Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48

Author Topic: BYOR 12 - Game Over: And That's Why They Call Them Mafia  (Read 107453 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2013, 08:49:53 pm »

Shakerag

birdy51:
Shakerag - What do you think creates a dangerous scumteam?
Underpowered town, overpowered scum, and/or lack of participation from town.
Was there supposed to be something here?

Deathsword

Deathsword - You are an unclaimed Doctor on a Night of MYLO. There are two players left in the game, both of whom claimed Cop.  One player has been reasonably seedy throughout the game, while the other has been very earnestly scumhunting throughout the match. One of them is scum. Who are you more likely to be suspicious of?
I'd be more suspicious of the "seedy" player, since, after all, they have been acting shady.

What stops a righteous individual from being scum as well? The people who are scum very well could be the people you last suspect.

If a person has been acting scummy, and another has not, then the scummy one is clearly the best lynch target. If someone is acting as town, and another is not, it's more likely that the un-townly one is, indeed, not town.

NQT

Birdy
Honestly I don't know. I really have a good feeling about Toaster being town.
Even before he's posted in this game?

Preemptive intuition. Something tells me that Toaster is going to do something interesting in this game. What that might be, I have absolutely no clue.
Right. Look, are you in a team with Toaster or trying to make him look bad if you flip scum? Either way, the above statement is quite wierd and not entirly unsuspicious.

Cheeetar - Are you satisfied with your role?
I love the smell of rolefishing in the morning. Why did you ask this?
To the second, why are you so concerned about that question in particular? Are you really worried that I might be role fishing, or are you simply looking for a prospective target?
This has already been mentioned by cheetar, but nice deflect bro.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:31 pm »

Birdy:
To the second, why are you so concerned about that question in particular? Are you really worried that I might be role fishing, or are you simply looking for a prospective target?
Mostly the latter, actually. I prefer pressuring people on valid points to randomly voting and asking hypotheticals. Why am I suspicious for voting you on a scumtell instead of random-voting?

Toaster:
How valid of a tell do you think rolefishing is?
Not too valid, particularly this case, which is mild. Like I said, that vote on Birdy wasn't so much suspicion about his rolefishing as wanting an alternative to randomvoting.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »

Cheeetar:

It's probably best if you answer the question proposed to you before you ask questions of Wet Sheep. You're deflecting a bit there.

I am fully aware of what I am doing.

But there are times when answering a question can wait, especially when I question the validity of why he is concerned with my "role fishing" as he calls it. If he can justify his question well enough, then I will have no issue in giving him a proper reply.

Also... Since I am posting, I apologize for that quote mess. A non marred version can be found below in this spoiler:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toaster:

Birdy:  Do you think OMGUS is a valid tell?

It's hard to say. Traditionally, OMGUS is a tell, but nowadays it's very much a meta-tell. People know so much about it, that they could honestly be standing on either side of the scum/townie spectrum and get away with it. 

For instance, I accept that I am committing OMGUS on TheWetSheep because his question and his vote just doesn't feel right. If he isn't going to be around much due to being busy, why would he go through the process of throwing a vote onto me? It feels mechanical and it makes me wary. So this a scumtell? That is for you all to decide.

To turn the tables though, I noticed you asked a similar question to TheWetSheep, regarding his suspicions against me. Why is that?

Deathsword:

Shakerag

birdy51:
Shakerag - What do you think creates a dangerous scumteam?
Underpowered town, overpowered scum, and/or lack of participation from town.

If a person has been acting scummy, and another has not, then the scummy one is clearly the best lynch target. If someone is acting as town, and another is not, it's more likely that the un-townly one is, indeed, not town.

This has already been mentioned by cheetar, but nice deflect bro.

Right. Look, are you in a team with Toaster or trying to make him look bad if you flip scum? Either way, the above statement is quite wierd and not entirly unsuspicious.

Shakerag was an accident. His answer left a minimal impression on me. Given all the other excitement, I chose to let that particular question fall to the wayside.

I'm afraid I'm going to have respond you like this due to quote madness.

To the first, I tried to look for something on the Mafia Scum wiki, but I have ultimately failed. I've read it some where on that sight where it actually recommended considering lynching the Towniest player at LYLO. But instead of flashing that particular page heroically I shall have to make due with not being able to find it.

To the second, yes it was a deflection. I'm glad that you know what that is.

