Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 77981 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 08:57:51 pm »

Graknorke:
It really depends on the circumstances.  Day one: nolynch vote, there is no reason to not lynch.  However, there are many instances where the risk of lynching town is higher than the reward of lynching scum, and a nolynch vote can avoid that consequence.  Total lack of a vote from a player is highly suspicious, particularly during the RVS.
But is there really so much difference between a nolynch vote and the absense of a vote? Both lead to the same result, most of the time.

Now, In your PPE, you say that avoiding the spotlight is considered a major scumtell. However, the questions specifically asks about an UNIMPORTANT question.  Is it still a scumtell if they give a very brief answer to an irrelevant question?
Really it's up to the person asking the question how important it is. Unless the person asking the question is being openly antagonistic and asking pointless questions, I don't imagine that they'd ask questions without any reason whatsoever. And if you are so sure it's irrelevant, at least explain why you think that rather than just brushing the question off.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 09:09:29 pm »

a follow-up question:
If one person claims cop and says they inspected some and found they were scum, and then another person claimed and said that they were the cop, what would your reaction be?
I would be more inclined to believe the second person, and think that the first was scum, bussing their teammate. Claiming cop in a situation like that would draw attention, so I don't think scum would do that, and I can't think of a reason why a vanilla townie or jailer would lie about that.
Why would they necessarily be bussing their teammates? Maybe they're trying to get a town player lynched so they can win?

PPE:
Persus13; you - like mastahcheese - seem to think it's important that your questions are answered. What do you hope to glean from these seemingly irrelevant questions? I don't think it particularly matters what Mafia LARD is experienced with.
There's only one way to find scum, and that's by getting other players to talk. The best way to do this is by asking Mafia-related questions, to not only get other players to talk, but to get information or pressure on them. The scum have to keep up their town façade, and if you pressure and probe and question right, you can get that façade to slip. That is IC advice, and you can trust it 100%.

As for why I asked the LARD what Mafia he was experienced with. Mafia is different depending on where it's played. How its played on Bay12 can be very different from how its played in real life, and in other forums. His response on what Mafia he's experienced with tells me a little about what I can expect from him. Would you hire someone without knowing his resume?

Everyone: You are the jailkeeper, and the cop has claimed and been proven right.  Do you protect them or no?
I'd try to figure out if he said anything that could point to him being a scum, then decide on what to do.
You have done fairly well answering questions, but this one you need to answer a little more clearly.

Also, do you have any reads of who is scum and who is town? If not, how do you plan on getting info?

Persus13
Mastahcheese:
Question to everyone: What would be your preferred alignment, town or scum. Why?
Scum, because I find it more fun. [1] Now what's the point of this question?

Persus13: A player is lurking, and someone points it out after only a day, and votes them. How would you view such an action? Why?
This depends on the situation. I also assume you mean real-time days and that I'm town. [2] What was the lurker doing prior to lurking? [3] Is he currently voting anyone? [4] Is the vote on the lurker a pressure vote or a lynch vote? [5] If a lynch vote, is it solely because of lurking or are their other reasons? [6] Does the person voting have better uses for their vote? All these questions would determine what I would do. If it was a pressure vote, I'd wouldn't care that much. If it was a lynch vote, I'd probably view that as suspicious.

Question to everyone: What would be your preferred role? Why?
[7] A role that gives me something to do at night. Because it is more fun.
[1] It gives me something to cross check later. If people are in a role they enjoy, it would be logical to conclude that they would put more effort into playing, as they have more invested in it. It can help, particularly later on.
[2-6] Yes, I meant 1 RL day, with you as town. I like the litany of counter-questions. I'll keep note of that.
[2] Let's say he answered a couple of RVS questions, but nothing else so far.
[3] Let's say no.
[4] Hmm, let's say they tell the person to get in here, a vote them, but it's not clear what the tone is.
[5] Let's say it's just for lurking, and lacking  better lead.
[6] Hmm, let's say there are some arguments going on that they could join in on, but choose not to.
[7] So I guess a scum rolecop would be your top choice?
[4] That is something I have no problem with, as I've done that myself in the past.
[7] No. I'd rather have a simpler role.

