Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Ascendancy- The second game in the Competition series  (Read 6472 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendancy- The second game in the Competition series
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 05:51:33 am »

Come on, group brofist for a job well done.

*puts in fist*

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 05:54:43 am »

*wishes was a part of it so could join in brofist*
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 06:02:39 am »

*brofist*
I actually started playing somewhat late, but still, I've read the entire thread.

That said, we still have a long way to go for a true victory.
First we need to build something so that we can sustain ourselves.

Then it's time for crazy stuff!

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 06:15:04 am »

Our thingy's head may be taller than our body, but don't worry! Our stomachs are totally in our heads!

EDIT: I have decided that, because of my absolute failure to draw sideways wings, I'll probably redraw it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:03:15 am by Eotyrannus »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:15 am »

On gender:
...Tentaclets follow their mother and are fed by them. They eat regurgitated food from the mother's guts, and when they are old enough, they leave.
There was also reference to a womb in the same section, so I think it is safe to assume 'yes'.

Six nightmace and an eagle-squid on hunting duty, the other eagle-squid can be a guard or something, since we don't have any sightmace to do that.
Begin digging hollows in the trees.
Web up some pastures, yo, as well as a fence between trees to protect us better.

I think we are carnivorous? Pretty sure we never evolved the ability to eat plant matter.

I'm not very creative, so no ideas here on a civilization name that isn't horri-bad.

+1. Also, have two nightmaces not hunting got to the edge of the clearing and collect as many stones, leaves, sticks, and vines as they can. Experiment with different ways of chipping the stone, different ways of attaching the stone to things, and figure out which are the best for holding things, which are the best for hurling things, which are the best for cutting wood, which are the best for catching things, etc.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:42:08 am by Urist Mc Dwarf »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 02:12:35 pm »

On gender:
...Tentaclets follow their mother and are fed by them. They eat regurgitated food from the mother's guts, and when they are old enough, they leave.
There was also reference to a womb in the same section, so I think it is safe to assume 'yes'.

Six nightmace and an eagle-squid on hunting duty, the other eagle-squid can be a guard or something, since we don't have any sightmace to do that.
Begin digging hollows in the trees.
Web up some pastures, yo, as well as a fence between trees to protect us better.

I think we are carnivorous? Pretty sure we never evolved the ability to eat plant matter.

I'm not very creative, so no ideas here on a civilization name that isn't horri-bad.

+1. Also, have two nightmaces not hunting got to the edge of the clearing and collect as many stones, leaves, sticks, and vines as they can. Experiment with different ways of chipping the stone, different ways of attaching the stone to things, and figure out which are the best for holding things, which are the best for hurling things, which are the best for cutting wood, which are the best for catching things, etc.

Also, designate the tallest tree as a "lookout tower" of sorts. Sure, we can fly, but it'd be nice to have a place from which we can see the faraway lands with little effort, energy-wise. (I guess that flying is pretty tiring)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 02:37:28 pm »

but it'd be nice to have a place from which we can see the faraway lands with little effort, energy-wise
Aren't we blind?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 02:40:12 pm »

but it'd be nice to have a place from which we can see the faraway lands with little effort, energy-wise
Aren't we blind?
We need a listenout tower.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 03:01:25 pm »

Aren't we blind?

Radio tower.
Well, we could designate an eagle-squid there, then, I guess.

Now that I think of it, we could hop into some rudimentary electricity stuff early, since we have some sort of an electric sense, don't we?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 11:10:19 pm »

The eagle squids are not under your control, but your six nightmaces go hunting anyway. Meanwhile, two more of your colony begin messing about with sticks and rocks nearby, and another four begin setting up webbing, while the rest dig nests in the hollow's trees.

Your hunting party comes back carrying a great furred beast known as a gyrdrake. The six legged creature boasts a thick hide and seems to be immune to pain, but your hunters evaded its large blunt claws and sharp grooved fangs and drove it to exhaustion with their spear wounds, whereupon they killed it and brought it back.

The team sent to discover new secrets, after performing some tests on the local materials, have discovered a way to use a sharp rock to cut the wood into different shapes. You have learned the secrets of wood carving!

Your building teams have had little success, however. They report that the bark of these trees is too hard to cut away, and their webs will not stick to it. It seems you may not be able to live here quite as your ancestors did in their home.

It seems your newly birthed colony has been experiencing hard times. Without nests, you cannot raise your young or store food. Without a nest to call home, the eagle squids fly off in search of their own lodgings and territory, their symbiotism breaking down without the nightmaces' shared nests.

The fourth day is a few hours from dawning on the new settlement of Bayata, and you are almost out of food. It may be a while before you can get a sustainable camp set up.

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

I'll just assume through your other senses you are able to detect these appearances.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:37 pm »

Build a wooden nest on the ground. Dig beneath the soil if necessary.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 11:15:42 pm »

Build a wooden nest on the ground. Dig beneath the soil if necessary.

This, also, sharpen the stones a bit more against eachother and try to use them to break through the bark
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 11:23:31 pm »

GO GET THE EAGLESQUID BACK NOW
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 11:35:36 pm »

GO GET THE EAGLESQUID BACK NOW

This and make A nest.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 02:59:49 am »

Aren't we blind?
made my day.

On that topic, I tried to imagine how the Nightmaces perceive their environment. As in, how do it looks like to them. First "layer" is echolocation. Everything would appear in shades of grey, varying with the distance and maybe the material. Second layer is the electrosense. Living beings (and electronic equipment) appear as pulses of "blue" (arbitrary color affectation for explanation purposes only), or more accurately a layer of pulsating electric energy, showing the working muscles, the nerves, the beating heart, and event the brain activity, is overlayed with the echo of the being. The radio sense show next to nothing on the ground, but when you look up...
The sky as seen by the Nightmaces must be of a stunning beauty. Especially when you add the electrosense perceiving all these wonderful events happening in the upper atmosphere. And the boreal auroras! A thousandfold magnified! (I may have gotten myself a bit excited there...)
On the other hand, the sun is barely distinguishable, oddly enough, and telling between day and night is not that simple. And fire is perfectly invisible, appearing only as a hot, crackling distorsion in the air.

We cant attach web to the trees, and we cant carve the trees (yet). But sleeping on the ground is absolutely out of the question, as day is too dangerous for us.
The solution would be to use sticks (from suitable trees) and stones as anchors for the web. Use web like rope to attach it to the unwebable trees and spin from the anchors. From there, consolidating our nests with more of these is only an idea away.

PS: we're nocturnal. So reverse dawn and sunset as for their time-related meanings. :P
better yet, count the time not in days but in nights.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:45:44 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5