Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 4: Within the Walls.  (Read 17681 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1: Ready, Steady...
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2014, 10:54:52 am »

"As for actual plan, surrounding base in semi-circle, shooting everyone in the vinicity and breaching into compound with fireworks, as suggested by John, is probably our best alternative to a risky complete encircling and some other plans. I would add to it that we can send a small group - no more than three people - to provide backup fire from the other side. Sitting still, they will get quite a great view of guards backs after our initial breach"
"That might work. It is quite high-profile and we don't know how many hostiles will respond to an alarm, but we need to do something." As I'm already in a good position, start picking off enemies after everyone has got in position as is ready.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Nunzillor

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:27 am »

"If that's what we are doing, can I recommend the south or north walls for the breach?  They have fewer guards.

"Also, perhaps we should wait and observe the enemy's patrol area (if any), and changing of shifts?  We may have certain assumptions right now regarding those important pieces of intel, but as my uncle used to say, 'assumptions are the sum of um and negative ions.' 

...Yes, he was a very strange man."

((Edited for wait-and-see suggestion and very strange story))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:59:27 am by Nunzillor »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2014, 11:43:24 am »

"I'll remain on my current position at northwest corner, then. If something goes awry - feel free to cry for help. Heh."

Action: continue observation until something really bad happens or plan goes smoothly enough to reach second stage
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:52 pm »

"My plan was to blow a hole in the wall with rockets, while snipers took out guards in the towers. That would attract a lot of attention in that area, and then some people could sneak over the back. Also, this place probably has a gate."
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:39 pm »

(( I was thinking more sneak people inside before the alarm goes off rather then try to sneak them in when the guards are on alert. ))
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »

"Well, I am already on the north wall, so couldn't we mostly attack from the south while a few of us attack from up here?
Cover the walls, see if I can get high enough to see inside.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2014, 07:14:41 pm »

"As for actual plan, surrounding base in semi-circle, shooting everyone in the vinicity and breaching into compound with fireworks, as suggested by John, is probably our best alternative to a risky complete encircling and some other plans. I would add to it that we can send a small group - no more than three people - to provide backup fire from the other side. Sitting still, they will get quite a great view of guards backs after our initial breach"
"That might work. It is quite high-profile and we don't know how many hostiles will respond to an alarm, but we need to do something." As I'm already in a good position, start picking off enemies after everyone has got in position as is ready.
John nods in agreement with this plan. He had been thinking along similar lines.

"I agree. We could leave our two sniper friends behind, so they can take out any guards trying to come in behind us. They won't know where the fire is coming from. We have demolitions, right? Let's blow a hole in the south wall, and get moving. We don't know if these guys have reinforcements coming, or if they'll even change guard within the next couple'a ours."

Circle to base to get on the south side, and wait for our demo guy to attempt the breach. after our snipers get into position.

Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Nunzillor

« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2014, 10:13:40 pm »

"Sounds like a plan.  I'll head to the treeline just before the south wall until everyone is in position.  Once the breach goes off and we have some distracting fire from the north, I'll move in with the rest of the southerners.  Sounds good?"

Jack grimly prepares for certain death as he heads to the tree-line south of the battery, being sure to not give away his position.  When the wall is breached, he will put a GAFG in each hand and sprint inside the compound.  He will then pull the pins and throw one grenade each at two of the three enemies waiting inside.  He'll decide the rest of the plan once he has completed these actions in the unlikely event of his success.

((Note: please disregard my previous action.  I'll go back and strike it out.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 2: Not 'Go' Yet? Oops.
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:54 am »

Mission 1, Turn 2: Not 'Go' yet? Oops.

Stealthily, try to get within a reasonable shooting range and report visuals back to my squadmates.
You don't really see anything new, except for the fact that the base likes placing a heavy machinegun in each corner and two in the middle of each wall. It's like they enjoy being heavily armed or something. And yes, I did omit this information. I'm just saying, but you guys should probably take out guards. It really does help.

"Well kids, I guess that's why you eat your space-Cheerios," Jack nervously mumbled to himself.

Steal the corpse's GAFGs... solemnly.  Then, head just before the treeline to where the others are.  Wait a bit to see if they explode or otherwise die.[/s]
"Sounds like a plan.  I'll head to the treeline just before the south wall until everyone is in position.  Once the breach goes off and we have some distracting fire from the north, I'll move in with the rest of the southerners.  Sounds good?"

Jack grimly prepares for certain death as he heads to the tree-line south of the battery, being sure to not give away his position.  When the wall is breached, he will put a GAFG in each hand and sprint inside the compound.  He will then pull the pins and throw one grenade each at two of the three enemies waiting inside.  He'll decide the rest of the plan once he has completed these actions in the unlikely event of his success.

((Note: please disregard my previous action.  I'll go back and strike it out.))
Well, you get your grenades, and you start heading south. [4+1] You manage to do so without being spotted, and wait for the breach. It would seem that your teammates aren't ready yet.

Or, at least that's what you think, as two shots ring out across the landscape, obviously coming from a higher-caliber rifle.

(I don't think a Normal Model will wok for the guard distribution. A t-model might though.)

