Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: the Steam Trading Cards thread  (Read 12767 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:13:49 pm by Lectorog »

Jimbobq11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the Steam Trading Cards thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »

I have a bunch of games running right now so I can collect 'em all! (then sell them on the steam market)
Its not what your country can do for you, its what your country can steal from other countries! -Some dude

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:41 pm »

Give meh all yo' cards.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »

Give meh all yo' cards.
Give them to me. I will give you cards for your cards, so you can give more people cards!

Edit: To give me cards, or just friend me if that floats your boat, I go by My Username is Immaterial.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:33:54 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:48:45 pm »

Most of my cards are worth basically nothing, even in the micro-economy that the whole thing takes place in.
I think my most expensive cards are my CK2 ones, worth around 20 cents each.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:58:35 pm »

I have a bunch worth 20-30 cents. Plus a 70 cent card. I'm not doing anything with them until the market settles, its likely to go down a lot in price...but I'd rather wait no matter the outcome. Right now I have like 6-7 dollars worth of cards, which isn't that bad to be honest. I can get a game with that if it goes on sale, or pay a big chunk of a game off (again, if a game goes on sale). Not enough to pay full price or anything, but still decent.

All I do is play games, I don't sit on the menu or anything. Though I partly play said game for cards, but I have fun playing anyway...so meh. Its sorta like being paid to play games ;p Even if its a very low amount.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:02:56 pm »

Can I put them in my mouth?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:06:34 pm »

Can I put them in my mouth?
You have to print them off first, which isn't officially supported by Steam yet. Heard rumor that there'll be an update for that soon.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:59 pm »

Iv been in the late stages of the beta, and selling everyhing as soon as i get it iv made around 20-25 dolars, cards where worth around 0.5, then 0.3 and it seems the steam sale has left the prices between 0.2-0.1 for most of the games, still its free money so i cant complain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:01 pm »

Need: Prison Architect, Skyrim, Bioshock and Tomb Raider.

To trade: Football Manager, Kerbal Space Program.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:31 pm »

If you're lucky, you can find a foil card and those are worth a couple bucks. I've only found 2 foils out of 95 cards.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 09:06:40 pm »

Got a foil a while ago, and dropped a buck and a half out of money I gotten from cards I had previously sold for the same foil significantly under market price. Might end having to not gain as much as I had hoped on them, but still, I didn't actually spent my money on it anyway, just a bit of opportunity cost. I should be able to at least regain the costs anyway. :p

Basically, selling a bunch of cards (and a few TF2 items I had), I managed to get a bit over 5 USD.

On another note, I think I'll hold my sale cards until a week or two after the sale. Fresh enough that people might still be looking to get the badge, but old enough so the prices goes up a bit. Maybe a staggered release to minimize risks a bit. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:21:49 pm »

Buy low sell high. Trading cards increase in value after they're no longer available. The massive amounts of cards makes Steam an interesting market. The best strategy to earn money is probably to hoard cheap cards during the summer sale and sell them a month or a year from now.

All things considered, you should probably craft all your game badges and none of the event badges. Game cards are always available, meaning they'll never go up in value; but crafting badges potentially nets you rare items. Those rare items will never be widespread on the market, so they can make some neat cash.

People will always be looking to complete their collections. The only thing stopping you will be reasonably-priced copies of your item on the market.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 09:26:27 pm »

Buy low sell high. Trading cards increase in value after they're no longer available. The massive amounts of cards makes Steam an interesting market. The best strategy to earn money is probably to hoard cheap cards during the summer sale and sell them a month or a year from now.

All things considered, you should probably craft all your game badges and none of the event badges. Game cards are always available, meaning they'll never go up in value; but crafting badges potentially nets you rare items. Those rare items will never be widespread on the market, so they can make some neat cash.

People will always be looking to complete their collections. The only thing stopping you will be reasonably-priced copies of your item on the market.
After a while, people might lose hope of completing a certain badge, so they might simply give up looking for a certain card, so holding up a sale's card for too long might not be a good idea.

For game cards, it only makes sense for you to craft the badge if you value the cosmetic award (or if your level is less than 10 and you want the chance to get foils, but there are other ways to gain levels). It's also probably not a good idea to sell them immediately during or after sales, when a lot of people might have gotten and played the game, getting and selling more cards.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »

Does anybody have the Saints Row "Walking Apocalypse" card?  I'd be willing to give you Johnny Gat or Oleg Kirrlov for it.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8