Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saga of Pandoria  (Read 2640 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Saga of Pandoria
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »

I'm on an Indie Development Team called "Team Monkey"
We have been in contact with Valve, and our game was put on Greenlight a few days ago.
So far, the response from the Steam community has been very positive, but we need more votes to get the game on steam.

Saga of Pandoria is a 3rd person co-op fantasy action-RPG inspired by various SNES classics built using the Source engine.

Main Features:
  • Indie Fantasy Action-RPG, Story driven campaign, 7 Chapters on multiple continents, Monsters with unique attack patterns & demanding boss fights.
  • Online co-op for up to 3 players.
  • Third person fast paced fighting / block / evade / combo system.
  • Innovative magic system.
  • 3 Difficulties and 40 player levels to unlock, with progress stored independent from game-session.
  • Designed for full game-pad support.
  • Unique art style with a detailed game world.

STORY:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CHARACTERS:

Please keep in mind that the game is still in a pre-final status and is still rough on some edges,
The majority of the animations are going to be redone, and don't represent the final game.

Gameplay video on Youtube:  http://youtu.be/92GP3aei2Fk

Some Screenshots:

in case the image doesn't link to the greenlight page, here's a link.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222736025

we are considering changing the name of the game, and are taking suggestions on the steam page.
The Kickstarter will be up in about two weeks, so stay tuned.

Preview/Review  http://mwap.me.uk/game-industry-news/saga-of-pandoria-preview.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:06:37 pm by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Saga of Pandoria
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 05:45:17 pm »

... is... are.

Those screen shots.

Why are they 3d renders of seiken densetsu critters? Rabite, wolf-dudes from SD3, Death Jester. What is this madness, haha.

... actually, can you folks do that, if you're using them in-game? I know squeenix is pretty vicious about about copyright and whatnot.

Anyway. Points for the rabite. Probably couldn't play even if I want to (too pretty, ha!), but still. Points for the rabite.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:06:41 pm »

the game started as a fan made Secret of Mana game, but the name was changed for legal reasons,
but we kept all the models.
also, I did the concept art for the 3D rabite, so thank you for the compliment.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:08:49 pm »

This looks cool, it's interesting to see the source engine used for something like this. The gameplay trailer reminded me of Dark Cloud, if you're familiar with it. I think basic combat like that is acceptable, so long as there's a large degree of customization/depth somewhere (like the Dark Cloud example, with its complex weapon building).

The name does sound a bit off, mostly due to the similarity to that WoW expansion (I think most people would be reminded of that rather than of Secret of Mana). Personally, I think it's better when games don't use any lore names in the title, as they're meaningless to anyone who hasn't played the game yet. Can't think of anything to name it though. Dark Cloud 3? A man can dream. Sacred Sword? I dunno.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:51:52 pm »

Yeah, I know Dark Cloud, it does kind of have that feel to it.

the name started under a different name,
but then it changed to Saga of Pandoria like 5 years ago, a long time before the WoW expansion, but we are planning on changing the name...again..
that and finalizing everything for the kickstarter.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:52:41 am by Valid_Dark »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 11:54:53 am »

I'm no graphics whore, but those screenshots look very dated. Looks kinda like a PS2 game. It looks colourful, but kind of bland.

How is the story? Does it have its own identity? The typical problem with converting fangames into original IPs, is that unless you rewrite the whole script/lore, it's going to still feel like a derivative fangame. A good story and/or tight gameplay mechanics can save a game from poor visual design.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 02:12:17 pm »

I'm no graphics whore, but those screenshots look very dated. Looks kinda like a PS2 game. It looks colourful, but kind of bland.

Hmm? I watched the video and didn't notice any big problems with the graphics. Seemed similar in style and quality to Team Fortress 2, and was overall better in quality than most indie games.

the game started as a fan made Secret of Mana game, but the name was changed for legal reasons,
but we kept all the models.
also, I did the concept art for the 3D rabite, so thank you for the compliment.

The allusion to Fear of the Heavens in the music at the end of the trailer was a nice touch.

Good story-driven co-op RPGs ala Secret of Mana are few and far between at the moment, so I certainly welcome this project. The only major criticism I have from watching the video is that the combat animations seem very stiff.

EDIT: One other piece of criticism from watching the trailer. "Go find your Uncle" beginnings to RPGs (in this case grandpa) have NEVER been good, whether they're done by indies or by triple-As. You have a limited amount of time to hook the player on your game when they first start it up, and running around an uneventful village, talking to random people with a character you have no emotional connection to is not a good way to do that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:23:59 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »

Thank you PrimusRibbus, that is good criticism.
The beginning is rather slow and kind of boring, after 30 min. or so the game really picks up,
the story/beginning is honestly a bit cliche, but the gameplay makes up for it.

The animations are quite stiff atm; we know this, the animations are placeholder atm, and are the first item on our agenda for improvements before the game is released.  we just needed some sort of animation to test the game and get things running smoothly.
The HUD is also placeholder atm, but there aren't any shots in the trailer atm that showcase it.

here are a few never before seen screenshots, I'm only posting them here and nowhere else.

The entrance to the first dungeon,

one of the many Cannons around the world used for travel.

If there is a bigger response to the game on this forum I'll post some more exclusive screenshots,

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:46:44 pm »

Saga of pandoria is currently #48 out of 1565 games on steam greenlight, with help we can climb the charts even faster.  It's another week and a few days before the kickstarter starts, if anyone has any questions about the game I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 01:54:04 am »

Well the game was greenlit on steam a while ago, almost 2 weeks ago now,
The plan was to start the kickstarter soon after that, but was delayed.  We're working on redoing some of the animations and making a new promo video before we start the Kickstarter.
Kickstarter should start sometime this month, I'll keep you posted.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 05:43:35 am »

looks badass

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 09:04:15 am »

Gonna look into this later...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:27 pm »

I have no idea when the kickstarter is starting,..

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »

So, right now It's unsure if we're going to have a kickstarter at all, we're on the fence about making the game free on Steam, there are a lot of things to consider and it's a big decision.  If we make the game free we don't have to pay all the crazy licensing fees, but then we can't have a kickstarter.  Also, still no word on the new name of the game.

We are looking for a few more members for the development team,  nothing too serious, we're looking for a modeler and an animator, It's an unpaid position, but your name will be in the credits and it will look good on your portfolio. 

For modeling we're just looking for someone to model some props, able to match the art style of the game.  If anyone is interested send me a PM.  No experience necessary.