Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: Day 6: Game Over, Town victory!  (Read 56949 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Unvote

Darksword: Which do you think is more powerful: A villager - I mean loyalist - with nightkill, or a scum with roleblock?
Scum with roleblock. A vigilante can hit other townies, a scum blocker will always hit non-scum.

Darksword: Aside from a second NK, what do you think the strongest Scum ability would be?
Either a roleblock or a randomizer or redirection power. Killing is nice, but it's even better for the scum if the town's carefuly laid plans do not work and they start blaming each other.

deathsword: You didn't ask me a question. Is there some reason you hadn't? ARE YOU HIDING SOMETHING?!? :P
[sarcasm]I am hiding the fact that I am not a sword[/sarcasm]. I don't think I have ever asked every single player a question in RVS in any game to date. I tend to limit my questions to 3 or 4.

Deathsword - What kind of questions do you find are most useful in the RVS?
Those that allow me to see how a person thinks and what kind of actions they like.

Caz: Why did you steal my question?
Mastacheese: Do you expect the larger than average newbie number will affect reads to a significant degree?
Persus13 - Do you think newbies in the game make it more difficult to hunt correctly?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Caz: Why did you steal my question?
Mastacheese: Do you expect the larger than average newbie number will affect reads to a significant degree?
Persus13 - Do you think newbies in the game make it more difficult to hunt correctly?

Hmm, that's interesting. I must have skimmed over while reading and the idea got stuck in my head, then conveniently forgot where I got the idea from. There are a large portion of new players in this game though, aren't there?

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest Battle of Orbfalls: Day 1: Just your average dwarf
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2014, 04:41:08 pm »

Imperial Guardsman: Do you think that a mass role claim would ever be beneficial (meaning not simply helping scum), considering that the roles are not tied to alignment?
It all depends on the scum's claims. I have a question, would a role claim be dumb to do D1?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 04:59:29 pm »

Caz:
MastahCheese - When looking for scum, are there any particular behaviours that stand out to you as a tell? Would you reveal these immediately or wait to gather more information?
I seem to have developed a reputation (at least by 4mask) of having "Tooney Tunnel" vision whenever I see something that I think is scummy. So yeah, I don't really wait for evidence to back myself up.
As for particular patterns, dodging question, deflections, contradictions, mostly the sort of things that come about when you press people. Which is I guess why I'm fond of it.
What about you? Which method do you prefer?

TheDarkStar:
Mastahcheese: Do you think trying to figure out the abilities of the different roles is worthwhile?
I certainly think it would help, yes. As for actively trying to rolefish, I think there are better uses of time. What do you think? Do you think that there are any roles in particular where it would be beneficial to know what they do?

Persus13:
Of the roles stated in the OP, which ones do you think would be the most likely scum roles? Do you think that the alignments and roles are linked? Why?

Tiruin:
You've responded in the thread, but didn't ask any questions. (Or if you did I completely missed it.) Are you busy?
Would you rather have a role that can inspect others? Or a role that can block others?

Deathsword:
Maybe? I don't know until I see them in action. How would you expect them to affect it?
Also you seem to be taking that vote on you rather harshly, for what is admittedly a random vote.

Imperial Guardsman:
Why are you asking about role claims on Day 1? Do you have some sort of ability that you'd like for the town to know about? Actually that one would only benefit scum, probably. Don't answer that. Which do you think would be better to have, a cop, a doctor, or a jailkeeper?

Tawarochir:
This is your first game. Are you aware of the implications of "lurking" and what it is? Will you be active?

Flabort:
You are acting incredibly odd, like what seems to be intentionally misinterpreting Deathsword's responses to you (at first, at least). Do you understand how this game works?

WhitiusOpus:
You point out that Deathsword failed to ask a question, but neglected to ask many others questions yourself. Why is this?

