Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together v 2 (6/6) COMPLETE  (Read 6091 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't post in this thread if you aren't a player. Post in the OOC

OOC thread

This is for the waitlisters in Microscope RPG. This uses the same mechanics, the same limit of people (so if you weren't on the waitlist, please don't start giving ideas and leading this to train wreck. The main reason is that when too many people are put together it is inevitable that some ideas become contradictory. So please, if you want to play, open a new thread just like we are doing. This way we might end with some cool multiverse instead of a messed up world.

As an additional rule, when 2 different people give 2 ideas that are completely opposite to each other, the decision will be made by voting. And all discussion must be kept as short as possible, so we can avoid derailing. I've kept the original Palette choices because they sounded interesting. If those playing don't want them, please, just let me know. This post will be updated with the palettes.

If you are not a player, but want to say something, I'm opening an OOC thread (not exactly OOC, as there are no characters, but still).

Players (this is the orginal waitlisters from the original thread, if you prefer not to be added, just let me know.):
Rhyme
Digital Hellhound
Child of Armok
Kashyyk
GreatWyrmGold
Iituem

HISTORY OF
[INSERT WORLD NAME HERE]
A Microscope Game

Microscope is a game about worldbuilding. Not in the literal sense, as the players do not take the roles of gods or anything like that; rather, the players work to create a rich and detailed history of the world, building off of ideas and concepts introduced (and/or modified) by the other players. It is, essentially, an exercise in creative writing and roleplaying.

Microscope describes itself as a "fractal game." That is because the game works by adjusting the focus in and out as the players see fit. The game starts with the beginning and ending of the history already known; the bits in between are filled by establishing new facts about the world that do not contradict existing facts, and then exploring the implications and consequences of those facts. Essentially, the game is one long answer to the question of "What is this world?"

Everyone is equal as far as creative authority goes; there are very few rules about what you can and can't write, but everyone is an equal participant, and nobody has any precedence when it comes to any particular aspect of the game. Nobody owns anything. A character, a god, a city, a secret society; they are all tools to be used by every player, regardless of who introduced them to the game. Technically speaking, there isn't even a GM; I'll be something like First among Equals since I'm the one who owns a copy of the rules (and I'm the guy who'll perform general thread maintenance,) but when it comes to actually playing the game I have no more or less power than anyone else.

Spoiler: How the game is played (click to show/hide)

So let's play a new game! Since I'm the one introducing the game, I'm gonna be a jerk and unilaterally decide the first two steps of starting a new game. The first step is to come up with a simple overview of the history we're going to create, a single sentence that encompasses all of creation. The Big Picture.

The gods create a new world protected from the ravages of Primordial Chaos

The second step is to create Bookends; the very first Period in the game, and the very last Period. The beginning and the ending of the story. All other Periods will occur somewhere between these two Periods. For organizational purposes, I'll be putting one dash before Periods, two dashes before Events, and three before Scenes. I'll also be bolding the titles of new Periods and Events, to make them easy to pick out. As the timeline gets filled out, the Periods and Events that are well defined can be shortened to just their title.

-Creation  The gods separate themselves from the rest of the universe, creating their own world.
-Twilight of the Gods  The gods fade away, their energies diffused into their own Creation.

There! Now we have an idea of how everything starts, and how it will all end. The specifics, and everything in between, are yet to be created!

The next step is to create a Palette. A Palette is a collection of things that every player agrees to abide by in the course of the game. Essentially, it's a list of things exceptions; things we definitely want in the game that wouldn't necessarily be expected of the setting (if we really want Steampunk to be a thing in this world, for example,) or things we definitely don't want in the game that you think other players might want (if you really don't want gunpowder technology, for example.) Note that if you want something in the game, and everyone is alright with it, it still doesn't exist in game until a Period, Event, or Scene occurs that describes it. If the Steampunk example passed, for example, there would still need to be an Event to mark the beginning of those shenanigans.

This game will hold no more than six players at a time. Or, in other words, I'm looking for up to five more players to join me. There will be a waitlist in case a player drops out before the other players are done with the game. If you're interested in playing, just make a post saying so along with any Palette choices you'd like to make. Feel free to debate or negotiate with other players' Palettes; we can't start until everyone is happy with everything that will be going into the game.

For my own Palette choices...

Magic should be powerful, but rare. Magic should be a big deal, and I'd rather not have a world like Harry Potter, Xanth, or 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons where everyone and their uncle uses magic to clean their unmentionables and slay their orcs. More Sword, less Sorcery, such that in a big battle each side might field tens of thousands of soldiers, but only half a dozen magic users, if that. Of course, those half dozen mages will be doing crazy things like generating tornadoes or earthquakes or whatever; they're not irrelevant, just not numerous.

