Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Wayward Terran Frontier - Half way between Dwarf Fortress and FTL  (Read 10057 times)

splad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have updated this post because I recently launched a kickstarter for this project
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084206971/wayward-terran-frontier

This game is a WIP, and for full disclosure it is being developed by me. I feel like a jerk posting on another game's forums, except last time I did a big release someone else posted my game here, so I figured it was a grey area. I am a huge fan of Dwarf Fortress, and I will be spending Christmas eve in front of the fire with a laptop and a new fortress. If you would like, you should check out my game. I am releasing it via the Minecraft method with an early release that is currently, and likely always will be free to the public, so enjoy!

Here is a link to the video I made describing the latest alpha version. Warning: it's long because it's also a tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CuUUh6upks

This video is shorter and more cinematic since it is the trailer I spent months working on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuVc8TV7rLA

The game takes place from 2 different perspectives. There is the inside view where you see a top-down schematic of your ship and can control your crew as they move around the ship. This part is multiplayer and you can have friends connect over the network and fly a ship with you.

It looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The other view is outside the ship. Here is an animated gif of some space combat. Note: there are no hitpoints in this battle, only a tile-based real-time simulation of the components and crew inside every ship. Ships die when there are no more crew alive in them.
Compressed version:

Here is a better gif of a ship breaking apart

The current gameplay is a WIP and it plays a little like captain forever. You design a ship and travel a vast procedural galaxy blowing up other ships and looking for more budget and tech unlocks to upgrade your ship with. When you die you get to keep the tech unlocks and budget so you can afford to try better and more expensive ships. I have been constantly adding new modules and mechanics as fast as I can create new artwork, which isn't extremely fast, and when I do they are placed into the game world for you to find.

Also, I need feedback! I have found most people playing my game are lurkers, but I have a few people on my forums and elsewhere who actually talk to me about game design and I really like that. It is hard to keep track of all the cool things I want to do with this game and what I want to work on next, so having an open forum discussing new content is a huge source of inspiration. I have found that dwarf fortress players tend to give great feedback because some of the mechanics are already familiar to them. Please tell me what you think of the game, and what you would like to see added.

Alpha Download: http://www.wtfrontier.com/?page_id=198
Twitter: https://twitter.com/allogonist
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/spladspork
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/wayward-terran-frontier/

Inspirations for this game include Escape velocity, Star Control 2, and even Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:24:32 pm by splad »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Terran Frontier - Half way between Dwarf Fortress and FTL
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »

been getting in check of your game since the first prototypes in an old thread, looks really cool, i hope we could have things like resource harvesting and stations, i mean, create stations for players, they could work the same as spaceships just that they're inmobile. do you have something planned for planets?, will they be just background?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 05:22:35 pm »

This looks awesome

PTW and wait for new updates.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 05:24:06 pm »

This looks really cool.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 05:25:50 pm »

Interesting

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 05:27:48 pm »

Guys you know what this means. We need a bay12 starship.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:46:05 pm »

PTW

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:54:48 pm »

Looks nice.

I, personally, don't see how it's like DF.
Crew manager maybe?  Looks more FTL than DF to me too, but worth looking at.  DF aspect might also refer to ship building.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 05:56:45 pm »

I remember this! I used to play it a bit the first time it was posted here.

Tacotacotaco!

I'll check out the new version later.

splad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 06:05:02 pm »

I, personally, don't see how it's like DF.

The gameplay doesn't currently reflect a lot of dwarf fortress, but the tile based worlds and the cellular automata of the tiles is somewhat inspired by the 2d voxel world of DF. For instance, the way power flows through conduits and the way fire and atmosphere is calculated. Also the long-term design goal will have DF like rooms and the crew will mostly live their own lives without being directly controlled by the player.

The inspiration was to add all the best aspects of all my favorite games into something multiplayer, and DF is one of those games. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game is similar to any of those games.

Escape Velocity's one of your inspirations, eh? How's that affect the game or vision you have for it?

The long-term design goal will play somewhat like escape velocity on a persistent player-run server. You will start on a NPC controlled station, and be set loose on the world. Things you do can drastically change the state of the world, like setting up player-run stations or starting NPC wars, or even just flooding the market with trade goods. Of course that's my long term goals, this project is in its infancy. What you see in the current version is a game client meant to connect to a world server, but because the world server is only half finished I have included a sort of sample game as part of the client.

Ruskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 07:16:33 pm »

PTW....this looks awesome

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 09:32:38 pm »

This looks amazing.

The cinematic trailer could really use some VO.  Specifically, a soundalike to the narrator from Bastion.
Or Nathan Fillion...

splad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »

This looks amazing.

The cinematic trailer could really use some VO.  Specifically, a soundalike to the narrator from Bastion.
Or Nathan Fillion...

HAHA, yeah maybe after I have a version worth buying people will pay me and then I will be able to afford hiring one of those guys.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »

This is something to keep track of. I'm a fan of Escape Velocity. Played them as they came out.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 09:57:18 pm »

PTW!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5