Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 18914 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2013, 01:56:44 am »

Valve are knoewn to QA test almost to a fault, so there will most likely be something for everyone and will most likely work well.

March

• Bay Watcher
  • undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2013, 06:02:15 am »

Its going to be a controller, hl3 or other 3 games is going to be announced if at all around the actual release date to public purchases; not during the prototype console stage.
If you read the bottom of the second announcement it says they will say more about control interface soon, meaning most likely the 3rd is going to be a controller.

Although from what I've seen of either leaks or actual information is that hl3 is at the least in development but not nearly done enough for it to be announced; one of the main characters accidentally leaked over twitter he had not done any voice work yet some month ago before being quieted by valve and a picture of a list on a valve computer saying something about hl3 very vaguely.

There will probably be no more then 5 versions of the steam machine. I expect the cheapest to be around $300 or so minimum, with either more powerful and expensive versions as well as ones to do specialized stuff.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2013, 12:10:17 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme.

* miauw62 drools

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2013, 12:11:15 pm »

Yep, its a controller. Track pads in place of sticks, and they say it should effectively mimic a mouse and keyboard for non-controller games.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »

They're pretty much making all of this open source. The controller will be fully customizable and you will be able to get "tools available that will enable users to participate in all aspects of the experience, from industrial design to electrical engineering". I wonder how much those tools will cost.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »

So the latest reveal was a controller as myself and most people had already predicted. The controller itself is well ... odd. They've replaced the standard two analog control stick design with two circular trackpads. It has a touch screen and triggers in the top and in the back of the controller. Due to the size of the track pads the "generic main four buttons (ABXY)" are moved oddly around the touchscreen. This is what I predict will be the major problem of the controller.

First off I have to say I really like the trackpad design. I've played a couple of strategy (EU4,CK2, CIV) and FPS (Serious Sam, Minecraft) games on my laptop trackpad a few times when I left my mouse at home and found it infinitely better than a controller. I personally can't play FPS on a controller at all but with a trackpad I'm surprisely decent.
However, I have a mouse and keyboard for FPS/strat and I don't ever see a time when I would be without either a mouse or trackpad so I don't see why I would need a controller designed around playing these genres better. What I use a controller for is platforms, fighters and aRPGs where button mashing and precision analog control is the primary need. My concerns with the way the generic main four buttons are pushed into what seems like a fairly awkward spot would harm the genres which controllers perform the best on. 

I can understand that they were trying to develop a controller that would be useful for lots of genres while being slumped in front of the couch but I still think a wireless keyboard and a mouse on a lapdesk is the better alternative. You have the benefit of mouse aiming but also being able to use other computer functions like web browsing with ease. I suppose the touchpad (assumed it emulates a keyboard) will make typing easier so it might not be a massive trade off after all.

The controller is software moddable which is always nice but it doesn't seem to have the modular design Valve originally patented that would allow components (like a single trackpad) to be traded out for another. Perhaps this is coming in the future but it seems odd that they didn't outright say that it will be modular with optional components.

Now what will really make or break the controller is how much it costs. Two trackpads and a touchscreen sounds extremely expensive to me. I don't think people will consider putting serious cash into a controller no matter the tech it has when you can just get a Xbox 360 controller off ebay for $15.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »

Well... those buttons are... oddly placed, to say the least.

I'd have to get my hands on one to properly judge how it will behave though.

March

• Bay Watcher
  • undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2013, 01:18:49 pm »

Looks nice, and it is always nice to have a new contender in the controller wars; even if we all secretly wish all the consoles would just make one universal controller.

Also agree that the middle buttons are going to be the crutch of that thing having to stop control of motion or camera to use one, or heaven forbid remove your hand to reach the buttons, and the very minor back screw holes that the Xbox one controllers wont have anymore over 360 controllers.
The picture of it in the hands on that page is not comforting.
Also isn't it half expected to have scroll wheels on a pc game based controller by now.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »

After some thinking, I believe the below sums up my thoughts quite well

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme.

* miauw62 drools
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2013, 01:52:08 pm »

Okay, so according to the presentation, the buttons will be less an issue than expected because they're mostly assigned to secondary functions, such as the tab key and so on.

Still want to get my hands on one to try it out myself.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »

Valve understands the gaming community well. In fact they've been planning this a whole while.

It's started with Alien Swarm, than TF2 hats, than the workshop, and now also hardware.

They found a way to let the consumers make their own product, and get paid for it.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2013, 04:25:33 pm »

It's interesting to see a controller step away from the dual analog design. I think I'd be hesitant to pick it up before trying it out myself though. I've never ever liked trackpads.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »

It's interesting to see a controller step away from the dual analog design. I think I'd be hesitant to pick it up before trying it out myself though. I've never ever liked trackpads.
I just realised that the controller reminded me of something. I've got what it is.
Ashens tech prediction.
It has come true.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2013, 04:28:59 pm »

The only thing I don't like about the new controller is the positioning of the ABXY buttons.
But hey, maybe there is something to it that you just can't realize until trying it out.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »

Steam Box doesn't interest me much, but I'm totally going to buy one of those controllers to try it out.  I'd love to be able to play FPS's while reclining on my couch, but I can't stand aiming with joysticks.  This might be the best of both worlds for me.  :D

And I'm a bit of a input fanboy.  I even have one of these sitting in my closet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:37:07 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11