Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Incursion (open source) play & development  (Read 79654 times)

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Incursion (open source) play & development
« on: June 10, 2014, 03:55:39 pm »

Incursion is a freeware ASCII Roguelike released in 2007.  Based on the Wizards of the Coast d20 system, the player starts in a dungeon and works their way down to give the Goblin King what he has coming to him.  The game is playable, though not finished.  A player can complete the game, and it is reputed to be full of interesting and satisfying content.

INSERT SCREENSHOT HERE

Useful Links

You can download the latest version from here: Bitbucket download page.
You can report bugs here: Bitbucket issues page.

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Q. The game is unplayable, what do I do?
  • A. Currently, only bug fixes are made in each new version.  Go back to the preceding version from the download page.
  • Q. Why does my numeric keypad not work?
  • A. Toggle your numlock key.   SDL2 does not care about your numeric keypad because it is designed for touch screen devices.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:08:22 pm by chooseusername »
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »

(maybe add in the opening a short description of what is Incursion for those not knowing what it is all about)

Anyways, a few links for those interested :

the online manual :
http://www.incursion-roguelike.org/man/Manual.html

the wiki :
http://incursion.wikidot.com/

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:23:23 pm »

As I stated in the previous thread, I'm level 3 now and don't die to random monsters anymore.
I feel like I'm done, as deeper dungeon levels seem to be the same as dungeon lvl 1. What should I strife for now?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:31:26 pm »

Getting to dungeon level 10 and killing the goblin king, mostly. Unless you're playing challenge or nightmare, in which case it's dlvl 15.

There are changes in dungeon generation as you get deeper, though... some, anyway. There's a few rooms that won't generate above a certain depth. Vaults, troll/mindslayer lairs, stuff like that. And, of course, you encounter all sorts of new critters to get violently murdered by.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 04:57:35 pm »

As I stated in the previous thread, I'm level 3 now and don't die to random monsters anymore.
I feel like I'm done, as deeper dungeon levels seem to be the same as dungeon lvl 1. What should I strife for now?
From what I've seen pretty interesting vaults and artifacts await.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion (open source) play & development
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »

Are there any good playthroughs with player commentary, like 'I press < to run, then the direction I wish to run to.'  and 'The inventory is a little different, I do this by pressing this and then this..'

Basically, someone could watch the video, play it, and see what the game has to offer, but also get dropped hints about all the little things that a player who is in the groove does.
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:17:47 am »

Here's a Y11 save with a persistent crash:

http://www.filedropper.com/lisva

It triggers after a little while, just waiting should work.

This is the farthest I've ever got before crashing. So there's progress!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:25 am »

Upholding the offer from the previous thread: beginners post the questions and they get them answered.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »

How do Paladins fight?
Charge with their lance and keep stabbing with the lance?
Charge with their lance, switch to off weapons+shield and then confinue fighting?
Charge with their lance, back away and charge again?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:20:38 pm »

You... could do it any of those ways. One of the ones I won with mostly talked their way out of everything, with a side of stabbing (sword/board), not really bothering with charging or the lance, just the starting holy sword (well, one of the others did that literally -- used the starting +1 holy long sword for pretty much the entire game. Holy is a helluva' brand.). I've actually only charged something, like. Probably five times total in all the years I've played Incursion :P I understand it can get pretty incredibly powerful (though it takes a druid to get things really silly, mostly), but there's more opportunity costs and setup involved than I'm normally willing to bother with. Easier to just stab things and not bother charging at all.

If you're going for weapon swapping shenanigans, I'd probably aim for quick draw or whatever it is, to keep from being murdered while swapping. Or just keep stabbing with the lance. You can back away and re-charge (or back away for the weapon swap), but that involves potential attacks of opportunity and whatnot. Something to be careful with.

... but ultimately the answer to your question is "Yes." more than anything. You can do any of those and manage decently well, it's just a matter of how you work it. Just pay extremely careful attention to what whatever you're charging is wielding. Charging something with a reach weapon is a good way to get absolutely demolished, iirc.
Ask not!
Ask!

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »

:o Does this mean that the development has resumed?
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 11:17:40 pm »

Signs point to yes.

I don't know much about the game itself. I spent a long time reading all the background stuff when making a new character, a ranger that used mounted combat because I haven't seen that in a roguelike before. Then I started and went out on foot, found a creature in some water that ignored me until I threw something at it. I think it was a woodchuck if I recall correctly. Somehow it killed me, I assume because I was in the water. I'll give it another try soon, it seems like fun if you know what to do.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:25:24 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:17 pm »

Yeah, sounds like your mistake there was not opening up the 'u'se menu and bringing forth an animal companion (probably a nighthunter, since those things are the Best Mount) to ride around on. Then probably getting into a fistfight with a porpoise, since those're the only things I can remember that might be waterbound and well capable of wrecking a first level character (well... maybe an osquip, but I don't think those are particularly fond of water) and there aren't woodchucks in the game :P

Or weren't woodchucks, anyway. Dunno if someone's slipped one in or not, heh.

Also yeah, fighting in the water can be a problem, especially if it's early and you're not a lizard. If you look at the square with water in it and press x, you can get a rundown as to what water entails for you. The tl;dr version is "Stay out if you don't have a decent (5-10+) swimming score". Just moving through deeper water, nevermind fighting in it, is a risk if you've got a swim score of less than 4-5. Beyond the drowning damage, it's a good way to lose any potions you don't have in your bag.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 05:29:51 am »

Well, apparently I can't attack adjacent target with a great lance, so I guess the keep charging tactic works.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 01:59:34 am »

I tried playing a monk, recently. But at first level, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options except fight stuff till it dies (or you do). Am I doing something wrong ? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24