Jiokuy:
Mastahcheese: you were excited for the game to start, but you have not posted yet. Are you afraid your Scumyness will show?
Mafia games are the last thing I check when I go through threads, because they take the longest. And for this day in particular, I had to leave before I could answer this game (Or the Good/Bad/Ugly game) which you would see if you checked the actual times of posting.
You seem eager to look for even the slightest tell, not even scumtells. Eager to kill someone?

Superblackcat:
Let's say that you have an inspect ability. You try to inspect someone, but you turn up with nothing. What do you think are the odds of:
1: Your inspect was blocked by the person you tried to inspect?
2: Your inspect was blocked by someone other than the target, blocking the target?
3: Your inspect was blocked by someone blocking you?
4: Something else?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Yes, I am aware of the implications of "lurking". I just kind of forgot about the thread.

Hm... I think I'll just see how things play out on day one. NOT VOTING.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2014, 05:18:49 pm »

Imperial Guardsman:
Why are you asking about role claims on Day 1? Do you have some sort of ability that you'd like for the town to know about? Actually that one would only benefit scum, probably. Don't answer that. Which do you think would be better to have, a cop, a doctor, or a jailkeeper?
One, I meant my fluff role. Two, maybe. Three, Okay. Four, a Jailkeeper can potentially screw over the town ( NOPE COP YOU DON'T GET TO INSPECT, NOPE DOCTOR YOU DON'T GET TO HELP THE COP SURVIVE THE NIGHT. ). The doctor has a one in 13 chance to be useful unless we have a third party, which I doubt, so Cop.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tawarochir
Yes, I am aware of the implications of "lurking". I just kind of forgot about the thread.

First off, you don't need to put the fact that you aren't voting in red, unless you are voting for a no-lynch, which is a bad idea on Day 1.
Also, "seeing how things play out" is generally considered scummy play. ...Which is also related to lurking, in a sense.
If you saw someone doing something scummy, would you consider voting? Or would you just sit there and do nothing?
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »

WhitiusOpus:
TDS: You seem experienced at this game. What do you think is the best way to find scum? Who're your current suspects, even if it's so early in the game?

I think the best way to find scum is to look for people who seem to not care about who dies as much as other people. Also, the people who try to keep the attention off themselves. Of course, more situational scumtells can show up, too, like contradictions and flavor-specific things.

Tiruin:

Wherein this consequence lies in 'Show us where your honor lies and face the wall for this set amount of time'?
One turn or two.
-snip-
So no, not much. The Jail sentence equals an absence of 2 whole turns, which means if one was sentenced this twilight, s/he'd appear on D4, if I'm not mistaken. Given the 13/3 setup and assuming that nobody votes for hammering..and the hammer isn't a vigilante given this context, we lose 2 people each day (lynch/NK), and a D4 note seems like a very possible thing, regardless of other factors.

...So yeah.

While I do notice you didn't mention any specific time (and ask why you didn't), I'd also say why do you ask my opinion about my vote ahead of time-what will that do for you?

I asked for a time, just a general one in the form of "Is it ever a good idea?". Also, I disagree with you, because a beating would remove someone from the immediately occurring night, too. Also, jailing would seem to be worse for the town than the scum, since jailed people can't come back for two nights rather than one. This would keep town out of the game longer and delay a scum lynch. What are your thoughts on this?

As for the reason I asked you, it was to see what your take on the voting system is and help get a discussion going.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2014, 06:00:59 pm »

TheDarkStar:
TheDarkStar:
Mastahcheese: Do you think trying to figure out the abilities of the different roles is worthwhile?
I certainly think it would help, yes. As for actively trying to rolefish, I think there are better uses of time. What do you think? Do you think that there are any roles in particular where it would be beneficial to know what they do?
Bolded the bit that was a question to you.
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:13 pm »

And I hit "post" by accident. Here's the rest of my post:

Caz:

Caz: Would it ever make sense to have a hammering for anything except confirmed scum?
Yeah, though I'm not sure 100% on the logistics. If town only gets to either lynch or jail (with roles revealed on both) and we jail one of the scum, we basically wasted a lynch and the town has to wait until the next day, while scum on the other hand can kill each night. It's better than lynching a townie but only marginally so. What I'm not sure on is how to decide who we are hammering or not. I don't think we should lynch on day 1. Most often they flip town, but we can still get a roleflip in this way. Do we go for hammering confirmed only and jail the rest, or what? How would you think on this situation?