Assume it replaced by the following hypothetical question:
There are 4 players left including you, and one scum has been lynched so far. Each of you has been , for whatever reason, trying particularly hard to push one other, creating a loop of accusation. Nobody shifts from their view and there is a no-lynch tie. During the night, the player who you were neither voting for nor voted for you is hit by the NK. Does this change your opinion on who the traitor is or do you stick with your previous vote (the player who was voting for the now-dead one)?
My primary target would be myself. Scum should best avoid targeting people who have you as their primary target, or ones you are scumhunting. If I was town or scum, I would go after the person who suspected me, given the fact that they were being attacked by the dead player.

Persus13  I'm going to go out on a limb a bit for a newby and start pressuring you.
Great. Pressuring people is a great first step. Maybe next time you should vote the person you are trying to pressure to put a little bit more on.

I do want to know why your first post started with:
Hello all, I'm your friendly IC here. The goal of this game for town is to find the scum. That means asking questions, following up on those questions, and scumhunting people in order to figure out who is scum and who is town. If you're are scum, the goal of the game is to get town to lynch people that aren't you. That means asking questions, following up on those questions, and scumhunting people.

It seems to me that you're taking advantage of the fact that we are new and trying to put yourself in a mentor/guide role to us, putting yourself in a great position for a mafia and if you were a townie, a great position to be mafia-killed first. I find that a bit suspicious.
The reason I am acting as a sort of mentor/guide role, is because that's my job for this game. To get you used to Mafia, or at least Bay12 Mafia. While I am a player in this game, I also am here to act as your guide. When I give you IC advice, I assure you that you can trust it. You may not trust me, but you can trust the advice. This does not neccesarily mean what I say that isn't italics isn't trustworthy, merely that how much you trust in that is up to you.[/i](Those last few sentences in italics were IC advice. From now on, IC advice will be in italics)

About to get kicked off the computer, more in a few hours.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »

This was a bit of a trap for you,4maskwolf because I gave you a way to escape my question, namely the gamestarter excuse. The fact that you used it shows that you neither thought very long about your response, nor had an original answer of your own. That is making me even more suspicious of you. So it was a trap, Not a very mafia-specific trap, but a trap nonetheless.

It isn't all that scummy, because it just shows that the answerer doesn't think the question merit's much thought. If they clarify themselves later on, that is scummy because they are giving a rehearsed answer and not the impulsive one the question was aiming for.
These two statements contradict each other very nicely. On the one hand you're lashing out at 4mask for not having an answer prepared, and in the next breath you're defending your own vague answers by saying that it's bad to have prepared your answers.

So, LARD, care to explain this dissonance? Not able to keep track of the different threads of the conversation while trying to also keep them in your favour, perhaps?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 09:47:14 pm »

TDS: Which is more important as town: to stay alive, or to try and lay the seeds for others to find scum and be killed for it?  Why?

Staying alive is a really low priority as town. Really, scumhunting is the best thing you can do. Some scumhunting is gathering information, and that will probably not get you killed if you are careful - you are just reading. Other scumhunting involves posting suspicions, and that kind of thing can get you killed. However, explaining your information to other people is better than not saying anything and living - the scum probably know it already anyway.

TDS, in your answer to 4maskwolf's question, you mentioned the cop asking you to protect them. In that situation, would you also announce that you were the jailkeeper and protecting them, or would you just do it?

