Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is wrong with my piston?  (Read 1788 times)

Pakkanen

• Bay Watcher
  • Try some alchemy!!
    • View Profile
    • Second Phase Software
What is wrong with my piston?
« on: January 31, 2014, 07:14:08 am »

I couldn't find much info on broken pistons and I cant for the life of me understand what causes my piston to be ripped apart like this.
Spoiler: The uppermost level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The catchament area (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lowest level (click to show/hide)

SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8380

This 1x15 line in the middle of my piston causes me to only get 3-1 deep magma to the catchament area and I really don't want to have to build another one.
I saved the game before I dropped it so my piston is safe for the time being.

So the question is; what is causing my piston to break?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:24:54 am by Pakkanen »
~Volvo kauhee laiva tehoo täytyy olla liikkuu joskus BMW ei ikinä perä vaivaa mese joo mut ei riitä hitsi lanka voi otta sellasen

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with my piston?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:03:13 am »

This is... mystical. I don't have an idea what might cause this. I'll download the save and check if I can get anything out of it. Right now I feel that this may lead to great scientific discoveries in cave-in science.

PS: Nice to see other Finnish DF players here!

EDIT: I downloaded and tested it. Still no idea how that 1x15 column of rock just... disappears. You could try to build something in the place where the line will form.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:34:20 am by Matoro »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:03 am »

Checking it out and no idea why the rock just splits like that, trying a number of things though.

Moved the support, still splits in two. Using DFhack here.

Attempted to somehow reinforce it by flooring the top, didn't help. Also, the bunch of vermin escaping confinement and shifting the view is annoying :P

BTW, is that pump in the first image supposed to be dwarf powered or not? Because as it is, it's going to leak and a dwarf will be killed.

I can't fix the whole block splitting in two, but channeling where the split happens and putting retractable bridges in the split helps. Doesn't stop the split, but at least you'll get some magma.

Edit: Tried removing the bridges just to see what would happen if the bridges weren't there and it still splits.

Maybe submit this one onto the mantis bug tracker? It's a real puzzle and 100% reproducible.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:17:51 am by smjjames »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:20:27 am »

ok that is just weird.  My first thought while the download was going was possibly a tunnle under the floor but theres nothing there, nor does that line up with anything.  Its like that extra rock is just teleporting somewhere random.  No clue what could be causeing that or how to fix it.  howev

I did spot a problem with your second pistion however (the small one)  you cant cave in constructed walls like that.  they will deconstruct and the pistion is going to drop 2 Z levels instead of the 1 you are apparently planing on.  I also see no setup for makeing these repeating pistions.  Was this a soposed to be a dry run to make sure the system would work before reverting and finishing construction?

Looking at the layout it might almost be easier to continue that small piston down a few more Z levels. prep a new botom area on Z-59 (same level as that pump that appears to be going nowhere) Build a new set of bridges to contain things about 3z down from where the current top set is as your going to loose 3Z's from the change (1 for new botom 1 for current botom, and 1 from the constructed walls).  you should be able to fill the small pistion from that magma tube where the pump is right now although you'll need to build a new access path to it.  you'll need to pump the lava up a few Z levels at the top to get to wherever you wanted to but the extra space will give you room for a water tank for recasting the top of the piston.

Pakkanen

• Bay Watcher
  • Try some alchemy!!
    • View Profile
    • Second Phase Software
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:04:53 pm »

BTW, is that pump in the first image supposed to be dwarf powered or not? Because as it is, it's going to leak and a dwarf will be killed.
So the magma wont drop straight into the hole next to it?

This is not a repeating piston, I just need enough magma to power my forges.
I will post about this on mantis at a better time.
~Volvo kauhee laiva tehoo täytyy olla liikkuu joskus BMW ei ikinä perä vaivaa mese joo mut ei riitä hitsi lanka voi otta sellasen

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:13:48 pm »

So the magma wont drop straight into the hole next to it?

This is not a repeating piston, I just need enough magma to power my forges.
I will post about this on mantis at a better time.

No, I mean the tile just south of the pump, the fluid (magma in this case) will go through diagonals and the magma is going to overflow back and kill whoever is using it.

I can show you a better way of doing that pump thing if you'd like.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:38:14 pm »

Piston not pumping?  Magma not quite as hot as it used to be?  Elves laughing at your architecture?

Try ADAMANTINE today!
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:08:23 pm »

I downloaded the save and... the piston functioned perfectly. No missing rock at all. I even killed DF and tried it again, just to be sure. Maybe you should try copying the save to a freshly "installed" DF folder, to see if there's still a problem.

Pakkanen

• Bay Watcher
  • Try some alchemy!!
    • View Profile
    • Second Phase Software
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 06:15:20 pm »

I downloaded the save and... the piston functioned perfectly. No missing rock at all. I even killed DF and tried it again, just to be sure. Maybe you should try copying the save to a freshly "installed" DF folder, to see if there's still a problem.
No dice.
I downloaded a fresh copy of DF and imported my region but the piston would still get cut in half.
However I did notice a single tile near the middle of the 1x15 line that didn't disappear (sometimes) after the piston was dropped.
I tried it twice on the vanilla 0.34.11 install and on a PHOEBUS 0.34.11 install.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:04:45 pm »

Very weird. I've never heard of platform-dependent bugs in DF, but maybe this is one. I'm running 0.34.11 on Linux with the most recent dfhack, for the record.

Pakkanen

• Bay Watcher
  • Try some alchemy!!
    • View Profile
    • Second Phase Software
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 06:56:06 am »

I noticed that some of the stone on/under the pistons would disappear.

There should be lots of stone. Now there is only about half of what there were. I forbade every single stone so they could not have been hauled, especially from the smaller piston since there is no entrance there.
Could this be somehow linked to the problem I have with my piston?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 03:39:51 pm »

did you deconstruct a wall?  could be the telelporting items on deconstruct glitch if your not runing a version of DF that has that patched.  basicly it can cause every loose item withen a particular range to teleport to the dwarves feet when they deconstruct a wall.