Persus13:
Are we still doing RV? Does that even scare anyone anymore?

TheDarkStar - Do you get nervous when you are voted by more than one person?

1. I think a hammering would be necessary either for confirmed scum or for a LyLo situation (for 4 town and 3 scum, if the town doesn't hammer, then their number goes down to 3vs3 and they lose), unless scum that are away don't count to the total.

2. Unvote Persus13. It's odd that you'd say that, considering that I first voted in the first post of the game (and I'm just now getting a chance to unvote), and we're not that far in. Why would we be scared of that at this point in the game?

3. Not really. If a few people are voting for me, I'll do what I can to fix things, as long as it's not a bunch of random votes. If there's a lynch train starting on me (and I'm town), I'll point things out about it and either have them be proved when I die or (if people believe me) help find scum. Either way, it helps people figure out who the scum are.

If I'm scum and it seems I'll die, I'll start leaving "scumtells" that implicate people who are not actually scum.

Imperial Guardsman:

Imperial Guardsman: Do you think that a mass role claim would ever be beneficial (meaning not simply helping scum), considering that the roles are not tied to alignment?
It all depends on the scum's claims. I have a question, would a role claim be dumb to do D1?

Probably yes, unless someone is willing to claim to let an investigative role defend them for the rest of the game. I can see a mid-game claim working, depending on what the scum roles are, by seeing who refuses to claim. Also, as far as I can tell, claiming protective roles (and what else would a "Chief Medical Dwarf" do?) is a bad idea, unless there are at least two and they can protect each other.

Tawarochir:

If you just want to see how things go and take no action, you're active lurking - you post so that you're there, but you don't add anything of value.

Also, if you mess up on voting, you should be fine as long as you have well-thought-out arguments and lots of quotes so that people can see what you are talking about.

PPE: mastahcheese:

TheDarkStar:
TheDarkStar:
Bolded the bit that was a question to you.

I think knowing what the hammerer could do would be good (Can he/she kill, or is it just a roleblock or something? Also, the same thing goes for the military people) and maybe some general roles like the representatives so that we have an idea of what the abilities are. Some, like the chief medical dwarf, can be simply guessed at, though, and (probably) don't require a claim.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think knowing what the hammerer could do would be good (Can he/she kill, or is it just a roleblock or something? Also, the same thing goes for the military people) and maybe some general roles like the representatives so that we have an idea of what the abilities are. Some, like the chief medical dwarf, can be simply guessed at, though, and (probably) don't require a claim.
Maybe the Hammerer is required to actually hammer people?
That would provide an actual purpose to the whole "locked up in jail for 2 turns" bit.
Which begs the question, the OP says that scum needs to be "incapacitated", not killed. Maybe a prison sentence would do the trick?
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe the Hammerer is required to actually hammer people?
That would provide an actual purpose to the whole "locked up in jail for 2 turns" bit.
Which begs the question, the OP says that scum needs to be "incapacitated", not killed. Maybe a prison sentence would do the trick?

1/2. That's a good idea, actually. How nonstandard are the rules to this game?

3. This might mean that simply giving a prison sentence every time would always make sense unless you know they are scum.

Anyone who wants to answer:

Could there be a role that messes with punishment votes, like being able to do two at once or controlling someone else's?