Finally, no. I am in no way shape or form in cahoots with Toaster, unless we both happen to be Townies. To be perfectly honest, the biggest reason I picked him because it was late at night and I couldn't think of another person. It's a bit entertaining how it's become a bit of a talking point though.

TheWetSheep:

Birdy:
Mostly the latter, actually. I prefer pressuring people on valid points to randomly voting and asking hypotheticals. Why am I suspicious for voting you on a scumtell instead of random-voting?

Toaster:
How valid of a tell do you think rolefishing is?
Not too valid, particularly this case, which is mild. Like I said, that vote on Birdy wasn't so much suspicion about his rolefishing as wanting an alternative to randomvoting.

Ergh… I am running out typing time for tonight, so I will first go ahead and answer your question since you have answered mine. Tit for tat.

I asked Cheeetar what he thought of his role out of curiosity and the fact that I was running out of RVS questions.

Now, as for you and why I dislike your vote. I can understand wanting to get out RVS, but I can hardly see how my post was role fishing.  Given that I had innocent intentions when I wrote the question, it causes me to ponder what in particular made that one post stand out to you.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2013, 10:51:39 pm »

Oh come on- Liar's Dice voting would have been an incredible social experiment.  Hell to play, sure, but very interesting to look back on.
I think it'd end up with a lot of grumpy people, personally. A game like that might (might) be interesting to watch, but I doubt anyone wants it just sprung on them out of nowhere.

What kind of RVS questions do you expect to have a useful answer?
Game mechanics questions for newer people: you've got to get some sort of an idea of how they play the game, how experienced they are. For older hands, you've just got to pick at them with some little thing, see what sort of response you get. That's how I do it, anyway.

#1 Preferred Townie, far and away, would be Tir.
<3 Thanks :)
She can put up a lot of text, and being able to go through it without trying to reason out every angle on every point would save me so much time and be a big help.
...Wait, I think that was a bad thing..erm, sorry for that. D:
It's not bad, per se, you just put up a lot of content!

Anywhoo, Hapah: A BYOR is different from a normal game, that can be said. How would you judge the general night action? Restating: Would things which would be considered exacts in other games (ie Protect > Signifies the person acting on such is most probably non-scum, or scum protecting another scum) be the same for you here, emphasizing on how they relate in guessing the person's alignment? How do you find BYOR's in general compared to a normal game?
In my opnion, the roles that conform to archtypes tend to be the expected alignments (Doctors are Town, etc.). They just tend to be a lot more powerful: seems like most people end up with 3 abilities or so instead of just the 1 in a normal Mafia game. And then some roles just break the mold, but you can't really categorize them.

...Why NQT and Toaster for the next two?
Toaster because he's a cool dude (that's it, really). NQT because he has that same sort of analytical clockwork thought process that I do, and even if we don't come to same conclusion sometimes it's still interesting to read (and it'd keep me from taking him to task and fact-checking all the points if I knew he was town).

Quote from: Imp
Hapah:  Which would you enjoy playing more, the role of a guardian angel or the role of a brother?  Would your answer change if you got to pick who your role was connected to?
I'm not familiar with those roles. What do they do? Is Brother the one that knows their sibling's alignment?

Quote from: NQT
Hapah— do you think it's important to talk to everyone on Day 1?
Not particularly, no, as long as you're making progress. If you're questioning one person and it looks like they're getting a little jumpy, why move on?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2013, 11:11:09 pm »

Oh, I won't be about tomorrow.  Out of town and all that.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2013, 01:14:56 am »

TolyK has yet to post and respond to the questions asked of him, despite having been online on the forums.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2013, 01:38:09 am »

Woah.

First thoughts: Why Do People Think I'm Good At This Game?!

Alright, from the top. Morning post, so this is a quicky, and I won't ask any real questions yet, since I have circa 20 minutes.

TolyK - I have not seen you around much, but as I understand it you are a bit of a veteran. How do you define your own gameplay?
Well, it's unusual, since I don't like asking many questions, I don't like voting for people unless I'm pretty sure they're scum, and I try to pull shenanigans in role-heavy games that sometimes work. And I like to joke around sometimes. TLDR: pretty bad XD

@Everyone: Which three players would you most like to be confirmed town and which player would you think is most devestating as scum?
Most devastating scum: Toaster, or possibly Tiruin.
Confirmed town wanted: Me, Tiruin (like to be on the same team as him >.>), Toaster (since he's smooth both ways)

TolyK: would you have felt disappointed if your role was assigned a jester's wincon?
No. On the contrary - that would've been pretty epic. At the very least, I'd likely win. :D

TolyK— you've played a lot of role heavy games right? Are there any really common things we should be looking out for?
Well, considering it's a WUBA game, there's likely "another" SK, since he modkilled one instantly, or a cult.
Common things? Don't say everything you know instantly, and always always always check facts with your facts.
And there's always gonna be this crazy jig that ruins a lot of stuff in BYOR's. See: BYO Cards, where my Auto ability gave me a day to myself.

