Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 154472 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1050 on: September 14, 2016, 10:05:13 am »

Not gonna lie but the start is pretty rough, esp now.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 14, 2016, 10:13:59 am »

Are you playing in casual or ranked? You should probably be able to get to rank 20 in ranked mode fairly easily, as you can't loose ranks until you get there so there's not really any competition (everyone in rank 25 to 21 is going to be ether very new, very casual, or very bad). Once you do get there though, yeah, it can be hard for a new player, as is perhaps the way of games like this it typically just becomes harder and harder over time to be a new player (although standard years helps a bit). This weeks tavern brawl opens in an hour, most tavern brawls are mostly aimed towards more casual random fun and you don't need a collection (although not every brawl is like that). For some stupendously stupid reason you need to be at least level 20 in one of your classes in order to enter the brawl though, which you may or may not have (I'd suggest finding a class you like and focusing on it to get to said level 20... Honestly some weeks I don't play anything but the tavern brawl, but I still do all my quests and such, so it might be worth getting at least that far and seeing if you like playing the brawls.)

For some reason the card game has oceans in it, so my main accounts in NA, although I do have an EU account past the tutorial if you wanta add me. (Criptfeind#1207) I'd pretty much never be on though.

In the process of checking that I did in fact have an EU account I opened a pack I've had sitting in my EU account for like, 8 months or something and got a two legendaries. Whereas in my main account my last 60 packs have had no legendaries at all. Thanks blizzard. Really rubbing it in.

Edit: Incidentally, this weeks tavern brawl is pick three cards and you get 10 of each in your deck.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:08:44 am by Criptfeind »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 14, 2016, 11:16:20 am »

There's not much difference between casual and ranked, now. My experience with casual is that most people are using tryhard netdecks to farm gold for some reason, so the only minor difference is you won't AS often face decks that shit out 5 or 6 legendaries.

But yeah, if you're using the decks they give you on a new account, delete them immediately and look up better Basic decks online somewhere. The starter decks are truly awful.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 14, 2016, 11:47:19 am »

Well, casual works on the legendary mmr system, only hidden, so the longer you play the harder it'll get, so long as you're winning at least. But, yeah. I mean, obviously casual players are in general the type you don't expect to keep playing forever and so the player pool over time becomes more 'hard core'. Still, everything is relative. I don't play casual hardly any so when I step into it it's like a clown fiesta of weird decks and weird plays. Similarly I played a few games on my EU account and it was much much lower tier at rank 25.

Anyway, playing the brawl some. Discard lock seems to finally found it's home. It seems more reliable then the metal tooth leaper. On the other hand it looses to mill druid which metal tooth leaper beats.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:56:18 am by Criptfeind »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 14, 2016, 01:58:00 pm »

Shieldbearer, target dummy/goldshire footman, bolster.

Gonna try Innervate/barnes/blood of the ancient one later on. Blood of the Ancient was one of the first Epics I opened, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. Not a great deck idea, maybe good for a laff.

Unrelated, I can't express enough how eager I am for Flamewanker to rotate to wild.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 14, 2016, 04:32:57 pm »

Innervate / Naturalize / Coldlight has been hilarious for me, although I did lose a game where I got stuck with 4 or 5 Innervates in hand versus Mana Wyrm / Arcane Intellect / Mirror Image. Otherwise it feels like probably the best deck out there. Fatigue wins on turns 5 or 6 quite often.

Malch Imp / Fist of Jarraxus / Soulfire also seems pretty good but I haven't tried it yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1056 on: September 16, 2016, 05:24:41 am »

Discard kills mill druid.

Meh, I just started playing this game and in real games i've literally done nothing but lose. Not having a ton of fun.

It plays surprisingly little like MtG, in my experience. And yeah, the basic decks are horrific. You might want to try casting your eye over a couple of decklists to get an idea of what the differences are.