Also, would it be possible to use a prison sentence/beating to save someone if you didn't know who the scum were?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

At the appointed time, you all return to Baron 4maskwolf’s quarters for dinner.  The guards briefly frisk you for weapons, then let you in.
The arrangements have changed since this morning.  The golden table remains the centerpiece of the room, but the formerly barren room  is now covered in adornments.  Slabs of stone depicting the greatest deeds performed in Orbfalls cover the walls, the table is set for a grand banquet, and a gleaming platinum hammer hangs directly behind the baron’s chair.  Demonbane, the first artifact of Orbfalls, the pride jewel of the fortress.  The baron himself is nowhere to be seen as you take your seats.  Tense conversation starts, with dwarves arranging themselves into various groups.
From the doors you came through, there is a whispered conversation, and everyone in the room goes quiet.  The doors burst open, admitting the baron entrance.
“Well, I’m glad to see you all came at the right time,” he says, taking his seat at the head of the table, “there is much to discuss.”
Silence reigned across the room.
“Ah, but how could I forget.  You all must be hungry after a long day of work, aren’t you.  Please, help yourselves to some food.  Armok knows I don’t eat much these days anyway.”
For a moment, nobody moved.  Then, slowly, the manager reached for the roast pig meat.  Helping himself to a large portion, he began to eat.
4maskwolf sighs, “come on, fellow noblemen and women.  There is much to discuss and so little time, surely a good meal could help you.”
One by one, the dwarves began to take food, passing it around when needed.  The baron seemed content to watch the proceedings, and slowly, conversation broke out once more.

Question and Answer time with 4maskwolf:
What is my role name?  I can’t find it?
Well, this is my warning to never again attempt to write flavor, because it never works.  Your role name should be in the paragraph where I describe your abilities and alignment.  If you still can’t find it, pm me.
But what does my power do, exactly?
Send me a pm with any questions you may have about your power.
Can we identify different kills from the flavortext
Yes, yes you can.  Every kill group or role has its own unique flavor, which even you might not know.
What if we have multiple different kills?
Each one will have a different flavor, and I will need you to specify which kill you are using.  More generally, you can only take one action per night, and if you have multiple options I need you to specify which one you are using.
What happens if multiple people try to kill someone who is protected?
Kills and protects will be cumulative, and if kills outnumber protects then the person is dead.
What is the order in which things take effect?
Roleblocks take priority, and pure roleblocks take precedence over melded roleblocks.  Kills are lowest on the priority list: every other ability will trigger before a kill.  So if, to use a standardized example, a doctor got nk’d, they would still protect their target.
Can I protect myself with my protect
I'll send a message to this effect to those who can.
What does "incapacitated" mean?
It means out of the game in any way.  Beating, jailing, dead, or otherwise.
When does a sentence end?
A sentence of removal from the game ends after a night and one or two day-night cycles has gone by, depending on what lynch option was used.  For example, if you jail three scum in a row, then during the night directly following the third jailing all scum would be in jail, thus theoretically ending the game.
How nonstandard are the rules?
Only the lynch is nonstandard, the abilities possessed by all of you are fairly standard abilities or abilities based off of the lynch.  Again, if you have a question about what your ability does, ask me.
Is my action a night action or can I use it any time?
With the exception of powers relating to the lynch, all actions are night actions.
Can I target someone who is jailed or has been beaten?
No.  Players who are out of the game are out of the game, you cannot affect them and they cannot affect you.
Is the baron a vampire?
It's entirely possible.  I'm also not playing, so you are safe from me.
You said multiple kill groups...
I did say those words, but that wasn't the complete statement now was it, MastahCheese.
Can we lynch the mod?
No, you cannot.  The mod is not playing the game.

It's not that difficult, people.  It's not a bastard mod, there aren't any puzzles.  If you have questions, feel free to pm them to me.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:05:15 pm by 4maskwolf »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Um... there are multiple kill groups?

And it sounds like the Baron is a vampire. Oh crud.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:49 pm »

mastah
Tiruin:
You've responded in the thread, but didn't ask any questions. (Or if you did I completely missed it.) Are you busy?
Would you rather have a role that can inspect others? Or a role that can block others?