I would just do it. Announcing myself would make me the first target and the rolecop the second target. I might make a request for the jailor to defend him, though (or get someone else to do it).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 10:15:42 pm »

All right. I will finish my train of thought on 4maskwolf first

Okay.  I have two things to say:
One: well played, sir
Two: back to the in-game, I'm not sure what that tells you.  Because it was a gamestarter: there was nothing more to it.  There was next to no probability that a question I tossed out in the two minutes I had would turn up a scum, but the way people respond to my questions tells me a lot about them.  Even though I knew that I wouldn't be able to post for a while afterwards, it is good to get some interaction going.
Now, back to you.  First, you try to introduce WIFOM into the answer of a question that was close to yes or no.  That I can overlook: it was a beginner mistake, and the question wasn't really that much of a scumhunt.  However, for the future, WIFOM usage after day 1, and even sometimes during day one, can be considered a scumtell by some people.  Second: you didn't need to say that it was a trap.  The point you make seems fair, but you should have/ should now pursue it agressively.
Alright, alright, enough pretending to be an IC.

LARD: You seem to place a lot of weight on the questions having been answered "in the moment" in that last post.  However, this is a forum, and people can take as long as they want to think through their posts.  How, if any, would that change your gameplan?

First  of all, how politely condensing of you. It's very suspicious as well. For starters you are trying to belittle my opinion by setting yourself as an "IC" above me. Thank you as well for the "well played" it means more to me than you know. [sniff] In all seriousness though, I feel like I have you on the run. You are only throwing rudimentary accusations back at me. I will not be using WIFOM's again, because they are useless. Now 4maskwolf I will pursue it agressively.

As for your question, I believe that the longer you leave an accusation unanswered, the more the opinion will turn against you. Therefore one feels pressured to respond, and when one feels pressure, one acts impulsively. Does that answer your question?

Now as to the more serious slight on my character that Graknorke has made.
The point was not that vagueness was not a scum tell, we had already established that it is. I was saying that for seemingly irrelevant questions, vagueness is less of a scum tell. The point I was making was that correction of oneself, that is scummy.  If you had read my words carefully, you would have seen that I accused 4mask of copying my words and not using his own thoughts. They didn't have to be prepared thoughts.
I would however like to eat these words on this one, right here, right now.
It isn't all that scummy, because it just shows that the answerer doesn't think the question merit's much thought. If they clarify themselves later on, that is scummy because they are giving a rehearsed answer and not the impulsive one the question was aiming for.

Sorry about the confusion. But I don't want to be accused of contradicting myself every time I clarify myself. If you think that this is scummy, fair enough, but I don't think it merits a big investigation. I would do it whether I was scum or not for the above reason.
But first answers are still more valuable than their clarifications. I hope that is reasonable.
I realize that i will have to clarify myself if people like Graknorke are going to be misinterpreting and casting votes based on their misinterpretations. (I'm not bitter, and I'm glad this game is getting interesting. Cheers. But I'm also not going to keep saying this, so never take me attempting to rip into you as me actually being mad. )

I was considering voting for Graknorke, as he is jumping on me for accusing 4mask, but his concerns are legitimate and I deserve to be pressured for that one.

P.S. If anyone is getting annoyed at typing my username all caps, I won't be offended if you use small letters. I just haven't got around to changing it.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:09 pm »

Okay.  I have two things to say:
One: well played, sir
Two: back to the in-game, I'm not sure what that tells you.  Because it was a gamestarter: there was nothing more to it.  There was next to no probability that a question I tossed out in the two minutes I had would turn up a scum, but the way people respond to my questions tells me a lot about them.  Even though I knew that I wouldn't be able to post for a while afterwards, it is good to get some interaction going.
Now, back to you.  First, you try to introduce WIFOM into the answer of a question that was close to yes or no.  That I can overlook: it was a beginner mistake, and the question wasn't really that much of a scumhunt.  However, for the future, WIFOM usage after day 1, and even sometimes during day one, can be considered a scumtell by some people.  Second: you didn't need to say that it was a trap.  The point you make seems fair, but you should have/ should now pursue it agressively.
Alright, alright, enough pretending to be an IC.

LARD: You seem to place a lot of weight on the questions having been answered "in the moment" in that last post.  However, this is a forum, and people can take as long as they want to think through their posts.  How, if any, would that change your gameplan?

