Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Here's some useless science about eggs  (Read 7001 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Here's some useless science about eggs
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:28 am »

If you kill all the males after the eggs are laid, the eggs don't hatch.

Not sure exactly when the 'magic' happens, but it's longer than 6 weeks.  I'm guessing 3 months, but this knowledge is completely useless, so I'm not going to check.  Me go sleep now.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Here's some useless science about eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:00 pm »

There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:03:43 pm »

> Produce a host of eggs
> Kill/cage all males (does caging count?)
> Change temperature of chicks to the surface of the sun
> Lay eggs across desired paths
> Release male to produce thermonuclear chicksplosion
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:42:36 pm »

> Produce a host of eggs
> Kill/cage all males (does caging count?)
> Change temperature of chicks to the surface of the sun
> Lay eggs across desired paths
> Release male to produce thermonuclear chicksplosion

Eggs only hatch in a nest box and require the mother to incubate them, but now I have a vision of some hen sitting on her clutch of ticking time bombs.   :D
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:52:00 pm »

Egg drop shotgun?  If dropped strawberry seeds can kill, I can foresee chickens as an infinite supply of deadly ammunition.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 06:02:40 pm »

Are you sure that this wasn't just a case of eggs not hatching?  I know it's possible for eggs to sometimes just not hatch, even with males on the map.  Repeating the test would help clarify this (savescumming may help); if you do it like five times and the eggs never hatch it would look quite confirmed.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 06:08:51 pm »

I love that this was weaponized within minutes of being posted.  Well done!

Are you sure that this wasn't just a case of eggs not hatching?  I know it's possible for eggs to sometimes just not hatch, even with males on the map.  Repeating the test would help clarify this (savescumming may help); if you do it like five times and the eggs never hatch it would look quite confirmed.
I'm sure :)

And there's just no point.  If you want to make eggs not hatch, just pick them up and put them in a stockpile.

Although it would be cool if sometimes a bunch of chicks came boiling out of your kitchen stockpile.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:24:43 pm »

Well honestly, I tried to get egg laying going
It took me a bit to learn I had to lock my hens in rooms to lay eggs, assign a pen, wait for it to be brought, then lock the door
The good news is the males can be anywhere.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 07:50:46 pm »

Egg drop shotgun?  If dropped strawberry seeds can kill, I can foresee chickens as an infinite supply of deadly ammunition.

Eggs are comprised of various subparts (yolk, and everything!), so you could say that the shells are VERY insulating (or otherworldly cold, like nethercap wood is) and that the yolk is 9999999999urists in temperature. This gives you a reasonably safe to handle thermite bomb.

Unstacking the egg using the trade depot, and then loading them into a minecart shotgun would have fantastical potential, given the horrific volumes of eggs that chickens lay.

Science experiment!  Do eggs ever shatter from being dropped, and if so, how far/how hard must they be dropped/thrown to rupture on impact?

*tempted to find out!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:56:43 pm by wierd »

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:52:45 pm »

Science experiment!  Do eggs ever shatter from being dropped...?

This!!!

I'm unavailable to DF at the moment, but I will !!SCIENCE!! this as soon as I'm able. I'm thinking a drop tower, with hatch covers every 5 z's or so. Close 'em all, then open the topmost one and drop an egg. Keep opening more hatches and dropping more eggs until they break (or until we're convinced that they won't).
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:25 pm »

If it turns out that eggs simply cannot be broken, then it opens the door to a bug report. Logically, eggs should be very fragile!

This means toady gets put in a tight spot: fix the bug, and make eggs smashable, (and let modders make doomsday "kinder surprise" eggs) or refuse to fix the problem, and evade opening pandora's box.

Its so horribly delicious!

Personally, I hope that eggs are already smashable.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 01:26:56 am »

I'm almost positive that they're currently unbreakable.  Severed body parts used as weapons don't take further damage, do they?  Or hurled body parts?  I would expect eggs to be treated the same way.  Which is unfortunate, as you mention, since it would allow some very cool effects.

I have no doubt it's planned, but probably not until 2030 or so...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 08:17:27 am »

I tried a similar set up using vials of glass filled with a custom liquid that was very volatile. I tried throwing the glass vials as weapons hoping they would break and release their contents. I had the option of throwing an unbreakable vial (worthless) or throwing the liquid with my hand (which led to my death).

I assume the same would be with eggs (well, them being unbreakable at least).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:52 am »

Eggs are comprised of various subparts (yolk, and everything!), so you could say that the shells are VERY insulating (or otherworldly cold, like nethercap wood is) and that the yolk is 9999999999urists in temperature. This gives you a reasonably safe to handle thermite bomb.

Unstacking the egg using the trade depot, and then loading them into a minecart shotgun would have fantastical potential, given the horrific volumes of eggs that chickens lay.

Science experiment!  Do eggs ever shatter from being dropped, and if so, how far/how hard must they be dropped/thrown to rupture on impact?

*tempted to find out!

That would be fantastic. But, as already discussed, I'm quite certain that eggs are unbreakable.

Also, I don't think it's a bug - I would guess that this was simply not considered.

So, make it a bug report/suggestion. We NEED breakable throwables!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 04:51:53 pm »

Woops, ignore this, bad science.  I forgot about the animal pop cap.  Already had too many to hatch.  Sorry! I'd been awake for like 30 hours straight.  And the sun was in my eyes.  And my dog ate my homework.

Edit:  On the plus side, I discovered that eggs in nest boxes have a lower priority for cooking jobs than booze in barrels.  So setting 'make lavish meal' on repeat will make a TON of wealth very fast and cook up all the booze in your fort.  As long as you have eggs disabled in all your stockpiles.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:49:24 pm by kingubu »
Pages: [1] 2