Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55580 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 4 - Hybrid Theory
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2013, 02:04:08 am »

I still want to go on a queen rampage, as nothing has really changed. We could diplomatically recover from blowing up our own ship and the folk studying it by claiming it as diplomatic ground. They did fail to contact us afterall. And bear in mind that while we are not actually planning on any diplomacy, it still takes effect due to assumptions and such, so long as we only attack our own ship they might not assume us to be aggressive. As for the reasons for the queen rampage, I want to give them some horror stories before we disappear into the hive, never to be seen again... But yes, on a practical note, if the authorities know about the crash, then, well, we might get lucky and think that scavengers got to it first, but they probably already know that we salvaged it. Best case scenario, they assume that we are all dead and can't get our technology to work, but can still make guesses about it. Worst-case, they find the contact details of one of our former acquaintances... If we smash it, worst case: queen dies, game ends drags on slowly as we try to scrape by with what we have and hope we can cook up a new queen or get by on commanders... Best case: crash-site levelled, all our technology is destroyed or in our possession, authorities blame it on some other party. Most likely we blow up the site but there is still recognisable pieces, queen injured but mobile, probably lose a soldier or two, some technology and reports of our actions gets back to the folk in charge, and they know that we can mount an offensive and don't come from the hippy world of peace and love...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2013, 03:48:08 am »

The humans know a dangerous alien might be in the area. What do you think they're going to do if their scout team dissappears without trace, or worse, when they hear the screams of their violent deaths?

Remember that our race is considered quite a threat. As in, let's destroy the entire solar system just to keep it quiet.

((On that note, I think we might want to try and contact the humans, and blackmail them. After all, if they don't leave us alone, we announce our presence and get their entire species wiped out as collateral.))

But no mad rampage, in no case.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2013, 04:17:43 am »

They will likely hunt for us regardless, although we might leave a trail... And our enemies are more likely to find us if the natives identify is, which is more likely to happen based on our technology than our appearance...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2013, 04:22:23 am »

They will likely hunt for us regardless, although we might leave a trail... And our enemies are more likely to find us if the natives identify is, which is more likely to happen based on our technology than our appearance...
The humans aren't going to tell them. They know that our enemies would gladly blow up the entire solar system, after all.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2013, 05:25:08 am »

Do they? You find a random crashed ship, find a signature on it. Pass the signature along to some more widely travelled species. They ask around, suddenly all the wrong people know that someone is looking into our mark. How long does it take someone who is willing to destroy star systems and exterminate the entire species to talk someone into revealing their source? If the natives know who we are in context, then they will hunt us down with everything that they have. If the natives do not know our context, then they may well reveal us to someone who does and has a good deal less to lose by revealing us...
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2013, 05:29:23 am »

The humans watched the war. They were a neutral party if I believe. So we can blackmail them, by threathening to reveal ourselves. (which will result in their absolute destruction). It's an unstable stalemate, but it works.

So yes, they know how we looked, but I highly doubt they can find out who we were from the remains of a destroyed and salvaged stealth ship.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2013, 06:52:08 am »

We should think about independence of tech because our M-caste is able to spread as much as they like even without tech and using melee only fighters

Main problem with the self sufficiency of M-caste is that they need to raise flowers, and here are three possibilities exist

a) Planting plants underground
b) Planting them above ground
c) Mobile flowers from the hybrid

a) Brings problem of fertilizer.. Raiding surface to get biological material is the only option for non tech centered option
b) Is more interesting, as we can plant flowers remote areas than come back and harvest, while bipeds will destroy some gardens it's damn hard to destroy them all... But we need flowers that can survive on surface without our aid
c) We still need to see what we'll get here
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 5 - Beautiful Lasers
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:48 pm »

The detection of the Hiveship by the Humans has changed the priority of things slightly. As always, the priority is on food development, and You complete the final processes of working on the Flower beds. In this, you are assisted by Bore Worms, who reduce the iron level of the soil, and after they are completed, by treating the soil with acid to reduce its PH and flooding it with water, before repeating the process once more. Satisfied by Your tests, You leave the Pollinators to perform their duties of plating the Flowers, and remove the dead Commander from stasis, as well as instructing the Nurse to begin the destatis of the L2 Soldier.

You take it and the Larvae that has greater resistance to shock to the Biolab. Here, you take samples of both, as well as from Yourself, and examine them in great detail to analyze the differences. At this, You are successful, and follow up the samples with a quick autopsy to confirm Your theories. This being done, both are eaten, and You begin the process of imparting the traits of what You have consumed into Your offspring. You also note the patterns and differences for future integration within Yourself after a liberal dose of Royal Jelly. Thinking of Royal Jelly, You proceed to the Queen's Flower and begin to tend to its needs for the rest of the night. While the Flower is small for a Queen's Flower, it is nonetheless surviving in its hostile conditions.

