Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What changes should I make to maximize Adamantine?  (Read 3050 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
What changes should I make to maximize Adamantine?
« on: December 30, 2013, 05:38:27 pm »

If I rely just on "Generate World with Advanced Parameters" instead of modding the game files, what settings should I use in order to get as much Adamantine in the embark as possible?

I assume that increasing the spacing between the Magma Sea and the third Cavern level will help a lot... which parameter controls this?

Does anyone have a save or seed that works with v34.11 and generates lots of candy?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Never pet a burning dog.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What changes should I make to maximize Adamantine?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:28:52 pm »

[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:<number>] is what you're after. The wiki is vaguely certain that it works.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:25:32 pm »

[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:<number>] is what you're after. The wiki is vaguely certain that it works.

Do you mean "LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:<number>"?

The LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:<number> parameter seems to control the thickness of the SMR and possibly the depth of the Magma Sea. The LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:<number> parameter should presumably control the spacing between the SMR and the bottom cavern layer... which is where most of the Candy is found.
Never pet a burning dog.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:35:03 pm »

The LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:<number> parameter seems to control the thickness of the SMR and possibly the depth of the Magma Sea. The LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:<number> parameter should presumably control the spacing between the SMR and the bottom cavern layer... which is where most of the Candy is found.
Above Layer 5 is the SMR sea depth, and controls the height of candy spires found within the SMR sea.
Above Layer 4 is the depth between the lowest cavern and the magma transition layer just above the SMR sea.

If you have three caverns, adjusting Above Layer 4 can, depending on embark location, affect the height of candy spires that rise to the top or bottom of the third cavern.  However, adjusting Above Layer 5 is more consistent.  Rarely, (quite rare!) you can find a clown temple adjacent to a lava tube, adjacent to a spire, and have the spire rise to the top of the temple and/or lava tube.  I've personally only seen this once in 34.11.

Typically, any world generated with three caverns and high values (10-100) for Above Layer 4 & 5 will get you candy 'o' plenty, in my experience.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:39:02 pm »

Hmmmm. Somebody needs to science this. I tend to get candy that starts at the same level as the magma sea, so extending LAYER_5 would help in that case, but I also at least once got a spire that topped out at the bottom of the third cavern, which LAYER_4 would have helped with. Also, I don't actually pay much attention to the location of my candy spires. Hmm...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:45:22 pm »

Hmmmm. Somebody needs to science this.

Well, this isn't exactly !!SCIENCE!!, but...

I just genned a world with the default parameters except that I increased the LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4 from 2 to 15... and DFHack 'prospect all' tells me that I've got over 3000 Adamantine in my 4x4 embark, extending across 35 levels.
Never pet a burning dog.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:47:24 pm »

Here's an example of a spike extending to the top of cavern 3. (67-Z levels non-hollow)

Here's an example of the rare spike I described previously.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »

Hmmmm. Somebody needs to science this.

Well, this isn't exactly !!SCIENCE!!, but...

I just genned a world with the default parameters except that I increased the LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4 from 2 to 15... and DFHack 'prospect all' tells me that I've got over 3000 Adamantine in my 4x4 embark, extending across 35 levels.

That's only one data point. I think what needs to be done is create a parameter set that gens with no rejections (I think this is to ensure identicalnesss), and the only thing that changes every time is the LAYER_4 and/or LAYER_5 parameters. And then we do a thing like the Mineral Occurence Setting science done back in DF2010. Heck, I'm bored, I'll do that!

A 2x2 embark needs to be aligned to the grid to ensure exactly one spire and only one spire, and having only one spire makes for simplicity I think... hmmm...

Lielac, Human Overseer withdraws from society...

Edit: or at 4x4 aligned to the grid... really, anything aligned to the grid of the "one candy cane randomly placed in each 2x2 area of the 16x16 embark region" is simpler... idk but they might shift around, that'd be something to note at least

Edit2: I have a vanilla ice cream version with DFHack installed for prospecting purposes, and I'll be using this world gen:

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:TEST REGION]
[SEED:yG24cOGiCW0i0Ww8IYSs]
[HISTORY_SEED:qOg0euEmGyGYM6sqeQE2]
[NAME_SEED:aYSWUs48Qy208EMkUGEi]
[CREATURE_SEED:aWqCKmQame64iGwMgCIC]
[DIM:17:17]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1324]
[END_YEAR:2]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:30:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:52:52]
[RAINFALL:0:100:26:26]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:26:26]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:26:26]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:26:26]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:26:26]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:2500]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:1]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:2]
[TITAN_NUMBER:1]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:20]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:10]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:10]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:10]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:10]
[SECRET_NUMBER:20]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:10]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:10]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:1:0:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:1:0:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:1:1]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:1]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:2]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:5]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:18]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:36:72:36]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

except i gotta do meatspace things

Edit3: Meatspace things are something I can multitask, SO.

