Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Leaping Puma: Panzergrenadiere Trials {Turn 6: Slow awakening}  (Read 16065 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

After checking most applications, here's what I think: A few people who chose veteran characters could detail their past or application a little more. In case you want to omit their past to reveal it during the game that's fine, but I believe there are may be other ways to convey their veterancy, such as trinkets and small details. A couple of applications seem fairly good despite their succinctness. The amount of Support Veterans was within expectations, what with having the most spots and having the most options of all as far as abilities went.

On the role of the radio operator/secondary driver: they were apparently also the main weapon's loader in case of combat. That may be inconsequential since the only person who displayed interest in that spot was Persus13, but his character seems to be Waffen SS material and I'd rather avoid the implications of that.

Anyone has any questions, by the way?
I'm detailing my sheet--just in a whirlpool of worry, writer's block and busy-busy. x_x
Pardon that, Cael, yet I really want to aid you in this test of yours. ;3

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll just begin picking applications in a while and open a new spot to include the aforementioned forumite later in case they want, with no harm caused to anyone else. Driver, Gunner and Commander all have a single application each, which turns out to be slightly disappointing. I should have mentioned it before, but I'm not against posting more than one application per player to provide for more competition in occupations other than support.

In case no more applications are submitted, I'll post the first turn tonight. Due to the fact I got sick pretty badly, that might be delayed, though hopefully it won't happen.

@blazing glory: You should add those modifications to your original post.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile

I added a tragic backstory and motivations to my character.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And here's my sheet!

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:20:02 am by adwarf »

blazing glory

Sheet modified.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leaping Puma: Panzergrenadiere Trials {Turn 1: Drizzle}
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 03:14:08 am »

Turn 1: Drizzle

It is dark. The smell of diesel, gasoline and wet grass permeates the area as soldiers and machinery start moving some time before the solar disc has even started its ascent to the skies. A few men are sitting or laying across the cold hull of vehicles, sleeping bags or makeshift mattresses, either trying to make the best out of the last bits of time they have available to rest or awakening to cold winds and the kind of drizzle that seems to have existed since times immemorial only to annoy unfortunate footsoldiers and drench their clothes after exposure to the elements. No fog obscures the area, but any seasoned grenadier knows best than trusting the weather to not have any surprises in stock.

Both soldiers and vehicles of the scouting force are already either ready or very close to it; most if not all of the late-wakers moving around the armored cars and tents are men too young to be in a war. A few words of order are shouted, men of importance trying to be heard over the dim of trucks and half-tracks repositioning in preparation for the operation. A few Panzers move past your position: large Tigers, Panthers and even a Königstiger, all of them commanded by officers and non-commissioned officers whose faces as they peer out the hatch lean more towards worry and focus than the pride and gleam most would expect. "Knocking your enemy's tank before you get to test the quality of your armor is always the best option." the NCO sitting next to your vehicle with a mug of tea remarks. Black hair, brown eyes and the face of someone who had grown older surprisingly fast - that was Unteroffizier Anselm Dietrich, the man assigned to lead the reconnaissance mission.

The mission is to be carried by several other rookie or hastily-cobbled squads, so at the very least you aren't going to be alone. Partially due to how fresh the crews are, the initial instructions were very simple; follow Anselm's car - a SdKfz 232 with long-range radio equipment - most of the way and upon reaching the crossroads located close to one of Bastogne's exits, the NCO would have part of the cars scan the area for enemy scouts while the rest moved to the last known position of the enemy to report any changes. "Any questions before we get going?" The man asks after finishing his already cold tea and running his gaze over the crews close by, his eyes stopping at every young, inexperienced commander he spots. "Or maybe you could use a piece of advice."

Spoiler: Vehicle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sheets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Posting (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:16:38 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2014, 06:29:53 am »

Looking rather miserable with rainwater dripping from the tip of his nose, Thomas Fuchs just watches the officer in silence.
He fidgets with the strap of his rifle as the man speaks, casting a gloomy look at the rest of the crew- and the vehicle they were to be working with. He wasn't feeling terribly enthusiastic about the whole thing to begin with, and seeing their flimsy armoured car next to Tigers and Panthers and the various other tanks named after jungle cats, well...
Thomas might know a lot more about perfumes than he does armour and weapons, but the hull doesn't look like it'd do much against a shell.

'Hopefully at least some of the crew know their stuff,' he thinks to himself, his gaze going back to his companions, 'If we're all as clueless I am this "puma" shan't fare well out there.'

Wait 'til we're ordered to move out, inspect the rest of the team.
Which of them look like experienced soldiers, and which look like cannon fodder? Who looks likeliest to get me through this in one piece?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 07:21:29 am »

"Uh, a Puma. Great, I'm in wheeled cannon fodder." Hans sneers in disapproval of the armored car. "Why not a Tiger? WHY?"

Check out what sorts of shells the Puma has. AT or HE? Also check out the rest of the team.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 07:52:30 am »

Reiner looked over at his new gunner with apprehension, shaking his head he replied,

"You'll be damn glad it isn't a Tiger the first time we run into an enemy, we're recon not front-liners, if we get bogged down where we need a Tiger then we're already dead. Anyways the Puma is about thirty-five kilometers an hour faster than the Tiger, that speed is the reason its a recon vehicle, and the reason why we aren't driving a Tiger around. You just worry about shooting the enemy dead, I'll make sure we're going so damn fast they can't hit us, its a win-win situation."