Spot a good place to blow a hole in the fort with my rockets.

((Indeed, you are right about the t-model being better, what with the means and all. Anyway, the turn.))
Well, as to where you want to aim, you might want to aim to the south, and probably in the vicinity of one of the turrets. That being said, whether you want to aim at a corner or at part of the wall closer to you is your choice.

Aand thats about when your teammates start firing.

Wait until nobody else is looking at 1 of the corners then put down both guards with AP rounds try to spot any vehicles I can.
[1] Everyone looks away from the north corner while the two guards keep looking out into the darkness. [5+4] [4+1v1] [6+4-1v1] [4+1v4] The first shot fires from your rifle perfectly, punching straight through the close guard's helmet and entirely exploding his head in a rather... messy fashion. The second shot also lands perfectly, the guards partner stumbling as he tries to duck for cover and falling right into the path of the bullet meant for him. Unfortunately, the bullet happens to only catch him in the left shoulder, and as such, while you do blow his arm off and he starts losing blood fast- he'll die without assistance- he's not dead yet.

Sit and wait. If something makes the guards on my part of the wall leave, try to sneak in.
Well. Here's the issue with guards. There are three spread out across the side of the wall closest to you, and only one leaves to reinforce the corner, ducking below the lip of the wall in a fast dash. So that leaves two people still standing. That doesn't quite count as 'leaving, I should think.

Approach the battery. Try to stay out of the range of enemy turrets and such.
[5+1] You get to the treeline without incident, though you are most certainly within range of the mounted machineguns now.
((Did I miss you last turn? :( Sorry if I did.))

You see your teammate up North open fire, or at least the results of his fire, and almost join in yourself, but decide to wait until your nearby teammates are ready. At least he'll make a good diversion.

"I'll remain on my current position at northwest corner, then. If something goes awry - feel free to cry for help. Heh."

Action: continue observation until something really bad happens or plan goes smoothly enough to reach second stage
Well, does having two enemy guards get killed/maimed and having the rest of the contingent put on alert count as really bad? I'm honestly not sure. I'd have to hear your opinion.

"Well, I am already on the north wall, so couldn't we mostly attack from the south while a few of us attack from up here?
Cover the walls, see if I can get high enough to see inside.
Well, you're covering the walls, and you're high enough to see inside, which also happens to be high up enough to see Georgia open fire and the rest of the compound go on alert. Ah well. There goes the element of surprise.

John nods in agreement with this plan. He had been thinking along similar lines.

"I agree. We could leave our two sniper friends behind, so they can take out any guards trying to come in behind us. They won't know where the fire is coming from. We have demolitions, right? Let's blow a hole in the south wall, and get moving. We don't know if these guys have reinforcements coming, or if they'll even change guard within the next couple'a ours."

Circle to base to get on the south side, and wait for our demo guy to attempt the breach. after our snipers get into position.

Well, as it so happens, Georgia has opened fire before the rest of the team was ready to go. Oops.

Guards: [5+1] ........... Welp. The guards hop on machineguns and start searching for targets.

Have fun, folks.

Spoiler: GM Comments (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet
Current Map (Orange ovals are live enemies. Red ovals are dead enemies/civilians. Blue ovals are incapacitated enemies/civilians. Yellow ovals are live civilians.)

In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:36 am »

Throw my smoke, away from where I or anyone else is hiding, then start sniping, prioritising the gunners.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2014, 02:34:09 am »

((It's not really about pulling this off - we can, no problem. But tactics! Fucking tactics! We could have at least tried :-\))

"..."
Deidra slaps her palm onto visor with a sign as bullets go wild.
"Georgia? Thank you sincerely for messing up."
Well, there is no time for curses now.
"I'll take out those near corner."

Action: snipe guars from the nearest (or farthest, if someone tries to take my targets) machine gun and make sure that those close to them have their share of fun too.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:38:14 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2014, 06:46:46 am »

(( The tactics were you all try to walk up to the wall covered in heavy machineguns manned by people with IR goggles. They'd have seen you before you got close given that to them your going to literally glow like neon signs. ))

Target the people on machineguns that are pointing in the direction of the team first then work my way along the wall, use explosive rounds for the extra shock value. Priority is to protect Nunzillor.

(( What happened to my suppressor lol? ))
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:18:03 pm by PewdsRocks »

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2014, 06:58:47 am »

(( What happened to my suppressor lol? ))
((A suppressor hides the shot, not the body. They don't know where you are yet, but a guard's head exploding and another falling on the ground, screaming is grounds to raise an alarm and start searching for someone.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2014, 07:00:40 am »

((Nope, it were just another two people trying their best to "cooperate" with the rest of us. Plan was in distraction, two-sided assault and heavy confusion. Nevermind. But let's try to do something resembling actual tactics in the next mission.

Suppressor? Well, what about dying one-handed guard, splattering blood everywhere and, undoubtably, shouting on the top of his lungs from unbearable agony? I don't think suppressor covers that.))

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2014, 07:41:24 am »

(( That was about the loud snapping sound heard by Nunzillor when I fired. ))

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12