Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Ancients  (Read 2223 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Ancients
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:53:08 am »

Howdy guys. If anybody recalls from my previous posts here in Other Games, I've previously worked on a game called Project Terra. This was a game set in 200BCE where you could roam the world of Earth in a top-down MMORPG - this turned out to be an inconvenient design.
After a few reworked ideas, I and a friend are now working on it's descendent, The Ancients.

The Ancients is a game set in a generated world. The world is split into areas, and each area is hosted by the players, though there can be numerous servers for each area. As a result, the player can customize his world to an extent of "My servers only", "My friend's servers only", "Official Servers only", "Random server every day!", "Favourite servers"... etc. You get the idea.
Furthermore, the creatures are generated; heads, legs, arms, tails, wings - all of which effect their appearance, statistics, abilities, attack styles and behaviours.

- The idea of the game is that the player can, in one scenario, simply build a hut in the wild and live off the land. Or, the player could start the building blocks of civilization, build houses, attract NPC ("Actor") migrants and start a civilization, governed by personalised governments, laws, rules, punishments and personalised castes.
- Every actor, including the player, have Sims-like needs; hunger, thirst, rest, bladder, hygiene and social. These will need to be tailored to the actors in your civilization.
- Actors will, given caste permission, design the city for you, and with given funds and resources, build it. Actors will set up businesses; market stalls, shops, inns, taverns... they will go out and find resources, starting up a mining business, or find a fishing spot to bring fish to his store.
- Actors grow old, give birth and die. Start a family and have your legacy continued - but alas, watch as your children die of old age.
- Diseases are generated. It's down to you, or your local doctor actor, to learn to recognise symptoms and discover cures.
- Combat is split into three categories;
- - Duel: Duels are advanced paper-stone-scissors, where two players/actors can fight it out, man-to-man.
- - Battle: Battles are turn-based tactical systems. Actors in your party will fall under your control, and you could be ambushed at any moment - persuading the use of formations whilst passing through the wilderness.
- - Large Scale Battles: A large-scale battle is expected between clashing large groups, guilds or civilizations. These work as regular battles, but across multiple "Fields". At the back-ends of each fields are commanders who can place down "Waypoints" that given commands to the players/actors in the battle to follow - Attack here, hide here, defend here, ambush here, attack this guy, help this guy, etc.
- Players can design their own gear, right down to the materials used. The world is made up of 30 or so rocks, some containing a % of ore, some not. These, plus wood, stone and other such materials, can then be crafted into weapon and armour components (Hilts, crossguards, blades; axeheads, hammerheads; shoulderpads, breastplates), which are then "Put together" to design a whole new piece of armour.
- Armours have a "HP, Soak, Deflect, Bleed Chance, Dodge Penalty" system, which in conjunction with players' very low health, mean that players must learn to rely on dodging, protecting himself and being skilled in weapons to avoid being hit. A strike from a hammer or a steel sword *will* hurt.
- Players can do so much more than "Combat animals" to hunt them. Set pitfalls, snares, bait traps and a number of other such devious designs to attract and make hunting a literal "walk through the... forest", picking up the corpses of - or finishing off - trapped animals.
- Sail the sea. This is something I've been wanting in an rpg game for a long time. Build your own ship and then take it to the high seas. From a tiny little hollowed out semi-sphere that floats well on the river, or a grand three-mast battlecruiser. Purpose being either for carp-fishing, giant-monster-fish fishing, trading or warfare. Awesome.

In any case, that's a few of the ideas that I can think of. It's all documented, and we're pretty excited to see this completed. We update the Devblog every 1-3 days, depending on advancements made throughout the day.

DevBlog: www.theancients.eu/DevBlog/
Forum: www.theancients.eu/forum/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/AntiquityGames/

Nest Sites, used to track the population of local species.

Different rocks found through the world, some you've possibly never heard of, but are real.

Random creatures, most of them use the same body, but have generated attached parts.

An early demo village, flora are truly outdated.

Generated "bladed" weapons, all are possible combinations.

Three generated "Small land creatures" possibilities.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:04:30 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: The Ancients
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:00 am »

I'm not an expert by any means, but I like the concept. That's a lot of things you want in the game, though - good luck with that. ptw.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:46:21 am »

Furthermore, the creatures are generated; heads, legs, arms, tails, wings - all of which effect their appearance, statistics, abilities, attack styles and behaviours.

... Including the player? :P

Sounds interesting though. Good luck!
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:03:33 am »

Sounds fascinating, ill keep my eye on it.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:49 am »

... Including the player? :P

We were considering this, but it wouldn't work out too well with equipment, and seeing as there's only two of us, the graphics too would be too overwhelming to undertake. Such a shame. :(
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:54:25 am »

best of luck ! i love the ideas :)

that may sound very ambitious but hey, if Toady had posted about early DF somewhere describing what he intended for the game, that would probably have sounded insanely ambitious too  :P

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:01:53 am »

I remember Terra. Shame it fell through, but I'm sure you can pull something off here. Good luck hombre! ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:14:03 am »

I remember Terra. Shame it fell through, but I'm sure you can pull something off here. Good luck hombre! ;D

And I remember the great Labs! I missed you  :o
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:37:52 am »

Sounds very promising; definitely something I would play. Looking forward to more updates!

Also the link you posted to the devbog above goes to a 404 error for me, but it's fine from your site.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 11:43:38 am »

PTW. Looks interesting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:48:19 am »

PTW.  This looks great, good luck with it

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 12:23:24 pm »

PTW.
As we say in Poland "Powodzenia!" (Good luck) (pov-otze-nya)
I completely suck @ phonetic Engrish, though.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:08:02 pm »

PTW.
As we say in Poland "Powodzenia!" (Good luck) (pov-otze-nya)
I completely suck @ phonetic Engrish, though.

Djenke! (or some such...)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »

So this is what you've been working on.

After 2 months of not logging into Steam, I thought you were dead.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 02:10:48 pm »

Looks interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2