Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Merchantlusts - Turn 6: Madness and Chaos and Death, Oh My  (Read 16934 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchantlusts - Turn 3: Magic Daggers from Nowhere
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2013, 12:12:53 pm »

From the Diary of Monitor Lizard Lisard, carpetner stonecrafter:

"Guess who's in charge now? After creating that artifact crown (Working with my seal tooth chisels was my best, I knew it!) I immediately took the position of Overseer. Our previous overseer, Dwarvinator, desided to continue his medical practice. (He's a Chief medical dwarf now.)
 So, just after I moved to my new apartment (Decent Quarters, yeah!), I decidet to take a look on a current state of Merchantlusts...

...Well...

The architecture here is so fucking complicated. I can't find even find basic workshops like mason's.

Where's a bar? I need to have a drink."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:16:04 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2013, 12:20:31 pm »

I left the industries all on the same level as the hall. That area was a kind of strip mine three tiles wide, with a few parallels the same size. Instead of digging out new rooms - I needed the miners for digging out the 300+ tiles for the water project - I just lumped the workshops into the parallels and then started chewing out bedrooms so they'd be close to their workplaces. Hit f2. There's a kind of production line set-up for jewelled crafts, bottom right - the mason is just under the stacks of iron ore, middle left. Meeting hall is top right and hospital is middle right. There's also a rope as a justice standby near the well in the hospital. Bottom left is carpenter and clothing. All food/booze production is crammed together on f3.

As to the water thing, I was dead jammy with the size of the sump. I took a rough guess, and luckily it was nearly bang on.
The rest is a bit sloppy, which is why it needs constant attention. Lol. At least trees won't jam up the works, all the water channels have constructed floors. The channels are a bit long, aargh - evaporation, but I wanted the water to go where it was needed. There is no escape route from the well...(Edit: actually, I think there is a route via the grate in the meeting hall - provided the circulation system isn't running.)
I reckon Murky Pool could maybe be designated as a pond - and then possibly fill it by bucket gang from all the surrounding puddles. Probably wouldn't take too long, now we're up to 46 dorfs.
I was just amazed nobody died/got trapped during the construction.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:14:41 pm by Dwarvinator »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 12:25:55 pm »

I'm just amazed our local necromancer hasn't yet dropped in with a housewarming gift.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Maybe the werepandas will come back in time to bite the necromancer and leave us fighting a were-necropanda

EDIT: I also can't wait for someone in a few years to do something horrible/ingenious with the plumbing system. Or just forget how it works and somehow doom us all.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:30:24 pm by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2013, 12:30:23 pm »

I'm uploading the screens right now. 21 of those, to be precise.

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2013, 12:33:59 pm »

If there's a Mechanical Genius in the house, I bet the water treatment plant could be automated with pressure plates.

Also, please dorf me. I like where this place is going :D
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:22 pm »

"What? We don't have a bar? I'll organise one.

No one's working right now. Everyone's sitting in the dining hall. Great.

Here's the hematite crown I'd made. It's worth more than 20 grands.

Looks pretty.

Oh man, look! When did this trader die?

Ever heard about Boatmurdered, kid? I hope this outpost will do better.

And, finally. Meet my boyfriend, people.

Isn't he just cute? ^<>^"

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2013, 12:57:54 pm »

Oh man, look! When did this trader die?
His demise was news to me when his ghost popped up, I swear.
Soz, forgot to mention the crown. To be fair, it wasn't perhaps as notable, as say, a thing actually useful - such as a shield, a door or a grate, even.
Somebody else mooded. And died. Fortunately wasn't dorfed.
No one's working right now. Everyone's sitting in the dining hall. Great.
You sound just like my boss. It's uncanny.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:06:24 pm by Dwarvinator »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:11 pm »

Makes sense that the (former) embark carpenter hooked up with the embark woodcutter

I've also updated the main post with important information, and tried to make it look prettier to entice newcomers.

Do your part! Help keep the running dorf status list updated! (I'll do my best to estimate statuses based on overseer updates, even if I have to use implied knowledge)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:10:06 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »

From the Diary of Monitor Lizard Lisard, carpetner stonecrafter:

"We've got enough rooms but they haven't been properly equipped with furniture yet. And the main hall needs to be smoothed.

There're not many engravings here. Are there any, actually?

At first I decided to build some proper housing, but then I found out there were enough rooms already.  Anyway, we'll need it when future migrants arrive.

Dining room is being reorganised. We'll have a nice dwarven bar here.

Uristoteles's been on break for a while, and her co-workers were hauling stones. I had some tasks assigned for Merchantlust's jewelers. GET BACK TO WORK NOW, YOU LOUSY IDLERS!

Some work for our butcher.

Our previous overseer, noble Dwarvinator MD has been doing some dirty jobs like hauling for a while. I guess, he should do some jobs that require more qualification.

Here's a page from Dwarvinator's journal. He gave one to me when I was assigning rooms.

Now it's time for some industry management."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:50:56 pm by Monitor Lisard »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2013, 04:04:49 pm »

I have a suggestion for future trading, especially with Dwarves.  Pay close attention to how the other merchant feels.  "Willing to trade" can turn into "unwilling to trade" pretty quick on big transactions.  (Hopefully whoever gets to the depot first has some judge of intent).  What I mean is don't try to pull off a huge single trade.  Start off with some low value stuff and a few hundred profit for them, then work your way up.

Quote from: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Merchant#Merchant_mood
The happier you make a merchant, the less profit margin he will demand in a trade. If merchants reach the lowest level, no further trade will be possible, and they will immediately pack up and leave your depot. Since annoyed traders are more likely to reject deals, you should be generous in initial negotiations. Skilled negotiators seem less likely to offend traders with unsuccessful deals.

An easy way to capitalize on this mood system is to perform several partial trades. First trade for a few items, offering goods twice the value of the items you ask for (e.g. offer 2000☼ for 1000☼ of his stuff). This will likely make the merchant ecstatic about trading with you. Exit the trade screen, unpause briefly, and then return to trading with a vengeance. With the merchant in such a good mood, he is more likely to counteroffer than reject a trade outright.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »

That's really good advice. Thanks!
I can see it now.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:07 am »

"Defined a very special stockpile behind the counter. Barrels which are stored there are filled with alcohol and milk only."

Clockwork Orange reference, anyone?

"Wow. Animal trainers are so epic here, we have a ton of stray keets. An the giant moth is gone. Still, no one gives a fuck.

Desided to do some farming on the ground level. Longland grass and whip vines are profitable now.

Welcome to Lizard's, the best local bar and restaurant! Dwarven ale for everyone!

Captain Argembarger's been busy recently, training our glourious troops and equipping our army. It's an army of one, actually - we only have one bismuth bronse chainmail shirt (Which is now worn by our only soldier) and a single leather armor.

Anyway, there are some new people in our local government.

There were a lot of managers and other useless nobles professional bureaucrats in our fortress, so now Saint's doing a broker's job. Some random guy took over expedition leader's office. As usual, nobody cares. Dwarven democracy as it is."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:10:11 am by Monitor Lisard »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2013, 04:30:10 am »

I'll dorf Bobnova as soon as I can.:) I'm going to build a huge metalsmithing and mechanics factory, so he can be the lead engineer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:36:37 am by Monitor Lisard »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2013, 08:20:33 am »

That's a very cool-looking bar. Also, we ha{ve|d} a tame giant moth? When did that happen? Damn.
I can see it now.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2013, 11:39:52 am »

Aww, I got fired :( Just when I was feeling smug, too.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15