Edit: Tyrande is the new Priest skin, Noxious likely to have stroke.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:02:34 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 16, 2016, 12:41:13 pm »

Are you playing in casual or ranked? You should probably be able to get to rank 20 in ranked mode fairly easily, as you can't loose ranks until you get there so there's not really any competition (everyone in rank 25 to 21 is going to be ether very new, very casual, or very bad). Once you do get there though, yeah, it can be hard for a new player, as is perhaps the way of games like this it typically just becomes harder and harder over time to be a new player (although standard years helps a bit). This weeks tavern brawl opens in an hour, most tavern brawls are mostly aimed towards more casual random fun and you don't need a collection (although not every brawl is like that). For some stupendously stupid reason you need to be at least level 20 in one of your classes in order to enter the brawl though, which you may or may not have (I'd suggest finding a class you like and focusing on it to get to said level 20... Honestly some weeks I don't play anything but the tavern brawl, but I still do all my quests and such, so it might be worth getting at least that far and seeing if you like playing the brawls.)

For some reason the card game has oceans in it, so my main accounts in NA, although I do have an EU account past the tutorial if you wanta add me. (Criptfeind#1207) I'd pretty much never be on though.

In the process of checking that I did in fact have an EU account I opened a pack I've had sitting in my EU account for like, 8 months or something and got a two legendaries. Whereas in my main account my last 60 packs have had no legendaries at all. Thanks blizzard. Really rubbing it in.

Edit: Incidentally, this weeks tavern brawl is pick three cards and you get 10 of each in your deck.
I can't do Tavern Brawls yet. and I didnt realise the starter decks were so bad.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 17, 2016, 01:27:58 am »

It's official, I just played against the shittiest brawl deck ever. Doomsayer, Resurrect, Yogg. Do nothing at all the entire match, then flip a coin every turn til someone dies. I just afk'd.

Other than that though, this one has been surprisingly fun, but I wasn't around for Pick 2 so I can't say if it's better or worse.

Also, picked up the filthy newb pack +8 more packs, got Grom for the guaranteed so that's 2/9 classic class legendaries I have now. Yay for progress... Nothing of note in the packs though. pile o dust.

edit: numbers is hard
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:47:42 am by Darkmere »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1059 on: September 17, 2016, 01:44:09 am »

I kind of like it a little better. There's more flexibility for zany combos (I've been playing around with some OTK decks), and less of a flat meta (other than mill druid and discolock, I guess).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 17, 2016, 04:03:51 am »

Hunter seems to suck less at the start than mage, at least.

Also, what do I spend my gold on? Arena or packs?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:18:52 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1061 on: September 17, 2016, 04:31:38 am »

Arena guarantees you a pack, but not much else. If you can consistently make three or four wins, it's about the same cost as buying a pack. On the minus side, it always grants a latest expansion pack, so no chance for the core classic cards.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 17, 2016, 08:49:00 am »

I just buy packs. I should probably play more arena, it is worth more if you're okay enough, but I get too much performance anxiety.

Edit: that said, there's something to be said for classic cards, since they never go outa style and a lot of core things (at least, for the classically good classes, sorry shaman) are in the classic packs.

Also adventures are a thing. I think they are not quite "worthwhile" as far as gold/cards go, but they are somewhat fun and at least you know what you're going to get, if you working towards a deck saving up for the adventure that it needs could be a good way to go about it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:14:14 am by Criptfeind »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 17, 2016, 11:07:30 am »

Technically arena gives you the best average value for your gold even if you only win a single game, but it's extremely frustrating until you figure out how tempo works. After that, it's only incredibly annoying because the whole thing is heavily RNG influenced so it's likely you'll get your ass handed to you unless you were offered mage and all the good mage cards.

Adventures tend to have really solid cards but you kinda need to have a deck plan that can use them. Kara is weird and not terribly helpful on its own that I can tell, unless you want to play resurrect priest. LoE is awesome but it's rotating out of standard in a few months so you may just wanna buy the first wing to keep it available to you, sometime before it goes. Same with BRM.

Classic packs are evergreen, so for a new player they're always a good bet. Old Gods cards are very solid for hunters, so if you like those it may be worth buying a few here and there and saving up for Kara wing 2.

There's very little in The Grand Tournament worth playing, don't buy those packs. save dust to craft what you want, instead.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1064 on: September 17, 2016, 01:21:43 pm »

After that, it's only incredibly annoying because the whole thing is heavily RNG influenced so it's likely you'll get your ass handed to you unless you were offered mage and all the good mage cards.

Arena is its own format, and you should play it like that. It's more luck-influenced than constructed, but there are people that average seven wins.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 109