TolyK: What do you make of there being little voting so far in the Random Voting Stage of this game?
I think it's fine, considering quite a few players are of the newer variety. It also seems like I missed the whole RVS, so voting will probably be sorta low all game.

TolyK has yet to post and respond to the questions asked of him, despite having been online on the forums.
Wait, when was I online? AFAIK, this is my first time online after the roles were sent out.

Birdy, Imp and Iqovian: If you were all one scum team and the one to the left of you (for Birdy this is Iqo) had a claim that was about to get proven wrong, what would you do?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2013, 02:16:05 am »

Wait, when was I online? AFAIK, this is my first time online after the roles were sent out.

I checked to see who hadn't been posting so much, noticed you hadn't posted, and when I checked your profile it said you were online.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2013, 03:59:28 am »

Toaster:

@Everyone: Which three players would you most like to be confirmed town and which player would you think is most devestating as scum?
Assuming I can't pick myself, I'd go with one solid playmaker and two people I can't read.  NQT might be interesting in the former position- he's willing to do the analytical work.  For the latter, uh... someone I've never played with and can't read like The_Iqovian and then perhaps Tiruin.
Explain what you mean by NQT being a solid playmaker?

Shakerag:  Did you submit a role that is going to fundamentally alter the game for everyone, much like you always try to do?  (You don't have to actually answer that.)
This seems to be a bit of an unusual question.  Would you explain why you asked with that disclaimer, was it intended to warn the rest of us or did you have another purpose?

Birdy:

Lurkers bother me, because I tend to be lurker on occasion myself. It's not something I usually mean to do. I simply get caught up in something or another and I have to take a break.

This makes me wary with dealing with them, mostly because I am largely sympathetic with their plight. Mafia can be very time consuming. Then, attacking a faceless target seems redundant to me. So, as to a strategy to dealing with them, I try to be accommodating. If they need an extension, I am normally willing to give it. If they absolutely will not post, let them either be replaced or have the Mod Kill them. At the end of the day, I would rather work with who is still in the game.
Will Mods usually replace or Mod Kill lurkers?  How long of a lurk is generally acceptable before either happens, assuming the lurker didn't ask for a replacement?

What is your stance, and what are your strategies, when dealing with active lurkers?

notquitethere:

Imp
notquitethere: could a picture of your role be accurately described using less than 1000 words?
Possibly. It depends on what the criteria are for 'accurately described'.

If initial D1 questions have any use beyond just starting a conversation, it's to get a feel for player's style and set up verbal traps that you can catch them out on later (when they behave contrary to the way that they stated). Your question is cute but what does it achieve?
So far it's gained your answer and reaction.  When I asked it, I'd considered your name, wondered what a picture of your name would look like, and thought 'A picture's worth a thousand words'.

When you asked Nerjin what his answer to his opening Everyone: question was, had you noticed that I'd asked him the same thing?

TolyK:

Birdy, Imp and Iqovian: If you were all one scum team and the one to the left of you (for Birdy this is Iqo) had a claim that was about to get proven wrong, what would you do?
I'd need to know more details to give you any real answer.  How do I know his counterclaim is about to be proven wrong?  what's the state of the game; how is each player interacting with the others, especially in terms of scumpicks or outward cooperation with each other?  In general though, I'd be working to achieve my wincon, and I'd do so in the most effective way I could find based on everything I knew and could understand about the circumstances of the game.

TolyK: would you have felt disappointed if your role was assigned a jester's wincon?
No. On the contrary - that would've been pretty epic. At the very least, I'd likely win. :D
What would your main 'lynch me' strategy be?  You seem happy about this idea, if it were your actual role do you think you'd try to conceal your enjoyment of how the game was going?

