Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: ☼Ruthless☼ - MasterworkDF Tutorial Fort - V.3h  (Read 7518 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
☼Ruthless☼ - MasterworkDF Tutorial Fort - V.3h
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:22:45 am »

Hello everyone, I thought it would be nice to have a little "how-to-play-MasterworkDF" in form of a narrated succession fort. Here the setup and the first month. I will focus on the tutorial part, so other users can chime in with lore and narration. :)

- Embark and early spring
- Slate 26, mid spring
- Interlude, The dorfed dwarves
- Felsite 26, late spring
- Hematite 26, early summer
- Malachite 26, mid summer
- Galena 26, late summer
- Limestone 26, early autum

Lets start with some basic stuff:
I download the mod.
I unpack the MasterworkDF V.3.rar using WinRar or any other free unpacker.
I go to the MasterworkDF V.3 folder and run Settings.exe (I didnt change anything, because this fort is played with default settings, but you change what you like. See the manual for full info on the Settings.exe)
I start the game and come to this menu:

I generate a new world with the advanced worldgen, using one of the included templates.

After pressing play, loading the map and choosing the embark, I PAUSE AND THINK. Do I want to run Nanofortress, a included tool that allows 1 tile embarks, for 1x1 small forts, or 10x1 long maps? Do I want to run EmbarkEverywhere, a included tool that allows me to embark on fortresses, tombs, necromancer towers, towns? Both can be found in the bottom bar of the Settings.exe.

Then, before pressing 'e', I decide how many settlers I want. I open the dfhack window and type "startdwarf #". I my case its "startdwarf 13", the luckiest number there is.

I select my embark profile. Since I am a veteran user of the mod (:P) I select "Empty Template" and make my own one, which fits the embark.

Nice, we have 4 special castes at embark. An alchemist, a farmer, a beast-warden and an earthkin. I give herbalims and brewing skill to the alchemist, farming and pressing&milling to the farmer, crossbow and hunting to the beast-warden and sword and dodging to the earthkin. I now have early food from gathering plants (herbalism) and meat (hunting), while the earthkin can protect the fort, and the farmer starts a stable, but very slow, food production in the fort.

I also pick 5 miners and 2 lumberjacks and 1 negotiator and appraiser. I only give the miners and lumberjacks 1 point in the skill, they level up fast enough. That leaves us with over 1200 points for items.

That leaves us with items and animals:

I also name the group "The Greatest Smiths" and the fortress, using a random name. "Ruthless" was fitting, because thats my prefered playstyle. And now, its finally time to embark.

I imediatly test the forumdwarves script by pressing Ctrl+Shift+P, which results in this:
fortressintro [TITLE]A Dwarven Outpost[/TITLE]
You have arrived.  After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended.  Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of [VAR:NATIVENAME:GLOBAL:YOURCIV].
There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance.  Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your dwarves.  You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the [VAR:NAME_PLURAL:GLOBAL:LOCAL_LARGE_PREDATOR] get hungry. A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, [VAR:NATIVENAME:GLOBAL:YOURFORT], "[VAR:TRANSLATEDNAME:GLOBAL:YOURFORT]".  Strike the earth!

Yes, that beautiful example is a bit broken, because of the random tags in it that show the predator or fort name. But dont let that deter you. Whenever you see text in the game, you can extract it to the forumdwarves.txt in your dwarf fortress folder by pressing Ctrl+Shift+P. A better example would be a dwarf:

`Mephistopheles' Bunsothrozsed has been quite content lately. 
She is a dubious worshipper of Vanel Teachclarity and a worshipper of Akrul. 
She is a citizen of The Excavation of Abbeys.  She is a member of The Greatest Smiths.  She arrived at Bocashteshkad on the 1st of Granite in the year 26. 
She has the appearance of somebody that is thirty-four years old and is one of the first of her kind. 
She is weak.  She is weak.  Her hair is dry.  Her very long hair is tied in a pony tail. Her slightly wide-set eyes are narrow.  Her teeth are gapped.  She has very low cheekbones, and she has a narrow chin.  Her broad ears have nearly fused lobes.  Her narrow nose is hooked.  Her eyebrows are quite sparse.  Her head is somewhat broad.  Her hair is pumpkin.  Her skin is brown.  Her eyes are rust. 
She is very agile and rarely sick, but she is quick to tire and very weak. 
`Mephistopheles' Bunsothrozsed likes slade, ebonglass, emerald, genie tooth, turret silk, axe heads, coins, turrets for their whirring mechanisms and strawberries for their vivid red color.  When possible, she prefers to consume fisher berries, hell wine, honey bee royal jelly and roasted seeds.  She absolutely detests crayfish. 
She has a good feel for social relationships, but she has a shortage of patience, a questionable spatial sense and lousy creativity. 
She is self-conscious.  She appreciates art and natural beauty.  She prefers familiar routines.  She finds helping others rewarding.  She is easily moved to pity.  She dislikes contracts and regulations.  She strives for excellence.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather. 

*EARTHKIN - EARTH LVL1* This dwarf bears a spark of magic in her. A fresh member of the school of earth, her skin turned to solid stone. She can caste an additional rock armor to further toughen her up. Being arcane in nature she can still cast her magic conceal spell. She is a novice in the use of the earth staff. Earthkins like to fight and feel less pain thanks to their stone skin. If carrying an earthen aura, she will be able to paralyze any enemy that gets too close for a short while.

Nice, isnt it? Respect that color tokens and all that, pre-set for the bay12 forum. :) It also appears that I am female, but meh, I'm ok with that.

