Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surnames + Inheritance: My suggestion  (Read 2433 times)

polartechie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Surnames + Inheritance: My suggestion
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:44 pm »

A lot of the discussion around the inheritance (or not) of surnames has led to the argument that the practice always changed over time and varied among cultures, or that players can make up their own reasoning for naming a baby "rotpaddle."

Why not make it this way in the game?
Maybe for each worldgen, the various civilizations could each have their own way of dealing with this, or have entirely different naming conventions.

Examples:
Civ A dwarf: "Urist Nounverb von Civilization"
Civ B dwarf: "Minkot randomwords"
Civ C dwarf: "Utes MomsnameDadsname"
and so on.

Please bump and let me know if there are others who agree or disagree.
Just wanted to give my two cents; I'm not sure if this topic has already been definitively answered or not.
Thanks for the read!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:31:17 pm by polartechie »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames + Inheritance: My suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »

This is a good suggestion. Dwarven names don't make much sense currently.

More naming patterns:
Civ D dwarf: Kogan Professionname
Civ E dwarf: Bomrek (just Bomrek)
Civ F dwarf: Likot Slayer of Usan
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:14:47 am »

I guess this has been suggested thousand times already, but its still on of the features I'd like most to see. It would make dynasties and legends-research much faster.

Different civs would probably have different naming conventions. Dwarves would have clans, for example. Just like "regular" surnames - Zefon Ironpick, his wife Bomrek Ironpick and their son Domas Ironpick. Humans would probably have something like "Olof son of Olof" or maybe house(entity) names, if they were royal/soldiers. If the sub-entity would be The Ferocious Lancers, name could be like Olof the Lancer. Or something. Nicknames like "Dragonbane" or "Slayer of UristMcIdiot" would go between first name ond clan/house name.

Goblins would probably have clans, too. Elves wouldn't bother with last names, just one name each.

And Kobold names are awesome.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »

Different civs would probably have different naming conventions. Dwarves would have clans, for example. Just like "regular" surnames - Zefon Ironpick, his wife Bomrek Ironpick and their son Domas Ironpick. Humans would probably have something like "Olof son of Olof" or maybe house(entity) names, if they were royal/soldiers. If the sub-entity would be The Ferocious Lancers, name could be like Olof the Lancer. Or something. Nicknames like "Dragonbane" or "Slayer of UristMcIdiot" would go between first name ond clan/house name.

I still think it should differ by culture.Though It still should be weighted so a dwarven civ has a higher chance of using patronyms or clan names while a human would have a much greater of using "of x" or equivalent in their langauge. If the game could be made more interesting, than why not do it. As long as its not too much work. I doubt it will be much more than a few extra lines of code, but I'm no expert at this sort of thing.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:19:07 am »

As far as I understand Toady One's vision for the dwarves, they are to a large extent based off the modern fantasy stereotypes of dwarves, but their societies and customs are meant to be as distinct and unique per civilization as humans civilizations are, so while they all (currently) speak the same language, it would make sense if we ever get things like family names that each civilization would have their own convention for them.

Some obvious conventions that spring to mind would be:

1. Urist Hazehammer and Rovod Wealthcradle get married. Rovod takes the surname Rovod Hazehammer OR Urist takes the surname Wealthcradle. Their first son is Kadol Hazehammer OR Kadol Wealthcradle.
3. Urist Hazehammer and Rovod Wealthcradle get married. Urist and Rovod both take the surname Wealthhammer OR Hazecradle. Their first son is Kadol Wealthhammer OR Kadol Hazecradle.
4. Urist Eshtanson and Rovod Kogandaughter get married. Their first son is Kadol Uristson OR Kadol Rovodson, depending on patrilinearity or matrilinearity.
5. Urist Ralgrandson and Rovod Tarangranddaughter get married. Their first son is Kadol Eshtangrandson OR Kadol Kogangrandson, depending on patrilinearity or matrilinearity.
6. Urist Eshtanson and Rovod Kogandaughter get married. Rovod takes the surname Rovod Uristwife OR Urist takes the surname Urist Rovodhusband. Their first son is Kadol Uristson OR Kadol Rovodson, depending on patrilinearity or matrilinearity.
7. Urist Eshtanson of Hazehammer and Rovod Kogandaughter of Wealthcradle get married. Their first son is Kadol Uristson of Hazehammer OR Kadol Rovodson of Wealthcradle, depending on patrilinearity or matrilinearity. This might be appropriate if either the Hazehammer or Wealthcradle dynasties are nobility.
8. Urist from Laboredholy and Rovod from Rockblessings get married in the fortress of Boatmurdered (WHY?!). Their first son is Kadol from Boatmurdered.

You could, of course, combine multiple naming conventions (along with deednames) for hilarious names like Urist Eshtanson Ralgrandson Rovodhusband "The Fiery Rebuke of Gemstones" of Hazehammer from Laboredholy.