Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304112 times)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3300 on: March 20, 2014, 03:58:02 pm »

* Strange starts passing vodka around
Well, if we're not gonna kill any russians soviet apologists we might as well get drunk with them...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: March 20, 2014, 04:04:35 pm »

Back to the point... Where have we slipped into history and racial cleansing from Crimean/Ukrainian events, guys?

Because those are the fears of many involved in the Crimean Annexation. There's precedent. And given that Putin is willing to say one thing (Local militias) and do another (Russian military), no one is exactly filled with reassurance for the future. Putin seems immune to international attention to what he's doing, so what's to stop him from ordering the thing everyone is afraid of?

Or maybe even worse, that he's willing to stand aside while the unchecked passions of Crimeans rage and people get victimized.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:14:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3302 on: March 20, 2014, 06:33:36 pm »

Well, if people are satisfied, I'll just leave the reports alone.  On the other hand, I don't want to keep handling trouble here, and this isn't the first time.  I understand that people want to continue talking about this ongoing topic, but if there are difficulties doing so in a civil fashion, I'll either have to start putting individuals on time-out, or lock the topic down entirely, at my discretion.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:07 pm »

Russia strikes back: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/us/politics/us-expanding-sanctions-against-russia-over-ukraine.html

I found this very funny:
In a statement accompanying the list, Russia’s Foreign Ministry denounced the American sanctions as a tool “from the arsenal of the past” that would backfire.

Yeah, of all the stuff being done here it's definitely the sanctions that are clearly misguided throwbacks to the past.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: March 20, 2014, 07:17:01 pm »

Heh. That's pretty awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »

Well, if people are satisfied, I'll just leave the reports alone.
That's why I really like this thread: We have Soviet revisionists, Ukrainian nationalists, Europeans of all sorts, some Americans, in a situation where there's a real possibility that we'll be drafted and sent to kill each other within the next five years. But every time stuff starts getting heated, we somehow sort it out. You don't see that very often.

GI, Comrade, and all you other Russians: How do you think will the Russian economy react to the sanctions? In Germany, summer is getting started, I went out in a T-shirt today - for the next ~9 months oil and gas won't be too desperately needed...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: March 20, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

Obama rules out military force in Ukraine. And where the US won't go, NATO won't go. Yet. Of course if things get a lot worse over there it might be revisited, but it'd hafta get really bad methinks.

I wasn't expecting any military involvement on the States' part anyway, but official announcement is official announcement.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: March 20, 2014, 07:43:47 pm »

* Dutchling joins the fight

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: March 20, 2014, 07:48:16 pm »

* Dutchling joins the fight
>_<  C'mon man, that's not the kind of attitude we need in this thread right now. Keeping it civil, informative and unlocked is a big enough challenge =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: March 20, 2014, 07:49:17 pm »

I should probably have linked to the article where I got it from, titled:
"Good News From Ukraine: Everyone Still Hates Hitler"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:12 pm »

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: March 20, 2014, 07:59:17 pm »

I should probably have linked to the article where I got it from, titled:
"Good News From Ukraine: Everyone Still Hates Hitler"

Russian and Western leaders don't see eye-to-eye on the crisis in Ukraine, but they've reached consensus on another important issue: Adolf Hitler was bad.

Did the Onion write this? My sides. What a great article, heh.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: March 20, 2014, 08:02:16 pm »

I found it on /r/nottheonion, so you're not the only one to think so :P

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: March 21, 2014, 12:55:43 am »

Well, if people are satisfied, I'll just leave the reports alone.
That's why I really like this thread: We have Soviet revisionists, Ukrainian nationalists, Europeans of all sorts, some Americans, in a situation where there's a real possibility that we'll be drafted and sent to kill each other within the next five years. But every time stuff starts getting heated, we somehow sort it out. You don't see that very often.

I'm glad things have calmed down in here, like many on the forum I'm actually relying on this thread for somewhat more informed unbiased information than I could get from local news alone. Sure there are many in here who are only partly informed, and with their own personal bias, but with civil discourse everyone's opinion and knowledge can be digested in an intelligent manner.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: March 21, 2014, 01:06:36 am »

I'll translate this for anyone who doesn't understand german or whatever.
 "heilen" also means to cure somebody from a sickness. So:
"2 Irrenärzte treffen sich, sagt der eine: Heil Hitler! Darauf der andere: Heil du ihn doch!" Translates to:
"2 mad-doctors meet, one says: Heil Hitler! wheron the other says: Heil him yourself!"

ahh, sorry for the doublepost.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 286