Ok, we have a nice embark on a lake, with trees and an easily defended peninsula. I start with planting 3 fields, first thing. For the 3 above ground plants. I tell the 2 lumberjacks to take about the wagon, build a carpenter, make 2 training axes and start felling trees. The herbalist gathers plants. The hunter trains the mastiffs and brings the animals into better positions. The 5 miners dig a central staircase, a place for an underground farm... while doing so I discover a hematit bearing rock-vein. I designate it for digging and some space for stockpiles around at as well. With the underground space now available I station my sprites and changelings into the relative safety of the rock, and pasture that leatherwing bats on my food stockpiles and farms, to have them hunt approaching vermin.

Workshops are simple at first. A butcher, tanner, mason, mason, craftdwarf, mechanic, carpenter. All on the surface for now. I also build a smelter and an ore processor next to the digged hematite vein. I bring the birds into the farming room, which is finally fully mined. I also declare the fourth and last farm to be build, for the plump helmets. The first blocks from the mason go towards the wall, which should give us a little bit of safety. I start tool production, wooden wheelbarrows so people dont lug around boulders in slow-motion. Nestboxes for the birds, more mechanisms, querns and millstones. We have a finished wall now, with a 3tile entry guarded by 2 war mastiffs.

I found some lignite and started mining... and commanded the smelter to make coke from it. The ore processor is sortin hematite bearing rock into ore and rock in the meantime. Slow work with only so few dwarves. I also start a farmworkshop, next to the tanners shop, to shear the leatherwing bats. Next door, the butchery is taking care of the two tuskoxen we used as wagonpullers. Being both male and therefore unable to breed or give milk, they are of no use to us but meat and leather.

And thus ends the first month of the "Ruthless". No surprises, no deaths, no attacks. Only two deaths, the two oxen I butchered. Boring, but successful.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:04:47 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Ruthless☼ - MasterworkDF Tutorial Fort - V.3h
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:51:33 pm »

Very nice and helpful keep up the good work. Don't forget to have !Fun! :)

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:18:51 pm »

Too bad my pottery submod surely isn't there. :-\
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »

You did upload the pottery after I uploaded v3h. Shortly after, yes, but I am no time traveller. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 01:59:58 am »

Read this funny short story I wrote on the horror of the frost giants. It's based on a fort I played with your mod :)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=130593.0

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:06:58 am »

I'd like to be dorfed as an archeologist or a cheesemaker, better if I both.

The Green Sage Of Choice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:41:23 pm »

If I may be dorfed as a Researcher if possible? Just Sage please.

Did I do that right? I'm half-new to this place, posting in particular.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:34:59 am by The Green Sage Of Choice »

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 03:00:08 am »

If you're handing out dorfings I'd love a glassmaker *chuckle*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:49:09 am »

I'd like a dedicated hauler.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:15:19 am »

Dorf me! As that lone swordsdwarf.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:13:36 am »

A, one month we survived, and well.

SLATE - Year 26

Today we build 2 new workshops which are unknown to most fortresses, the stonecutter and the gemcutter. The stonecutter allows use to make furniture from blocks, which we use to make beds for our lucky 13. No reason to waste wood on beds, good solid dwarves sleep on good solid rock. The gemcutter does the same as the stonecutter, just with cut gems instead of blocks. We quickly add a jeweler next to it, to make sure it has enough cut gems to work with.

At the same time we dig rooms for the beds and build up the defenses a bit more, and set up all the nestboxes we made last month. Our tanner, which produces some furs, cuts those into leather and hair-thread, and tans the tough guts of some of the butchered animals into ropes. We will need those for a well, since we still only have water to drink. We have some plants to brew, but no distillery yet. And no kitchen... mostly due to space issues, the mining is still slow.

We appoint our expedition leader to also carry the burden of the bookkeeper and the broker, although he has no office yet. Mephistopheles, our Earthkin, has been burning lignite into coal and sort hematite from the minerals we found, so we can start producing iron bars. Even if everyone is on break this very moment, I think we are getting along quite alright.

We dig out a food production area next to the farms and build two windmills to power the millstones. We set those up, build some querns next to it, while we watch our fellow dwarves... fall all asleep after eating and drinking. It has been 5 days, and only Becor Rockychannel has been working. The expert herbalist is setting up beds, building floors and gathering plants. Well done Becor, you are employee of the month. Have a sip of water and sleep in the dirt, like everyone else. The forts happieness does not suffer. Only 1 dwarf is in an average mood, and 12 are fine.

The surface has been quite so far. Some rain, and a group of kingsnakes wanders around, but nothing more dangerous then a snake with deadly venom has been spotted, which I take as an omen of good luck.

Already the second of Felsite, wow, that month passed fast. The only new pictogram I can show is this, our unfinished bedrooms. Nothing else has changed much. Why they are in a 13-armed candelabra shape? Dont ask me, I told the architect that its not efficient, but couldnt get a clear answer out of her. Hopefully the next month will be more interesting.

Offtpic: I will dwarf everyone who posted. Note that there are no lone swordsdwarves, no dedicated haulers, no glassmakers and no researchers, nor archeologists or cheesemakers. My forts are a classical everyone-does-everything, keeping item-quality and therefore fort-value low, and it means that all jobs are started quickly. We also only just started, two months, so glassmaking and researching is a long way off. But I'll dwarf you ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:50:59 am by Meph »

The Green Sage Of Choice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 01:17:30 pm »

*shrugs* I'm fine with that, just keep me in mind for researching or some similar job. Make my job profession "wannabe researcher" if you'd like.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:17:09 pm by The Green Sage Of Choice »

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 02:15:05 pm »

I'll be perfectly happy to be Dwarven Generic Worker Number something, then. :-\

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:26:45 pm »

*chuckle* no problem *grin*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:26 pm »

Can I be the broker dorf who constantly gets yelled at for goofing off when there's important trading to be done?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6