First  of all, how politely condensing of you. It's very suspicious as well. For starters you are trying to belittle my opinion by setting yourself as an "IC" above me. Thank you as well for the "well played" it means more to me than you know. [sniff] In all seriousness though, I feel like I have you on the run. You are only throwing rudimentary accusations back at me. I will not be using WIFOM's again, because they are useless. Now 4maskwolf I will pursue it agressively.

As for your question, I believe that the longer you leave an accusation unanswered, the more the opinion will turn against you. Therefore one feels pressured to respond, and when one feels pressure, one acts impulsively. Does that answer your question?

The point was not that vagueness was not a scum tell, we had already established that it is. I was saying that for seemingly irrelevant questions, vagueness is less of a scum tell. The point I was making was that correction of oneself, that is scummy.  If you had read my words carefully, you would have seen that I accused 4mask of copying my words and not using his own thoughts. They didn't have to be prepared thoughts.
I would however like to eat these words on this one, right here, right now.

Sorry about the confusion. But I don't want to be accused of contradicting myself every time I clarify myself. If you think that this is scummy, fair enough, but I don't think it merits a big investigation. I would do it whether I was scum or not for the above reason.
But first answers are still more valuable than their clarifications. I hope that is reasonable.
I realize that i will have to clarify myself if people like Graknorke are going to be misinterpreting and casting votes based on their misinterpretations. (I'm not bitter, and I'm glad this game is getting interesting. Cheers. But I'm also not going to keep saying this, so never take me attempting to rip into you as me actually being mad. )

I was considering voting for Graknorke, as he is jumping on me for accusing 4mask, but his concerns are legitimate and I deserve to be pressured for that one.

P.S. If anyone is getting annoyed at typing my username all caps, I won't be offended if you use small letters. I just haven't got around to changing it.
erm...
I was trying to seriously congratulate you on the trap, and to just give some friendly advice.  I did not mean to set myself above you as an IC, as I am not one.  The only use of the word IC by me was telling myself not to pretend to be one.  You apparently took my answers completely the wrong way...
Also, you didn't actually ask me a question there.  You voted me and moved on to the next thing.  Which is how a scum would play it: vote someone, then proceed to move on as if it was no big deal, LARD.
In the meantime: yes, you answered my question.  That is a valid point, but this is also a forum game, and breaks of hours between someone posting are not uncommon.  There are some people who post more often, but what is thirty minutes of think time in a game like this?  That being said, it does hold some bearing, particularly as the day winds down.  Is this your first time playing any forum mafia?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2014, 12:42:59 am »

There are 4 players left including you, and one scum has been lynched so far. Each of you has been , for whatever reason, trying particularly hard to push one other, creating a loop of accusation. Nobody shifts from their view and there is a no-lynch tie. During the night, the player who you were neither voting for nor voted for you is hit by the NK. Does this change your opinion on who the traitor is or do you stick with your previous vote (the player who was voting for the now-dead one)?
First, I'd wait to see if anyone tried to push blame/suspicion on the one that was voting the NKed target, as it was likely a set-up.

TheDarkStar
mastahcheese: You have played several games. What do you think is the most important thing to look for to find scum?
Well, I've only played 1 game to completion so far. I think the most important thing to look for in finding scum are contradictions, and inherently faulty logic. There are others, but I think those two are the biggest ones I've seen.

LARD
Everyone  Ambiguous answers, are they scummy?
I think so, yes. They give the impression of providing information, while not being helpful, and wasting the time of the person who asked the question.

Unvote DarkPaladin, he didn't try to give some lame excuse for a lack of informative answer.

Also, I'd like a votecount, please.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2014, 01:55:09 am »

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

This IC is late for the party.

However before I begin, I ask an imperative.

Everyone: What is your favorite subject in Mafia? Favorite notion to talk about?
What do you not understand about Forum Mafia? What about your least favorite notion?

