Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1095940 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Mission 5 has started
« Reply #4590 on: August 13, 2015, 02:49:16 am »

Campaign

Zechariah blinks, going through some possible scenarios in his head and processing what they could do. He didn't really like the idea of making this a business-only trip. Of course, the sooner they ended this, the sooner they could get their points and get out of here with some new powers. But he wondered if that was not all there was to being here. It didn't feel like it, at least. If he did become powerful and simply got out of here and, perhaps, went back to the Medium, what would he have learned? As far as he knew, the Shadows were gone. Was he to take authority over the others in the Medium? He wasn't feeling comfortable with that.

"I... I think that I agree with River," Zechariah said quietly. He raised his voice a little bit, saying, "I don't think that this is a time-critical mission. River would've been pushing us even harder if it was. I feel like this is not too different of a situation from when I was in the Medium. These places, they feel.. connected. There's always a pattern, a key, a chain. It's always a connection." He thought it over in his head a little bit more before continuing.

"There's a magic that interacts with this land. We've seen it with all of the weird portals, relics, wizards.. it exists fully here. I want to find out what makes this place tick. If we didn't need to figure out anything in person, we would've simply been sent out through hosts, so that we don't risk death. But we're here for a reason other than just collecting a bounty. We're not - I'm not a bounty hunter. I suggest that we take the time to at least explore a little bit and find out what we can about the magic in this world, if nothing else. Maybe we can get help from others on the quest. Whether we take to the desert or the canyon, I don't care." He looked over to Alan. "Though, considering his state of mind, it might not be the best to venture to empty lands like that."

"I wish to explore - not just to take it in, but to see if we can learn a bit more about how this universe, and every other one, works."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: August 13, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

((Sorry, problems occurred! D:))

Theri pondered on Irine's words--she was physically fit and able, and did carry the reflexes apt for one who has trained very well in general martial arts...and found reason in them. She had not asked River at all about these things.

She nodded at Ike's notion of heading East, wondering if she would ever broach the strange creatures in the camps she saw earlier ever again. She was glad she gave everyone a greeting-hug before Alan...err. It was hard giving an exact description as to what had happened.

But considering the discussion now? She decided to nudge River.

"I'm with you no matter what happens, River--but we all are using our free will, maybe just not in the words you'd expect. Maybe its the stress or specificity people expect. But nothing against you; I don't think anyone here is blindly following others. Just agreeing with the task at hand. In different words."

She looked at Irine and mentally took down the idea about her past.

"But we're building our future here no matter what those words are. I think we've all worked with each other enough to trust each one that much."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4592 on: August 13, 2015, 06:29:26 pm »

Final Round

Spoiler: Ruh roh. (click to show/hide)

((Since Saevus attacked me with the cleaver and cut off a portion of myself, presumably letting out a bunch of acid, shouldn't his cleaver be coated in acid and potentially rendered unusable?))
((Good point Rune, but I'll just summon a new one if needed. Having an infinite amount of weaponry at your beck and call is quite useful, you see.))

"This is the end."

((EDIT:Decided to add all the new players (and put inactives at the bottom) to the TvTropes character page. Not sure what tropes apply to them though. I'm not even sure which tropes apply to my character.))
Spoiler: @hawk (click to show/hide)

Rune tries to escape while leaving a piece of him behind. Despite Rune's attempts at running blobbing away, Saevus manages to hit him. His hit is not very powerful though. All he manages to do is pin Rune in place without penetrating his 'skin'.

Staging Area

<Oh, I'm sorry, am I boring you? Do you want to leave?> she replies sarcastically and with a hint of annoyance.
<Do you perhaps have anywhere you urgently need to go? If you want to escape, you're free to try, the door is right there.>
Despite there not being a hand pointing at the door, you can't help feeling that there is.
George facepalms and quietly grumbles to himself:
"She captured me, but now she's telling me to try to escape, which obviously won't work.  Ugh, mixed messages and mind games.  Am I talking to an alien terrorist or my ex-girlfriend?"

<Because as your self-appointed medical investigator, I think it's only proper for me to take your history before I start digging through your brain, don't you? It's always nice to get to know your test subjects before you vivisect them.>
She has that tone of voice that's telling you she's enjoying telling you this, although you are not certain if she's enjoying this because she is being not serious or because she is.
<Or, you know, at least have some fun. It's amazing what some people can ask for or say when you tell them they've been selected. When they begin realizing what they've gotten themselves into.>

<As for a name, oh, I've had plenty of those. From such flowery titles as 'the Knight of the Wind' (which should really be Dame if we want to use the 'correct' title for a female, but nobody does that) to 'that crazy bitch who talks too much'. But you may call me Aurora. Mistress Aurora if you want to be polite. Or maybe Doctor, Doctor's better than Mistress, sounds more official.>
As George's expression changes to a mix of confusion and irritation, he says:
"Ok, Aurora, (not gonna call you a doctor unless I see some certification), I get it.  You want me to ask a bunch of questions so you can gleefully brag about how screwed I am.  Fine, I'll bite.  I'll even take notes."

