Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League  (Read 18190 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
The Bay12 Pokemon League
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:11 am »

Current brakets:

Under the Motto of the week "you are never to old for this", the time has come to crown one bay12er in the one main dicipline that hopefully each of us participated at least in their youth. Gruesomely battling your supernatural pets to death, for the viewers amusement!

As dwarves can not be used for online battles yet, we shall use Pokemons for this. Unless anybody knows of any way to send Urist to battle against other players Olon. In that case, why are you reading this, dwarves battle time!

But Akroma, I own neither a DS nor any pokemon game!

The modern day and age has gifted us with the internet, and with the internet came http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ not only the fastest way to grind away the long ours of time that direly needs to be wasted, but also a very convenient platform to battle pokemon without having to pay money to those greedy, moneygrubbing inventors that sell pokemon games for a living. Damn them. On this website, simply grab a Username and while at it a Password, and off to Team Creation it goes.

Items? Abilities? EVs? I only played Red, what is all this shit?

Those of you who haven't touched pokemon in a long while will see the team creation and notice that pokemon has become a lot more complicated than it used to be.

For starters, the distinction between physical and special attacks. When choosing a move it has either a red (physical) or a grey (special) symbol next to it, indicating which of the attackers stats (att or spa) influence the damage dealt, and which of the targets defence stats (def or spd) will reduce that damage. Keep that in mind when choosing your pokemons moves.

Items? Well, they do exactly what they do in their description. I know the list is long, but just browse it until you find something interesting, I am sure you will find something that fits.

Abilities? Each pokemon has abilities now, usualy 2-3 to choose from. Just pick what seems the most useful, I guess.

EVs? Without going into painstacking detail, those are simply bonus-points you can give on a pokemons stats. Just hand them out according to what you want the pokemon to be good at. Is it meant to be defensive, or offensive etc.

Natures? Each nature raises one stats, while lowering another. It is usualy best to take a nature that lowers a stat that is pointless (like special attack on a physical attacker), while increasing a useful stats (attack, defence, speed, HP, you name it)

And how is that all organised?

Once we have 16 participants, or even 32 if many people want to give it a go (or only 8 if this forum has forgotten all nostalgia) I will put all players in brackets, and put them up for everyone to see. I will also be sending out PMs to all players informing them of their next opponent.
Once a bracket has started, all players have at max 7 days time to contact the other player. Even assuming total time-zone meltdown, I am sure that all players will be able to at least find some overlap during which they can participate in battle.

The bracket moves on after everyone has had their matches, which is hopefully before the 7 days have passed. Because seriously, nobody wants to actually wait for 7 days. It's only that long to accomodate to even busy people, as it includes weekends. Nevertheless folks, be courteous to everyone else, and don't take too long with your matches. A pokemon battle takes less than 5 minutes.

If a player does not show up in time, his disappointed opponent will just move further without the battle, the person who is late, well, should not have been late.
If something is coming up that you know will keep you from being able to participate, just find a replacement on the forum. That shouldn't be too hard.

After each battle, post in this thread with a link to the replay, which will appear after the battle, right below where the moves are displayed.

To challenge one-another on the website, I recommend that both players enter the chatroom (list of chatrooms on the right) "Arts and Crafts". It's basicaly always empty, allowing for easy finding of your opponent.

And what are the rules?

We will be using the OU (overused) Ruleset. Which means the following:

- Certain, absolutely incredibly powerful pokemon are banned. With pokemon like Mewto, Arceus and whatnot running around, teams that chose not to use them have little to no choice of winning. As a result, every team would be basicaly the same. We want diversity.

- no more than one pokemon of the enemy team may be put to sleep at a time. Anyone who ever had to deal with someone who keeps spamming spore will understand why. this does not include pokemon the enemy put asleep himself, through the move Rest

- moves boosting evasion are banned. anyone who ever saw someone spamming Minimize will know why.

- All pokemon in the team must be different.

That's basicaly it. If you chose OU as format during char creation, you will only be shown pokemon and moves legal in that format anyway, so it's not that difficult

Additionaly:

- Once a team has been used in the first bracket, it's fixed. After the first fight, no more changing.

- Please dont sign up with exploit teams, like fear-aron or even worse, spooky-boogy. those are automatic disqualification

Now then, everyone who wants to give it a go, just say so, and your name will enter the list.

Current contenders:
Scaphead, Akroma, Kansa, IamanElfCollaborator, Dwarmin, RolepGeek, KineseN

9 spots left

For monotype cup: Akroma, Kansa, sjm9876, scapheap, IamanElfCollaborator, Rolepgeek, Barbarossa TSG, ICBM pilot
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:44:19 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:13:36 am »

Is F.E.A.R. (not Fear-aron as you mentioned) bannable?

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:21 am »

What exactly qualifies as an exploit team? I've never heard of them.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:38:49 am »

just the usual fear-tactic is fine, as the lvl1-mon in question is usualy only able to pull it off once (as the focus sash will be gone by then)

any such tactics abusing sturdy ability however are not welcome. this is not a competetive game where everyone is a pro player, and has a team that can properly deal with such exploits. don't make me list them all, because simply, I dont know them all. I suppose copycat riolu also counts as such

general note to competitive players: try and be diverse. we all know that the often repeated scizor, ferrothorn, landorus etc teams are really good, but they are not really fun. in the end, such teams only end up with everyone and their mother playing like this

themed teams with a personal touch are much more welcome than the usual powerhouses. of course, nothing prevents you from using them though
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:46:14 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:41:29 am »

What exactly qualifies as an exploit team? I've never heard of them.

for example of exploit teams, just google copycat riolu (whirlwinds the enemy onto hazards with the enemy having almost no chance of fighting back), fear-aron (through abuse of sturdy, some item and sandstorm, basicaly destroys everyone and everything without having to worry about a thing) or spooky-boogy, a team set-up that is literaly so broken that simply spotting it causes ragequits before the game even starts

those are only examples, the list is incomplete. if you never heared of them, hope you wont.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:44:10 am by Akroma »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:47:00 am »

sound fun.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:38:24 pm »

This sounds like fun
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:42:12 pm »

I'm in. :D

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »

Hmm, looks fun to jump in :P

I think I'll make a team of pokemon I like and get destroyed by a person who actually knows how to play, though.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 12:47:17 pm »

Team made. So many new pokemons.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »

Any level cap?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 12:57:02 pm »

By the way, if the pokemon's number has a -next to it, it a fakeamon so what the word on them?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 01:09:16 pm »

no level cap

scaphead, during team building, set OU as the team format, that way fakemon will not be given as an option

fakemon are not allowed. the fakemon on this site are stupidly powerful

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 01:12:44 pm »

Wait, I didn't use OU but have no fakemon in my team. Is this alright?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:14:32 pm »

of course
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30