Also, Persus is the better advisor than me but still: If any of you have general questions--don't be afraid to ask!

Hey Persus! I'll play the Snarky Cop and you play the Good Cop as our IC roles, you ok with that?

4mask
Everyone: You are the jailkeeper, and the cop has claimed and been proven right.  Do you protect them or no?
I assume this is by us lynching said person, yes?
My choice lies in the state of day-varying by the context given, yet my protection on the cop will depend on the judgement on two things:
> Situational judgement on how deep the game is going and the player disposition//cop attitude
and
> Whether or not said Cop has backing in said claim. For all I could know, this would be a perfect setup to get the one 'bussed' - yes, it may be a push to further the group goal instead of an individual goal - to get the latter to score for the team.
As for a general answer: I'm leaning on yes.

Why do you ask me a general question with no specific situation?

Mr Cheese
All right, let's find us some scum.
Such enthusiasm, T-800.
Tiruin: You're scum. Your scumbuddy happened to draw some suspicion due to some of their behavior, but not enough to get lynched. Would they be any particular type of person you'd try to kill in the night at this point? Why? How would you proceed for the next day? Why?
When 'at this point' means 'Day', I presume?
Well I'd target the investigative voices-those which treat the situation with a generalist attitude. Those of probing hints or curious motive--all due because I am to either Rolecop/kill them. For the next day, I will deliberate with said buddy-point out his flaws, probably give hints on what s/he's to do in that matter, and in the next day I shall prod them on the matter--moreso because its an aid to the person regardless of their role and it helps them learn instead of going all aggressive on them.
Why? My playstyle. I side with benevolence no matter what alignment I am on.

Did you ask that question to learn more about me?
Question to everyone: What would be your preferred role? Why?
No preference. Why? Because my playstyle doesn't depend on my role--whatever ability exists in said role is but a tool I can work with-sure, my playstyle could conform to how I use said tool, but it has no direct relation to why I have this role nor on why I'd like it.
For me, the role or the wincon doesn't define the player but their [the player's] principles.

Why do you ask?

Graknorke:
Why hello there good chap! Extremely pleased to see you in this quadrant. What brings you to the Mafia board and why did you decide to join up here?
Nextly, how would you discern a scumtell from a towntell? Many people make mistakes, don't you agree?
Also, what is your opinion on metaknowledge?
Lastly, if a person is an IC-for this context only-does it have any...value to you? Will someone who is an IC be different from a player?

4mask
Tiruin: You are vanilla town, and two players are pushing you pretty hard on day one.  One of those players dies N1.  Do you believe that the last player is scum?
It all depends on the situation and their context of pushing me around. I mean, for all reasons in mind, I could see the discussion this way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All jokingness aside, No. It depends on how they did so, and how I'd use the day to follow up on the other person pushing me, as well as on what  or how they come about their logical basis. Pretty general for an answer, yes, but that is the crux of how I go--there are many situations to which I can respond differently, and there my answer lies.

Why should I believe the last player is scum?

LARD
I believe your name is an acronym of sorts, yes?

Anyways

If the cop claimed and was proven right, I would not protect him. The mafia would assume I would and attack somebody else. But this is counterproductive, because the mafia see how we all respond and whoever they think is the jailkeeper, they now get to see how they respond. 4maskwolf, Why would you ask such and obviously scum benefiting question?
[...]
Note 1: Quote or link the post you're answering. In any game, this speeds up people understanding you 100%! That's really good for everyone. :)
> If you can't Insert the Quote, look for the symbol and just copy paste. Please do not use the Quick Reply function unless you're responding in general or the one you're responding to is the last post (and you address them properly, possibly bolding their name () and stuff.

Note 2: 'The mafia would assume I would'?
Really now.
The Mafia knows there is a Jailkeeper, huh?

Like the one I give you now?