While Your attention is spent with the Queen's Flower, a group of the Tech Drones begin the production of Sensory Arrays. Given the current state of the industrial lab, it is faster for them to print the components and assemble them by themselves than to attempt to manufacture them directly. After the initial run of components, other Tech Drones begin the manufacture of a solid frame for the Blast Door, as well as running cables to the PD Lasers in order to create a kill chamber. Lastly, the Drones disassemble an Environmental Protection Suit, study the designs, and re-create it in a Soldier-sized platform, adding plates of heavy armor and superalloys to keep it secure against combat.

Orders are sent to the Assembler to make Energy Blasters, the Kai are fed, and the sun begins to rise.

Now what?

Spoiler: You Are: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Eggs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You Own: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Food Supplies (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:20:24 pm by Ross Vernal »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2013, 02:09:49 pm »

I think you forgot to add the suit

1) Bore worms to gather elements that likely useful for flowers, mostly to be used on the underground variant to see if such agriculture is sustainable to any extent
2) Queen to analyze and consume one of xenofauna samples and, together with pollinators tend for all flowers in her chambers. Prioritize on the evergreen flower and queen's flower. We need some royal jelly.
3) Tech drones to try to fix Navigation/Telemetry Computer and reprogram it to analyze whatever info gathered from sensory arrays, especially radio waves.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2013, 04:15:57 pm »

I think you forgot to add the suit

1) Bore worms to gather elements that likely useful for flowers, mostly to be used on the underground variant to see if such agriculture is sustainable to any extent
2) Queen to analyze and consume one of xenofauna samples and, together with pollinators tend for all flowers in her chambers. Prioritize on the evergreen flower and queen's flower. We need some royal jelly.
3) Tech drones to try to fix Navigation/Telemetry Computer and reprogram it to analyze whatever info gathered from sensory arrays, especially radio waves.

+1 to 1 & 2, -1 to 3
Keep the Telemetry computer as a Telemetry computer (as that could be quite handy later for long range shenanigans), and hold off on repairing it until the situation has stabilized a bit.

Have the Tech caste begin manufacturing the equipment they would need to setup a proper production line for the blasters and simpler body armor for the rank and file soldiers. Also look into producing more Grow lights as well as drip lines and other useful agricultural implements for growing our Flower growing operation.

a) Planting plants underground
b) Planting them above ground
c) Mobile flowers from the hybrid

As for 'agricultural' research, we have already started work on all of the above to varying degrees. Hybridizing the evergreen plant with the Flower is a good first step towards creating self-sufficient surface cultivars. As for the Kai/Flower hybrid, depending on the outcome with our 'captive specimen' I would like to see how a Hybridized Flower/Pollinator combo proceeds next (in a sealed environment, perhaps a small hydroponics pod so they can tend to some free growing flowers to see if anything beneficial takes place).

Also, have some of the unoccupied B-drones begin digging a series of much deeper tunnels, to be converted into a 'backup base' as we have the resources. That way if the Bipedals find our nest and try to bomb it into glass, we will have a relatively safe bunker to plan our next moves from.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:46 am »

I think that ability to analyze enemy is more important than some long range applications later. And more important than weapons now

Besides reprogramming computer back shouldn't be that hard

Also, I'd like to design some refined pollen fuel explosives and pressure landmines based on that. If we go base building route, better entrench it to hell

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 28, 2013, 09:10:00 am »

Wouldn't a light stealth/recon unit be useful about now? They know we're here, so the argument about avoiding discovery is now void. We could also use it to conduct ambushes and delaying tactics to buy us more time once we spot their inevitable response team.

Also, what is the Martian military like? Do we have any information about their disposition, equipment, or tech level?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:21:12 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 28, 2013, 10:06:38 am »

Also, what is the Martian military like? Do we have any information about their disposition, equipment, or tech level?
Nope.

No non meta, and even then we didn't really encounter the military last game.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:37 pm »

Nope.

No non meta, and even then we didn't really encounter the military last game.

Without going into too much detail, humans are capable of terraforming Mars. There's a few hundred years gap between today and in the future. That means that, at a minimum, today's high-caliber projectile weaponry is equivalent to IC low-caliber. It's safer to say the humans have a lot of militias which are used for defense to supplement the SPACE MARINES, and most Mars-steads would have a few riflekind weapons.

The kind of weaponry that could be expected of Human make includes, but is not limited to:

• .50-plus caliber projectile weapons
  • full-auto railguns
  • integrated weapon systems
  • short-range "plasma" style weaponry
  • powered armor
  • large, inefficient directed-energy weapons
  • EXPLOSIVES!
  • Biowarfare

As far as Galactic tech goes, humans are on the lower end of the totem pole, but they can certainly adapt Galactic-standard weaponry.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 28, 2013, 02:48:07 pm »

seeing as humans wern't that involved with the war could we maybe convince them to help us? Let them know that, through no fault of ours, this solarsystem will be distroid if the rest of the galaxy finds out we are here taking most or all of their speicies with it. On the other hand if they join with us we can give them a great technological advantage.

Or if thats to much of a long shot we can always make clones of them that secratly carry Our gemline cells and will produce more of Us even if We are killed 
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50