Take out my imaginary pen and notebook, and mime myself taking notes as Aurora responds.

"Ok, so where am I?  Why am I here?  How are you talking to me?  What have I been selected for?  Who else have you taken hostage?  What's your motive?  How do you plan to kill me?  Did you want this parasite to get in my head, or was that a mistake?  Are you also some kind of brain parasite?  Do you enjoy seeing me suffer?  Is this all just some kind of drug-induced hallucination?  How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"
<Hmmm. Well, in short...>

<Personal Section of Staging Area, to complete challenges, telepathy, Interuniversal Games for Special People, none at the moment, knowledge and power (and fun if it wasn't obvious), haven't decided yet, haven't decided yet, for a certain definition of brain and parasite, at the moment yes, yes except no, depends on the species.>
she says as quickly as possible without becoming impossible to comprehend.

John shook his head to get himself back awake. Another mission that ended in pain. He'd have to work on that. At least the music was nice.

"Thanks, Galatea. That's quite lovely; please keep it up. So hey Zero! Requesting evaluation of performance in the last mission.
She nods once more and continues playing.
<Analyzing... Your performance was acceptable within your provided objectives. Nothing to report.>

Wake up and inspect myself for injuries. Last thing I saw was a blast of flame flying at my face. Pretty sure I killed that guy, anyways.
Didn't I already make a turn where you woke up? Oh well, you wake up back in your room in the inn in the staging area and you are fine.

Campaign

Somewhat sarcastically "Okay then. Find the dragon, kill the dragon, get payed, and have fun and be ourselves on the way there."

Nik looks at his comrade sputtering on the floor coughing up white goo.
"Is anyone going to help him? I might have a way."
If no one else steps up to save our brave foodmancer, then I have a way that just might work. It could be considered a form of torture though. Tsar a bottle of water and make him inhale it to fill his lungs with water and wash out his lungs. Then untsar it to make his lungs less filled with water. Then make him cough it out and perform CPR if he needs it of course. That's only if no one else helps him, because this is a terrible plan, but a terrible plan is better than no plan.

((My rescue diver training did not teach me about what to do when someone fills their lungs with sunscreen.))
"Great!" River says while wagging his tail slightly as he gets up, completely oblivious to your sarcasm.

You use your technique to get a large quantity of the substance out of Alan's lungs. You aren't sure how much was in there in the first place though and Alan can't tell you due to him being unconscious, so you just try to continue your CPR until River limps his way to you and kneels besides him.

Everyone
"I... do not know. I did what I felt was right. We shall see."

River touches Alan's chest. About a minute of silence later, Alan wakes up and tries to take a deep breath which gets interrupted halfway through as he continues coughing what's left inside his lungs. River gets up and starts limping away, back towards where he was resting.

"So we head east. Do we leave now? Or wait until night falls? I could use the time to rest. And work on Zechariah's staff. And the darkness would make us harder to spot. But if we delay, more bad things could happen to you."

"Is there anything else you want to say before we leave?"

A quick Google says it's mostly nontoxic, though expect nausea and vomiting. Two possible ingredients are an aspirin-like and ethanol, which can have interesting side effects.
That sounds sufficiently horrible, so I'll take your word for it and give Xan that thing. Probably coupled with the need for a fresh pair of pants.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:50:07 pm by Parisbre56 »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: August 13, 2015, 06:46:15 pm »

Spoiler: Pinned, eh? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:51:25 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: August 13, 2015, 08:58:24 pm »

*hork* "Never buying that brand again."

Having learned nothing from my excessive summoning of things, call up a large quantity of toilet paper and stuff it down my pants.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: August 13, 2015, 09:51:42 pm »

John blinked.  "Uhh... right.  Any performance suggestion or advice?"

With staging room boost turned off, try to summon a suitcase nuke.  See how hard and time consuming it is.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: August 13, 2015, 10:08:01 pm »

"A-Alan? Could you please stop? You're killing yourself."

"I'd like to wait, assuming Alan doesn't hurt himself again. or us."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: August 13, 2015, 10:37:13 pm »

Theri leaned against the wall.