I have embarked on a 4x4 thing in the very, very top left corner of the region. 4 candy canes, as expected due to being aligned to the grid. Embark (not counting air) goes from 126 to 19. Candy is 84-28; 84 is the top of the first spire as well as the third cavern, and somebody cursed me with microcline so it's hard to tell where the others are. UGH -- no wait the second one starts at 82 -- third cavern is 84-80, and only two canes stick up into it (and are both on the left half of the embark)

The magma sea doesn't start until 46, and the two righthand spires start at that level. The one in the first quadrant is open at 44, #4 isn't, #2 has been since z-63 and #3 goes hollow at 48. I don't know how relevant that is, honestly... perhaps beyond the scope of this project? #4 hollows out at 36.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:32:48 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:18 pm »

The LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:<number> parameter seems to control the thickness of the SMR and possibly the depth of the Magma Sea.
The adamantine always passes through the SMR.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:56:27 pm »

Note to self: always clean up after yourself by unrevealing after you're done examining a map! aaaaaaaagh

Okay, I made my second map and increased LAYER_4 by 1, and the map now goes from 126-18 and adamantine goes from 84-27! Also, 6106. +54!

there i've freaking unrevealed -goes back to region2- bloody persnickety dfhack

-- Candy canes don't seem to move, but microcline blobs certainly do. I couldn't find quadrant 3 initially because it was no longer jutting out of the edge of a microcline cluster. #2 seems to be in the same location, in sub-quadrant 1 of q2. (sq1 of q2?)

Magma sea starts at 45 instead of 46, so LAYER_4 definitely affects the space in between cavern 3 and the magma sea. Q1's spire is in SQ4, and Q4's spire is also in SQ4. Q1 hollows at z43, Q2 at 63, Q3 at 47, and Q4 at 35. -- The additional layer is somewhere between 62 and 48, because Q2's hollowness z is identical to region 1, but all others are pushed down by one. Hmmmmm!

Edit: Having checked 3 embarks so far, I am pretty damn certain adamantine tubes do not change locations with this kind of change to the worldgen parameters. They've all been in the same subquadrants, and if they did change I don't think I'd get a run.

Edit2: Only changing LAYER_4 right now. Addy increase is not quite perfectly linear, but I only have 10 data points. It looks mostly linear, though. Things that don't change are Q2 and Q3's highest points and the subquadrants each tube falls into, and things that are completely predictable are everything I'm tracking about Q1 and Q4, as well as the top of the magma sea, top of HFS, and the lowest level. LAYER_4 affects everything between z-79 (or, more generally, the bottom of the third cavern) and the magma sea, and appears to quite fixedly add one layer every time I increment it.

Edit3: Screw it, we're just looking at addy increase, I'm saving the regions anyway I'll just prospect all and check on the details laterrrrrrr

Edit4: Aaaaand first crash. Pfffff at least it was at worldgen

Edit5: Ewwwww, another crash

Edit6: DF is apparently not happy with me repeatedly genning the same world over and over and over. WELL SUCKS TO BE YOU I GUESS

Edit7: UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Edit8: Okay, this is what I have so far. You'll notice 15 isn't filled in yet, and that's because that's what the UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH is about.

Sort of linear? Approximately linear. There doesn't seem to be a non-linear curve like the numbers behind mineral scarcity.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 11:43:06 pm by Lielac »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 12:06:50 am »

What people have probably already said:

Levels above Layer 1 is the minimum separation between the ground and the top of the first cavern layer.
Levels above Layer 2 is the minimum separation between the bottom of the first cavern layer and the start of the second.
Levels above Layer 3 is the minimum separation between the bottom of the second cavern layer and the start of the third.
Levels above Layer 4 is the minimum separation between the bottom of the third cavern layer and the top of the magma sea.
Levels above Layer 5 is the minimum separation between the top of the magma sea and the bottom of the semi-molten rock.
Levels above Bottom is the minimum separation between the top of the HFS bottom of the map and the bottom of the map.

The adamantine may reach into the third cavern layer, so theoretically increasing the number of levels above layer 4 can get you a vast amount of adamantine.

The adamantine spires always go through the magma sea, so you will be almost absolutely guaranteed to have at least 12 * number of magma-sea levels * number of adamantine spires tiles of adamantine. However, much of this will be surrounded in magma and will probably be dangerous to access.

There were bugs that meant increasing the number of magma sea levels and levels at the bottom of the map could result in bugs increasing your adamantine supplies, buy they may have been fixed.

The trouble with increasing the number of z-levels is FPS. Can someone possibly check the effect on FPS for each layer added?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.