With that done Reiner turned to the NCO, and took the chance to ask him something that had been bothering him for a bit now,

"Do we have any idea of the enemy force's composition, whether they have tanks, AT gear, recon vehicles of their own, mines?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 08:59:53 am »

"A piece of advice would be much appreciated, sir," Hans says in as genial a voice as he can manage, which is to say one quite lacking in any sort of good cheer whatsoever.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leaping Puma: Panzergrenadiere Trials {Miniturn: Drizzle}
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 03:02:03 pm »

Miniturn: Drizzle

Which of them look like experienced soldiers, and which look like cannon fodder? Who looks likeliest to get me through this in one piece?

Thomas takes a moment to try and evaluate his comrades, managing to notice a few details. The gunner seems both disappointed and new to the battlefield, the radio operator smells green, and the commander looks and sounds a bit too young and fresh, though the rank displayed on his uniform is of a NCO candidate. At least three members of the group have insignia denoting experience: a wrinkled old man with glasses sitting precariously atop his nose; a woman wearing an early, higher-quality version of the M36 uniform which has seen some wear, and the driver in black panzer wraps and a blackened steel piece pendant.

Check out what sorts of shells the Puma has. AT or HE? Also check out the rest of the team.

Anselm pretends he hasn't heard the gunner's derisive comment as the newcomer hops into the armored car to check the types of shells available. He miraculously finds fifteen Pzgr. 40/1 (APCR) shells mixed in with twenty Sprgr. 38 (HE), ten PzGr (AP-HE) and ten PzGr. 39 (APBC-HE). Probably mistakenly delivered, the "arrowhead" 40/1 shells are notorious and currently scarce tank-killers capable of making KwK 39 cannons punch way above their weight.

His partners are an elderly man with glasses and a K98k, a not-too-old man who's also bespectacled and is playing with his Sturmgewehr 44's strap, a female soldier in veteran attire with a 5cm mortar and medical supplies, a well-ranked driver with a burnt metal pendant, the young radio operator/secondary driver, and a young, apparently nervous commandant.

"Do we have any idea of the enemy force's composition, whether they have tanks, AT gear, recon vehicles of their own, mines?"

The NCO puts his mug aside before intertwining his fingers. "The enemy's main battle force is an armored punch with medium and heavy tanks coupled with artillery and infantry, but we are not tackling that. All we expect to encounter during reconnaissance are scouting elements or even a few advanced groups trying to prepare anti-tank emplacements. You might already have had some experience with some of their half-tracks and light tanks, and towed AT guns are a possibility. Mines aren't expected unless you're close to their main encampment or any position they have started to fortify."

"A piece of advice would be much appreciated, sir,"

Anselm sighs deeply, his face tensing slightly as he tries to make a mental list of all advice he could give to a rookie. "First of all, do not engage in combat. Choose running over fighting at all times unless you have orders to engage or you find yourself in a situation where you just have to take risks. Attacking the crew of AT gun crews as they're preparing to fire at our force is an example of such a risk. Second, maintain radio contact at all times. Third, whether you're escaping or attacking, keep your thicker front armor and gun mantlet turned towards the enemy or at least their biggest gun." The non-commissioned officer points at your vehicle. "These cars can move in reverse very well, make use of that."

"If you are told to fight, have the fight be in your terms. In case you have time to prepare the area of engagement, plant mines and mess with the ground in some places to make it look you have planted more mines than you actually have - they'll waste time trying to disarm inexistent mines until they get tired and fall for the real ones. Many of their tanks and vehicles can't move off road worth a shit, so set ambushes near those." He stops for a moment to take a breath and lift his mug only to remember there's no more tea inside. "If you have the opportunity, assume hull-down position with some foliage behind your car, put that camouflage net to work and fire from there until your position is compromised. When attacking convoys, you should be positioned at an angle to the road and some placed mines; wait for the first vehicle to pop a mine then disable the last one to get the rest boxed in. When forced to fight anything with heavier armor anywhere with hills, wait until they're cresting one to fire at their bottom armor."

"Always try to move and flank enemy positions and unless you're camouflaged and stationed, keep moving while you aren't shooting. And pray you never have to use that MP40 to shoot anyone climbing up your vehicle. Good enough?"

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:28:36 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Leaping Puma: Panzergrenadiere Trials {Turn 1: Drizzle / Miniturn I}
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »

"Right, makes sense. Let's hope this works out, then. Sir."

Ready to roll out with a maximum of caution.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 03:31:34 pm »

"Well if that's it I say we get this operation rolling, there's nothing quite like a good recon mission to make the rookies piss their pants, well there's artillery bombardment but that's an entirely different matter."

With a grin Reiner turns, and climbs into the Puma to find the rookie gunner sorting through the ammunition to see what all they had presumably, but who knows with rookies. Shrugging Reiner talks over his shoulder as he takes a seat,

"Hey rookie once we get a move on go ahead, and get an HE shell loaded into the gun, we have to be prepared because if you fuck up we're all dead. Same goes for me naturally, but we'll burn that bridge when we get there, also if we have any Pzgr. 40/1s do not use them in any circumstance unless ordered to because we damn well can't go wasting the one thing that's going to save our asses if we run into any heavy armor."

Leaning back in his seat Reiner took a good look around the Puma and instantly felt a bit of relief, being behind the wheel was relaxing and hell it even reminded him of the days back at his father's transport company. Of course those days didn't threaten to hold his death within the next few hours ... well not all of them anyway.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:53 pm »

"Wait, a female? In a tank? WHAT?"

Hans flips out a little. This is not a normal thing.

"Oh, yeah, HE shell is getting loaded now. Are we hunting down enemy infantry or something?"

Slot in a HE shell. Check if the coaxial machine gun is loaded. Get ready to roll out.

RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 04:45:14 pm »

"The opposition we're most likely to run into are light vehicles, and infantry so HE shells will work perfectly fine for our needs not to mention I plan to keep us out of firefights. You don't survive in war by trying to be the hero ..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9