Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Microscope RPG OOC Thread  (Read 8357 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Microscope RPG OOC Thread
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:31:16 am »

Please, read through all the text before joining. There's a limit of 6 players (without a limit turns would last forever). The only order we will be following is that the current Lens gets to choose the Focus and start the turn, and then after one week or when all other players have finished, he posts the ending event, and then the Legacy is chosen, after which the new Lens has 3 days to post. You will understand if you read through it.

I'm going to be a good lazy boy and paste the best compilation of the rules that I have seen until now.

HISTORY OF
[INSERT WORLD NAME HERE]
A Microscope Game

Microscope is a game about worldbuilding. Not in the literal sense, as the players do not take the roles of gods or anything like that; rather, the players work to create a rich and detailed history of the world, building off of ideas and concepts introduced (and/or modified) by the other players. It is, essentially, an exercise in creative writing and roleplaying.

Microscope describes itself as a "fractal game." That is because the game works by adjusting the focus in and out as the players see fit. The game starts with the beginning and ending of the history already known; the bits in between are filled by establishing new facts about the world that do not contradict existing facts, and then exploring the implications and consequences of those facts. Essentially, the game is one long answer to the question of "What is this world?"

Everyone is equal as far as creative authority goes; there are very few rules about what you can and can't write, but everyone is an equal participant, and nobody has any precedence when it comes to any particular aspect of the game. Nobody owns anything. A character, a god, a city, a secret society; they are all tools to be used by every player, regardless of who introduced them to the game. Technically speaking, there isn't even a GM; I'll be something like First among Equals since I'm the one who owns a copy of the rules (and I'm the guy who'll perform general thread maintenance,) but when it comes to actually playing the game I have no more or less power than anyone else.

Spoiler: How the game is played (click to show/hide)

Player List:
-Rhyme
-GWG
-Sheb
-MrVoid
-USEC_OFFICER
-Gamerlord
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:43:34 am by Rhyme »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG (Let's try it)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:49:06 am »

One thing I've never understood about this system is why everyone has to focus on the same bit at any given time. Why not have people expand whatever sections they want to whenever?

Regardless, IN.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:11 am »

One thing I've never understood about this system is why everyone has to focus on the same bit at any given time. Why not have people expand whatever sections they want to whenever?

Regardless, IN.
Because then we end  up having lots of turn where no one's creations interact. I'vr managed to get a copy of this, played a bit with friends and on Spanish forums and it usually ends with hundreds of little stories without any connection if you go without the focus.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:03:12 am »

I'm IN. Not sure what's the point of the Legacy system though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:13:03 am »

Regardless, IN.
Because then we end  up having lots of turn where no one's creations interact. I'vr managed to get a copy of this, played a bit with friends and on Spanish forums and it usually ends with hundreds of little stories without any connection if you go without the focus.
Is that such a bad thing? Is there a thematic connection between WWII, the assassination of JFK, and Watergate? If they all connect into a timeline, and if people writing bits take earlier and later events into account, why is this a problem?

((Not that important, really, but it's always nice to consider why we're doing X.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:19:29 am »

In or PTW either way.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 10:23:27 am »

Regardless, IN.
Is that such a bad thing? Is there a thematic connection between WWII, the assassination of JFK, and Watergate? If they all connect into a timeline, and if people writing bits take earlier and later events into account, why is this a problem?

((Not that important, really, but it's always nice to consider why we're doing X.))
Those three things would actually fall under the "USA" focus if we were playing Microscope. Focus can be very broad.

The problem is that we can end with things that don't actually connect. I thought the same as you, but after a few games I realized the focus had a reason to be there.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:57 am »

IN. This sounds like fun.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:52 am »

Those three things would actually fall under the "USA" focus if we were playing Microscope. Focus can be very broad.
Alright, how about--to pick three events from 1994, which I conveniently have the Wikipedia page for open--the Kremlin Accords, the Assault Weapons Ban, and Hurricane Gordon?

The problem is that we can end with things that don't actually connect. I thought the same as you, but after a few games I realized the focus had a reason to be there.
Alright. I'll defer to your experience at the present.
Sig

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:34:42 am »

In, but may step aside for someone else if I'm not a good enough writer for this.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:45:01 am »

We are already six, so let's start with the Palette. I'll start:

There is magic, but it is uncommon, and only a few special people (who usually have some kind of birth mark) can use it. Others may use it by making a pact with a supernatural entity.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 10:47:52 am »

Um, the op didn't explain the Palette.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:49 am »

I thought it did... So much for copy and pasting...

The Palette is a number of rules we must follow. These are so that we all know what this is about. As an example, the Palette of a D&D world would have "Wizards must study their spells each day." "Clerics are granted powers by their deities", etc. (I can't give a long explanation now, as I'm on my phone)

Usually, we would all add something to the Palette until someome said that he doesn't want to add anything more. At that points we would stop and start (possibly in a different topic)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:01:22 am by Rhyme »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 11:01:33 am »

I got ha. So any of us six can give rules?

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:02:46 am »

I got ha. So any of us six can give rules?
Yes. Just don't post something that goes against a previous rule.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10