Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - GAME OVER! SCUM WIN!  (Read 58934 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVII: Vampire Coven - Day One
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 07:22:00 pm »

Also, as for questions, I haven't got a lot of time or information at the moment, so coming up with a list of questions for everyone is a bit much. Therefore, I'm just going to pose one question to everyone.

Everybody: Since this is a beginner's game, it's more likely that well-used scumtells will be less effective. What strategies do you think would be best in a situation like this, where players may not know what actions to avoid and which ones to look out for?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 07:44:31 pm »

RangerCado: I am not sure, I have not had enough experience with either of their play-styles or the game itself to make a judgement on that yet.
Which one would you say was the biggest threat?
Kansa: For me personally? Jack would be as I don't know him that well on the forum. This is for both. If I were Scum, I would fear Tiruin the most personally as well, due to her knowing more my style of play.

If you were a Jailer, what would be your criteria for your night 1 target?
RangerCado: After looking at who voted for the lynch target and why (and there had better be a lynch), I would consider multiple possible targets.  If someone was particularly scummy D1, I would most likely jail them, hoping to prevent a kill.  Without a strong read, however, I would most likely jail Tiruin: there is a tendency for BM scumteams to kill ICs.
I say "most likely" in both cases due to the fact that any actual jailing would involve examining far more information than a hypothetical question at the start of D1 can handle.

A question to you: did you think, when asking darkpaladin and Fniff the same question about an ideal scumbuddy, about the potential of the first answerer's answer influencing the second answerer?
Jack: It was mostly due to running out of ideas for questions. I was also distracted elsewhere, shown by asking Fniff two questions and forgetting about tn entirely. The potential is there, but it could also show some interesting information depending on their answers. Do you believe there will be a problem with this?

Everybody: Since this is a beginner's game, it's more likely that well-used scumtells will be less effective. What strategies do you think would be best in a situation like this, where players may not know what actions to avoid and which ones to look out for?
Scripten: I will likely use my usual strategies, but be SLIGHTLY more lenient on my reads. Tells are still tells, and hiding behind the newb screen can only go so far before people don't care anymore and vote you out regardless. Were you planning on hiding behind that screen?
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 07:55:50 pm »

... and two I'm not sure if I'd have the knowledge to ask those questions.
Fniff: It may be helpful to check out the starts of some other games here.  There will usually be some questions you can use as models, or outright reuse.

Also, as for questions, I haven't got a lot of time or information at the moment, so coming up with a list of questions for everyone is a bit much. Therefore, I'm just going to pose one question to everyone.

Scripten: There is no need to make a list of questions for everyone.  It can be useful, but as long as you're asking good questions, you're starting well.
Regarding your question: It is generally a good idea to ask oneself whether observed actions make sense from the actor as a townie.  Furthermore, a scumtell is more than just a piece of evidence.  It is a topic to ask the actor about.  Questions about odd/scummy-looking actions help gather evidence for/against scumhood, and help players evaluate the scumminess of said actions.

The newbie tendency to screw up should be kept in mind when looking at everything, as a contextual factor when determining whether an action makes sense for town.  It should not overwhelm everything, but it must be considered.
Jack: The potential is there, but it could also show some interesting information depending on their answers. Do you believe there will be a problem with this?
RangerCado: I do not think it will have an effect, as Fniff's answer was very personal.  Furthermore, I believe that the chance of influence would not have been a problem in any case.  It's a minor RVS question.

On asking questions directed to "Everybody"/"Everyone": This is not the best idea, as people tend to miss these.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11:01 pm »

An additional note on evaluating newbie actions: This is why I asked all the beginners except tn5421 (who has the info in his sig) about their previous Mafia experience.  Knowing how familiar people are with Mafia, and what style they have played (if any), is useful information to know when evaluating actions.  Inexperience is less of a defense for someone who has played multiple Bay 12 Mafia games than for someone who has never played Mafia before, and someone from MafiaScum is probably more knowledgeable than someone from EpicMafia, for instance.

It's a good idea to be aware of how people answer(ed) the prior experience question.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:16 pm »

Scripten: I will likely use my usual strategies, but be SLIGHTLY more lenient on my reads. Tells are still tells, and hiding behind the newb screen can only go so far before people don't care anymore and vote you out regardless. Were you planning on hiding behind that screen?

Not at all. I couldn't justify hiding behind total inexperience when I've played a couple of games already, and even if I were new, logically explaining my actions would help the town and thus myself, anyway. Such was the case in the last game I played and I don't believe I've seen any reason to not explain myself when confronted.