"Other than me being happy about seeing you all again, could...I get in a more in-depth thing about the folks you've met and whose uniform I'm wearing? What...world? are we in, River? Who are these folk and will they hinder us at all?"

Info query!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: August 13, 2015, 11:09:45 pm »

"I'm not killing myself, the sunscreen was. On the upside, now I won't get sunburn!"

Alan leans over and vomits after saying this.
Sig! Onol

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: August 13, 2015, 11:18:46 pm »

"I'm not killing myself, the sunscreen was. On the upside, now I won't get sunburn!"
Theri pursed her lips for a moment before relenting a comment--tact poked her not to mention the intricate details of how damaging something in the lungs can be...Especially if it was meant 'for sunscreen'.

She suppressed a shudder while wondering how people played around with melanin-alternatives, or the lack of fur, which she guessed was attributed to such.

"I think that's not permanent, Alan. You sure you're ok though?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: August 14, 2015, 12:10:38 am »

"Apart from the probable poisoning I just got, I'm pretty alright. This ain't worse than eating fourteen-year old applesauce."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:32:03 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: August 14, 2015, 12:15:50 am »

Staging Area

"Ok, so where am I?  Why am I here?  How are you talking to me?  What have I been selected for?  Who else have you taken hostage?  What's your motive?  How do you plan to kill me?  Did you want this parasite to get in my head, or was that a mistake?  Are you also some kind of brain parasite?  Do you enjoy seeing me suffer?  Is this all just some kind of drug-induced hallucination?  How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"
<Hmmm. Well, in short...>

<Personal Section of Staging Area, to complete challenges, telepathy, Interuniversal Games for Special People, none at the moment, knowledge and power (and fun if it wasn't obvious), haven't decided yet, haven't decided yet, for a certain definition of brain and parasite, at the moment yes, yes except no, depends on the species.>
she says as quickly as possible without becoming impossible to comprehend.

After hearing this, George responds....by simply standing there with a puzzled expression on his face.  He thinks hard to himself:

....What?  I'm in a "Staging Area".....What??  So, I'm here to participate in the "Interuniversal Games for Special People"?  Which requires me to do challenges for her personal gain and amusement?  This is....Huh??  I thought I had this all figured out for once, but the nonsensical revelations never stop....

After a few minutes of George silently struggling to understand and piece together the situation, he finally speaks up, saying:

"So, what you're saying is...I've been brought here to compete....in the Alien Space Olympics."

"And you're my sponsor."
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: August 14, 2015, 01:24:14 am »

"In any case, there's the plan. We head east as soon as everyone's done waiting or resting or whatever it is they're doing."

As soon as everyone's ready to go, head east!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4603 on: August 14, 2015, 04:41:00 am »

Team B: H4zardZ1, Wolfkit, Illgeo
"Oh boy, target practice! In other words watch out and don't dodge into the path of my laser."
Laser as many of the mannequins in half as possible. Don't laser any of my teammates though. It's not time for that yet.

((Sorry for disappearing. I blame life. And Rocket League. Mostly Rocket League.))
Your hasty scribblings only manage to produce a rather anaemic laser. Despite that, your good aim and a concentrated effort allows it to slice through one of the white mannequins. Distressingly, that doesn't do much except limit its mobility. The two halves are still moving, despite the smoke coming out of them.

Quote from: H4zardZ1:autoaction
Stop and wait.
You stop, looking around. You are surrounded and unsure about how you should proceed.

Try to find weak spots on mannequins.
Hmmm... Based on your teammate's attack and its results, you assume they have no weak-points. You could chop them in a hundred pieces and they'd still be animate. They are however rather slow. Or at least they are approaching Fizz rather slowly. Perhaps you could simply run through them and hope you get lucky.

On the other hand, they appear magical, but something is telling you they are not innately magical... there's nothing on them that looks special. Nothing inside them either... Perhaps there is some way to disrupt whatever spell or technology is making them animate? Or maybe find its source and eliminate it?

Team C: akkudakku, FallacyOfUrist, mydjet
RAAGH. If I can't punch through the barrier, I'll just have to punch through the wall next to it!
You bang the wall for a couple of minutes, but it does nothing and now your hands are starting to hurt. You're not at your A strength right now.

As you are banging the wall, you hear someone say "Excuse me?" with a rather nasal tone of voice. Surprised, you stop and turn to your right to see a rather short man (a bit shorter than you, actually) standing on the door to the right, behind the barrier. He's dressed in white, wearing aviator goggles and his hair is standing up, as if they were pushed by a heavy wind.
"Can you please stop banging the wall while I am trying to work? All that noise is making it hard to concentrate. Thank you."
With that, he goes through the door and it closes behind him.

