Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I created a permanent source of fire... now what?  (Read 6995 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
So I created a permanent source of fire... now what?
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »

Looking for interesting and/or fun!! ideas to do with my permanent fire.

So far I've tried out:
- Booze grenades, too random to be effective
- Smoke generator, Semi interesting defense.. well more of a deterrant really.
- Goblin Cooker, somehow it's more satisfying to watch them burn rather than melt in magma for a change
- Item incinerator, you can use this to burn up things like old socks and cruddy wooden elf items

To make your very own permanent fire do the following (4/5 / 80% success rate for me so far):
- Capture a plump helmet man in an magma proof cage
- Build the cage at your chosen location
- Drop magma onto the tile they are on (You can use a minecart quite easily to achieve this)
- Enjoy them burning forever without respite or death in your cage.
WARNING: Cage cannot be moved once activated. Perhaps when the plump helmet man dies of old age?

-

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I created a permanent source of fire... now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 05:35:56 pm »

See if you can find a way to reliably melt the fat off your dwarves. Supposedly it makes them pain-resistant and virtually fireproof.

Also, you can use flammable artifacts to create permanent fire. As amusing as the idea of burning a plump helmet man for years on end is, crappy wooden artifacts are way more common.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 05:50:12 pm »

I like the wiki's "Vortex of Death" style trap (my name for it) where an unextinguishable fire is placed in a flooding chamber.  It evaporates water that reaches it, causing water to flow ever towards the flame.  This should push objects and creatures along, until they hit the center and burn to death/burn away if able.  If it still works, it seems like a great black hole of destruction for flammable trash and invaders alike.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: where you can burn to death in a drowning chamber.

Unfortunately, there aren't many productive applications for fire in fort mode yet, hopefully in some future release we'll be able to use fire more easily.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »

Steam power generator: water flows under water wheels, and then falls into a pit where it is boiled away by the flame. This prevents the pit from filling, driving the water current.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:26:37 am »

Unfortunately, there aren't many productive applications for fire in fort mode yet, hopefully in some future release we'll be able to use fire more easily.

I'm sure that with the next update the combination of multi-tiled trees and fire will be an excellent way to purge the above-ground of invaders. If they don't get burned alive something's bound to fall on them and kill them.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 04:06:29 am »

- Booze grenades, too random to be effective

Please, tell me more about this.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 11:33:10 am »

In my experience, booze + fire = painless cloud of booze. You would think it might hurt, but its just booze steam, the booze isn't igniting, its the wooden barrel. In fact, if you use rock pots it doesn't even work. Booze removed from barrels or pots isn't flammable, although that could be because of it being treated as a contaminant.

And no, no happy thoughts from clouds of booze, at least not that I know of (its steam, not mist).

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 03:24:31 pm »

In my experience, booze + fire = painless cloud of booze. You would think it might hurt, but its just booze steam, the booze isn't igniting, its the wooden barrel. In fact, if you use rock pots it doesn't even work. Booze removed from barrels or pots isn't flammable, although that could be because of it being treated as a contaminant.

And no, no happy thoughts from clouds of booze, at least not that I know of (its steam, not mist).
actually the booze ignites and disappears first and then the barrel goes... or at least that is how it appears to be happening for me.

I was dropping barrels down a pit onto invaders and then dropping the whole lot into my fire, however the booze wasn't doing anything useful :( I was hoping for some explosions.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 07:16:21 pm »

You've created infinite fire? Cool. As for what to do with it: kill elves, drain the ocean, kill elves, make adventure mode interesting, kill elves, !!SCIENCE!!, and kill elves.

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 12:59:02 am »

Infinity raises an interesting point. Is there any way to get this into the hands of an adventurer? Or would the fire go out upon abandoning the fort?
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 12:42:49 pm »

You've created infinite fire? Cool. As for what to do with it: kill elves, drain the ocean, kill elves, make adventure mode interesting, kill elves, !!SCIENCE!!, and kill elves.
Catch a necromancer, resurrect elves, kill elves, resurrect elves and make them attack elven caravan that just have arrived to trade.
And kill all those elves again.
Yes.
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »

For extra bonus points, do the last thing, but make one of the walls windows or glass blocks.
Is the glass wall transparent?
Finis sanctificat media.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 11:03:05 pm »

For extra bonus points, do the last thing, but make one of the walls windows or glass blocks.
Is the glass wall transparent?

I suppose? I mean, it's made of glass.

In-game, walls constructed from glass blocks are opaque -- or at least obscure -- and dwarves can't see through them. But who cares what they think? Make it out of glass blocks if you want to, it's less trouble than windows.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 11:14:48 pm »

I thought they're like these
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: [1] 2