Cheeetar:

We're here to do a job.  I don't hear much about passivity finding Scum.  Could you offer some links to help me find where passive play has been used effectively to assist and ensure Town wins?
I think it's more that being too aggressive, or tunnel visioning on the wrong person, might lead to a townie lynched.
No links, then.  Is that because you're not aware of passive play having helped a Town win?

Does reactive play, rather than active play, help avoid lynching the wrong people?  If so, how?

Hapah:

Hapah:  Which would you enjoy playing more, the role of a guardian angel or the role of a brother?  Would your answer change if you got to pick who your role was connected to?
I'm not familiar with those roles. What do they do? Is Brother the one that knows their sibling's alignment?
I'm not sure that either usually knows their target's alignment; definitely they sometimes do not.  For the purpose of answering these questions, assume neither brother nor guardian angel would know their target's alignment.

Here's a brother wincon:
Alignment: Brother
Wincon: You win when [player_name] wins.

Here's a guardian angel wincon (note I modified the quote to remove game specific information)
You are a Guardian Angel, sent to earth to protect [player_name]. Your one and only goal is to ensure that he lives to see the end of this nightmare. The heavens have plans for him in the future.

Deathsword:
Deathsword: Pretend your only night-useable ability allowed you to choose to either block someone (both from receiving or taking actions) or to redirect someone (again, that redirection applies both to actions targeting that player, and to actions that player tries to make).  Which would you probably use more often, and why?
Redirect. I really like redirects and it can, if used right or with enough luck, destroy the plans of scum or third party.
What do you look for when deciding where to place a redirect?

The_Iqovian:
The_Iqovian:  Ignoring the lurker versions, which role(s) have you least enjoyed playing against?
I once played with a ventriloquist in the game. Really, really annoying.
With what you know of forum Mafia, could someone use a ventriloquist's role powers in this style of the game?  If so, would you explain how those would work?

If not, would you answer the question again considering only roles that you believe could be played in a forum-based Mafia game?

Shakerag:
Nerjin:
birdy51, The_Iqovian, and Imp for the first and Toaster for the second.
What reasons for those selections?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2013, 04:10:11 am »

Cheeetar:

We're here to do a job.  I don't hear much about passivity finding Scum.  Could you offer some links to help me find where passive play has been used effectively to assist and ensure Town wins?
I think it's more that being too aggressive, or tunnel visioning on the wrong person, might lead to a townie lynched.
No links, then.  Is that because you're not aware of passive play having helped a Town win?

Does reactive play, rather than active play, help avoid lynching the wrong people?  If so, how?

I wouldn't be able to link you to a specific play, no- I'd probably have trouble linking you to an aggressive play that helped town win as well, without going back and reading through games I've played. I'd say, yes, reactive play does help avoid lynching the wrong people. The good guys tend to be reactive- police wait for people to commit crimes before arresting them, and so on. Aggressively questioning people can make them implicate themselves, but so can analysing the posts they make, and even townies can say stupid things that seems suspicious if they feel under pressure.
I've played some mafia.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2013, 05:04:04 am »

Deathsword
In any situation, it depends a lot. It can be quite effective to remove scum near the end of the game, but it also tells scum just who is the most dangerous player, power-wise. So, to answer you question, they are neither pro-town or pro-scum, but instead can benefit both. An early massclaim would probably benefit town less than a late-game one.
Yeah that seems reasonable. I'll be sure to refer back to this response if a massclaim is suggested in days to come.

The Cheeetar
If I wasn't planning on actively pursuing scum then I'd be a very poor townie. I'll keep my eyes peeled for when somebody does something I think is scummy, and jump on it.
Uh huh, I'm not quite sure how merely keeping your eyes peeled counts as actively pursuing. Now in Scum Hunting the Cheeetar Way what would be a prime example of something scummy?

The Iqovian
Well there's no one to shift any of the large amounts of blame I'm sure to accrue onto yet, and I can't read any of you. So there isn't that much to say, yet.
So your way of forming reads in the face of low-content is to... sit back and answer the handful of questions people pose?

Shakerag
Honestly?  I don't really know of a better way than how we're doing it already.  I know this topic has come up before, but I don't remember any particularly good conclusions coming from it.
Yeah, I think in other forums they just start with a bunch of random votes before settling on whoever overreacted, bandwagoned or lurked the most in the RVS and that strikes me as even less helpful. Ideally, I'd like a N0 and so investigators/trackers etc. could have something to work on straight from the off.

