Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chiptunes Arrangement  (Read 1512 times)

Smoip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Chiptunes Arrangement
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »

Underemployed musician (surprise!) here, and I've been taking on fun projects to keep my sanity.

Listening to a lot of chiptunes recently and thought it would be fun to do a chiptunes version of the in game score.  Posted over on the file depot.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8050

It's probably a little frenetic to actually use for gameplay, but what the hell.

Hope you get a kick out of it!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Chiptunes Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:28:41 pm »

Alrighty, criticism! I have no qualifications whatsoever, I just like music.

Let's go through it in the order I listened to it:

song_title.ogg: It's pretty neat. Some parts are emphasized differently than I hear them in the original, that's okay. I like the trills in the background, it gives it a more... ethereal feel. Reminds me of the "The Dig" soundtrack. As a whole, it sounds a bit more mysterious than the original. Very good as a main menu music.

song_game.ogg: It starts out simple enough, the usual melody with a simple beat underneath. But just after you get used it it, the song just explodes into layered melodies and rhythms! And it's really hectic and upbeat, but there's still this intense quality to it from the original melody.
song_game is performed on one guitar, and most adaptations of it keep one single melody line and maybe put a beat on it. That's fine, it's a complex melody and it has its charms. This version here is the first time I've heard it expanded in such a magnificent and chaotic way, and the result is just... frenetic.

Good adaptations of a song always show you something about the original that you didn't hear before. This is a masterful song. It menaces with spikes of sawtooth waves.

Spoiler: regarding the download (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »

I kind of wanted to separate this from the praise about the music, hence the spoiler tags.
I don't really understand why an .aif and a .wav version of the songs are included in the download. ogg files are lossless already, the other two files just bloat the file size. Also, I'm not sure what's going on in the MACOSX folder.

Nonetheless, I've really enjoyed these songs! Is there a place where I can download or buy more Smoip music?

Unless they're ogg/FLAC files or similar, there's no guarantee they're lossless (in fact, the most common use of ogg files — ogg/vorbis — is essentially a FOSS version of mp3s)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Smoip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:45:16 am »

Yeah - I used a lossy ogg compression, and I wanted to post the lossless as well.  The MACOSX folder is probably an artifact of using OSX's archive utility.  As for the .wav and .aif, I work in both interchangeably and didn't even notice I had posted two different formats.

Thanks for the kind comments!  Glad you enjoyed it.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:09:31 am »

Frenetic indeed, it is an original take on this tune and I love it.