I totally didn't ask any due to:
a. Me being probably stressed or sad because of seemingly trivial reasons to everyone else but really (bad)-good reasons to me
b. PFP'd
c. It's a weekday and WOOHOO FINALS and WOOHOO LAST WEEK PROJECTS and WOOHOO *ded*
d. Dx

So yeah. I is the busy.

I would rather have a role that could inspect block others due to its efficiency. If I somehow do manage to block a kill, I can keep silent and stay my word until the probable massclaim given that if killed-people would find out what I did, most likely, compared to me inspectin' scoom and then getting killed (because at that circumstance? I would have to lie my face out in 'HEY I SAW YOU DO X/Y/Z AND YOU'RE BAD'. I don't like lying), though that'd be at the early day only.
And blocker-type role because if I do live until the endgame...which is quite common somehow given that people don't target me for some reason, I get to block the most scummy scum scum person! :D
Though in foresight--those two role types are ambivalent to me. Equal standing, depending on how they're used. I'd rather an block than an inspect on...this type of game, methinks due to (oh hey someone else can probably have an inspect role) and (yay I can block people, woo~).

PPE (pre-posting edit): I notice you didn't mention any alignment associated with that kinda question there. Why did you ask me that without that kind of context?

Tawarochir

First off, you don't need to put the fact that you aren't voting in red, unless you are voting for a no-lynch, which is a bad idea on Day 1.
Also, "seeing how things play out" is generally considered scummy play. ...Which is also related to lurking, in a sense.
If you saw someone doing something scummy, would you consider voting? Or would you just sit there and do nothing?
@Tawa (can I shorten your name to this? It sorta means 'laugh' in my language if so. And sounds nicely cute. :p)
You're already not voting and don't need to redden you...not voting.
Unless you mean to not vote anyone, ever.
Why would you do that, if I'm correct in guessing your intent?
Also please don't forget this thread. It has dwarves and DF in it! D:

TDS
Wherein this consequence lies in 'Show us where your honor lies and face the wall for this set amount of time'?
One turn or two.
-snip-
So no, not much. The Jail sentence equals an absence of 2 whole turns, which means if one was sentenced this twilight, s/he'd appear on D4, if I'm not mistaken. Given the 13/3 setup and assuming that nobody votes for hammering..and the hammer isn't a vigilante given this context, we lose 2 people each day (lynch/NK), and a D4 note seems like a very possible thing, regardless of other factors.

...So yeah.

While I do notice you didn't mention any specific time (and ask why you didn't), I'd also say why do you ask my opinion about my vote ahead of time-what will that do for you?

I asked for a time, just a general one in the form of "Is it ever a good idea?". Also, I disagree with you, because a beating would remove someone from the immediately occurring night, too. Also, jailing would seem to be worse for the town than the scum, since jailed people can't come back for two nights rather than one. This would keep town out of the game longer and delay a scum lynch. What are your thoughts on this?

As for the reason I asked you, it was to see what your take on the voting system is and help get a discussion going.
...Isn't it also detrimental (worse for scum, even) due to 'hey, we know who this dude is and he's scum! One-up for the death block later!)
Also, I disagree with you, because a beating would remove someone from the immediately occurring night, too
Wehh? Really? *reads again for the 7th time*
Absence for a turn means missing the immediately following night and the next day night cycle.
Absence for two turns removes the player from the game for the next night and the next two day night cycles.
Wait. Oh. So the Beating gets them back at Twilight, yet they don't get to be lynched during the day. Huh.
Jailing...wait.
4mask: Clarify the Absence for two turns please. It looks like it only excludes the jailed person from the night proceeding twilight, Yet it lets them act DURING the twilight/night of the proceeding day, and the next day after that. Meaning: D1 = Jail, they can act on D2/3 twilight/night.

Now I'm really in favor of Beating/Hammering instead. >.>
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35