Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 292837 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #915 on: July 09, 2015, 11:15:12 am »

First quintuple might be a bit of a misnomer, it seems to be the first absolutely confirmed quintuple since I can find claims of sextuple systems and even two for septuple systems. They're just all uncertain, I imagine due to the obscuring issues noted by the article.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 09, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »

Also, a new vacation photo from New Horizons.

Spoiler: I ♥ PLUTO (click to show/hide)

Closest approach in 4d 18h and counting...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 09, 2015, 12:50:36 pm »

Does that... looks like a heart?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 09, 2015, 03:55:42 pm »

Yes. Hence the spoiler pun. Pluto just wants to broadcast its wuv.

Between this and the "pyramid" on Ceres, you start to wonder if Nature (or an alien race) is fucking around with us.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 09, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »

Between this and the "pyramid" on Ceres, you start to wonder if Nature (or an alien race) is fucking around with us.
I'd say we're fucking with nature by inventing shapes she already had created. Nature must be all: 'but how did you know I had a geographic feature on some far-away rock that looks just like that? What are you trying to tell me?'

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 10, 2015, 06:33:54 am »

Neat new item: Astronomers find first quintuple star system.

It's a set of two binary pairs with a single star. If I read the diagram correctly, it's a contact binary on one side of the barycenter and then a detached binary on the other side with a single star orbiting that binary.

Gravity calculations must be hella fun in that system...
Wait until we go there (because we have to, having made a mess of Earth That Was) and terraform the many planets...

(Or perhaps the one we find in five years' time.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:37:52 am by Starver »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 10, 2015, 07:37:51 am »

Something really fucked up is happening all the way there in Pluto
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 10, 2015, 06:21:08 pm »

[/spoiler].

Confirmed
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 10, 2015, 09:56:46 pm »

Spoiler: Ahem. (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 10, 2015, 10:01:41 pm »

Wait so there's a copy of Half Life 3 on pluto.
We need a lander.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 10, 2015, 11:54:55 pm »

It took nine and a half years for New Horizons to fly to pluto.  If we somehow figured out how to fly a spacecraft to pluto and back it would probably be a good twenty year long mission.  That means we could have half life three a good ten, twenty years before the earliest prediction.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 13, 2015, 03:46:21 pm »

new Pluto picture

"A portrait of Pluto (right) and its moon Charon in a colorized, composite image made July 11 during the final approach of the New Horizons spacecraft. Astronomers are eager to get a much closer view of the icy world Tuesday."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:57 pm »

new Pluto picture
[...]
"A portrait of Pluto (right) and its moon Charon in a colorized, composite image made July 11 during the final approach of the New Horizons spacecraft. Astronomers are eager to get a much closer view of the icy world Tuesday."

And the icy worlds are eager to get a much closer view of New Horizons, I'm sure.  Just as long as it isn't too close...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 14, 2015, 06:55:49 am »

It's a real shame they didn't bother to send a probe over there. Even a crash probe would have been fun to have a closer look of pluto. A rover would have been just fucking amazing but I imagine it would be really hard to land something there considering the speed of New Horizons and the lack of aero breaking.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 14, 2015, 07:29:27 am »

Another recent picture of Pluto.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 232