Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 229607 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #645 on: May 15, 2015, 07:38:43 pm »

Maybe I'm just bitter because the last, what, 3 - 2 months of updates have been incredibly lackluster and have broken the game more than improved it and they keep telling us that the good stuff is "coming soon" but it never seems to show up.

It could be the updates are like that as they are laying the groundwork, but wish to release updates often, so have to keep it in at least a somewhat playable state.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 15, 2015, 07:57:19 pm »

Moving around in spehss is very difficult.
As is remembering which key rotates a block which way when facing what direction.
Black lives matter.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 15, 2015, 10:00:21 pm »

As is remembering which key rotates a block which way when facing what direction.

I leave the rotation hints on for that reason.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2015, 01:12:53 am »

They're actually doing multiplayer again practically from scratch. I will have proper server authority and compartmentalization and free booze for everyone.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #649 on: May 17, 2015, 08:51:25 am »

Moving around in spehss is very difficult.
Doesn't help that those keys change depending on your orientation. The hints are a must.

As for moving around, inertia damper is your friend (but they don't do well on road trips :P) and if precision is needed, then cancelling/waiting for your velocity to mostly nullify before pointing in the new direction and orientation and then proceeding.
Changing more than one plane and orientation while moving is quite difficult to account for, and often disorienting.

Alternatively, consider changing the keys to support a movement style that's more natural for you. For instance, you may prefer if W and S were your vertical controls instead of forward/reverse thrust, or A and D were rotational instead of strafing.
Personally, I've more or less adapted to the defaults, but I know several other free-movement games had different controls for moving.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 17, 2015, 10:16:35 am »

The controls become natural after a few hours.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 29, 2015, 11:51:08 am »

Wow! DirectX 11 makes the game look sooo much better. The Sky box especially.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 30, 2015, 08:04:28 pm »

Loaded it up to check DX11

The lighting effects are amazing - really, really nice.... but they also seem to be really, really random. Standing in my ship facing one direction it's PITCH BLACK like can't see anything.... turn around without moving and it's super bright. I'm not sure exactly why, I turned off all the lights and beacons and anything else that might be generating light. I've also had it fade from light to dark at random just by moving forward a few feet, or going inside an asteroid cave sometimes I can see the whole thing like it's daylight, and others I can't see anything at all (all this with suit lights off)

Everything seems really washed out too, light the brightness is set to max... but as far as I can tell, there's no brightness slider. It's not my screen, I have the brightness on that set very low since I usually use it at night. Especially in the sun, but even inside with suit lights on, it's just so faded and washed out. Black looks grey, even the UI is incredibly washed out.

Performance is also really terrible. Previously floating in empty space I'd get 100 - 150 fps, now I get.... like 20. Floating around my base used to be 50 - 60, now it's like 10 - 15. I tried turning all graphic options down and it did nothing to help. So much for the "small improvement" in performance.

Maybe it will get better, but right now I'll have to stick to DX9.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:08 pm »

Loaded it up to check DX11

The lighting effects are amazing - really, really nice.... but they also seem to be really, really random. Standing in my ship facing one direction it's PITCH BLACK like can't see anything.... turn around without moving and it's super bright. I'm not sure exactly why, I turned off all the lights and beacons and anything else that might be generating light. I've also had it fade from light to dark at random just by moving forward a few feet, or going inside an asteroid cave sometimes I can see the whole thing like it's daylight, and others I can't see anything at all (all this with suit lights off)

Everything seems really washed out too, light the brightness is set to max... but as far as I can tell, there's no brightness slider. It's not my screen, I have the brightness on that set very low since I usually use it at night. Especially in the sun, but even inside with suit lights on, it's just so faded and washed out. Black looks grey, even the UI is incredibly washed out.

Performance is also really terrible. Previously floating in empty space I'd get 100 - 150 fps, now I get.... like 20. Floating around my base used to be 50 - 60, now it's like 10 - 15. I tried turning all graphic options down and it did nothing to help. So much for the "small improvement" in performance.

Maybe it will get better, but right now I'll have to stick to DX9.
The changing brightness is supposed to be your character's eyes "adjusting" to the brightness or darkness, but its a bit buggy.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #655 on: May 30, 2015, 10:53:27 pm »

Great. Another game with High Dynamic Retar... I mean Range. ::)
Maybe it's my love of carrots growing up, but HDR lighting has always been damn annoying and always too slow to be realistic for me.
And devs who implement it without offering a disable just kill my interest in the game.

Of Orcs and Men got maybe 5 minutes of play from me because the HDR is so pronounced and un-disableable.
Not even a CL option that I could find documented anywhere. Doesn't help that it was developed for consoles over PCs.

Anyways, I'm not particularly a fan of the way they're implementing DX11. It would seem that they intend to discontinue support for DX9 soon after they get all the DX11 textures finished, or so the trailer's wording leads me to believe. While I have no problem using DX11, I know many, if not all, video drivers support 9 better than 11.
Also, I believe the speed increase is only realized if they're not using all the new options that DX11 brings, which of course they're trying to do.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:01 pm »

If anyone at some point starts a server for this, tell me please. Have been out of the loop in terms of Space Engineers for a while but would love to give it another try in MP.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 24, 2015, 09:21:24 pm »

So, people said I was wrong when I said I was afraid they were basically running out of ideas and opening the source was them giving up.

Then this comes along: http://www.n3rdabl3.co.uk/2015/06/space-engineers-interview-marek-rosa-early-access/

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it but reading between the lines a little it seems like they are basically saying they are frustrated and fed up with the SE code and it's limitations are trying to wrap the game up and ship it out. They do seem to come right out and directly say planets are the last major feature then bugfixes/polish and release.

Curious what other people make of it.

(I'm not referring to the obviously hypothetical SE2 mention which is used as an example, but to the whole article)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #658 on: June 25, 2015, 06:32:43 am »

As someone with 91 hours in space engineers I think they've done a fantastic job so far. If they put in planets and stable multiplayer code and allow mostly-infinite exploration/generation ala minecraft then I'll be happy.

Mostly the stable multiplayer code is what I want. It's a nightmare building anything in multiplayer when things just randomly spaz out and asplode

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2015, 08:59:57 am »

As someone with 91 hours in space engineers I think they've done a fantastic job so far. If they put in planets and stable multiplayer code and allow mostly-infinite exploration/generation ala minecraft then I'll be happy.

Mostly the stable multiplayer code is what I want. It's a nightmare building anything in multiplayer when things just randomly spaz out and asplode

I suppose that's true (I have a lot more then 91 hours, I've gotten my money's worth) but I feel like the game is pretty deeply flawed right now, and I was hoping they'd fix it.

I guess a lot of it depends on what they consider major features. Is a re-balance of the "economy" (such as it is) a major feature? Is a "travel mode" of some sort a major feature? Is a working, relatively balanced armor/weapon system a major feature? Is AI/NPCs a major feature (ME got peasant workers to mine for you, etc)?

I feel like this is all stuff they are basically going to leave to modders, which ok for single player but it means a fragmented multiplayer community and I was really kind of hoping this would end up a fun multiplayer game eventually.

(also they already have infinite worlds, though everything is almost exactly the same everywhere so there's not much reason to explore)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 114