Scripten: There is no need to make a list of questions for everyone.  It can be useful, but as long as you're asking good questions, you're starting well.
Regarding your question: It is generally a good idea to ask oneself whether observed actions make sense from the actor as a townie.  Furthermore, a scumtell is more than just a piece of evidence.  It is a topic to ask the actor about.  Questions about odd/scummy-looking actions help gather evidence for/against scumhood, and help players evaluate the scumminess of said actions.

The newbie tendency to screw up should be kept in mind when looking at everything, as a contextual factor when determining whether an action makes sense for town.  It should not overwhelm everything, but it must be considered.

On asking questions directed to "Everybody"/"Everyone": This is not the best idea, as people tend to miss these.

That makes sense. I bring this up because the last beginner game was significantly derailed by an argument about the validity of scumtells and motivations for playing the game as we do. (Also, my apologies for the broad question.)

Tn5421 and darkpaladin109: Since you both were in the last beginner's mafia game, which was a sprint, how do you expect this game will differ? How will you be changing your playstyles to adapt to those differences?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 09:53:24 pm »

Tiruin: You recently participated in a game with this setup, but without the teaching elements: NSBM 4.  What did you learn from that game that you can apply to this game?
NSBM4?
Without the teaching elements? :x
Was I a bad IC then?

PFP examtime soon

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 09:55:06 pm »

Tiruin: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 4.  You weren't an IC, because it had no ICs.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 10:42:37 pm »

tn5421: Imagine you're a cop.  What would you consider to be your goal in your night inspects: finding scum or finding town?

I would investigate someone I couldn't get a strong read on one way or another.

I'm going to play normally.  I will take note of people not fully answering questions.

someone from MafiaScum is probably more knowledgeable than someone from EpicMafia

Thanks for the laugh.

Tn5421 and darkpaladin109: Since you both were in the last beginner's mafia game, which was a sprint, how do you expect this game will differ? How will you be changing your playstyles to adapt to those differences?

I expect it to take longer and be more of a thinking game than a go-with-your-gut game.
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »

Tiruin: You recently participated in a game with this setup, but without the teaching elements: NSBM 4.  What did you learn from that game that you can apply to this game?
NSBM4?
Without the teaching elements? :x
Was I a bad IC then?

PFP examtime soon

Tiruin

Don't dodge the question.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2014, 10:47:04 pm »

I didn't even know the question was speaking about Not So Beginner's Mafia 4 >.>
I mean, 'So' didn't register as a possible capital letter!

So what I lear-
In truth, my mind is blanked when I read and re-read NSBM4, so I'll be reading it up and getting back to some hands-on experience to jog my memory.

My mind is busy with literature and telling stories at the moment. Worldbuilding and finding out the best way to hang the Count with the use of a portcullis, a matchstick and a pretender. Sorry.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2014, 11:55:15 pm »

Tiruin: Do what you need to do, but do remember to eventually answer my question (if that wasn't meant as an answer) and RangerCado's questions (which you haven't mentioned).
... finding out the best way to hang the Count with the use of a portcullis, a matchstick and a pretender.
A Bay 12 specialty.

tn5421: Imagine you're a cop.  What would you consider to be your goal in your night inspects: finding scum or finding town?
I would investigate someone I couldn't get a strong read on one way or another.
tn5421: Not exactly what I meant by the question, but okay.  Let's try something similar to my intention, but informative in a different way:
Which would you prefer to find by day 3 as a cop: two townies, or one scum?

I'm going to play normally.  I will take note of people not fully answering questions.
Interesting.  Yet you ask no questions yourself.  Why?

A final note: It would be nice if you used the forum's main quote function ("quote" button in the top right corner of each post).  I like quotes that are linked to the posts they're quoted from.  It's much easier for other players to check the context of the quotes, and much easier on players when the thread starts getting long.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 12:03:38 am »

I would prefer to find two townies on day 3.  Knowing who is town for sure means you can determine scum by process of elimination.

I'm not a big fan of the barely-game-related questions that get asked at the start of a game.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 12:34:52 am »

I'm not a big fan of the barely-game-related questions that get asked at the start of a game.
tn5421: D'accord.  Honestly, I don't think anyone is much of a fan of them, but they at least get people talking.
However, I would think that, when searching for question-evaders, one would want there to be more questions to evade.

Another topic: what do you think of Tiruin's most recent post?
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2014, 12:46:19 am »

I think he tried to post while focusing on something else.  I don't really know what else to think about it other than be confused.

I don't mind if he doesn't answer now, as long as he eventually answers (Depending on the actual answer, of course)

How do you feel about my slot, knowing that I've been scum 2 out of 2 completed games on this forum?

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 12:48:09 am »

Let me revise that:

Jack A T: How do you feel about my slot, knowing that I've been scum 2/2 completed games on this forum?

Sorry for forgetting the Q/A format, I'm used to doing @user: and/or using a post tag to link the post I'm talking about.  Example: @57: or [post]57[/post]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26