Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Leaping Puma: Panzergrenadiere Trials {Turn 6: Slow awakening}  (Read 16063 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leaping Puma: Panzergrenadiere Trials

It is year 1944 and Germany is losing the war. There is no avoiding a truth that only becomes clearer to any commander not blinded by the wrath and passion of a would-be messiah of the people. Forced to fight a losing war on both sides after the Eastern Front was all but lost after brutal fighting and the Allied disembark on Normandy's beaches provided them with yet another concern, the Reich is weakening and the Axis is crumbling with it. Casualties and constant conflict from all sides means lack of manpower is one of the most pressing issues for the Germans' war effort, followed closely by the loss of petrol-producing territory that risk forcing the swift and mobile Heer to stop dead on its tracks. The first issue is addressed by giving weapons to recruits either too young or too old to fight, while the second one forces the Panzer divisions to put high importance in capturing Allied fuel supplies. Some amidst the High Command still hang onto the hope of crushing the Western forces for a reason or another; either to have leverage for an armistice or dreaming about winning the war after focusing their forces solely on the Eastern front. The ambitions, dreams and hopes of officers notwithstanding, something must be done before they suffer yet another humiliating defeat in such a major conflict.

It is a time for desperate measures. And so begins Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein, Operation Watch on the Rhine.

24 December 1944, outskirts of Bastogne, Belgium. Elements of the 15th Panzergrenadier Division join Panzer Lehr's 901st Regiment and the 26th Volksgrenadier Division. An influx of walking Panzertruppen, followed by soldiers either inside armored vehicles or sitting on the hull or back of several half-tracks, arrives at the scene. The group is a mix of older men, baby-faced recruits and weary veterans from either the Italian campaign or the Eastern front. They do not have much time to rest before orders are relayed and a series of attacks are ordered, with the reconnaissance teams sent far ahead of the main force in order to pinpoint enemy positions and numbers as well as eliminate any enemy scouting forces.

You are part of that group. At least one of you probably hoped to become a Panzer ace, destroying opposition inside a Panther or Tiger; others may be excitable young recruits with far less experience than willingness to fight; a few may even be personnel from a different branch of the Wehrmacht, left "jobless" as Germany lost space in sea and air, and finally, it's likely some of you wouldn't even like to be fighting in the war, though for one reason or another you are found yourself drawn into it. You have been recently designated as the crew of a Sd.Kfz. 234/2 Schwerer Panzerspähwagen "Puma", a fairly light and fast armored car transferred from the 2nd Panzer Division. Its speed means the vehicle in your hands is a great asset for scouting, heavy reconnaissance assignments and eliminating weak opposition, but having thin armor will force you to pick your fights. Try and survive during Germany's ambitious offensive in the Ardennes.

About: This game is actually the test run for an idea I had. Since the original idea would require a lot of commitment and reasonably sturdy mechanics, and since my schedule is messed up, I decided to get this started to develop the system and correct any inefficiencies before deciding whether I can make the leap to the original idea.

As you may have noticed, this is a WWII RtD. Though I'm not too much of a history buff, I will try to keep things mostly believable. Even if a few pieces do not fit history perfectly, I will strive to keep things interesting and fun as they should be. Selection will not be First Come First Serve. I will analyze the applications and choose the ones that fit better.

There is a minimum of three players for the game to start - the Commander, Gunner & Driver trio - with Support soldiers numbering at a maximum of two or three depending on the applications. The radio operator/secondary driver role, responsible for steering the four rear wheels when needed, will be filled by a NPC unless someone feels like taking it. In that case, the Driver occupation's equipment and abilities apply.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Occupations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vote (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:51:17 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:21:57 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Leaping Puma: Panzergrenadiere Trials
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:36:43 am »

Name: Nora Fuchs
Description: [Young; scars of war not showing; has years of life experience; lithe in figure; possesses a philosophical nature]
Extras: [Trustworthy and is said to support morale rather strongly; maternal attitude; carries a small locket by her side at all times]
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Veteran: Yes
Luck Point: 1/1
Vote:  Rookie

Also of note to y'all: While this seems to be based on the WWII stuff, the game is pretty much free in anywhere else but the lore and weapons and stuff.
I say stuff a lot.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:05:52 am by Tiruin »

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

*claps like monkey* I can give you pretty simulator pictures.

