Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Stalker – Community RPG Game  (Read 26664 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stalker – Community RPG Game
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:59:44 am »

Stalker – Community RPG Game

Thirteen years ago the Visitation occurred.  At six points along the 43rd parallel on the earth's surface something, or someone, caused the laws of nature to degenerate within discrete circles of land, radiating up into the cold of space.  These six Forbidden Zones, just “Zones” now, have redefined humanity most immediately by forcing political and technological change, but more deeply by insisting on collective philosophical and religious meditation.  Yet what each Zone contains has been only seen, thusfar, to be nothing short of monstrous.  Perversions of reason, order and physical law that mock humanity's curiosity and will to control.

You are a Stalker, an illegal scavenger both hunted by the Institute that would control the Zones, and hunter of Artefacts within the Zones.  What kind of person would risk life and sanity for inexplicable trinkets?  Or maybe the Artefacts are not what you are along for, maybe you seek some other resolution within the Zones.  Though science can find no answers, that does not mean there are none to be found.

The first mission shall take place in the Japan Zone.  The team shall start in the borderland city of Sapporo.  The circle demarcates the absolute perimeter of the Zone, 72km in diameter, but the border region effectively encompasses the whole of Hokkaido, which has become once again a dark uninhabited island, except for the Chitose Airport-Sapporo corridor which maintains a thriving underworld in a place where the light of law shines very weakly.

This is a diceless RPG game.  The team's performace, nay, survival, shall be determined by the quality of its answers, discussion and preparation.  Before character creation, please claim a slot.  Before you claim a slot, please bear in mind:
  • You may die in the game.
  • You may be injured, and it shall be scientifically graphic.
  • The minimum time between updates shall be a week, this shall be a slow game.
  • If you skip a turn or leave either another player may take, or I shall puppet, your character.
  • No knowledge of the lore or book is necessary, anyone is welcome to play.

You can buy the PDF from here or a printed copy from here.  It won't be necessary for the players of the game, but it is recommended.  A great read!

Roll call:

ID      POSITION      NAME                  AGE      NATIONALITY      STATUS     
LordBucketMozgAlexei Konovalov28RussianFINE
hector13DriverCorban 'Wheels' Hodge26ScottishFINE
USEC_OFFICERDocMarcus Jekyll52CanadianBroken tooth
ZakoSaruKasumi 'Lynx' Himashi23JapaneseFINE
The13thRoninMuscleJack 'Apocalypse' Fitzpatrick30AustralianUnconscious
DaveTheGraveScoutTyler Stye19CanadianFINE

Stalker team positions:

ENGLISH      RUSSIAN      JAPANESE      DESCRIPTION     
MonkeyZmejaSaruAcrobat/athlete, may access hard to reach places.
MuscleRobotNikumanGunman, bodyguard, heavy.
DocKostolomSenseiTreats the injured.
ScoutNorkaSukautoSneak survivalist, finds safe routes.
ProfOtshkarikHakaseProvides Zone knowledge in the field.  Same service available in border area.
DriverVodilaDoraibaaDriver, handyman, thief.
ChefGrutzshikKokko-sanQuartermaster, mothers the team.
BossMozgKantokuPlanner, tactician, negotiator.

Turn list...

TURN 00      The Stalkers arrive in Japan
TURN 01      The doctor arrives
TURN 02      The mission is accepted
TURN 03      The shopping trip begins
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:43:49 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Stalker – Community RPG Game
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:00:13 pm »

Spoiler: Gameplay Tips (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:58:18 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker – Community RPG Game
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:54:30 pm »

ptw

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:23:55 pm »

Before character creation, please claim a slot.

Claiming a slot

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:01:40 pm »

PTW. I'd play, but I have never played any of the STALKER games. I should...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »

I'd be quite interested in this, though I just got married and I'm going on my honeymoon for about 8 days or so on 13th July. Will that be a problem?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:28 pm »

Not super interested in a Japanese STALKER type, but what the hell. I'm kind of confused how this will play out though without dice or the usual RPG setup. Will this basically be we suggest what we want to do, and you interpret it and basically do what you want? Also, what are supposed to base characters off of since there's no real S.T.A.L.K.E.R. lore regarding Japan?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:21:36 pm »

Claiming a slot

Roger!

PTW. I'd play, but I have never played any of the STALKER games. I should...

Neither have I, and I suspect nobody here has (played the book RPG), so don't worry.

I'd be quite interested in this, though I just got married and I'm going on my honeymoon for about 8 days or so on 13th July. Will that be a problem?

Congratulations!  It shouldn't be an issue.  It may take a week or two to setup, quite possibly.  Enjoy the honeymoon!

Not super interested in a Japanese STALKER type, but what the hell. I'm kind of confused how this will play out though without dice or the usual RPG setup. Will this basically be we suggest what we want to do, and you interpret it and basically do what you want? Also, what are supposed to base characters off of since there's no real S.T.A.L.K.E.R. lore regarding Japan?

I want to minimise the amount of playing I do, and maximise player-player interactions to solve obstacles in character.  The more the players discuss through their actions, the better their plan, the better the outcome.
Having the RPG book would help with character creation, PDF may be bought here or printed copy from here, but it is not necessary.  I shall post a couple of example characters and tell you how to allocate points.  It is not too hard, and pretty much anything is OK.  Your characters can come from any country and have any pre-stalker history you like.  You don't need to know anything about Japan or stalking or the Zones specifically as everyone shall, more or less, be a green stalker - though that doesn't mean you can't have experience/knowledge on the periphery of the business.

The character sheet is available here.  Don't worry about points yet, but you can begin to think about their past.  What is most important there is why your character has become a stalker
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:52:59 am by hermes »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:50:02 pm »

Oh, you're using THAT S.T.A.L.K.E.R. system. I'm not a particular big fan of it, so I'm going to have to pass.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:09:20 pm »

Posting to watch and definitively join.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 11:29:13 pm »

Hell, I'll join. Just to see what it's like.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 12:46:46 am »

I want in. Claiming a slot. This is my type of thing.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:48:31 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 11:48:20 pm »

Ok, thanks for posting those character sets for us. Here's my character:

Kasumi Himashi, Saru, 23 years old, Japanese

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 05:40:58 am »

Claim a slot but want to fix the Wapanese first.

Doctor I'd replace with Isha. Isha means expressly the medical doctor - Sensei means master which can be a lot of things.
Professor is more accurately Kyoujyu. Hakase means, not coincidentally, a Doctoral Degree Holder.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:19 am »

OK I've added Character creation info to the second post.  LordBucket has already sent me a complete character sheet, the deadline for submission we'll say is in one week, then it will start.

Claim a slot but want to fix the Wapanese first.

Doctor I'd replace with Isha. Isha means expressly the medical doctor - Sensei means master which can be a lot of things.
Professor is more accurately Kyoujyu. Hakase means, not coincidentally, a Doctoral Degree Holder.

My Japanese is not great at all... but I was going for natural names.  Kantoku is like a baseball team coach, Nikuman is a cheap joke based on Kinnikuman.  With Doctor, they are referred to, perhaps, in writing by Isha but almost exclusively when speaking to a doctor people will say Sensei.  With Professor, I'm not sure. I might change that one, so thanks for the tip :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:17:23 am by hermes »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14