Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 4: Within the Walls.  (Read 17678 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1: BEGIN!
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2014, 07:51:52 pm »

Get on overwatch, look for friendlies. Then move up with a friendly.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 1: Ready, Steady...
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2014, 12:34:15 am »

Mission 1, Turn 1: Ready, Steady...

Sneak to the edge of the treeline, and hold position, load my weapon with my rocket clip.
You do just that.

Look for high ground that overlooks the base with good sight lines especially over what looks like the enemies ammo dump, go prone and set up my bipod on it using my suit to hide. Begin mapping enemy positions in my head.
You get set up, and settle in with your rifle and all. As far as you can tell, there are about two guards at each corner, and three guards to each side of the wall between the corners.

Sneak to the north, try to find good covered position to observe a walltop. Set up bipod and look for guards
You make it to a handy position that gives you a straight line of sight to the Northwest corner. There are guards, but you don't open fire yet.

Suffer a heart attack.

((This RTD is too complecated for me so I'm dropping out now))
You drop in a heap on the ground, your suit's life support systems trying and failing to stop a catastrophic heart attack from killing you. One man down, and it's the first turn.

As he observes his surroundings, Jack feels himself growing nervous.  This unease only increases when a nearby comrade crumples to the ground, clutching his chest.

"Hey, we have a man down!  Help me out over here!  Anyone have any medical training?"

Jack immediately rushes over to the downed squadmate to render aid.

((Ooc: isn't it true that surveillance infrared technology is much less effective during the day?  I suggest we ask command when the next day cycle will occur on this planet, if it is not already light out.))
You rush over, and attempt to fibrillate him, but you quickly realize that he's too far gone. You could grab his gear, but only if you want to carry it. As you stare uncertainly at his body, a message hisses in over your squad radios- "This is command. Another group had a drop error, so one of their soldiers dropped a bit north of the battery you're assaulting. His name is Everett Owen, and we've delegated him to your team. Try to work well with him."

Head to the south side of the compound in the cover of the trees, set up (AP rounds), start spotting and inform squadmates with whatever communication systems we have.
You head down to the Southwest corner of the base, set up shop, and peer through your scope. The base seems to have a symmetrical guard distribution ((Probably Normal enough to fit the Normal Curve. No? Bad statistics jokes? Anyway, moving on.)), and you report the guard locations on the map so your teammates can see what you do.

Get to the treeline, load AP, look for enemies.
You do that, and in doing so notice that there are actually six more guards patrolling around the gun barrel where it reaches through the surface. Interesting and problematic!

Look for high ground that overlooks the base with good sight lines especially over what looks like the enemies ammo dump, go prone and set up my bipod on it using my suit to hide. Begin mapping enemy positions in my head.
Classic lone wolf.

"Okay guys, how do you want to go about this? I was thinking we..."

John trails off as half the team walks off.

"Okay. That's cool... I guess... Let's all go our own ways..."

Feeling slightly dejected, John starts heading towards the gun. Where are the nearby access points?
"Hey, you can come with me and help me blow my way in."
"Sure. I got you covered."

follow this guy. Provide over watch.
You do that!

Move from cover to cover towards the compound - preferably, at a brisk pace.
You move closer than most of your colleagues, approaching close to the edge of the treeline, [5+1] Managing to remain silent and concealed as possible. You lose visibility in turn, as it's hard to see with trees in the way, but luckily you have your teammates to spot enemies for you.

Get on overwatch, look for friendlies. Then move up with a friendly.

Guards: [1+1]

Spoiler: GM Comments (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet
Current Map (Orange ovals are live enemies. Red ovals are dead enemies/civilians. Blue ovals are incapacitated enemies/civilians. Yellow ovals are live civilians.)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1: Ready, Steady...
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 12:44:43 am »

Stealthily, try to get within a reasonable shooting range and report visuals back to my squadmates.

Nunzillor

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2014, 12:47:28 am »

"Well kids, I guess that's why you eat your space-Cheerios," Jack nervously mumbled to himself.

Steal the corpse's GAFGs... solemnly.  Then, head just before the treeline to where the others are.  Wait a bit to see if they explode or otherwise die.[/s]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:16:22 pm by Nunzillor »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:35 am »

"Ahem. Wish you a good cold midday, comrades. I have a good view here on northwest corner and, well, can kill all three enemies there. Probably. Do we start an assault now or spread a bit to reckon better?"

((Here you go. Hope it's better))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:08:15 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

blazing glory

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2014, 01:00:53 am »

"Ahem. Wish you a good cold midday, comrades. I have a good view here on northwest corner and, well, can kill all three enemies there. Probably. Do we start an assault now or spread a bit to reckon better?"

Can you try a different color?,purple is hard to look at for me,I can't remove this thread from my replies so I'm just watching.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 01:05:57 am »

"We should plan a simultaneous assault, strike them down before they realize what's going on. I count 20 hostiles on the perimeter, 6 patrolling the barrel. That makes 2,889 hostiles per squad member, or 2,6 if the new guy joins in. I say we surround the compound, everyone picks three targets on the perimeter, one patrolling. Then, on mark, we all open fire at our targets. If someone misses, shoot again or have someone else get that target. Then, we see how the situation is and plan more. Does this sound good?"

Can you try a different color?,purple is hard to look at for me,I can't remove this thread from my replies so I'm just watching.
((If you have trouble, highlight the text while reading to make it easier to read.))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2014, 01:12:44 am »

"Quite enough. But I think that best snipers must snipe those near barrel firstly and then move onto wall targets. Now to hear opinions from others."
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

blazing glory

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 02:05:52 am »

Yeah it's easier to see now.

Nunzillor

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 02:30:06 am »

"Works for me.  I, uh, found some extra grenades lying around that I can use.  Ok if I claim the southeastern side?"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:34:57 am by Nunzillor »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 06:30:34 am »

(I don't think a Normal Model will wok for the guard distribution. A t-model might though.)

Spot a good place to blow a hole in the fort with my rockets.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 06:32:28 am »

Wait until nobody else is looking at 1 of the corners then put down both guards with AP rounds try to spot any vehicles I can.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:01:26 am by PewdsRocks »
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 06:47:41 am »

Just start sniping, as we apparently don't have the attention span to go with the plan. EDIT: Time the start of sniping to be the same as that of Georgia. EDIT2: Get into position where I have clear lines to as many enemies as possible. Hold my fire. EDIT3: Action changed, see this post.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:56:09 am by IcyTea31 »

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2014, 07:04:57 am »

(( Think, this is the entire known guard force all out at once, when do they eat or sleep? Who guards at night if the entire force guards all day?

Our Intel on enemy numbers is wrong, though I did make a point of aiming for people who won't be seen and since my weapon is suppressed it won't set off the alarm and opens a blind spot for the rest of you to use in the defenses. ))
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1: BEGIN!
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2014, 07:12:44 am »

(( Think, this is the entire known guard force all out at once, when do they eat or sleep? Who guards at night if the entire force guards all day?

Our Intel on enemy numbers is wrong, though I did make a point of aiming for people who won't be seen and since my weapon is suppressed it won't set off the alarm and opens a blind spot for the rest of you to use in the defenses. ))
There are at least 20 guards on duty at any given time, enough to cover each side of the fence extremely well.
((It is not their whole force, I believe. They probably have around a hundred soldiers total, working in shifts to guard the inside and outside of the compound.))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12