-
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:14:26 am by freeformschooler »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Lucid Dream Thread: This Stuff Really Works Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:41:41 am »

This sounds interesting. I've got about a month left before I actually need to get proper sleep, so I think I'll try this.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:28 am »

I almost never remember my dreams, and I get a lucid dream on the order of once every several years.  And I've even tried these techniques already  :(

Sleep paralysis and I are best buddies, though  >_<

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:39 am »

I almost never remember my dreams, and I get a lucid dream on the order of once every several years.  And I've even tried these techniques already  :(

Wait, you get sleep paralysis WITHOUT trying this stuff every night?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:49 pm »

Wait, you get sleep paralysis WITHOUT trying this stuff every night?
I've heard plenty of stories of people getting sleep paralysis randomly and freaking out about it. How do you think these stories about alien abduction came into being :P

Thanks for compiling a bunch of info in one place, I've looked into this before but it was hard to find good information.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:19:20 pm »

Huh. This stuff sounds pretty interesting, but sleep paralysis sounds extremely unpleasant. I might try MILD, but I'm not going to touch WILD with a ten-foot pole.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:23:31 pm »

I've heard plenty of stories of people getting sleep paralysis randomly and freaking out about it. How do you think these stories about alien abduction came into being :P

Now that you mention it, paralysis is a very common feature of nightly abduction stories.

Huh. This stuff sounds pretty interesting, but sleep paralysis sounds extremely unpleasant. I might try MILD, but I'm not going to touch WILD with a ten-foot pole.

It's trippy. Another thing I noticed: when your hypnagogia starts up, your heart rate will change, and your limbs will feel paralyzed (even though they aren't yet). How people stay calm in that state I have no idea.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:30:04 pm »

Hm, Lucid dreaming?

I might try MILD, I've had a couple of dreams of which I know its a dream, but am otherwise unable to alter the course of it. Might be interesting/fun to be able to just sort of manipulate events.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »

I journalled for about a month last year and managed to get a single lucid dream at the end of it. Every time I achieved lucidity beyond that the dream would go grey, I would start feeling dizzy and fall over then wake up in my bed (this must have happened four or five times). I kind of got sick of it but maybe I'll have another serious go now.

Thanks for the tips on reality checks, I'll certainly be trying the hands and nose breathing checks.

Hypagogic Illusions sound like the weird multi-coloured shapes on the inside of my eyelids I used to try to rotate when I was in bed as a kid. It actually worked sometimes.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »

I'm gonna try this. And it's for sure real science, Nature has published papers related to it. :-) Not sure about WILD, maybe after a month or two of MILD not being enough.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »

Glad to see someone started this topic, by coincidence I'd just started keeping a dream diary again, so thanks! I've had a fair few spontaneous lucid dream, but never much luck with deliberately inducing them (a lack of discipline, I think). Hopefully I'll have better luck this time round.

I wouldn't be too put off by sleep paralysis, as unpleasant as it is, it tends to only last a short time & can't cause you any real physical harm. If you ever get it try focusing on wriggling your toes. You'll generally find you can move your toes without too much trouble & the rest of your body will follow suit. That said the few people I know capable of Wake Induced Lucid Dreams have a fair bit of experience with other lucid dreams techniques, so probably not much point trying till you have a few under your belt anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 02:11:30 pm »

What if lucid dreams are merely dreams remembered which gave the illusion of control over them? How would you tell?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »

I've actually been trying things a bit like meditation and MILD when I can't sleep, interestingly. (not that it really worked iirc but hey :P)

What if lucid dreams are merely dreams remembered which gave the illusion of control over them? How would you tell?
How Can Dreams Be Real If Our Mind Isnt Real?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:19:01 pm »

The current consensus is "you don't know until you wake up." You can dream that you're lucid dreaming, but if you wake up and realize all of your choices, thoughts, and actions were completely retarded then you weren't actually lucid dreaming. If you wake up and feel that your stream of thoughts and actions in the dream are what "you," your waking self, would have done (absent any dream-logic) then it was a real lucid dream.

The other way we know it's different is stuff like this:

http://www.lucidity.com/SleepAndCognition.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:36:13 pm by freeformschooler »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 02:37:08 pm »

This looks AWESOME. I gotta try this.

I could finally find out what it's like to do all the cool stuff I wish I could do, like training pokemon or being a wizard. I'm totally going to start using the WILD + WBTB thing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21