Team A: DreamerGhost, Beirus, Alarith
<Svajoklis, Team A>

Stay near the exit and wait for others. See if flashlight from dead guy works any better. If I see something nasty, shoot it. If my two allies start screaming, shoot slightly above the screams.

Team A

Shoot once at the thing behind me, and follow up with a telekinetic push, if there is a chance I can hit a friend just use telekinesis on it.
Bryan turns around and shoots at the void, just as a beam of light cuts through the darkness, illuminating his target. His target immediately moves out of the way even before he pulls the trigger, the shot hitting it somewhere on its side, producing a small puff of some sort of red sludge and a few feathers. Another shot comes from behind him as he telekinetically shoves his target away, but by that time, the room is back in darkness and he can no longer sense his target near him. All his strike does is topple some furniture. The thing has dissolved again, this time moving towards the other side of the room, towards the one left behind...
Team A

"I'd recommend y'all get as far from this room as possible."

Do the thing. Do the thing now. Start charging. If a viable enemy target presents itself, shoot it with my anchors to impale it with one and wrap it with the others to hold it there.
Damn. It's time for that again, isn't it? Getting your insides scrambled never feels good...
You begin your transformation, bones exploding from your body as your skin bubbles and reshapes itself, producing a small flash of green light in the process.
Something is wrong though. It's like... something inside you is missing. Or at least very faint. Like you don't have as much power as you should have.
This is accompanied by an oppressive presence, the feeling of impending doom increasing... It feels like the darkness itself is pressing hard against your head, ready to strike at any moment. The darkness feels oily... wait, that doesn't make sense... maybe it's your transformed body's senses speaking? But still, if you had a mouth, you'd keep it shut as hard as you could to avoid getting drowned by it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:42:39 am by Parisbre56 »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4604 on: August 14, 2015, 05:55:00 am »

Staging Area

John blinked.  "Uhh... right.  Any performance suggestion or advice?"

With staging room boost turned off, try to summon a suitcase nuke.  See how hard and time consuming it is.
Hmm.... The staging area gives you no boost... How would he interpret that?... Oh, I know.

It takes about three minutes of work, mostly because you have to restart the summoning part-way through due to bad components, but you manage to summon a small nuke. Could had done it in one minute if you weren't concerned with making sure the nuke was actually working well and had good quality parts.

Could be useful if you wanted to kill something armoured or carry a big bang in a small package. Or maybe leave a present behind while escaping or dying. Probably not so useful in direct combat though.

<Succeed. Do not die.>
Well, now he's gone back to Captain Obvious.

After hearing this, George responds....by simply standing there with a puzzled expression on his face.  He thinks hard to himself:

....What?  I'm in a "Staging Area".....What??  So, I'm here to participate in the "Interuniversal Games for Special People"?  Which requires me to do challenges for her personal gain and amusement?  This is....Huh??  I thought I had this all figured out for once, but the nonsensical revelations never stop....

After a few minutes of George silently struggling to understand and piece together the situation, he finally speaks up, saying:

"So, what you're saying is...I've been brought here to compete....in the Alien Space Olympics."

"And you're my sponsor."
<Yes! Exactly!>

<But also completely wrong in almost every way!>

Yep, she's really enjoying this.

Campaign

*hork* "Never buying that brand again."

Having learned nothing from my excessive summoning of things, call up a large quantity of toilet paper and stuff it down my pants.
You summon a couple of rolls of toilet paper and stuff them down your pants with fingers slimy with sunscreen in hopes of stemming the inevitable tide. Well, if worst comes to worst, you could always use that newspaper, like the world's largest canary.

Theri leaned against the wall.

"Other than me being happy about seeing you all again, could...I get in a more in-depth thing about the folks you've met and whose uniform I'm wearing? What...world? are we in, River? Who are these folk and will they hinder us at all?"

Info query!
"The two humans died. I took their uniforms.
I do not know who they are. Warriors of this kingdom, probably. I do not know what their intentions are. But I feel that if we stay away from them, we will be fine. They are not hunting for us yet. And I doubt the simple people living here will dare hurt us.
Irine and Ike talked to them. They could tell you more.
This world has no name. You could name it if you want. I do not know if this kingdom has a name."

OOC
"I think that's not permanent, Alan."
Some sort of sunscreen that provides long-term protection by ingesting it would probably be a good product. Then again, that sounds more like a potion of protection than a scientific product.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 521