Name: Hans Schultz
Description: Stocky, short person. Swears like a wharfie.
Extras: Sociopath. Likes explosions.
Abilities: Deadeye I
Inventory: Duct tape, Feldbluse tankmen uniform
Veteran: No
Luck Point: 2/2
Vote: Rookie, ain't nobody one-shotting me (though this armoured car is really really shitty)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:31:45 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

blazing glory

Name: Karl Dietrich.

Description:Somewhat tall,aged around 40-ish,has a very tired look about him,probably from surviving as long as he has in the war,his hair seems to be going gray early,is a pessimist.

Extras: Has been fighting for 2 years,mostly survived as long as he did from pure luck before getting enough combat experience,had a wife that died of illness,you ain't his friend until you've followed him into the Jaws of death and came back out,has been shot 4 times,he doesn't really tell you much about himself.

Abilities:Daredevil II,Mechanic II.

Inventory: C96 Mauser,Pocket knife,locket with a picture of a women in it.

Veteran: Yes.

Vote: Rookie.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:20:13 am by blazing glory »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Name: Hans Fuchs
Description: rather young, in his early twenties at most, and with very much a "deer in the headlights" look to him. His uniform seems a tad large on his rather skinny frame.
Extras: rushed through his academy training big time due to the demands of the war, Hans can't say he's ever participated in any engagements prior to this one. One can understand why he might feel a touch nervous about this.
Abilities: Awareness I, Awareness II (upgrade)
Inventory: MP40, Pistol, uniform, binoculars and headphones, a small picture of his mother kept in his pants pocket, a small copy of a cheesy romance novel kept in a pocket over his heart.
Veteran: No
Luck Point: 2/2
Vote: Rookie
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:48:58 am by Harry Baldman »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Harry: That's only Awareness II since you've upgraded it :)

@blazing glory: You got the mechanics on the Veteran bonus spot-on. If you pick it, it's [whatever occupation ability says] +3 ability points.

Also some...brought duct tape. :v
...We only need one more Support role.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

I can fix the tank AND tape M24's together to make an anti-tank grenade!
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 07:57:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Just realised I picked the same surname as Tiru's character. Want to have our characters be related somehow, or should I change it? :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:22:12 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 08:28:19 am »

Edit: Just realised I picked the same surname as Tiru's character. Want to have our characters be related somehow, or should I change it? :P

Wait, idea. Let's all of us have the same last name. Also, you misspelled your last name, it seems.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

o_o

No really. A...family? xD

Oh dear me. In an armored car?
...Somehow I randomly thought of a mafia-esque tour...but we're not even anywhere near italy.
Also SURE Yoink!

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Name: Franz Fuchs
Description: Young and incredibly ugly, with a torn uniform.
Extras: Can't read.
Abilities: Kleine Klaus, Freeshooter II, Explosive Blitz II
Inventory:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:54:13 pm by darkpaladin109 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh boy.
I'm not sure what Caellath will think about us turning his gritty WW2 game into a happy family roadtrip in a Panzer, but oh well... >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Y'all are going with my name? o-o

Oh dear.

Name: Franz Fuchs
Description: Young and incredibly ugly, with a torn uniform.
Extras: Can't read.
Abilities: Kleine Klaus, Freeshooter, Explosive Blitz
Inventory:
You are missing 2 points, good sir. :p (or need to designate the tier of expertise you are in with roman numerals)
Also you need grenades.

Veteranship works this way:
Non-Supports get 3 points added to their one point, so 4 points to spend.
Supports get 3 points added to their two points, so 5 points to spend.

Anything below the Abilities that is not under the 'Pick x' (like the Commander's Awareness I) is inherent -- you got that. Like the Grenadier I.

Oh boy.
I'm not sure what Caellath will think about us turning his gritty WW2 game into a happy family roadtrip in a Panzer, but oh well... >.>
This had me laughing. xD
Also less of a tank and more of an armored car.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:58:01 am by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@smurfington: There are occupation-specific inventories, by the way. Gunner means you're the armored car's gunner, manning the 50mm cannon and the co-axial MG42. Your personal inventory is rather limited due to the fact you're expected to stay within the car during missions and good equipment's starting to get scarce with Germany losing the war.

@Fuchs Family: I have no problem with many people having the same last name as long as not everyone goes with it or it could be rather strange. And the degree of grittiness for the PCs depends on how many bad decisions they make and how badly the rolls go. Being a tricky bastard both during scouting or combat duties will get you better results, which reminds me I need to add the Flammenwerfer 41, Tellermines and S-Mines to the arsenal.
>Yes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9