Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - Dance 3 - TOWN WIN  (Read 88061 times)

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Masquerade - The First Dance Has Begun
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2014, 02:29:21 am »

Everyone in general : In the three primary tone (RGB), by gut feeling which one do you feel is the most scummy?
For me I would say red as typical video game use red as the color for enemy.
Do you intend to colour profile and give it weight in your decisions?

Not really unless some kind of pattern emerges.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2014, 02:37:59 am »

@Toony: Whyever would I want to eat you Toony? :P

Everyone in general : In the three primary tone (RGB), by gut feeling which one do you feel is the most scummy?
Currently, I'm assuming the mask colors are random. Ask again in a few nights, and I might have a decent profile.

Anyone (Or everyone): In a setup with defined roles, rolefishing is a fairly scum-sided action. Does this style of game change that dynamic?

Well it's certainly more complicated. On one hand scum (at least in Chose your own Mafia) have an advantage in their ability to coordinate their powers. Claiming could allow town a nice advantage as well. On the other hand with power steal and changeling, I could see scum rolefishing and benefiting greatly from it. I'm also not sure if there are any third parties in this game. I don't think there are, but I'm not 100 sure, and that could be a major element in a mass claim.

@Reverie: Wait you're Flandre. . . Ok that makes sense :P. How do you think Deep-South will affect the game?

@Toaster: The Lord Toaster has returned! But without legs how will you dance?
Do you think town benefits more from Information, Protection, or Buff Powers? (Or Killing roles I supposes, but generally not)

@4mask: Which bastard game did you play in? (as your second game)

@Spacefaye: I don't reconize you, have you played here before?

@Flabort: It seems like the masques are a scum advantage, but would basicly scum only powers like gossip be stronger or weaker without it?

@Scripten: Good Luck on your first game-ish! Take it from my experience, lurking is bad, making a bad case is worse. Play smart and I'm sure you'll keep your head above water. If you were scum, what would the power you want most be?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2014, 03:25:13 am »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2014, 03:55:59 am »

Jiokuy:
@Reverie: Wait you're Flandre. . . Ok that makes sense :P. How do you think Deep-South will affect the game?
Without nights, this game should be more involved than usual - good town play will be especially important for its success. The mask mechanic benefits scum more than it does for town, so we have a lot of ground to cover if we expect to get organised.

Do you think Deep-South gameplay will be more prone to lurking than the average mafia game, Jiokuy?

4maskwolf: If a player report were to appear at the end of the day that looked bad for that player, would you sooner suspect the player in question, or a potential gossip?

Deathsword:
Deathsword: Can you dance?
Yup
Great, you can be my partner ^^

Which information would be more important to you: action intel, or knowing the face behind a mask?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 06:50:05 am »

@Scripten: Good Luck on your first game-ish! Take it from my experience, lurking is bad, making a bad case is worse. Play smart and I'm sure you'll keep your head above water. If you were scum, what would the power you want most be?

Thanks! It's more complicated than I am used to, but I think it'll be alright.

That's an interesting question in this setup. After all, powers could be chosen for the situation. I'd say Gossip. It's a fairly safe power and protects the scum player from that biggest threat, the lynch.

Varee: You said that you intend to fake cluelessness to prove you are town. That seems very fishy to me and rather scum-sided. That, along with your view that rolefishing is not scummy, makes me feel like you're setting up a wall to hide behind later on if/when you are called out for other scummy actions. How do you intend to help the town win with such an attitude?

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2014, 07:00:27 am »

snip
You missed the context, I did that in the other mafia game , i dont intend to do it again as it wouldnt work anyway. Also I feel rolefishing is pointless for scum to do as they pretty much know who no to kill and the rest is just expendable. So I firmly believe this benefit the town more than it benefit the scum as the more you lie the more mistake you tend to make and rolefishing will result in lies.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2014, 07:26:20 am »

Varee: In the BYOR you faked cluelessness to prove you were town. Do you think this will make any new genuine mistakes you make look scummy?

I cannot answer that question as it is my intention to do that. It is the others who decided to interpret my actions as scummy or not.

So this was a typo and you meant to say "it is not my intention to do that"? I can go with that for now, as long as it doesn't come up later that you try to claim naivete as cover.

snip
Also I feel rolefishing is pointless for scum to do as they pretty much know who no to kill and the rest is just expendable. So I firmly believe this benefit the town more than it benefit the scum as the more you lie the more mistake you tend to make and rolefishing will result in lies.

Are we talking about a mass claim where everyone ends up knowing everyone else's roles? I don't buy that. Say there are five vanilla townies in a game and two scum. That leaves you with a 2 in 7 chance of catching scum the first lynch, a 1 in 3 the next day (If you mislynched; an initial success makes it even harder), and so on. However, you're almost guaranteed to lose a power role. Even if scum claims a power role and the real RP makes a hard claim, you either have a mislynch or a NK that takes care of them. Not a good situation. And, if townies don't claim or lie themselves, then you have a bunch of false tells that muddy the waters, which is incredibly anti-town. It's just a bad situation, entirely. If we're not talking mass claims, then all it takes is for you to force a PR to hard claim and you've given scum the best possible choice for a lynch. Scum do not know PR players inherently, but it is undeniable that eliminating town PRs is great for scum, so the whole idea that rolefishing doesn't harm the town is incorrect.