Shakerag
...You aren't serious right? :S
You'll never know.
Give me your shovel. Now. >:I

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 03:18:50 am »

darkpaladin109 are you having fun? (this one is actually important)
Yeah.
darkpaladin109: When do you think it's a good idea to roleclaim and reveal your findings as a rolecop?
Yes, but I would first make sure everyone trusts me.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 04:06:40 am »

Day 1 Continues...

[1] Graknorke: Persus13
[1] Persus13: TheDarkStar
[2] LARD: Graknorke, Tiruin
[1] 4maskwolf: LARD

Day 1 will end Tuesday 12:00 PM MST.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 04:46:30 am »

-snip-

First  of all, how politely condensing of you. It's very suspicious as well. For starters you are trying to belittle my opinion by setting yourself as an "IC" above me.[...]
So as a quick note: People will also consider giving advice (if snarky or not) in regular games. :)

Now, onto this point: When I read the post in mention, I detect a feeling of...resentment? Agitation. Irritation.
Has what 4mask mentioned so aggravating that you react as such?

Why do you vote 4mask, to be blunt?

You deserve to be pressured...for accusing 4mask? Am I getting this right?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:26 am »

darkpaladin109 are you having fun? (this one is actually important)
Yeah.
darkpaladin109: When do you think it's a good idea to roleclaim and reveal your findings as a rolecop?
Yes, but I would first make sure everyone trusts me.
...The affirmative in the second statement is..err, it does not match the question. ^ ^

So you would see a good idea to roleclaim...when everyone trusts you. How will you know of that time?
And could you expound (ie explain more on-) why you explicitly answered the note of a 'rolecop'?

Also do note the general Everyone question I posted earlier, thanks. :)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2014, 06:00:06 am »

Alright, this may be a long post because I have a lot to respond to. Also, I would appreciate it if people responded to my last post, since I asked several people questions.

At this point, we are considered to have left RVS (Random Vote Stage), since both LARD and Gracknorke appear to have placed lynch votes on targets. At this point you can definitely still ask and answer questions, but the focus should be less on asking hypothetical questions, and more on what's happening in the game, as you have enough information to start making judgments about who is scum and who is town. (Although you don't know if that judgment will be correct)

Darkpaladin109: On my last post, I asked you a couple of questions. I would like them answered.

LARD:
I dunno if claiming WIFOM for a bunch of answers is a scummy thing to do, but it just doesn't seem like we know without more info. I know you don't like receiving answers that just say, "we can't know" but there you are.
Generally when you're town, you shouldn't care about whether you appear scummy. This is a scumtell, and makes me suspicious of you.

It depends. This one of many things in Mafia are situational.

TheDarkStar:
Persus13: If you were scum, would you target people who suspected you or people who didn't suspect you first?
I'd go after people who I thought were good players who were slightly suspicious of scum players, but didn't have one as their primary target. This way, no one gets suspicious that the guy who was actively pursuing me died in the night.

Graknorke:
Efforts to be unnoticed are what I'd be looking out for the most. I'm not a big fan of the policy some players having of lynching somebody just for lurking, but when somebody is clearly making an active attempt to stay out of scrutiny, it seems like something scum would do.
What do you mean by looking unnoticed? Why do not like policy lynches on lurkers? Who in this game is trying to be unnoticed to you?

Lard:\
I believe your case on 4maskwolf is making a mountain out of molehill. The fact is that 4maskwolf asked the question as a game starter question, and so stating that fact is a legitimate response.

Just a friendly reminder that this is a game. While some people may say mean things in this game, it doesn't necessarily mean that they mean them.

Tiruin:
Everyone: What is your favorite subject in Mafia? Favorite notion to talk about?
What do you not understand about Forum Mafia? What about your least favorite notion?

Also, Persus is the better advisor than me but still: If any of you have general questions--don't be afraid to ask!

Hey Persus! I'll play the Snarky Cop and you play the Good Cop as our IC roles, you ok with that?
Does this mean I can't be snarky? Ah well. I'm fine with being the good cop though.