No alien races. By that, I mean I'd rather not stray too far from the "regular" cast of fantasy races. Cosmetic changes and unique spins on the elves or dwarves is fine (and quite welcome!) as is inclusion of some of the less common races like kitsunes or gnolls or whatever, but I don't want to have crazy unique Mary Sue races in the game. No psionic starfish people with invisibility abilities, or stuff like that. If they're hard to relate to, they're not appropriate for this game IMO. Cool monsters, yes, whole civilizations of them, no.

Current Palette:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Timeline:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:34:41 am by Rhyme »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together v 2 (5/6)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:01:20 pm »

Magic only exists in Gifts (and a few rare creatures)
Some people (known as the Gifted) have magical Gifts from birth. Gifts are signified by various odd physical features, commonly oddly-colored hair, skin, or eyes. Gifts range from being able to change into a cat, to being unaffected by fire, to talking with fish, to unknown numbers of gifts. No two Gifts are quite alike. Gifts are possessed by all known races and many species of animals.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »

>Join Thread

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:03:14 pm »

Magic only exists in Gifts (and a few rare creatures)
Some people (known as the Gifted) have magical Gifts from birth. Gifts are signified by various odd physical features, commonly oddly-colored hair, skin, or eyes. Gifts range from being able to change into a cat, to being unaffected by fire, to talking with fish, to unknown numbers of gifts. No two Gifts are quite alike. Gifts are possessed by all known races and many species of animals.
I'm ok with this. In fact I like it.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:04:23 pm »

Posting to Watch- I won't take hog a player slot in this one too, though I'll mention I didn't transcribe the entire rulebook, just the important bits. If there's something that seems wrong, go ahead and ask me.

Note that you don't have to use the same Big Picture and Bookends that I started the other thread with; I just did it that way to streamline the start of the first game. You can work out your own ideas if you'd like. The full steps to starting the game are 1) Big Picture, 2) Bookend Periods, 3) Set Palette, and 4) First Pass (where every player adds 1 Period or Event to flesh out the timeline a bit before regular play begins.)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:05:38 pm »

Posting to Watch- I won't take hog a player slot in this one too, though I'll mention I didn't transcribe the entire rulebook, just the important bits. If there's something that seems wrong, go ahead and ask me.

Note that you don't have to use the same Big Picture and Bookends that I started the other thread with; I just did it that way to streamline the start of the first game. You can work out your own ideas if you'd like. The full steps to starting the game are 1) Big Picture, 2) Bookend Periods, 3) Set Palette, and 4) First Pass (where every player adds 1 Period or Event to flesh out the timeline a bit before regular play begins.)
I liked the ideas, so if no one opposes. Besides, it will end very different probably.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 01:07:04 pm »

I'd suggest removing the two first Palette choices as we should decide on all of them by the normal process. Also, we shouldn't spend too much time on Palette - otherwise we'll never get to the actual game. Iituem also joined the waitlist, so you might wanna add him (before Remuthra, I'm afraid).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together v 2 (6/6) COMPLETE
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:09:23 pm »

Then I shall take Remuthra out, as he joined here (sorry). However I really wanted the whole low magic fantasy world thing, and I suggest it myself.

EDIT: My ideas
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:13:34 pm by Rhyme »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 01:21:47 pm »

Palette suggestions:

Full races should be humanoid.  Possible Exception: Dragons.

No techstag, but Dark Ages and regression well allowed.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 01:23:34 pm »

Shall we begin worrying about races?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:24 pm »

Palette suggestions:

I like this. And it kinda makes sense, as natural disasters and not-so-natural disasters can cause regression. And the humanoid thing helps a lot.

And guys, if you start liking the suggestions of the others, say so, so that I may add them to the palette.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:12 pm »

Palette suggestions:

No problems here.
Sig

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:43 pm »

+1 to Gifted magic, scarce magic beasts, scarce magic users.
+1 to Major races not too alien, alien uniques and monsters permitted.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »

I have no objection to any ideas so far, which I guess counts as support! In any case; there doesn't seem to be anything stopping people from describing Periods thousands of years apart. Obviously it would be the same world, but this could allow people to create medieval-ish fantasy and 'modern' times (or medieval and pre-historic, etc.) things at the same time if the Focus is broad enough. Just... putting that out there, I guess. I think it's pretty cool, but could prove confusing if people take (mostly) unrelated, time-separated things.

Obviously a Focus like a specific Period or a person would be more... well, focused, than a concept, like 'Betrayal' or 'Decline'.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 01:30:52 pm »

I think we should start by doing a few events or periods that go more or less in chronological order to give us a base, and then continue with broader focus. Like doing Dawn of the world->First civs->History keeps on
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5