Now, this game it's a little different, since we choose our powers. The power roles equivalents could manifest at any time in the game, so roles are fluid and individuals are not as necessarily vital. That's why I asked the question I did in my first post. However, I still find your support of rolefishing to be suspicious. I would also still like to know how you intend to support a town win. What strategies are you planning to use to scumhunt?

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2014, 07:50:50 am »

The word suppose to be WAS, not, is. Sorry my english is not perfect.

The other thing I worried about is if one of the town decide to take matter into his own hand and start randomly killing people too. It something that is possible in this kind of game and i think it will be considered griefing in other game but I don't know if it is in this game. Also Rolefisihing in my term is not mass claim but claim like am town or am thrid party which doesn't really goes against town process. It just give more info to work with. Also why would town lie or someone claim they are mafia?Unless they goal is to get lynch or something it would not make any sense anyway. And what is power role? like detective? i dont think we will have that problem in this game......

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:18 am »

Varee:

Red, clearly.  That said, I don't believe for a second that there will be a true connection between mask colors and alignment.  Keep in mind that there are mask swapping powers as well; just because scum started with a certain mask combination doesn't mean they'll stay that way.

Jiouky:
@Toaster: The Lord Toaster has returned! But without legs how will you dance?

Skillfully.

Do you think town benefits more from Information, Protection, or Buff Powers? (Or Killing roles I supposes, but generally not)

Information.  Protection roles aren't that strong to begin with (and I imagine everyone and their mother took Hardcore).  Here, they're even weaker with the mask targeting.  Buffing is nice, but you can never be sure you're buffing the right person, and doubly so with the masks.  Information is what separates the town and scum- there's a reason it's uninformed majority versus informed minority.

A vigilante role can be defined as informational, since the correct use of it is to remove suspects.  Use it like a scalpel, not a cleaver.

Do you think you'll see Day 2 this time?

TolyK:  How will the lack of breaks in conversation affect scumhunting?  Will the change be positive or negative?

Toony:  Do you think the continuous activity will cause players to get burned out?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:02 am »

The Dance proceeds through a series of interlocking dirges and dirvishes. When you recover from the dizzying movement, you manage to catch a moment between the swirling to take note of the colour of the masks in the room. The intense candle light reflects off of twelve mask covering a inventive but not exhuastive range of colours and shade.

Masks
Lemon
Ochre
Scarlet
Ultramarine
Turquoise
Brown
White
Chrome
Black
Beige
Emerald
Puce

Guest List - Formal Requests For Unmasking
Reverie
Tiruin
Toaster
Deathsword
Varee - [1]
Wolf
Toony
Silthuri
Scripten
TolyK
Jiokuy
Flabort

Hammer is 7 votes. There are no longer any restrictions on targeting. Day ends when the hammer falls, or Monday 4PM BST (GMT+1).

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2014, 09:45:32 am »

Yeah for first vote :P

NQT: if someone change mask color will be be notify the next day? or is it a secret?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2014, 10:22:09 am »

I think it's somewhere between the three primaries, but closest to red; near to green, though. As a gut feeling. Oh, and not Lemon. Perhaps Beige, or Ochre.

@Flabort: It seems like the masques are a scum advantage, but would basicly scum only powers like gossip be stronger or weaker without it?
Gossip is weaker. You target a mask, and basically pick a player. There's a small chance that your fake-blatant report shows "lemon mask targeted Jiokuy", where Jiokuy happens to have the lemon mask (I don't actually know your mask, btw, that was a guess).
Vote Stealer remains roughly on par with previous, since you have as much of a chance of hitting someone with a no vote as before, and as much a chance of finding a double vote.
Sap and curse seem to not change in power, or very very slightly increase. Town can be more blatant with their spending and conversation about powers, and scum will be unable to target the person talking about their power without a lucky guess.

Basically, my answer is scum-sided powers are generally weaker with the masks.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2014, 10:25:05 am »

Also in a masquerade do you vote mask color or vote name?
I think you vote names, but action masks.
Right?

As for your question, probably Blue, because it makes no sense. PPE: Turquoise would be closest... >.>

TolyK:  How will the lack of breaks in conversation affect scumhunting?  Will the change be positive or negative?
I think it will be something of a landslide or cascade in terms of votes. Since this is almost like bandwagoning (except unintentional, for the most part), if scum plays on this then it's definitely negative.

And, I just thought of a question I'd like to ask Deathsword, Reverie and Silthuri: When do you think it would be appropriate for all the people to say which masks are whose (i.e. roleset-claim?) in order to figure out inspect results of everyone?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 10:33:05 am »

@Flabort
I , not having played a game like this before, feel like scum kind of have an advantage in that their can cooperate more. for example 2 peopel can pretty much kill 3 on the first turn if they have a kill and a free mimic?
Also they can devide role easier by letting one be support role and put reflect on they most important role constantly or something similar. This might get more interesting if there is more cooperation between player.
This is all amplify by the fact that they know each other mask and they also know their target, which is the rest of the group.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2014, 10:43:35 am »

@Flabort
I don't think I addressed you with a question...? Unless that was meant to be a question directed at me.
I certainly agree with these points that the masks are more scum sided, but it doesn't change my opinion that scum-only roles are less powerful with the masks.

Deathsword What kinds of behaviors might be scumslips when the masks are involved that are usually not? What kinds of scumslips are less so when the masks are involved?

Tiruin What plagues ail you? More seriously, which flaws do you expect town more likely to pick, and which ones are more scum-attractive.

Toaster How many players do you estimate are unable to vote?

4maskwolf How well do you waltz?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 64