Favorite subject in Mafia? Using quantitative data to find scum and its success rat. Favorite Notion? Lurkers.
I don't understand how some people seem to not be able to read sometimes. My least favorite notion to talk about is people thinking I'm scum when I am not.

Also, was your vote on LARD a pressure vote or a lynch vote?

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08:06 am »

I was considering voting for Graknorke, as he is jumping on me for accusing 4mask,
If I am scum and somebody is attacking me, I probably will attack them. It looks suspicious and I generally look suspicious when I play these games.
Okay, I'm starting to appreciate those gamestarter questions from earlier on.
So LARD, you're explicitly avoiding an action you have said would make you look suspicious? That's pretty scummy in itself.
And your reason was way off anyway. I didn't jump on you for accusing 4mask, it was for holding two differing viewpoints. And then you clarified your answer, but you still seem to be making a suspiciously specific conclusion as to why I was pressuring you, even though I stated otherwise. It's almost like you think I think you have something against 4mask. Care to explain why?

Favourite 'subject'? I suppose recognising a townvtown fight is a good one, because it can be hard to tell the difference between two townies getting aggravated at each other, and scum trying to get a townie lynched and being called out over it.
As for what I don't understand, it's apparently how the night phase works. As in, I know that some people get to make actions but I don't know much beyond the basic way they work.

Graknorke:
[1]Why hello there good chap! Extremely pleased to see you in this quadrant. What brings you to the Mafia board and why did you decide to join up here?
[2]Nextly, how would you discern a scumtell from a towntell? Many people make mistakes, don't you agree?
[3]Also, what is your opinion on metaknowledge?
[4]Lastly, if a person is an IC-for this context only-does it have any...value to you? Will someone who is an IC be different from a player?
  • I saw enough mentions of Mafia games around General Discussion and wanted to know what all the fuss was about. As it turns out, it's rather fun.
  • While people do make mistakes, there's still a difference between a scummy action and an action that simply fails to benefit town. For example, the difference between vehemently defending a player and just placing doubt on any accusations against anybody.
  • Metaknowledge as in? Knowing the possible sutup of the game or what? It's not like Mafia is a roleplaying game, and really having a full understanding of the rules and possible roles and how many mafia members there are and so in is critical in the game actually working.
  • I'd like to say that I would treat them the same (outside of IC advice), but honestly I'd probably both be more scrutinous but also less likely to bother an IC, because I know they have a considerable amount of experience.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2014, 06:41:52 am »

Graknorke:
Efforts to be unnoticed are what I'd be looking out for the most. I'm not a big fan of the policy some players having of lynching somebody just for lurking, but when somebody is clearly making an active attempt to stay out of scrutiny, it seems like something scum would do.
What do you mean by looking unnoticed? Why do not like policy lynches on lurkers? Who in this game is trying to be unnoticed to you?

Also, was your vote on LARD a pressure vote or a lynch vote?
Sorry Persus, missed that you asked me a question. I'll answer the one about LARD too because it applies to me.

By 'looking unnoticed', I mean when people act in a way that shows that they're active, but they're not actually contributing or putting themselves in a position where they would be targeted. Generally doing their best to not be considered as a candidate for lynching. It's not grounds for a lynch on its own, but definitely grounds for further pressure.
I don't like policy lynches on lurkers because Mafia is a game of numbers, and having a useless townie is still better than not. As far as I'm concerned, lurker policy lynches are more about deterring people from lurking and removing the hassle of having to work out an actual day1 lynch than it is about winning.
The player I'd say most avoiding attention is darkpaladin. He's made a few very short posts with no content in them. Though he might pick up again later and has only been posting like that because of some circumstances or other. Solymr hasn't posted since the very start of the game, but an absence of posts isn't as bad as contentless posts.

As for my vote on LARD, it was initially a pressure vote and I was to take it off when he answered, but the answer left me wanting more, so I'm leaving my vote where it is for now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31