our position if we do that.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50