Sheep
NQT:
Sheep— how would you play the game if you were a Survivor?
I would try as hard as possible to be mediocre and not stand out.
So I can understand from this that if you play mediocre and don't stand out in this game then you're implicitly claiming survivor? Or is that how you play scum as well?

Toaster
Nope.  I don't expect anyone who asks such broad-spectrum questions to do much following up at all.  This applies to individual questions to everyone like you did as well.  Aren't you doing that just to defeat your own tell?
I follow up on my questions, and I don't see how I could 'defeat' my own tell as if I tried to attack everyone for bogus reasons it'd be pretty obvious. Or were you referring to the post-count thing? Do you have a problem with engaging everyone in conversation? I know there are only so many hours in the day...

Hapah
Quote from: NQT
Hapah— do you think it's important to talk to everyone on Day 1?
Not particularly, no, as long as you're making progress. If you're questioning one person and it looks like they're getting a little jumpy, why move on?
Uh— there's 12 other players. There's probably, what, three scum? So if you're not scum (an open question at this stage) then you've got only a 1/4 chance of catching scum in the first random person you start querying. I think you should definitely press people that are jumpy but you can press more than one person at a time.

TolyK
Well, considering it's a WUBA game, there's likely "another" SK, since he modkilled one instantly, or a cult.
Common things? Don't say everything you know instantly, and always always always check facts with your facts.
And there's always gonna be this crazy jig that ruins a lot of stuff in BYOR's. See: BYO Cards, where my Auto ability gave me a day to myself.
Good advice. I asked Deathsword this, but I think it'd be handy to get some varying perspectives. Do you think late game mass claims ever help town win?

Imp
So far it's gained your answer and reaction.  When I asked it, I'd considered your name, wondered what a picture of your name would look like, and thought 'A picture's worth a thousand words'.
I suppose the reaction told you something. My avatar is a fair representation of my username, but it doesn't have anything to do with my role.

When you asked Nerjin what his answer to his opening Everyone: question was, had you noticed that I'd asked him the same thing?
No I'd not spotted that: I do try to read everyone's posts but it's still possible to overlook some things. What do you think of big broad questions like what Nerjin asked?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2013, 05:36:55 am »

The Cheeetar
If I wasn't planning on actively pursuing scum then I'd be a very poor townie. I'll keep my eyes peeled for when somebody does something I think is scummy, and jump on it.
Uh huh, I'm not quite sure how merely keeping your eyes peeled counts as actively pursuing. Now in Scum Hunting the Cheeetar Way what would be a prime example of something scummy?

Standard tells I suppose. Rolefishing, inconsistent arguments, defending scummy players, attacking and voting for players for no reason (excepting day 1 stuff designed to draw a reaction).

Is there a particular reason I'm 'The' Cheeetar, or did it just sound cooler?
I've played some mafia.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2013, 06:04:11 am »

Cheeetar
Standard tells I suppose. Rolefishing, inconsistent arguments, defending scummy players, attacking and voting for players for no reason (excepting day 1 stuff designed to draw a reaction).
I see, so when do you think the drawing-a-reaction phase ends?

I guess I was thinking of The Cheat.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2013, 06:29:48 am »

Cheeetar
I see, so when do you think the drawing-a-reaction phase ends?

I'd say when people start earnestly voting for people because they believe they've found a scum player.

I guess I was thinking of The Cheat.

Awesome.
I've played some mafia.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2013, 10:15:17 am »

I checked to see who hadn't been posting so much, noticed you hadn't posted, and when I checked your profile it said you were online.
Yeah, you posted just as I just got online, I guess.

TolyK:

I'd need to know more details to give you any real answer.  How do I know his counterclaim is about to be proven wrong?  what's the state of the game; how is each player interacting with the others, especially in terms of scumpicks or outward cooperation with each other?  In general though, I'd be working to achieve my wincon, and I'd do so in the most effective way I could find based on everything I knew and could understand about the circumstances of the game.
Makes sense. I'll get back to you when I hear the other answers.

What would your main 'lynch me' strategy be?  You seem happy about this idea, if it were your actual role do you think you'd try to conceal your enjoyment of how the game was going?
Of course, however I think my lynch-me strategy would be making subtle slips and freaking out when someone mentions them.

TolyK
Good advice. I asked Deathsword this, but I think it'd be handy to get some varying perspectives. Do you think late game mass claims ever help town win?
I think a massclaim should be around the third day. Late-game ones mask too much info.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48