Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Microscope RPG OOC Thread  (Read 8358 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG (Let's try it)
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 12:55:29 pm »

Am I too late to join?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »

6 player cap. Although saying that, I request to be waitlisted in case anyone drops out.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 12:59:25 pm »

Aw man. Oh well, me too.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 01:01:06 pm »

Might join in on this later when there's space, I played a couple short lived games so I want to see what a longer lived one's like.

Also if I may I'd suggest you keep a flowchart of some sort to keep all the events in order, it could cause for much less headache in the future.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 01:39:53 pm »

Once we really start, I'll open an IC thread for the events, periods and scenes. And I'll link all of them to the OP in chronological order.

Answering GWG: Ideally, none.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »

Alright, how many periodic cataclysms should one world have?

At least two, apparently.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 04:34:11 pm »

After Sheb posts his part of the Palette we can start or decide if we want another round for the Palette.

In my opinion one more rule is enough, as it makes six, enough for us to know the type of world we're going for, but not so many that we can feel restrained. But stupid Greeks decided to create democracy, so we should vote for this :P

I'll also start a waitlist in case someone decides he can't continue.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 06:31:45 pm »

Actually, I wanted those cataclysms to be different.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:48 pm »

Im in

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 09:20:23 pm »

Actually, I wanted those cataclysms to be different.
It makes sense. It creates a sort of cyclical world, with each race replacing the last.

What did you have in mind, anyways?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 09:56:20 pm »

I thought the race-ending cataclysms would be more about widespread destruction, while the millenial ones would be like a withering and renewal.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 10:14:34 pm »

Ah.

Well, three things.
1. The described described cataclysm is pretty...cataclysmic. I'm having trouble imagining civilization bouncing back.
2. Anything worse than that would probably destroy pretty much everything, which makes the existence of previous races less interesting.
3. Why can't the withering and rebirth be tied to the widespread destruction?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 05:12:49 am »

Magic radiating from the gems and the influence of the various supernatural entities greatly speed up evolution, with life going from slimes to intelligent, mortal race in the first 300 years of each cycle. It is not uncommon for a child to look like he belong to another subspecies from his parents.

Is that acceptable?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2013, 06:21:33 am »

1) There is magic, but it is uncommon, and only a few special people (who usually have some kind of birth mark) can use it. Others may use it by making a pact with a supernatural entity.

2) There is only one (known) continent and only a few small islands. Large ships are almost completely unknown; sailors are typically sailing either cargo ships typically around 40-50 feet long, or smaller fishing boats.

3) Humans are the only mortal race living on the continent, and are the third mortal race to be created. The other two races were destroyed by cataclysmic events before being replaced.

4) A cycle of destruction ravages the continent every 1000 years, dust storms and insane heat waves drying it to a bone.

5) Massive gemstones dot the land.  They are the source of magic, and can be used as a focus to commune with various supernatural entities.

6) Magic radiating from the gems and the influence of the various supernatural entities greatly speed up evolution, with life going from slimes to intelligent, mortal race in the first 300 years of each cycle. It is not uncommon for a child to look like he belong to another subspecies from his parents.

Sooo... I think the third rule can be amended by stating that the "human only" part only apply to the third cycle. Which may or may not be the main focus of the story, depends.
Other than that it's coherent and very interesting.
Just one thing: the wording of rule three and four might point out that the island around the continent are unharmed by the cataclysms. Leftovers of earlier civilisations might remain here...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 06:27:30 am »

Which have been evolving for three more cycles than humans did.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10